PDA

View Full Version : Class that fits personality

Goblinorc
2023-11-25, 11:09 PM
Hey

My DnD group is starting a new campaign. We are basing the class off of our personalities.

Based off this limited info what class comes closest to matching this?

(I'm aware its a weird question and that you can be anything in 5e)

Logical

I'm okay with following authority figures (bosses, leaders, etc) provided they are legit in their earning of said authority. I don’t follow blindly simply because they’re labeled an “authority figure” I'll follow because I believe they deserve and earned their titles of authority through actual work and logic.

I prefer Structured environments

I'm very Opinionated.

I have a good memory

I've been desceibed as an Jock/nerd

I enjoy debating. Big part of my personality

I'm highly competitive.

I workout 5 days a week. Weight lifting is my favorite. Was into sports a lot when I was younger.

I'm not the easiest to get a long with. I don't open up to just anyone.

There are a lot of cliques at my job and I'm not really apart of any of them. One of my co workers said "it's because I'm more mature than a lot of them.

I'm very blunt

I'm very impatient and catch myself telling people to get to the point

I'm fairly ambitious

Athiest

Loyal to those I care about

Strategic and analytical

I'm more likely to offer solutions to problems

Assertive

Physical

Rebellious when needed

If I say I'm going to do something I do it. I'm very loyal to those close to me

NontheistCleric
2023-11-25, 11:42 PM
Most of this, like you say, can really be applied to any class, so let's just focus on what we can actually translate into mechanical distinctions...

Good memory, debater, and works out/used to do sports–so we want something with high Intelligence, probably a good Persuasion modifier, and decent physical scores.

Eldritch Knight or Psi Warrior with Skill Expert (Persuasion Expertise)? Seems to fit, to me. Pick up Keen Mind later on if you want more memory ability, or swap it with Skill Expert depending on the mix of capabilities you want.

JonBeowulf
2023-11-26, 12:10 AM
It's easy for me to match myself with a class, but yeah, it's tough do to that for someone else.

I think an arrogant Sword Bard would fit pretty well.

Mastikator
2023-11-26, 05:11 AM
Fighter (Eldritch knight) or Artificer (battlesmith)

Unoriginal
2023-11-26, 08:48 AM
Hey

My DnD group is starting a new campaign. We are basing the class off of our personalities.

Logical

I'm okay with following authority figures (bosses, leaders, etc) provided they are legit in their earning of said authority. I don’t follow blindly simply because they’re labeled an “authority figure” I'll follow because I believe they deserve and earned their titles of authority through actual work and logic.

I'm very Opinionated.

I have a good memory

I've been desceibed as an Jock/nerd

I'm highly competitive.

I workout 5 days a week. Weight lifting is my favorite. Was into sports a lot when I was younger.

There are a lot of cliques at my job and I'm not really apart of any of them. One of my co workers said "it's because I'm more mature than a lot of them.

I'm very blunt

I'm fairly ambitious

Athiest

Strategic and analytical

Assertive

Physical

Rebellious when needed

I think you'd enjoy the Oath of Glory Paladin.

Catullus64
2023-11-26, 09:56 AM
Classes are strong archetypes with (ideally) consistent themes. People are usually more complex and inconsistent. My advice would be to pick just a few elements of yourself and focus on those. I could make a case for most classes in this way based on your self-description.

Your physicality and directness to the point of bluntness and impatience suggest a Barbarian. (De-emphasize your love of structure and your analytical mind.)
Your commitment to just order, honesty, and loyalty could make a good Paladin. (De-emphasize your more anti-social tendencies.)
Your love of exercise/sport and your strategic/analytical mind points towards a Fighter. (Nothing really needs de-emphasis here.)
Your ambition, not-fitting-in, and solution-oriented mindset could manifest well in a Rogue. (De-emphasize your directness and sense of loyalty.)
Your desire for structure combined with your physicality make for a good Monk. (De-emphasize your strong individuality and distrust of authority.)
Your analytical nature combined with your love of argument supports your being a Wizard (De-emphasize your physicality.)

Cases could be made for a Bard (good memory), Ranger (good mix of physicality and knowledge), Warlock (ambition) or Artificer (analytical/solution oriented), though they don't seem to resonate very well with you on the whole. Only Cleric, Druid, and Sorcerer don't seem like goood fits, the former two because they involve service to a higher power not necessarily based on reason (the first thing you mentioned about yourself!) and the latter because it centers instinct, passion, and a certain amount of chaos.

Honestly, this is how I make most of my characters anyway: pick a few elements of my self-perception to emphasize, pick a class and other options that gel with them, make conscious decisions when roleplaying to act on those specific traits.

Spore
2023-11-26, 10:41 AM
Fighter (Eldritch knight) or Artificer (battlesmith)

Seconded. More options are Cleric or Artificer 1/Wizard or straight refluffed bladesinger (less bladesong, more vibing with the battle).

Damon_Tor
2023-11-26, 11:28 AM

I second this.

NecessaryWeevil
2023-11-26, 05:28 PM
Oath of the Crown Paladin? They emphasize order and loyalty, but necessarily *blind* loyalty.

Catullus64
2023-11-26, 05:38 PM
Oath of the Crown Paladin? They emphasize order and loyalty, but necessarily *blind* loyalty.

That's pretty fitting with how the OP self-described, then. "I don't follow blindly simply because they're labeled an 'authority figure', I'll follow because I believe they deserved and earned their titles of authority through actual work and logic."

KorvinStarmast
2023-11-30, 09:48 AM

Logical

I'm very Opinionated.

I have a good memory

I've been described as an Jock/nerd

I'm highly competitive.

There are a lot of cliques at my job and I'm not really a part of any of them. One of my co workers said "it's because I'm more mature than a lot of them."

I'm very blunt

I'm fairly ambitious

Athiest

Strategic and analytical

Assertive

Physical

Rebellious when needed

A variety of Paladins:
Oath of Glory; Ancients, Watchers, Vengeance, or Crown all seem to fit. Redemption does not, and Devotion probably not.

Champion Fighter, or Battle Master, with the Inspiring Leader feat at some point would fit. And maybe Samurai.

Vorpalchicken
2023-11-30, 11:19 AM
Cocainelock.

Theodoxus
2023-11-30, 02:41 PM

I was going to say 'Dwarven Oath of Glory Paladin', and play up into all the classical dwarven stereotypes. Especially the standoffish part. Yeah, you might have charisma for days, but you only use it when you want to. It doesn't just ooze off you like a smarmy car salesman.