PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting The Penitent Crusade of the Wolves of Caliban [Wrath & Glory] [Warhammer 40k]

VampiricLongbow
2023-11-22, 10:39 PM
https://i.ibb.co/mX9RYTH/wNg.png

The Penitent Crusade of the Wolves of Caliban
~ A Tale of Repentance for Adeptus Astartes Chapter 597 ~

🙪 - 🙫 - 🙪 - 🙫 - 🙪 - 🙫 - 🙪 - 🙫 - 🙪 - 🙫 - 🙪 - 🙫 - 🙪 - 🙫 - 🙪 - 🙫 - 🙪 - 🙫 - 🙪 - 🙫 - 🙪

You hail from the Wolves of Caliban, a chapter formed during the ill-fated 21st "Cursed" Founding. Remarkably, your lineage is free of mutations, setting you apart from the unfortunate fate that befell many during that time (at least according to official Imperial records). Led by Chapter Master Persefall the Wild, your exploits were legendary— with large victories over greenskins and Aeldari alike.

In a critical moment during the 41st millennium, your chapter faced a dual-front crisis. The 10th Company, to which you belong, was sent to liberate the Genestealer-Cult-infested world of Marrona. Meanwhile, tragedy struck elsewhere as the majority of the Wolves of Caliban fleet succumbed to a dreadful warp storm. The surviving ship Lionwolf, carrying the 1st and 2nd Companies, defended a Blackstone Fortress against Chaos incursion. However, accusations of betrayal tainted your chapter's name, leading to their excommunication and erasure from Imperial records.

Unbeknownst to your company, led by Master Balian of the Lake, after successfully liberating the world of Marrona, a peculiar warp anomaly unexpectedly transported your ship above the tumultuous battleground of Pyros. In the midst of a fierce conflict between the Imperium and heretical forces, Master Balian swiftly responded by deploying every marine under his command to reinforce a vulnerable battle line. Your company displayed exemplary courage and valor as they bolstered the defenses and turned the tide in the Imperium's favor.

Only after the Cleansing of Pyros did the truth unfold—a millennium had passed between when you left Marrona and when you arrived on Pyros. Worse, your chapter's leaders had allegedly consorted with heretics, triggering catastrophic events across the galaxy.

Confronted with the scrutiny of the Inquisition and the judgment of Lord Commander Guilliman, your chapter, now rebranded as Adeptus Astartes Chapter 597, faced a stern yet just punishment. Cast out from the Imperium, you now embark on a 100-year Penitent Crusade. Under the vigilant eye of your chapter's most skeptical critic, Inquisitor Mekonen Tariku, your mission is to bring worlds into compliance and eradicate enemies of Mankind. Recruiting is strictly prohibited, and every move is scrutinized by the watchful Inquisitor. The fate of your chapter hinges on the survival of its marines. If, at the end of the century-long crusade, even one Battle Brother endures, the Wolves of Caliban will be born anew as a Primaris Chapter, with their past sins erased from history. However, if no Battle Brothers survive, the chapter will forever be branded as traitors, condemned to eternal damnation.

Now, you and your brothers embark on this arduous journey, seeking redemption for your chapter and personal atonement, driven by the grim hope of a future rebirth.

🙪 - 🙫 - 🙪 - 🙫 - 🙪 - 🙫 - 🙪 - 🙫 - 🙪 - 🙫 - 🙪 - 🙫 - 🙪 - 🙫 - 🙪 - 🙫 - 🙪 - 🙫 - 🙪 - 🙫 - 🙪

https://i.ibb.co/dQ0QQ2C/spacemarine.jpg

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)? Wrath & Glory

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)? The Warhammer 40k Universe

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many? 3 to 6

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)? The Giant in the Playground forums

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)? Tier 2 Space Marine Scout Archetype

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with? -

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes? You are Space Marine Scouts

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species? Adeptus Astartes

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points? Normal

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so? None, just make sure your character is a team player

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it? n/a

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them? You will roll what you need to, I will roll what I need to.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules. None

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)? You are a Space Marine scout but even Scouts have tales to tell. Tell me of how you have achieved glory for your chapter.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above? A mix but mostly battle and RP. The intent, at least for the begginning of the campaign will be a "Mission of the Week" type format. Once we get stuck into the campaign, that may change as you and what remains of the Wolves of Caliban make difficult choices.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

Notes:

- To the Imperium at large, the Wolves of Caliban are a Dark Angels successor chapter. For whatever reason, the Unforgiven have kept the Wolves of Caliban at arm's length. This is not considered that unusual, as the Dark Angels and their various successor chapters do not always get along. No one really thinks much of this fact. Although you are still scouts, you would still know of your chapter's dark secret... A secret that caused the Unforgiven to turn their backs on your chapter. [A secret that will be determined by the players selected to join the campaign. ]

- The Wolves of Caliban were created during the 21st Cursed Founding. Chapters founded during this time exabit a propensity for terrible luck and/or very strange mutations. Although bad luck has not, traditionally, been part of your chapter's history, members of your chapter exibit a beastial ferocity in melee combat. You are still scouts but you have heard tell of some of your brethren growing long fangs, sprouting wild manes of hair and possessing "predatory eyes" that unnerve your enemies and allies alike. Such rumors are always squashed by the Chaplains. It is probably just a rumor... Regardless, your chapter has never failed a gene-seed purity test...

- Taken together, this will alter your Chapter Traits. The Wolves of Caliban have the Grim Resolve ability from the Dark Angels. Your chapter is not a member of the Unforgiven. Your 21st Cursed Founding mutation is represented by the Savage Within (Gene-seed) trait from the Space Wolves.

TheNotoriousSMP
2023-12-06, 05:34 PM
Interesting! I've wanted to do something in W&G for a while now but have never had the chance. Might have to refamiliarize myself with the rules but I've got an idea or two for a character

Justanotherhero
2023-12-07, 04:48 AM
Warhammer 40k.
Count me interested.

Potential Background Story

Potential Background Story

Solinus "Timmy" Caelus was born on the verdant world of Virens, a planet once on the brink of destruction but saved by the heroic efforts of the Wolves of Caliban. His family, prominent agrarians, instilled in him a deep sense of gratitude and respect for the Astartes who had protected their world. Timmy's youth was marked by a quiet demeanor, overshadowed by an innate curiosity and a sharp intellect.

From an early age, Timmy displayed an exceptional aptitude for understanding complex machinery and an uncanny ability to solve intricate problems. He spent countless hours dismantling and reassembling farm equipment, often improving its efficiency. His marksmanship skills were honed during hunting expeditions with his father, where he learned to shoot with remarkable precision.

When the Wolves of Caliban returned to Virens for recruitment, Timmy's exceptional talents caught their attention. Despite his timid nature, his potential was undeniable. He was not the strongest or most aggressive recruit, but his intellect and marksmanship stood out.

In the Wolves of Caliban, Timmy found his calling. His talents flourished under the rigorous training, and his strategic thinking and problem-solving skills became invaluable assets. He earned his nickname, "Timmy the Timid," not for a lack of courage, but for his thoughtful and measured approach to challenges.

As the Wolves of Caliban faced their exile and embarked on the Penitent Crusade, Timmy's role became increasingly crucial. His analytical mind and keen eye for detail made him a prime candidate for advanced training as an Apothecary or Tech Marine. His ability to swiftly diagnose and repair both injuries and machinery alike proved vital in the harsh conditions of their crusade.

Timmy carried the memories of his family and his homeworld, Virens, as a beacon of hope and motivation. He was driven not only by the desire to redeem his chapter but also by a personal quest for atonement and the dream of one day returning to his roots, perhaps as a beacon of light and knowledge for his people.

As the century-long journey unfolded, Timmy's journey from a quiet farm boy to a key figure in the survival and redemption of the Wolves of Caliban became a testament to the power of intellect, skill, and determination in the face of overwhelming odds.

Achievement:

Caelus, using his agrarian insight, noticed a popular restaurant on Marrona serving subpar meat, an anomaly for its popularity. His investigation revealed it as a Genestealer Cult hideout. This discovery allowed the Wolves of Caliban to strike this key Genestealer nexus, showcasing Timmy's critical role in their mission.

Edit: Stats so far.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-offVSrHoxPTRRXfsW5zUjecE4onhnQB-jlMgHXVJZs/edit

Sublight
2023-12-16, 03:08 PM
I'd love to be part of this.

My only problem is i have the books for W&G and they make me cry!

Why cant it be simple like a d100 system!

Still i've always wanted to be part of a single chapter game! My only reticence is that maybe we should negotiate a little bit over their history. I love 40k legions and could easily play DA successor. Its just they wouldnt be my first pick. Just a little nit pick from me.

I've always found that as a GM it might be easier to leave the chapter as unknown. This allows people freedom to stretch in any direction and also leaves a plot hook for later. If someone wants to assume the chapter progenitor is space wolves then they can make a space wolfy character. Likewise if someone wants to build fortresses like an imperial fist, again, this is allowed too. (not to say space wolves wouldnt build a really cool fortress)

JNAProductions
2023-12-16, 04:55 PM
I made a PC (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1g4agt14CqnmGjyZ1ZtHakFTeabOD-nsoFcGSygiRStU/edit?usp=sharing)! I leave for work in five minutes, so no background yet, but mechanics should be good.

Dusk Raven
2023-12-18, 09:15 PM
I've always wanted to try out W&G, though that still requires me to get the books. If our GM is still interested in running this, then I'll commit to the purchase.

Justanotherhero
2023-12-21, 10:15 AM
@VampiricLongBow.
Just out of pure hope because I am reading the Horus Heresy right now: How many players where you looking for and is there still hope for the game?