PDA

View Full Version : Testing the waters/Interest check: Sid Meier's Civilization, but a tabletop

Buufreak
2023-11-27, 02:17 PM
I've been gradually working with a source book (3.x Fields of Blood) and fine tuning it to be more comprehensive and expanded. No small part of this process has been retrofitting various parts of the last two numerical Civ games into an already working tabletop system. I believe I've almost reached the point of everything being ready to play, but I would be in need of some players.

So, anyone interested? The game will include founding a nation, expanding borders, diplomatic discussions with PC and NPC nations, advancing in technology, adopting governments, and of course, bloody and grueling wars.

Lentrax
2023-11-27, 03:02 PM
I am tentatively interested.

samduke
2023-11-27, 03:05 PM
Interested fir sure i have the F.O.B source book but have not played

Gyrfalcon
2023-11-27, 03:22 PM
I’m interested- would we need to run down the sourcebook?

JbeJ275
2023-11-27, 04:59 PM
This seems very interesting to me

Buufreak
2023-11-27, 05:30 PM
I’m interested- would we need to run down the sourcebook?

Having the actual source book is recommended, yes. It isn't super expensive in digital.

Edit for clarity: the book in question is Fields of Blood: the Book of War by Eden Odyssey Studios.

5ColouredWalker
2023-11-28, 03:40 AM
Posting my interest!

So is this intended more as FOB with more involved city building? Or CIV run as a tabbletop using FOB rules?
Because both lean in very different directions.

Edit: Looking in your homebrew signature, it seems more life FOB with research attached, which is interesting.

Shadowz1797
2023-11-28, 11:40 AM
Also interested pending more information

Buufreak
2023-11-28, 01:46 PM
I'll be honest, I didn't expect that much interest. I guess that will put a bit of a rush on me finishing things out. Currently, I have roughly 1/3 of the tech tree and barely started on culture/civics. So I'm happy to see people interested, give me some more time and I can finish things out and get a recruitment thread up, proper.

Edit: Looking in your homebrew signature, it seems more life FOB with research attached, which is interesting.

You've got the right of it. Currently any and all of the "mods" I have for FoB are in my homebrew catalog in my sig. Feel free to browse each of them, and do note that I don't yet have all the racial abilities worked out, so if you have some suggestions, I am all ears. Especially if you would like to play a Regent of that race!

samduke
2023-11-28, 03:30 PM
do note that I don't yet have all the racial abilities worked out, so if you have some suggestions, I am all ears. Especially if you would like to play a Regent of that race!

noted though not sure what to suggest for some of them, but getting a terrain bonus for these

wood/forest/jungle for elves seems appropriate.

stone/mountain/hill for dwarves seems appropriate

plains/savanna/.. whatever for humans seems appropriate

and is my 2 coppers worth.

look forward to what you put up.

AlexanderML
2023-12-02, 03:49 PM
I'll put down some interest in some cold themed civ. A few ideas come to mind on the kinds of races that could work (changelings, neanderthals', snow elves, or more weird stuff depending on how LA races might be used).

CozJa
2023-12-03, 03:20 AM
Ah, I have fond memories of FoB games!
I doubt I still have the time to play a game like this, but I'll post my interest anyway!

neriractor
2023-12-05, 10:08 PM
Always interested in some FoB :smallbiggrin:

GeoffWatson
2023-12-05, 10:24 PM
I'm interested.
I tried running a FoB compaign, but found serious problems and balance issues.

Buufreak
2023-12-05, 11:23 PM
I'm interested.
I tried running a FoB compaign, but found serious problems and balance issues.

Entirely the purpose of me writing currently 12+ pages of rulings and errata, as well as additional supplemental snippets. As stated previously, suggestions for racial bonuses are appreciated. If unsure what I mean, check my homebrew catalog, there is a link to that as well as other racial stay breakdowns.

And to everyone as a whole, I'm still plugging away. It has been a hell of a month, and with family holidays coming I don't see it getting any easier. But I am still working through the muck and trying to get this organized.

GeoffWatson
2023-12-05, 11:46 PM
As an example, the Race/Terrain numbers all adding up the same number is a red herring.
The best number is by far more important - an Elf country would only build in Forests, and leave other nearby territory undeveloped, while a race with middling numbers everywhere just sucks everywhere.

Buufreak
2023-12-07, 10:26 PM
Was actually more leaning towards filling out these (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OEYhKHPjgPJM4_uREcDbVsbdAJaj0TOrnoGNzh7-NOg/edit?usp=sharing).

Also, just in general, I think it is more fun to play something less optimized. My first game I played Cultured Warlord Orcs. They were definitely a weaker choice, resources wise, compared to the dwarf and elf players, but I wanted to play for fun. Hopefully, that is true for any applicants that apply when I have everything finished up.

Sublight
2023-12-16, 03:03 PM
I'm also interested.

Though i see you have many players already.

Buufreak
2023-12-17, 12:53 PM
10 day update:

Still haven't figured out what I want to do with Drow (the filthy murder hobos that they are), and need a secondary boon for Gnomes. Need to build up and define the Civics tree. Otherwise, we are looking good to potentially have a full recruitment by the 1st of the year.

Hope all are well!

Paddywagon Man
2023-12-18, 04:16 PM
I'm definitely interested!

Myconids, lizardfolk, bullywugs, centaurs and merfolk could all be interesting races to incorporate at some point.