PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting [WW/Mafia] Upick 6: Time Warp

2023-12-05, 02:40 AM
The clock has too many hands. People are walking in reverse...or, sideways, sometimes? Consequences are arriving before whatever was supposed to cause them, altering their own origin. People are becoming their own grandparents.

Someone is mucking with the time stream. You've got to catch them and put things right before the whole spacetime continuum collapses.

Basic Mechanics
This is a game of Werewolf/Mafia. It functions somewhat like "Among Us", if you are more familiar with that game.

Prior to the game starting, I will randomly assign roles to players. The role you receive will define your win condition and what powers you have (if any). If you are a member of the scum team, you will start the game in secret contact with other members of scum team via a group QT, which you can use to discuss strategy without being discovered.

The game will start on a Day Phase; the first Day Phase will last 72 hours, while subsequent ones will last 48 hours. During any Day Phase, all players can vote for who they wish to "lynch" (remove from the game) that phase. Your vote is not set in stone once cast, and you can recast your vote at any time (or even unvote entirely), provided that the phase has not ended. To cast your vote, please bold and color in red the name of the person you wish to vote. It doesn't have to be their forum name proper, or some official "I vote [name]", as long as it's recognizable who you're voting and the formatting has been done. If you are changing your vote, do not go back and cross out your old one. This is different from how these games normally handle vote changes, but for this one in particular it would be helpful to me if votes remained uncrossed.

Examples of acceptable voting:

I would like to vote for AvatarVecna
I think AV is being pretty sus right now
I scried Vecna as a wolf last night

At the end of the day phase, I'll tally votes, and declare how many votes each wagon received. Whichever wagon has the most votes is lynched and can no longer participate in the game publicly or privately (except for Dead Chat, where they can talk with me and anybody else who is already dead). I will then inform the other players of that person's role and alignment. If there was a tie between who had the most votes, whoever reached that vote total first will be the one removed from the game.

After a Day Phase ends, the game will shift to the Night Phase; all Night Phases will last 24 hours. If you possess a power that lets you target somebody during the Night Phase, this is the time to use it. During this time, the scum team will be able to select a non-scum player to be killed (as well as using whatever other powers they might have as well). After a Night Phase ends, the game will shift to the Day Phase once more.

This cycle will repeat until one of two things happens: either all members of one team or the other is eliminated, or the elimination of all members of one team is inevitable. For example, if you get to a Day Phase with 7 players left (3 town, 4 scum), town has basically already lost, and so a Mercy Rule will be invoked to call the game early instead of making everybody play through the next 120 hours.

Private Communication

This game will make use of a Discord server (https://discord.gg/XJtz6Zcvk7), which players can use to communicate power usage to the narrator, and which wolves can use to conspire together. While the game is active, players may not communicate about the game privately except through this Discord server, and even then only if they have a power specifically allowing it. You aren't forbidden from talking to other players in private at all, but that discussion shouldn't be in regards to the game. All discussion of the game should take place in the game thread or the discord server.

Narrator Confirmation

Narrator confirmation of things will be limited, but the narrator will not lie to you; if you are told a thing by the narrator (such as a death reveal, or an answer on a power interaction), it will be the truth. With that being said: there is no bastard mechanic. There are three weird mechanics this game, but all of them will be spelled out in detail below.

1) Extra Lives

All players start with two lives. This is to ensure that the game goes long and people get a lot of time to play, and also to ensure that the second mechanic doesn't cause the game to end extremely suddenly. If someone's extra life is used up, that will be announced instead of their role information.

2) Upick Roles

Once you're signed up and in the discord server, I'll make you a private channel. In there, you can link up to five TvTropes pages of your choice, that will serve as the seed for your powers. These TvTropes should relate to time in some fashion. This does not necessarily have to be about time travel or causality or anything weird like that, as long as it's clear how it relates to time. I will design your role and powers around one to three of these tropes.

3) Time Warp

So the general rules have a game go like Day 1 (D1) followed by Night 1 (N1), etc. So it goes like D1, N1, D2, N2, D3, N3, D4, N4, D5, N5. Something like that. In this game, phases are packaged together in groups of four or six, depending on how many players we get. Within each package, all phases are jumbled randomly. So it might go N2, D1, D2, N1 (if there are four) or N3, N2, D2, N1, D3, D1 (if there are six). At the end of each phase, I will announce who 'died', as previously described, but that player is not yet removed from the game, and may continue casting votes and using powers. At the end of a package, I will take some time to put the phases back in Actual Time, and use that to determine which players were removed. Information powers will generally resolve immediately, but any powers that can affect player removal (vote manipulation, banes, voides, vortexes, etc) will be determined only after the package has been completed and I've put things in Actual Time. This will cause cascading effects, which is why it will take me some time to determine what is happening.

If someone would be voted out on D1, and would be murdered during N2, then their votes on all later days, and their power usages on later nights, wouldn't actually happen. Additionally, votes on that player on later days will be stricken from the record. For example, if AvatarVecna voted for flat_footed on D3 but then later in D3 switched to voting Rogan, and it turns out Rogan was eliminated D1+N1, then for the purposes of the D3 vote, AvatarVecna is voting flat_footed. If Rogan was a vote manipulator who was manipulating the vote on D2 and D3, this can get even more complicated.

Additionally, while most powers resolved at the end of a package will function based on Actual Time, some powers may function based on Experienced Time. These powers will be resolved at the same time, but will affect things base on the original order. For example, if Rogan is a vote manipulator and uses their power on "N3" that causes AvatarVecna's vote to be cancelled "the next day (in experienced time)", and the next day was D1, then AV's vote on D1 will be cancelled. If Rogan would be eliminated D1/N1, then that N3 power usage would still be cancelled. However, if Rogan being eliminated D1 was the direct result of their own N3 vote manipulation power (and if they hadn't used the power, they wouldn't have been eliminated), this can cause a Paradox. Paradoxes are resolved by [REDACTED]. Do try not to cause paradoxes.

Discord server (https://discord.gg/XJtz6Zcvk7)

Player List:

Xihirli
3SecondCultist
bladescape
Book Wombat
Caedorus
Captain Cap
Cazero
corncobweb
Eclipse Dynasty
flat_footed
gunyo77yt
Illven
JeenLeen
Let'sGetKraken
Luizeu
MerelBlackbird
Persolus
Rogan
Snowblaze
Xumtiil

Unsure Role:

Batcathat

Book Wombat
2023-12-05, 02:45 AM
Timing is everything!

Snowblaze
2023-12-05, 03:05 AM
In. For Chaos!

Illven
2023-12-05, 09:42 AM
In for good? :smalltongue:

JeenLeen
2023-12-05, 10:52 AM
I already died on D2, so it seems kinda a waste to enter, but still might be fun. At least I won on D6 before I died.

In.

JeenLeen
2023-12-05, 11:26 AM
In the TVTrope game, the tropes were our powers and (if I remember correctly) our Role was a mishmash/derivative of the tropes.

For this game, would the actual trope be revealed when we die (or if there's some power-scry) such that is the seed and the power name, or is the trope really just a seed for you making a custom power?

flat_footed
2023-12-05, 12:26 PM
I don't want to go.

2023-12-05, 12:27 PM
In the TVTrope game, the tropes were our powers and (if I remember correctly) our Role was a mishmash/derivative of the tropes.

For this game, would the actual trope be revealed when we die (or if there's some power-scry) such that is the seed and the power name, or is the trope really just a seed for you making a custom power?

On first death, I'll declare your extra life expended. On second death, I post your full role. Role name, alignment, wincon if relevant, power names, and powers. Currently aiming for power names to be the tropes chosen, but that might change by gamestart.

MerelBlackbird
2023-12-05, 01:17 PM
I'm in! This sounds like fun!

Rogan
2023-12-05, 01:51 PM
I guess, I can't fully resist the temptation. But I reserve the right to be silent and/or play in an unusual way.

Still, I'm in!

Luizeu
2023-12-05, 02:03 PM
I'm in as well

flat_footed
2023-12-05, 03:05 PM
I don't want to go.

This is a quote from the Tenth, with 'in' bolded, just so you know I'm in. :smalltongue:

Batcathat
2023-12-05, 03:14 PM
The setup sounds fun (if rather confusing), but I'm not sure how much time/energy I'll have so I'm leaning towards either spectator or potential replacement. But we'll see how I'm feeling when we get closer to the start, I might not be able to resist.

Eclipse Dynasty
2023-12-05, 04:04 PM
I'm in, sounds fun

Persolus
2023-12-05, 04:27 PM
this sounds like absolute glorious chaos
i'm in.

Xihirli
2023-12-05, 04:40 PM
I'll join as a player.
Now that my class is finishing up I'm hoping to have more time.

2023-12-05, 04:45 PM
This is a quote from the Tenth, with 'in' bolded, just so you know I'm in. :smalltongue:

Missed it cuz you ninja'd me while I was doing an update while half-asleep. :smalltongue:

flat_footed
2023-12-05, 04:59 PM
Missed it cuz you ninja'd me while I was doing an update while half-asleep. :smalltongue:

Just a taste of my temporal mastery. :smallamused:

Caedorus
2023-12-05, 07:17 PM
I already died on D2, so it seems kinda a waste to enter, but still might be fun. At least I won on D6 before I died.

In.
Inb4 this happens.

When is game start expected to be?

2023-12-05, 07:21 PM
Inb4 this happens.

Two weeks from today.

bladescape
2023-12-05, 07:47 PM
Inb4 this happens.

Yesterday.

----

I can't believe AV hasn't added me to the list of players yet. I inned two days in the future.

3SecondCultist
2023-12-06, 02:03 PM

I was going to applaud the reference, until you explained it.

flat_footed
2023-12-06, 02:25 PM
I was going to applaud the reference, until you explained it.

I'm sorry, I'm so sorry.

Caedorus
2023-12-07, 11:14 AM
Future me has signed in, right?

Inb4 this happens.

Whew, almost a paradox

gunyo77yt
2023-12-07, 02:27 PM
I'm In. And I'm new so what do we do here?

flat_footed
2023-12-07, 02:31 PM
I'm In. And I'm new so what do we do here?

Welcome!

It looks like you've already joined the Discord, which is half the battle. Have you ever played Werewolf/Mafia before, either online or in person?

gunyo77yt
2023-12-07, 02:45 PM
Welcome!

It looks like you've already joined the Discord, which is half the battle. Have you ever played Werewolf/Mafia before, either online or in person?

yes i have. but the last time i played it was thanksgiving.

bladescape
2023-12-07, 07:19 PM
This looks like a fun game, /in

Let'sGetKraken
2023-12-09, 01:32 PM
Me? I signed up weeks ago.

Xumtiil
2023-12-09, 06:15 PM
This was a lovely game, I don't regret signing up after a few days it was done.

Cazero
2023-12-10, 04:32 AM
I retired two days ago, but I guess I'll have to jump in this one. Too many people deliberately trying to make paradoxes. Can't be good for the time stream.

corncobweb
2023-12-10, 11:15 PM
Hello, I'd like to join please.

discord name is identical to forum name.

Captain Cap
2023-12-16, 04:43 PM
I'm baaaack!

Two weeks from today.
And I seem to be in time too.

Athedia
2023-12-20, 08:12 AM
Sorry can I still slide in?

It has been a rough two weeks for me and I lost track of time.

2023-12-20, 08:21 AM
Sorry can I still slide in?

It has been a rough two weeks for me and I lost track of time.

Game is starting sometime today, when the game thread gets approved. If you're in the discord and have tropes picked before then, I'll add you to the roster. Think you've got the focus to get that knocked out real quick?

Athedia
2023-12-20, 10:09 AM
Game is starting sometime today, when the game thread gets approved. If you're in the discord and have tropes picked before then, I'll add you to the roster. Think you've got the focus to get that knocked out real quick?

o7! Can do!

2023-12-20, 10:58 AM
We're live! (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?663105) Day 2 ends in ~72 hours.