PDA

View Full Version : Houserule Polymorph: Monomorph!

Rigon
2007-12-11, 06:53 PM
Monomorph is just a pun, but we can call it a spell. yes.

Monomorph (and all of its versions) does the same as Polymorph (lesser, greater, baleful, normal, light, deluxe) BUT the creature you transform into is specific to the spell you have no choice. if you want another creature you must learn another monomorph. the transformation is unique, the creature you turn into is just as unique as you are, meaning someone knowing your monomorphed form will recognize you always. wizards knowing 5 or more monomorph spells can create another version but he must have either a well conserver corpse or a willing living body to study. the creation of the spell takes about 1 month and costs about 100 times (90+1D20) as much polymorph to cast).

Shapeswitching does the same as Shapeshifting but with the same restrictions as Monomorph (compared to polymorph).

If this idea was made long before me then sorry. This would be a more DM friendly version of polymorph.

puppyavenger
2007-12-11, 08:52 PM
sooo sorcerors can't be effective shapechangers?

tyckspoon
2007-12-11, 09:01 PM
See also: Trollform, that one spell that makes you a Winter Wolf, the one that makes you a hellhound, the one that... Wizards decided this was the best way to go a while ago, after trying and failing to fix Polymorph itself; they just don't have the ability to strike Polymorph out of the PHB and insert the line of whatever-form spells in its place. The only major difference I can see between those spells and this suggestion is that this suggestion involves a unique appearance for the creature; the other polymorph replacement spells, IIRC, include that 'you get a +10 to disguise' line for trying to pretend to naturally be any specific or generic creature of the type you're turning into.

Rigon
2007-12-12, 04:45 AM
sooo sorcerors can't be effective shapechangers?
with this they can't... sorcerers learn only few spells so learning one monomorph spell will not help them enough.

See also: Trollform. The only major difference I can see between those spells and this suggestion is that this suggestion involves a unique appearance for the creature
i guess i'm no genius after all. this monomorph gives a disguise bonus too but it has no effect if the one trying to "sense motive" already knows your monomorphed form.
my english is pretty bad... so i try to make myself clear with examples:
disguise bonus
you monomorph into a rat. then you sneak past the troll guarding the cave. the troll saw a rat and didn't care. thus you got disguise bonus.

no disguise bonus
you monomorph into a rat in front of the entire party. you climb through the hole in the wall. you turn back to human and search for the mechanism which opens the door. you find nothing. you monomorph again into a rat (the very same rat) and climb back through the hole in the dungeon's wall. the party will know that you are the "you" just monomorphed into a rat.

Lady Tialait
2007-12-12, 06:51 AM
Rigon, i really like it. the other spells there arn't that many of. I can see this monomorph working better.

Your always so informative. i've seen people who have good English communicate worse then you what they mean...I'm using this spell for my game btw

Rigon
2007-12-12, 07:16 AM
thank you for the praise :smallredface: you flatter me *wink* :smallwink: (can imps wink?)