PDA

View Full Version : Divine Implements, tools of the gods

Greywander
2023-11-26, 12:44 AM
I have the idea for a story kicking around in my head, and I have a pretty decent outline for the first major story arc planned out, but things get a bit fuzzy after that.

The first arc centers around the attempted revival of a dead goddess, who is the steward of one of the divine implements. These are tools of great power that, among other things, are capable of slaying gods. In this case, the divine implement is the Fires of Creation, which takes the form of a black flame. You might think a god-slaying black flame sounds familiar, but I think I actually had the idea before playing Elden Ring and it was actually inspired by Dark Souls 3. I just really like the black flame aesthetic.

Anyway, the second arc of the story will deal more with a competition/war between all the gods as they put their own divine implements on the line, so I need a bit of help figuring out what those are so I can plan the story out appropriately. I do like the combo of something tangible with something metaphysical. The Fires of Creation are both literal fire, albeit divine in nature and therefore more potent than normal flames, but also a force of creation. It makes me think of a raw chaotic force that is both creative and destruction, taking the old and turning it into something new. A tool for crafting. Which is oddly fitting for fire, as it's both incredibly destructive and also the cornerstone of technology in the form of metalworking.

In total, I think seven divine implements is a nice symbolic number. (There would be more gods than this, and part of the competition would be gods without an implement trying to take one for themselves.) This means that all of the important metaphysical functions should be covered across each of the seven implements. Here's a few possibilities that I was thinking.

Winds of Change - Maybe governs seasonal changes? I'm not really sure how this one would work.
Sands of Time - Perhaps not just the manipulation of time, but time itself? Causality? The inexorable and irresistible pull towards the future, and ultimately, death?
Water of Life - Not much to say about this one. Everything needs water to live.
Tree of Knowledge - I mean, books are written on paper, and root networks could be seen as similar to things like the internet.
Rock of Ages - Responsible for keeping things the same. In this sense, it could be seen as opposing the Winds of Change or the Fires of Creation, or even the Sands of Time.
Shadow of Death - Seems kind of redundant with the Sands of Time, but perhaps it could be differentiated enough to stand alone.

One of the first other implements I conceived of was the Spear of Sunlight, another concept shamelessly stolen from Dark Souls, though now that I've expanded the concept this one no longer really fits the other themes I have going. But the idea behind it was that it could shoot lasers or bolts that would piece through targets and the holes left behind would be rimmed with plant growths, mostly grasses and flowers. It could probably be used less offensively to simply grow plants. Part of that function might be absorbed by the Tree of Knowledge or maybe the Waters of Life, but I do think it makes sense to have some kind of solar/celestial divine implement, and none of them so far fit.

Another thing I'm struggling with is understanding how each of these could be used offensively, as they are supposed to all be god-slaying implements. That might not be their primary purpose, but they're all supposed to be capable of it. Also, since the Fires of Creation take the form of a black flame, then so too should each of the other implements have a unique form to differentiate them from their mundane counterparts.

Anyway, what are some other possible divine implements I could use? I could even expand the number beyond seven if there's enough good ideas. I kind of like the idea of taking these cliche idioms, like the "sands of time" or "winds of change", and turning them into more literal power sets.

noob
2023-11-26, 04:51 AM
Suggestions on how the varied divine implements could be god slaying tools.
Sands of times: if you plunge a god within those you can either age it so much that eventually it splits off in small fragments or reverse its ageing until it stops existing.
Rock of ages: can be used to make a god stop ever changing, it can no longer move or act at all, it is similar enough to death for people to consider it a god slaying implement.
Water of life: it grants life but with life comes the possibility of dying, the use of the water of life on a deity makes it able to die in more conventional ways
Tree of knowledge: It can find for you a way to kill a deity such as giving you the location of another more directly lethal implement for you.
Winds of change: you change the god into something else (possibly another god because you do not pick what you turn the target into) that is no longer a threat to you, the original god is no longer here.
The winds of change might be able to cycle anything you want through four predetermined states, for example if you use it on the god of winter, it will cycle through spring, summer,autumn then winter again, if you use it on matter, it will go through the four states of matter(solid, liquid, gaseous, plasma) and so on.

Catullus64
2023-11-26, 09:20 AM
I think Death works well as a weapon, quite possibly the first weapon ever made. If Life is Water, a sword or arrow makes the water flow out of a creature in a very literal sense. Although, if you wanted to change the elemental associations of certain implements, you could also have the Breath of Life and the Seas of Change, which I think have similar poetic resonance.

Seven has some good qualities as a number, being prime and all, but I think a good case can be made for six, eight, or nine.

Six and Eight allow you to organize them into opposing dyads such as:

Life and Death (The dichotomy is fairly plain)

Creation and Time (Things come to be and acquire shape, order, which Time sands down inevitably towards entropy)

Knowledge and Change (Knowledge requires constancy, change makes old knowledge obsolete)

And to add something for eight:

Fate & Chance (From different perspectives, the world is at once chaotic and orderly)

Nine allows you to organize them into triads, which can be progressions, cycles, or harmonic systems. Instead of negating one another, certain tools can undo one another in rock-paper-scissors configurations:

Creation, Life, Death (Again, a fairly self-explanatory progression/cycle.)

Ages, Change, Time (Change ends an Age, but Time puts a limit on Change so that nothing truly new ever occurs.)

Fate, Knowledge, Chance (Fate makes things certain, hence Knowable, but Knowledge is ever put into doubt by Chance)

Bohandas
2023-11-26, 10:58 AM
The concept reminds me of the arkentools from Erfworld

Yakk
2023-11-26, 08:45 PM
Winds of Change: Stored in bags. Changes alignments, morality, compass directions. Like, literally rearranges the world.

Sands of Time: Undoes, Tries Again, Erodes. Objects wear out at 1000x faster speed, organics age 100x faster. Each action by a living being can be retried again and again and again.

Water of Life: Clones, Duplicates, Cancer, Mutates. Sprout extra arms, blood that grows into miniature versions of the creature hurt, etc.

Tree of Knowledge: Anything that happens in its presence is forgotten by those there, as the tree absorbs the knowledge. Things written down on its fruit-books are forgotten - nobody can know it, no book can record it - except when reading it, or in the presence of the tree of knowledge.

If you wrote down "the Tarrasque is a giant terrifying monster that wakes up every 100 years and destroys half of the world", nobody would be able to remember that. If they are not directly looking at the Tarrasque, they cannot remember it exists.

Rock of Ages: Prevents any and all change. Those near it cannot be damaged or killed. You can't even eat. Magic fails. Movement becomes slower and slower the longer you are near it.

Shadow of Death: Death is absent. Damage isn't. Under the shadow of death you cannot die, but you cannot heal. Flesh decays, death is delayed.

sandmote
2023-11-26, 10:41 PM
Turn the spear on sunlight into a water weapon, I think, generating beams which overload the target's life force and leaving behind raw materials for new growth. Like being on the plane of positive energy in d&d. And since gods presumably have a lot of such life force, the weapon's abilities can be focused on other effects (control, probably) while still justifying how it could kill a god.

Winds and Sands seem like they have too much overlap, not just death. Maybe rework the winds into a celestial object, including a calendar? The Chart of fate, maybe, allowing the tracking of what's supposed to happen and moving things outside their preordained situation; switch the season something experiences, pause an attack until you move a different target into the way, and make the substance of a god's domain act in contradiction to the god's intentions. Could be a good item for the most powerful deity now that I'm considering it's utility, letting the controller be a god who has gotten complacent about fighting the others because their power is so great.

Maybe make the Tree of Knowledge into the Fruit of Knowledge, where the magical fruit remains connected to a physical object, but the object can be torn off to and the new growth shaped into something else? Sure, books and 3d printed diagrams, but also weapon designs and useful objects, allowing the wielder to use their own knowledge to adapt quickly to changing circumstances. I'm imagining a fight where the steward throws away their wooden longsword and spends a few moments evading before they start hitting back with a polearm, bow, or otherwise more appropriate weapon for dealing with the observed opponent.

I don't think you need a function specifically for resistance to change. Only items I can come up for it would be defensive ones only capable of killing if you destroy yourself on them intentionally. Maybe an option if the related deity has abandoned the world and the item justifies why everyone gives up on seeing them?