PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Expedition to the Barrier Peaks [OAR; 5e]

ybn1197
2023-11-28, 11:56 AM
A rash of mysterious raids have struck the lands beneath the soaring Barrier Peaks, sowing fear in the hearts of peasant and potentate alike. While the foreboding mountains have long been renowned as home to fearsome beasts and tribes of savage humanoids, for many generations the Barrier Peaks have remained quiet. Now, without warning, new threats have emerged.

Within the last few months, a walled town not far from the mountain range's foothills along with four small fortresses have been destroyed in mysterious attacks. The remaining barons and lords in the region have preserved in brine several partially decomposed corpses found at the scene of the ravaging. Despite the best efforts of the finest sages and wizards in the realm, the identities of these attackers remain a mystery. Many of the bodies were too far gone or damaged in battle to provide even scant clues as to who or what spawned them.

Faced with unknown forces capable of destroying even fortified towns, the local rulers have sent the word out that mighty heroes are needed to root out and destroy this menace. Heralds have been dispatched to neighboring kingdoms and hired messengers spread the news in every tavern and gambling house within 100 miles of the Barrier Peaks. Many heard the call but only a few answered. You are those doughty souls, the most powerful and experienced heroes in the region.

Gathered before an august assembly of dukes, counts, clergy, and wizards, you were briefed with what few facts were known: There were several unconfirmed reports that monsters have been disgorged from a gated cave in the mountains at random intervals. The entrance to this place is high upon a rocky face, and sheathed in armor. This protection has purportedly frustrated all attempts to explore the space beyond the metal door--although several scouting parties sent to reconnoiter the area have entirely disappeared, so it is possible they entered and never returned.

Your expedition must locate this cave, discover why the monsters are coming forth, who is responsible, and how to prevent further incursions. In addition, any other information regarding this mysterious locale, its strange denizens, magical might, or powerful weaponry is highly desirable. Any wealth discovered within the cave that does not directly pertain to the above goals is lawful plunder and can be claimed without taxation by the expedition. In addition, a reward of 10,000 gold pieces is offered should the expedition succeed in all their assigned endeavors.

Your party set forth a week ago and for the past two days have been climbing higher into the crags of the Barn.er Peaks. Last night was spent in the keep of the only baron remaining in the area - and he was fulsome glad for your company and the purpose of your mission. To this end, the lord has dispatched a score of his men-at-arms to guide you to the site of the mysterious cave.

It is now afternoon and you have set up camp in a hidden dell but a mile from the strange entrance. The men-at-arms have orders from their lord to guard your supplies and mounts at the camp while you go forward immediately. They will await your return for four full days before returning to the keep. Gathering your personal gear, you are now climbing the steep slope to the dells north side, passing the rim and forcing your way through the dense growth of trees and undergrowth. There, across a field and beyond a rocky rise, awaits adventure . . .

The 5e bug has a hold on me, specially since by tabletop group has been playing Age of Rebellion for quite some time and it doesn't look like we are going to wrap that up for a while. So I am looking for a group of people to run through Expedition to the Barrier Peaks 5e conversion by Goodman Games. The world is a generic D&D world so knowledge of Greyhawk is not needed. The Big 16+1 i posted below. If there are any other questions, please feel free to ask.

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)? D&D 5e

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)? At this time, the location of the campaign is irrelevant.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many? Between 4 and 6. I will take a waiting list if there are more interested.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)? OOTS

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)? To be determined. The level range is 8 to 12. If we only have 4 players, we will run at 12th level. If we have 5 players, we will run at 10th level; 6 players will be 8th level.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with? Starting gold will be set at the recommended amount for the level we are playing at.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes? No homebrewed classes or archetypes. Anything not found in the main WotC books needs to be presented to me and I have to have the ability to reference it.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species? See question #7.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points? Attributes will be picked from the predetermined stats: 15,14,13,12,10,8. Hit Points will be rolled randomly in the dice thread.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so? Yes I use alignment. No evil.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it? Per the Players Handbook.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them? Players will roll their own dice here on the OOTS board.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules. See question #7.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)? No. This is an authored adventure one-shot.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above? A combination of the above. Hack & slash alone will not get you through this one.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters? See question #7.

17. What is the DM's posting rate? I am only able to post once or twice a week. If I can post more often, I will. And I typically do not post on the weekends. If you think this is too slow, then this is not the game for you. I work in a hospital and there are days when posting is not an issue and there are days when I can't even take a moment for the news. My off-time I reserve for my family so I do not post often from home.

Paladin12
2023-11-28, 01:21 PM
I am interested! Maybe a cleric, as i love the idea of the class.

Paladin12
2023-11-28, 01:41 PM
Lv 8/10 starting gold: [roll0]x25+500
Level 12 starting gold: [roll1]x250+5000
Question, high, low, or normal magic campaign?

ybn1197
2023-11-28, 01:43 PM
This will be a Normal magic campaign.

Infernally Clay
2023-11-28, 01:52 PM
I'll go with a Goliath Rune Knight Fighter, so the level we play at will determine whether I have three or four runes to use in combat.

Spore
2023-11-28, 03:01 PM
I am thinking about rolling a Hexblade Warlock (trueclassed), loosely based on the Dark Knight of Final Fantasy fame. Basically a mercenary for hire who uses dark powers for their own and the kingdom's gain. I assume no large backstory is needed? Does this allow Tasha's reallocation rules for races' attribute boni?

This will be a Normal magic campaign.

What exact rules are you referencing? Also does this mean no magical items to start with?

Awful
2023-11-28, 03:05 PM
I'd like to run a sorcerer, perhaps.

(Un)Inspired
2023-11-28, 06:20 PM
How cool! I had no idea that Expedition to the Barrier Peaks had a 5e conversion. I’m interested in playing a Barbarian/Celestial warlock (maybe a half-elf, or assimar?).

Dr.Samurai
2023-11-28, 06:27 PM
I am SO interested in this. I am currently running through Against the Giants and love the feel of the old modules. Will figure something out on character and return!

Lord Ruby34
2023-11-28, 11:32 PM
I'm interested, potentially as a stars druid. My last campaign with that character died during the pandemic.

Rilem
2023-11-29, 12:11 AM
Wip for Orwin, armorer artificer
https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2858047

zylodrizzt
2023-11-29, 01:22 AM
I'm liking the look of the newest monk in dnd one playtest 8. I don't imagine I could play that could i?

samduke
2023-11-29, 07:41 AM
6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with? Starting gold will be set at the recommended amount for the level we are playing at.

Lv 8/10 starting gold: (1d20)[13]x25+500
Level 12 starting gold: (1d20)[16]x250+5000

What exact rules are you referencing? Also does this mean no magical items to start with?

The table from the DMG which provides estimates for starting equipment and wealth based on the tier of play characters are starting at and the setting of your campaign

(DMG p38)
Character Level Low Magic Campaign <Standard Magic Campaign> High Magic Campaign
1st – 4th Normal Starting Equipment & Gold Normal Starting Gold & Equipment Normal Starting Equipment & Gold

5th – 10th 500 gp plus 1d10 x 25 gp, normal starting equipment <500 gp plus 1d10 x 25 gp, normal starting equipment> 500 gp plus 1d10 x 25 gp, one uncommon magic item, normal starting equipment

11th-16th 5,000 gp plus 1d10 x 250 gp, one uncommon magic item, normal starting equipment <5,000 gp plus 1d10 x 250 gp, two uncommon magic items, normal starting equipment> 5,000 gp plus1d10 x 250 gp, three uncommon magic items, one rare item, normal starting equipment

So rolling the correct amounts

Level 8 & 10: ( [roll0] x25 ) + 500 gp + normal starting equipment + Normal Background

Level 12: ( [roll1] x250 ) + 5000 gp + two uncommon magic items + normal starting equipment + Normal Background

>
I will either have 600 at Level 8 & 10 + normal starting equipment + Normal Background
or 7,000 at Level 12 + two uncommon magic items + normal starting equipment + Normal Background
<

@ybn1197

do you have any issue with the Blood Hunter Class? ( it is listed in dndbeyond )- if not I will probably build that

Otherwise I will have to think on something

Also
9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points? Attributes will be picked from the predetermined stats: 15,14,13,12,10,8. Hit Points will be rolled randomly in the dice thread.

no real need for a separate thread for hit points folks can do that here as a simple function.

Infernally Clay
2023-11-29, 07:54 AM
Okay, let's see how much money I'll have to work with.

[roll0] x 25gp + 500gp
[roll1] x 250gp + 5000gp

So either 550gp or 7500gp? Hmm...

Rilem
2023-11-29, 10:12 AM
Gold rolls:

8/10: [roll0] x25 +500
12: [roll1] x250 + 5000

(Un)Inspired
2023-11-29, 10:42 AM
Rolls 4 Golds:

[roll0] x 25 + 500gp

[roll1] x 250 + 5000gp

Edit: 550gp or 6750gp

Infernally Clay
2023-11-29, 11:18 AM
I shall roll hit points here. If we go less than twelfth level I'll just remove what I need to.

[roll0]

So that's...

8th - 71 hit points
10th - 90 hit points
12th - 108 hit points

Paladin12
2023-11-29, 02:08 PM
[roll0]
8th
10th
12th

Dr.Samurai
2023-11-29, 10:30 PM
Rolling for HP for level 12 Ranger:

Level 1: 13hp
Level 2: [roll0]
Level 3: [roll1]
Level 4: [roll2]
Level 5: [roll3]
Level 6: [roll4]
Level 7: [roll5]
Level 8: [roll6]
Level 9: [roll7]
Level 10: [roll8]
Level 11: [roll9]
Level 12: [roll10]

Dr.Samurai
2023-11-29, 11:14 PM
https://storage.googleapis.com/pai-images/24604e44dc174ee1ae3be992b9f74c5a.jpeg Turq the Merc (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2815249)
Half-Orc Ranger Beast Master
AC: 18 HP: 116/116
PPer: 20 PInv: 10 PIns: 16
Conditions: --
Concentrating: --
Ho there greenhorn! The name's Turq the Merc, and this blood-sucking bat-bug is Scourge the Stirge. A veritable army of two, we're the toughest hides and the fastest knives that money can buy. Assumin' you've got the coin.

https://db4sgowjqfwig.cloudfront.net/campaigns/110358/assets/457103/10-stirge.jpg?1431127555 Scourge the Stirge (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2858320)
Stirge Ranger's Companion
AC: 18 HP: 48/48
PPer: 9 PInv: 6 PIns: 9
Conditions: --
*monstrous mosquito noises*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rolling for coin in the spoiler below:

[roll0] x 250gp + 5000gp
Mithral Plate Armor
+1 Longsword

Rilem
2023-11-30, 03:18 PM
Orwin HP rolls

1: 8 + Con (3)
2: [roll0]
3: [roll1]
4: [roll2]
5: [roll3]
6: [roll4]
7: [roll5]
8: [roll6]
9: [roll7]
10: [roll8]
11: [roll9]
12: [roll10]

Level 8: 56
Level 10: 73
Level 12: 92

ybn1197
2023-11-30, 03:40 PM
I am thinking about rolling a Hexblade Warlock (trueclassed), loosely based on the Dark Knight of Final Fantasy fame. Basically a mercenary for hire who uses dark powers for their own and the kingdom's gain. I assume no large backstory is needed? Does this allow Tasha's reallocation rules for races' attribute boni?
Correct, no large backstory as it will have little baring on the game. As for Normal magic campaign, its exactly as samduke explained. This will be a magic-influenced game along the lines of Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms.

I'm liking the look of the newest monk in dnd one playtest 8. I don't imagine I could play that could i?
Unfortunately I do not have a Beyond account so I have no access to the playtest information re: DnD One; I won't be accepting anything from the playtest.

do you have any issue with the Blood Hunter Class? ( it is listed in dndbeyond )- if not I will probably build that

Otherwise I will have to think on something

Also

no real need for a separate thread for hit points folks can do that here as a simple function.

I do have the Blood Hunter class from the DMs Guild so you are free to use that as a class. And that is a valid point for the hit points.:smallbiggrin:

Talivan
2023-11-30, 03:41 PM
Showing Interests in this campaign!

ybn1197
2023-11-30, 04:20 PM
Apparently this has drawn a lot of interest so I am going to try and keep an up-to-date table on all who are interested and at what point they are in the character creation process.

Player
Character
Sheet
Hit Points
Gold

Paladin12
Cleric

8 to 12
8 to 12

Infernally Clay
Barbarian (Path of Giants)
https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25923399&postcount=30
8 to 12
8 to 12

Spore
Hexblade Warlock

Awful
Warlock/Sorcerer
https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2861004

(Un)Inspired
Barbarian/Celestial Warlock

8 to 12

Lord Ruby34
Druid

Dr. Samurai
Ranger (Beast Master)
https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2815249
12th
12th

Rilem
armorer artificer
8 to 12
8 to 12

samduke
Blood Hunter (Lycan) /Fighter (Rune Knight)
https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2799576
49+c / 53+c / 60+c
600 @ L 8 & 10 and 7,000 @ L 12

Talivan

zylodrizzt
Bard

Spore
2023-11-30, 04:21 PM
Warlock (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2858550) - general idea would be a knight that was postponed to attack said cave, noting that he lost his brother in arms (and maybe love interest) in the attack he missed out on. Struck with survivor's guilt he swears to help clear
HP: 8 [roll0] (I shall roll more if we are higher level)
Uncommon Item: Armor holding his battle brother's spirit (http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/wondrous-items:plate-of-knights-fellowship) if it comes to it.
Money: [roll1] x25 + 500 for now, I will only change out modifiers and not reroll.

zylodrizzt
2023-11-30, 04:41 PM
Shoot I didn't see where you answered my question so sent a dm. My bad.

samduke
2023-11-30, 05:11 PM
I do have the Blood Hunter class from the DMs Guild so you are free to use that as a class. And that is a valid point for the hit points.:smallbiggrin:

@ybn1197

are we using custom backgrounds ?

Can I trade my 2 uncommon magic items for 1 rare magic item (Amulet Of Health)?
otherwise I am looking at Adamantine Armor & Gauntlets Of Ogre Power

Can I have Intelligence keyed for all the features as explained below ?

Variant Hemocraft Ability Score: As a blood hunter, you use your Intelligence modifier for some of your class and subclass features. However, with your DM’s permission, you can choose to instead use your Wisdom modifier for all your blood hunter features that use your Intelligence modifier by default.

I would also like to see if I can purchase the following
Hammerhead, Broadhead, Corkscrew - Arrows

Hit Points
level 1 = 10 + Con
levels 2 through 8 [roll0]

levels 9,10 [roll1]

levels 11,12 [roll2]

Race: Fizban’s Gem Dragonborn (Amethyst)
Background : if custom: Stealth and Arcana with a tool prof. and a language - otherwise I will have to look into options

Feats
Resilient (Wisdom)
Medium Armor Master

Blood Hunter (levels 1-4)
Fighting Style: Two-Weapon Fighting

Crimson Rite: Rite of the Storm. Your rite damage is lightning damage

Blood Curse: Exposure

Blood Hunter Order: Lycan

then Multiclass into (Intelligence score of 13 or higher and a Strength or Dexterity score of 13)

Fighter (levels 5-8)
Fighting Style: Defense

Archetype: Rune Knight
Fire Rune & Stone Rune

Then for levels 9-12
Fighter add 2 to 4 levels

Player
Character
Sheet
Hit Points
Gold

Paladin12
Cleric

8 to 12
8 to 12

Infernally Clay
Fighter (Rune Knight)

8 to 12
8 to 12

Spore
Hexblade Warlock

Awful
Sorcerer

(Un)Inspired

8 to 12

Lord Ruby34
Druid

Dr. Samurai
Ranger (Beast Master)
12th
12th

Rilem
armorer artificer
8 to 12
8 to 12

samduke
Noelle Silva (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2799576)
49+c / 53+c / 60+c

Talivan

zylodrizzt
2023-11-30, 09:04 PM
Ok so the class and race (background tbd) is warforged creation bard. The idea is that the warforged is like a proxy remotely operated as a prototype system. I'd prefer the casting Stat be int but I don't see that happening the question is can I play a warforged? Tho perhaps there are other hiccups as well perhaps

Awful
2023-12-04, 02:41 PM
Sorc HP:
Basic d6 roll: [roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
Cash:
[roll11]

Infernally Clay
2023-12-09, 01:52 PM
Had a change of heart so now I'm going Barbarian to try out the new Giants subclass.

HP: [roll0]

Here are the links for Sigrún at 8th, 10th and 12th level:

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2860753
https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2860754
https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2860755

They're not quite finished yet but I'll finish them by the end of the weekend.

Awful
2023-12-10, 02:40 PM
Goops (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2861004) the slime, at roughly level 8. I can finish off the fine details once we learn what level we'll actually be.

ybn1197
2023-12-11, 11:05 AM
I have 5 complete character sheets. I am going to let the others get themselves finished if they are still interested and the game will begin Monday. I will announce the players as we get closer to the weekend and I have a more solid idea as to who is still interested in the game.

If you have unanswered questions (I had a real busy week of work last week and definitely lost track of posts) please repost them under this message so I know to get my a$$ in gear and answer them.

The updated table of interested parties is here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25917966&postcount=24).

Talivan
2023-12-12, 10:38 PM
I have 5 complete character sheets. I am going to let the others get themselves finished if they are still interested and the game will begin Monday. I will announce the players as we get closer to the weekend and I have a more solid idea as to who is still interested in the game.

If you have unanswered questions (I had a real busy week of work last week and definitely lost track of posts) please repost them under this message so I know to get my a$$ in gear and answer them.

The updated table of interested parties is here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25917966&postcount=24).

I'm still Interested in this game, but hadn't had time to work on it, I will assemble a Wizard 3 // Rogue 5-9 Wizard 2 // Rogue 6-10, will have something in the next few days

Rolls:
Level 8 & 10: [roll0] x25 + 500 gp
Level 12: [roll1] + 5000 gp

HP:
Lv 01: (R)8
Lv 02: (R)[roll2]
Lv 03: (R)[roll3]
Lv 04: (R)[roll4]
Lv 05: (R)[roll5]
Lv 06: (W)[roll6]
Lv 07: (W)[roll7]
Lv 08: (W)[roll8]
------------------------
Lv 09: (R)[roll9]
Lv 10: (R)[roll10]
------------------------
Lv 11: (R)[roll11]
Lv 12: (R)[roll12]

EDIT: OUCH!!, I will be running at low HP

EDIT2: Actually it's Wizard 2 // Rogue 6-10 so I will roll one HP die again if permitted

Talivan
2023-12-13, 12:15 AM
Rolling:

Lv 08: (R)[roll0]

EDIT: LOL, no changes to HP I Guess :smallbiggrin:

Initial Sheet: No Name Yet (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2861737)

zylodrizzt
2023-12-13, 02:06 AM
Withdrawing

Spore
2023-12-13, 06:45 AM
Same here. Cannot commit to starting a game during Christmas.

ybn1197
2023-12-13, 01:15 PM
Player
Character
Sheet
Hit Points
Gold

Paladin12
Cleric

8 to 12
8 to 12

Infernally Clay
8 to 12
8 to 12

Spore
Hexblade Warlock

Awful
Warlock/Sorcerer

(Un)Inspired

8 to 12

Lord Ruby34
Druid

Dr. Samurai
Ranger (Beast Master)
12th
12th

Rilem
armorer artificer
8 to 12
8 to 12

samduke
49+c / 53+c / 60+c

Talivan
Rogue/Wizard
https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2861737
8 to 12

zylodrizzt
Bard

Spore, zylodrizzt and Lord Ruby34 have been scratched off; (Un)Inspired and Paladin12 have been PM'ed to complete their character sheets. Hopefully we will be able to get started by Monday.

Awful
2023-12-20, 11:45 AM
So how is this going?

ybn1197
2024-01-03, 02:28 PM
Let me start by apologizing to everyone. This Christmas season has not been a good one. Work was more demanding the week before the holidays because everyone was given off for the week. Then, the Saturday before Christmas, a friend of my wife’s from High School passed from brain cancer. On top of that, a friend of mine lost his battle with lung cancer Christmas morning. Things are stabilizing and I would like to get back to starting this game. If everyone who is still interested would post here, we will set the group level and try to get started.

Talivan
2024-01-03, 02:55 PM
Hey ybn, sorry to hear about your fiends, life is harsh...take your time.

ybn1197
2024-01-03, 03:00 PM
Player
Character
Sheet
Hit Points
Gold

Infernally Clay
8 to 12
8 to 12

Awful
Warlock/Sorcerer

Dr. Samurai
Ranger (Beast Master)
12th
12th

Rilem
armorer artificer
8 to 12
8 to 12

samduke
49+c / 53+c / 60+c

Talivan
Rogue/Wizard
https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2861737
8 to 12

Infernally Clay
2024-01-03, 03:48 PM
I'm still up for this. :D

Rilem
2024-01-03, 03:50 PM
My sympathies as well … and am still up for this, btw, but by all means take the time you need.

Awful
2024-01-03, 06:01 PM
My condolences for your losses, that is a tragic string of events.

I'm still interested.

Kerilstrasz
2024-01-03, 06:17 PM
Sorry for your loss...
I hope things will only pick up from now on...

I'd like to introduce a character...
Let me make sure first that the sources/material i need for her are available...

Mark of Hospitality Halfling (Race)
http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/lineage:halfling

Silvery Barbs (Spell)
http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/spell:silvery-barbs

Bountiful Luck (Feat)
http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/feat:bountiful-luck

Everything else is Core books...
It is a support built.. If i need to use any kind of action to do direct damage,
I'll consider the built a failure :P

Assuming the above are approved, I ll have a perfectly ready sheet in 24hours.

Dr.Samurai
2024-01-05, 06:45 PM
That's awful ybn1197, so sorry to hear of your loss.