PDA

View Full Version : Batman vs. Bun-Bun

GoC
2007-12-11, 02:23 PM
The dark avenger vs. the switch-blade wielding minilop?

My vote goes to Bun-Bun!

Clarification:
Scenario 1: They both arrived at our Earth two months ago with whatever they normaly carry and have been preparing for the fight since then.
Scenario 2: Batman is on his evening patrol when Bun-Bun attacks him for unknown reasons.
Scenario 3: Batman decides to take out the resident mafio boss "Bun".

A comparison:
{table]| Bun-Bun | Batman
Can benchpress | 3-4 tons | 200-300Kg
Resilence | nearly indestructable | bulletproof armor and very high natural resilence (but Bane can break his back)
Agility | physics defying, very small and hard to hit | agility of an olympic gymnast, expert at dodging
Fighting experience | has fought several different kinds of creatures, about 20 fights | has near limitless experience fighting humans (over 100,000 fights), lots of experience fighting superpowered humanoids (at least 100), little experience fighting non-humanoids, no experience fighting small creatures
Fighting techneques | slash slash | worlds best at martial arts, expert at battlefield analysis and at using terrain
Close range attack | magical switchblade (how else doesn't it break and always stays sharp?) | armored fists
Ranged attacks | high powered Glocks, superhuman speed gives excellent acuracy at close range | batarangs, perfect accuracy but projectile speed and damage is limited
Extras | demolition weaponry | Incredible stealth, can move about the city and escape rapidly with grappling hooks, utility belt has numerous tools, world's best detective[/table]

Batman's martial arts isn't going to aid him at all in the fight and his ranged attacks are easy to dodge for someone with super agility.
In everything else Batman is outclassed.

Tengu
2007-12-11, 02:27 PM
Batman wins with preparation. And it doesn't take much preparation to take down a bunny.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-12-11, 02:28 PM
... Daaaaayum, this is an epic fight.

I'm gonna have to give it to the Dark Knight, but it's really close.

Setra
2007-12-11, 03:03 PM
Batman, easy.

Bun-Bun has a weakness to preperation and deus ex machina.

Kitya
2007-12-11, 03:06 PM
Batman... as long as he shows up with the all the seasons of Baywatch... wasn't that bunbun's favorite show?

Dervag
2007-12-11, 03:35 PM
I'm going to have to say Batman after an extremely tough fight, or with preparation. But Bun-Bun might win if it were just a fight. Batman is quick and agile enough to have a good chance against Bun-Bun, but there are limits on how much preparation you can do against him.

A big part of it depends on just how angry Bun-Bun is at Batman. Bun-Bun only pulls out all the stops against enemies who have made him angry (say, by stealing or destroying valuable property), or who are trying to kill him.

sun_tzu
2007-12-11, 04:30 PM
Batman wins, but Bun-Bun makes him work for it.

The Bunny
2007-12-11, 04:35 PM
Hmmm... I wonder which one I would vote for....?:smallamused:

GoC
2007-12-11, 06:27 PM
I'm going to have to say Batman after an extremely tough fight, or with preparation. But Bun-Bun might win if it were just a fight. Batman is quick and agile enough to have a good chance against Bun-Bun, but there are limits on how much preparation you can do against him.

Tough and agile aren't going to help against someone who moves faster than Earths laws of physics allow and who can somehow slice through bone in a single stroke. Bun-Bun also has tactile telekenesis.

Bun-Bun's strength is in the 2-3 ton range, his endurance is so much higher than Batman's that it's not even funny and his speed... I'd like to know what wizard tells the laws of physics to shut up and sit down when Bun-Bun starts moving.

If it comes down to an unprepared 1v1 fight Bats is going to get owned.
In a prepared fight well... Batman would probably need to get into a heavily armored powersuit just to survive.

SnowballMan
2007-12-11, 07:32 PM
Depends entirely on which Batman we are talking about.

If it's the dark night of the comics, then yes, Bun-Bun will win simply because that's just too funny.

If we're talking about 1960's TV Batman, then Batman wins, because he would have on his utility belt a spray can that is clearly labeled Bun-Bun Repellent.

GoC
2007-12-11, 07:34 PM
Depends entirely on which Batman we are talking about.

If it's the dark night of the comics, then yes, Bun-Bun will win simply because that's just too funny.

If we're talking about 1960's TV Batman, then Batman wins, because he would have on his utility belt a spray can that is clearly labeled Bun-Bun Repellent.

Hehe.
I presume this is scenario 3?:smallamused:

Ditto
2007-12-11, 07:37 PM
That, or the aforementioned Emergency Bat-Baywatch Complete Series switch in the Batmobile.

Has Bun-Bun ever been seriously injured?

GoC
2007-12-11, 07:42 PM
That, or the aforementioned Emergency Bat-Baywatch Complete Series switch in the Batmobile.

Has Bun-Bun ever been seriously injured?

Hmm...
Yes.
1. When attacked by a clawed superstrength Santaclaus going an mach 3.
2. When poisoned by AyleeClone.
3. He was stunned by a ton of high explosives going off next to him.
4. He's been roughed up a bit three times. Once by his future self. The other by Aylee (at the beginning of the comic before he'd fully recovered his power) the last by a superhero from another universe (whom he promtly killed with a single hit).

EDIT: Come on you Batman fans! Back up your vote with some reasoning!:smallamused:

Ditto
2007-12-11, 08:36 PM
Yeah, Batman goes home from his fights intact, but definitely bruised. Bun-Bun's got some serious grit. Batman's in for it.

Dervag
2007-12-11, 08:46 PM
Tough and agile aren't going to help against someone who moves faster than Earths laws of physics allow and who can somehow slice through bone in a single stroke. Bun-Bun also has tactile telekenesis.I dunno. 'Merely human' warriors like Calix have forced Bun-Bun to exert a significant effort to beat them. And Batman is... Batman. He's on something like Oasis's level of fighting skill, possibly even higher (bonus points for practical experience). And Oasis vs. Bun-Bun might very well be a fair fight, or at least a truly challenging fight for Bun-Bun to win.

Bun-Bun's strength is in the 2-3 ton range, his endurance is so much higher than Batman's that it's not even funny and his speed... I'd like to know what wizard tells the laws of physics to shut up and sit down when Bun-Bun starts moving.Where is it written that Bun-Bun can lift two-ton objects? I think I must have missed that bit in the Sluggy Archives. Which is a shame, because that would have been awesome to watch.

4. He's been roughed up a bit three times. Once by his future self. The other by Aylee (at the beginning of the comic before he'd fully recovered his power) the last by a superhero from another universe (whom he promtly killed with a single hit).Who was that superhero again?

Oh. And Zoe kicked Bun-Bun through a wall once. And he decided to stay on that side of the wall.

GoC
2007-12-11, 08:56 PM
I dunno. 'Merely human' warriors like Calix have forced Bun-Bun to exert a significant effort to beat them. And Batman is... Batman. He's on something like Oasis's level of fighting skill, possibly even higher (bonus points for practical experience). And Oasis vs. Bun-Bun might very well be a fair fight, or at least a truly challenging fight for Bun-Bun to win.
Someone actualy posted this debate at the sluggy forums. It was considered as fair as Aragon vs. Superman.

Calix didn't "give him trouble", Bun-Bun played with him for a bit then beat him.
And anyway when talking about vs. threads we go with the average power level not the low end.

Where is it written that Bun-Bun can lift two-ton objects? I think I must have missed that bit in the Sluggy Archives. Which is a shame, because that would have been awesome to watch.
It's not written but he's thrown objects weighing over a ton a fair distance.

Who was that superhero again?
The Lobo parody.

Oh. And Zoe kicked Bun-Bun through a wall once. And he decided to stay on that side of the wall.
Rule of Funny applies to humour orientated webcomis. And see above.

Serenity
2007-12-11, 08:56 PM
Zoe could do that for the same reason that Akane can knock Ranma into the stratosphere: because it was funny.

The superhero was a Lobo pastiche who Bun-Bun pretty much creamed every time he went up against him.

hyperfreak497
2007-12-11, 08:57 PM
Thank you for helping me expand my webcomic repetoire. I will now proceed to read the entire Sluggy Freelance archive before commenting.

GoC
2007-12-11, 09:14 PM
Thank you for helping me expand my webcomic repetoire. I will now proceed to read the entire Sluggy Freelance archive before commenting.

Umm...
It's a bit long...
See you next year.:smalltongue:

btw: Bun-Bun will look very weak in the first few months. This will be retconned later as Bun-Bun suffering amnesia that somhow rendered him a LOT weaker.

Mewtarthio
2007-12-11, 09:25 PM
Bear in mind that Bun-bun has lost before. Blacksoul trounced the robot soundly in his first fight without ever needed to reveal what was under the cloak. In the second fight, Blacksoul's "true form" got severely damaged, but managed to drive Bun-bun to a spiteful kamikaze strike. Also, both fights were melee duels.
No, it doesn't make any difference that Blacksoul was just Bun-bun from the future. In the Obsidian Teknokon suit, Bun-bun has none of his natural powers.

Now that I think about, we've never really seen Bun-bun go up against anyone with notorious combat skills and win a straight fight. He usually pulls off some trick to defeat them, but Batman might not fall for something like that. If Bun-bun ambushed Bats, he'd win for sure, but I don't think he'd do so well if Batman had a chance to prepare.

hyperfreak497
2007-12-11, 09:31 PM
Umm...
It's a bit long...
See you next year.:smalltongue:

I read the entire Dominic Deegan archive in a day and a half. Is this longer?

Mewtarthio
2007-12-11, 10:07 PM

Dominic Deegan's first comic was posted May 21, 2002.

Sluggy Freelance started on August 25, 1997.

GoC
2007-12-11, 10:30 PM

Much.

Mewtarthio: Ah. The person who killed me in Gladiotor 3...:smallannoyed:

1. Some trick to defeat them? AFAIK he beats people ALA Blackmage.
2. Batman's combat skills would not work here. The only things they'd help with would be reflexes, dodging and enduring blows.
3.Blacksoul had Bun-Bun's combat skills, his instantaneous reflexes and most importantly several attacking limbs to employ them with. Also Blacksoul's body was pretty tough and probably much tougher than Batman's suit, with material technology centuries better than humanities. Advanced robots are often shown as very weak, vulnerable and slow in comics. They're not. They're just required to be weak because anything that can be mass produced isn't allowed to be a challenge for the hero for Suspension of Disbelief reasons (if the robots win the comic is over).
The robot probably had strength as good as Bun-Buns (2-3 tons) and just as much durability. The only thing that bothered me was it's speed but I guess with new tech they discovered ultra-fast motors/hydraulics.

Foeofthelance
2007-12-11, 11:29 PM
Hmmm. You know whats scary? Bun-Bun wins, not only because he manages to Xanatos Roulette the whole Oceans Unmoving bit, but because according to the Council War series of books he ends up living well into the thirtieth century. (For those who don't know, the Council War books are by a third party author. Bun Bun shows up as a centuries old Chaos inducing cyborg who gets bribed to work for the good guys after deciding the bad guys are whacked in the head.)

Bun Bun has some serious messed up abilities, has trained to beat humans, whereas Batman doesnt have anti-minilop training, and regularly tangles with mythological beings on a seasonal basis. Not to mention surviving Riff and Aylee.

Batman? Ok, his rogues gallery involves a bunch of freaks who get high and strange powers from chemicals. But I dont think he's ever managed to piss someone off so badly they chuck him out of time itself.

Selrahc
2007-12-11, 11:44 PM
(For those who don't know, the Council War books are by a third party author. Bun Bun shows up as a centuries old Chaos inducing cyborg who gets bribed to work for the good guys after deciding the bad guys are whacked in the head.)

Didn't they name that guy after Bun Bun? Rather than it actually being Bun Bun?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-12-11, 11:48 PM
Yeah, if it's by a third-party author, I don't think it can be counted as canon (unless it has been confirmed as such by Pete).

Selrahc
2007-12-11, 11:53 PM
I meant like... in universe. As in the character is described as being named after the Bun Bun from Sluggy Freelance, without any allusions to being the real Bun-Bun.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-12-11, 11:56 PM
Oh. Well, yeah, that works too.

Dervag
2007-12-12, 12:17 AM
Someone actualy posted this debate at the sluggy forums. It was considered as fair as Aragon vs. Superman.

Calix didn't "give him trouble", Bun-Bun played with him for a bit then beat him.I could have sworn Calix at least made Bun-Bun work for it.

It's not written but he's thrown objects weighing over a ton a fair distance.Where? I really am wondering; I missed it.

The Lobo parody.OK, I remember that. I believed you; I just couldn't remember.

On the other hand, the Lobo parody in question didn't seem to be very good at fighting; his only real strength was his extraordinary healing factor. Which just gave Bun-Bun more opportunities to beat on him.

I'm honestly not sure Batman would be an easy conquest for Bun-Bun.

Rule of Funny applies to humour orientated webcomis. And see above.I'm not really citing it as evidence, but when someone asks for all the instances in which Bun-Bun has been roughed up, that one at least relevant enough to deserve mention.

btw: Bun-Bun will look very weak in the first few months. This will be retconned later as Bun-Bun suffering amnesia that somhow rendered him a LOT weaker.Even a weak Bun-Bun is quite capable of beating up a grown man, and of skinning a bear alive. This is why I think Bun-Bun would be a difficult fight at best, even for Batman.

Dominic Deegan's first comic was posted May 21, 2002.

Sluggy Freelance started on August 25, 1997.A determined person with way too much free time on their hands can read the entire Sluggy archive in less than a week. Any normal person with a good sense of time priorities will take much longer.

2. Batman's combat skills would not work here. The only things they'd help with would be reflexes, dodging and enduring blows.Yeah. Those are pretty important.

The robot probably had strength as good as Bun-Buns (2-3 tons) and just as much durability.Where again has Bun-Bun lifted ton-range objects? I'm not saying he hasn't; I just can't for the life of me remember where it happened.

The only thing that bothered me was it's speed but I guess with new tech they discovered ultra-fast motors/hydraulics.There's no reason someone couldn't build something that fast even now. People underestimate the speed with which a piece of machinery can move.

Hmmm. You know whats scary? Bun-Bun wins, not only because he manages to Xanatos Roulette the whole Oceans Unmoving bit, but because according to the Council War series of books he ends up living well into the thirtieth century. (For those who don't know, the Council War books are by a third party author. Bun Bun shows up as a centuries old Chaos inducing cyborg who gets bribed to work for the good guys after deciding the bad guys are whacked in the head.)On the other hand, the Bun-Bun of the Council War setting isn't the actual Bun-Bun (not a real mini-lop). He's a bunch of 23rd-century cyberneticists' best attempt to create Bun-Bun. This turned out to be a serious mistake on their part; their Bun-Bun cyborg ended up betraying them. Something about a huge bomb.

Cyborgs in the Council Wars setting are quasi-immortal as long as nothing beats them in a fight, and they are hard to beat.

For reference, Ringo's Council Wars setting takes the "fantasy novel set in Earth's very distant past like Middle Earth" trope and reverses it. The stories are set so far in the future that teleportation and nanotechnology have made human life idyllic. Then everything goes wrong, and a war breaks out within the Council that controls the AI that, in turn, controls all the high technology. The practical upshot is that everyone else gets stuck using pre-gunpowder technology with a steady stream of intrusions by "sufficiently advanced" technology indistinguishable from magic.

Tengu
2007-12-12, 01:05 AM
I don't read Sluggy Freelance and everything I know about Bun-Bun comes from forums, wikis and such, but the more I hear about them the more I think he's some sort of deus-ex-machina author surrogate who thinks that's hilarious. Batman at least is a well written character (usually).

Porthos
2007-12-12, 01:13 AM
If Bun-Bun wins, does this mean he becomes BatBun by Right of Caste? :smalleek:

Lord Iames Osari
2007-12-12, 01:37 AM
If Bun-Bun wins, does this mean he becomes BatBun by Right of Caste? :smalleek:

Nah, Right of Caste only applies to Holidays, I think.

Dervag
2007-12-12, 01:45 AM
I don't read Sluggy Freelance and everything I know about Bun-Bun comes from forums, wikis and such, but the more I hear about them the more I think he's some sort of deus-ex-machina author surrogate who thinks that's hilarious.It's not quite that bad.

Bun-Bun is essentially the Killer Rabbit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, only armed with a switchblade and capable of speech. Given the generally bizarre and zany nature of the comic's background environment, this does not normally strike the reader as the strangest thing going on in any given environment. You get used to it.

The basic premise is that Bun-Bun is an extraordinarly powerful warrior who, for some reason, occupies a form which looks very non-warlike. However, there are quite a few things in the Sluggy Freelance universe powerful enough to give Bun-Bun a run for his money. Moreover, most of the comic doesn't revolve around Bun-Bun. It isn't really about Bun-Bun. Even the most Bun-Buncentric of story arcs in the series either had plenty of other compelling characters, or ran for only a few weeks.

He's not used as a deus ex machina in the strip, not least because it's virtually impossible to get him to do anything that doesn't directly benefit him. He's a very mercenary rabbit.

factotum
2007-12-12, 03:55 AM
Batman wins with preparation. And it doesn't take much preparation to take down a bunny.

Tell that to King Arthur! Where's a Holy Hand Grenade when you need one? :smallbiggrin:

sun_tzu
2007-12-12, 06:17 AM
It's not quite that bad.

Bun-Bun is essentially the Killer Rabbit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, only armed with a switchblade and capable of speech. Given the generally bizarre and zany nature of the comic's background environment, this does not normally strike the reader as the strangest thing going on in any given environment. You get used to it.

The basic premise is that Bun-Bun is an extraordinarly powerful warrior who, for some reason, occupies a form which looks very non-warlike. However, there are quite a few things in the Sluggy Freelance universe powerful enough to give Bun-Bun a run for his money. Moreover, most of the comic doesn't revolve around Bun-Bun. It isn't really about Bun-Bun. Even the most Bun-Buncentric of story arcs in the series either had plenty of other compelling characters, or ran for only a few weeks.

He's not used as a deus ex machina in the strip, not least because it's virtually impossible to get him to do anything that doesn't directly benefit him. He's a very mercenary rabbit.

Yeah. Most of the times the cast was in trouble, it wasn't Bun-Bun who saved the day.
Vampires? Bun-Bun helped early on, then lost interest when they reached the climax.
Kesandru's Well? The bunny got his butt effortlessly kicked by the giant monster.
Hereti-Corp? Cloney beat the crap out of Bun-Bun.
K'Z'K? The first time around, Bun-Bun only delayed him, then left. The other times, he wasn't even there.
There are things about Bun-Bun that bother me, but he's no deus ex machina.

GoC
2007-12-12, 08:40 AM
Kesandru's Well? The bunny got his butt effortlessly kicked by the giant monster.
I thought he missed that party?. I'll have to check.
But even so it's unsurprising that a monster from H. P. Lovecraft beat Bun-Bun.

Hereti-Corp? Cloney beat the crap out of Bun-Bun.
He wasn't beaten physicaly but poisoned.

K'Z'K? The first time around, Bun-Bun only delayed him, then left. The other times, he wasn't even there.
Bun-Bun didn't even consider K'Z'K a threat. He just had a laugh and then wandered off.

Pete rarely has Bun-Bun interfering in the main arcs because he's simply become too powerful. If it can challenge Bun-Bun then the other characters don't stand a chance.

Where? I really am wondering; I missed it.
I can't remember which arc it was in... maybe the K'Z'K arc?
Even in the early days he could throw Torg around like a rag doll (which requires strength in excess of 600Kg).

On the other hand, the Lobo parody in question didn't seem to be very good at fighting; his only real strength was his extraordinary healing factor.
And superstrength enough to actualy hold Buin-Bun for a few seconds? Compare to all the other times things of amazing strength went up against him.

Even a weak Bun-Bun is quite capable of beating up a grown man, and of skinning a bear alive. This is why I think Bun-Bun would be a difficult fight at best, even for Batman.
A grizzly bear.
So even 10-20 strips after his appearence Bun-Bun was stronger than a grizzly (http://www.lairweb.org.nz/tiger/conflict13.html).:smallamused:

I'm going on a three day trip in a couple of hours so won't be able to participate (or find the comic were Bun-Bun throws a large object) until then.

Selrahc
2007-12-12, 09:10 AM
Even in the early days he could throw Torg around like a rag doll (which requires strength in excess of 600Kg).

Well you don't need a 600KG press to throw around a skinny guy, but Bun Bun is super strong to at least a limited extent(Compared to a human, hes really really really strong for a rabbit). Remember the carnivorous wooly mammoth? Thats got to weigh more than a a horse. Bun Bun swung that thing around like it weighed nothing. Thats the strongest thing I've seen him do.

Dervag
2007-12-12, 01:09 PM
He wasn't beaten physicaly but poisoned.I would point out that Bun-Bun had absolutely no success against Cloney before that point. And that he was in fact physically injured (i.e. cut) by the same wound that delivered the poison. He would have lost that fight eventually no matter what.

Even in the early days he could throw Torg around like a rag doll (which requires strength in excess of 600Kg).I'll grant that Bun-Bun violates conservation of angular momentum, but you talk about him "throwing around" two or three ton objects. That is, objects ten times heavier than Torg.

Besides which, Batman has fought any number of opponents capable of throwing a grown man easily; it's practically part of his job description.

And superstrength enough to actualy hold Buin-Bun for a few seconds? Compare to all the other times things of amazing strength went up against him.Bun-Bun isn't very massive; I'm not sure it's that hard to immobilize him.

A grizzly bear.
So even 10-20 strips after his appearence Bun-Bun was stronger than a grizzly (http://www.lairweb.org.nz/tiger/conflict13.html).:smallamused:Stronger, possibly not. Capable of skinning, yes.

Given that Bun-Bun is vastly more agile than the bear, those two don't go together. And I'm really not sure how much weaker Bun-Bun was back in those days, either.

Well you don't need a 600KG press to throw around a skinny guy, but Bun Bun is super strong to at least a limited extent(Compared to a human, hes really really really strong for a rabbit). Remember the carnivorous wooly mammoth? Thats got to weigh more than a a horse. Bun Bun swung that thing around like it weighed nothing. Thats the strongest thing I've seen him do.OK, there you have a point.

Mewtarthio
2007-12-12, 01:34 PM
1. Some trick to defeat them? AFAIK he beats people ALA Blackmage.

No, he bullies people ala Black Mage. I've never seen him go up against something actually meant to be a combat threat and win in a straight fight, with the exception of Lodoze (who, as Bun-bun pointed out, was just "a petty [bleep]" who pushed people around because he was invincible). He's quite effective at tearing through large swaths of mooks, as well as putting wannabes who are out of their league in place, but I think Batman would stand a good chance against him.

Anteros
2007-12-12, 06:07 PM
Meh, it's strongly implied in Sluggy that Torg could stand up to Bun Bun now, and he is constantly outwitted and manipulated by Sluggy characters. There is no way in heck that BunBun can take out the Bat, even on his best day.

Dervag
2007-12-12, 07:35 PM
Torg can't beat Bun-Bun; what impresses Bun-Bun is that Torg is now proficient enough to actually dodge one of Bun-Bun's attacks. The phrase is

"Not that I was really trying, but yeah, who upgraded nerd-boy?"

On the other hand, when Torg tried to dodge Bun-Bun he smacked his own head into a wall, which is how we know it really was Torg.

Mewtarthio
2007-12-13, 12:49 AM
Let's not forget that, "Holiday Wars" aside, the Sluggiverse is actually probably lower in power than the DC Universe. Badass Normals can still hold their own against supernatural threats--just look at Nash Straw vs Oasis (no, I don't consider a girl who can dodge bullets, pin people to walls with knives, kill human beings with pencils, and tear through straightjackets to be normal, even if you discount the serial immortality) or, heck, Riff vs anything.

GoC
2007-12-14, 03:38 PM
I would point out that Bun-Bun had absolutely no success against Cloney before that point. And that he was in fact physically injured (i.e. cut) by the same wound that delivered the poison. He would have lost that fight eventually no matter what.
I think if he hadn't been poisoned he would have retreated once he started taking severe damage.

I'll grant that Bun-Bun violates conservation of angular momentum, but you talk about him "throwing around" two or three ton objects.
I'm certainly not.
You can throw an unwieldy object about 20ft wieghing from 1/5th to 1/10th (depending on several factors) of what you can benchpress. I'm saying he can throw at least 400Kg 20ft.

Bun-Bun isn't very massive; I'm not sure it's that hard to immobilize him.
Leverage.
Even if his strength was that of an ordinary man it would have been as if someone was prying your hand open with a crowbar.

Stronger, possibly not. Capable of skinning, yes.

Given that Bun-Bun is vastly more agile than the bear, those two don't go together. And I'm really not sure how much weaker Bun-Bun was back in those days, either.
He removed the entire skin intact.
That would require either superstrength or really insane superspeed.

Let's not forget that, "Holiday Wars" aside, the Sluggiverse is actually probably lower in power than the DC Universe. Badass Normals can still hold their own against supernatural threats--just look at Nash Straw vs Oasis (no, I don't consider a girl who can dodge bullets, pin people to walls with knives, kill human beings with pencils, and tear through straightjackets to be normal, even if you discount the serial immortality) or, heck, Riff vs anything.
Nash Straw is as smart as Batman when it comes to preparation (he actualy uses guns).
Riff is an absent minded Reed Richards in terms of scientific ability and is definitely not "normal" either.

Only the top tier of superheroes in DC could have held their own versus alien santa. Most of the Justice League would have lost.

Selrahc
2007-12-15, 01:29 PM
Only the top tier of superheroes in DC could have held their own versus alien santa. Most of the Justice League would have lost.

No, any of the Justice League would have been able to take down alien santa, if they were able to flick over into holiday time.

Bun Bun won that fight because of a situational ability which he no longer possesses. Alien Santa was not a formidable opponent physically compared to most supervillains.

It does not say anything about Bun BUns level of prowess, except that he is badass(For beating a big alien beast), something which we knew already.

Nash Straw is as smart as Batman when it comes to preparation

No he isn't. Nash Straw is a competent professional who did a small amount of research into the capabilities of his foe. He is no match for Batman, in preparation or any other area of combat.

Riff is an absent minded Reed Richards in terms of scientific ability and is definitely not "normal" either.

Again, not really. Reed Richards designs devices of far more power, and with much greater regularity than Riff.

DC is a higher powered setting. That is not an insult to Sluggy, because DC is one of the most highpowered settings in existence.

Mewtarthio
2007-12-15, 01:38 PM

I'll grant you that. But, then again, Bun-bun would've lost that fight, too. We're talking about Batman vs Bun-bun, not Batman vs Lord Bun-bun, Eater of Holidays. Tell any DCU or Marvel character about Alien Santa's weakness and take away Santa's time advantage (heck, just to make it even, you can also give Santa a free hit on them), and they'll win the fight.

GoC
2007-12-16, 05:32 PM
I'll grant you that. But, then again, Bun-bun would've lost that fight, too. We're talking about Batman vs Bun-bun, not Batman vs Lord Bun-bun, Eater of Holidays. Tell any DCU or Marvel character about Alien Santa's weakness and take away Santa's time advantage (heck, just to make it even, you can also give Santa a free hit on them), and they'll win the fight.

True.
No idea why I brought it up.
Anyway, are we agreed on Bun-Bunīs strength?
How would Bats damage Bun-Bun? His punches aren't going to cut it.

Old_el_Paso
2007-12-17, 12:50 AM
I don't know why people always say 'Batman wins with preparation.' Hell, anyone could win against anyone with preparation. Jimmy Olsen has trapped Superman in a cage made of kryptonite before! Oh, so many times Superman has pleaded for his life at Jimmy's feet.

Dervag
2007-12-17, 08:47 AM
I think if he hadn't been poisoned he would have retreated once he started taking severe damage.Retreating is still losing.

Leverage.
Even if his strength was that of an ordinary man it would have been as if someone was prying your hand open with a crowbar.Wouldn't leverage considerations tend to work against Bun-Bun? He's the one with the limb lengths measured in inches, after all.

Setra
2007-12-17, 09:04 AM
Batman could probably easily develop a poison that affects only rabbits (or even only bun-bun).

The thing is, the rule of funny that allowed Zoe to harm Bun-Bun?

Bun-Bun is only strong because that rule exists, if you disclude it than he is pretty much just a normal rabbit, because it's funny.

If the comic didn't want to be funny then Bun-Bun'd just be a normal rabbit.

GoC
2007-12-17, 12:19 PM
Batman could probably easily develop a poison that affects only rabbits (or even only bun-bun).

What about one of the scenarios that doesn't allow preparation?