PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Selune & Shar teaching to quote (and misquote)

Oramac
2023-12-05, 10:58 AM
Hey y'all. So I started playing a character the other day with (IMO) a pretty cool story. I'm an Aasimar Twilight Cleric. However, I do not know what kind of Aasimar I am, as I do not know precisely which deity grants my powers. We're still 1st level, so I haven't needed to choose a Celestial Revelation yet (using MotM). I know that my powers are granted by either Selune or Shar, but I do not know which, and part of my quest is to figure this all out.

Anyway, one of my personality traits is "I often quote (and misquote) the sacred texts of my faith". So I'm looking for fun and creative "sacred texts" of both Selune and Shar that I can quote and misquote.

Thanks!

Witty Username
2023-12-05, 09:13 PM
Refer to them as "The Sisters who are one" or the "The Twin-Faced Goddess" from time to time when discussing them. It is true but also from how they were referred a long time ago. Taking their feud as metaphorical rather than literal is a pretty fast way to get some comedy/drama.
"History of the Sisters of Light and Darkness" is a literal text of their early days, I only know of the BG1 item version though.

Oramac
2023-12-06, 09:34 AM
Refer to them as "The Sisters who are one" or the "The Twin-Faced Goddess" from time to time when discussing them. It is true but also from how they were referred a long time ago. Taking their feud as metaphorical rather than literal is a pretty fast way to get some comedy/drama.
"History of the Sisters of Light and Darkness" is a literal text of their early days, I only know of the BG1 item version though.

That's perfect! Thank you! Especially since one of the other players is extremely into the deities and their lore. This will be a great way to create some banter back and forth.

animewatcha
2023-12-07, 08:51 PM
3.5 had a little blurb of something like this when they were doing lore/explaining/whatever for their 'heretic of the faith' feat. Was champions of valor or ruin or some other book? Pretty much two sides same coin gain more followers.

RazorChain
2023-12-08, 12:50 AM
Hey y'all. So I started playing a character the other day with (IMO) a pretty cool story. I'm an Aasimar Twilight Cleric. However, I do not know what kind of Aasimar I am, as I do not know precisely which deity grants my powers. We're still 1st level, so I haven't needed to choose a Celestial Revelation yet (using MotM). I know that my powers are granted by either Selune or Shar, but I do not know which, and part of my quest is to figure this all out.

Anyway, one of my personality traits is "I often quote (and misquote) the sacred texts of my faith". So I'm looking for fun and creative "sacred texts" of both Selune and Shar that I can quote and misquote.

Thanks!

Just choose the Dark Moon heresy and you don't even have to choose between them!!!!

Millstone85
2023-12-10, 01:35 PM
Just choose the Dark Moon heresy and you don't even have to choose between them!!!!IIUC, the Dark Moon heresy is a question of tense. HotSoLaD refers to them as the sisters who were one, which is something most Selūnites and Sharrans would agree on. The heresy is to claim they are one still.

Interestingly, the new Baldur's Gate has it that a Sharran holy item can be transformed into its Selūnite version because "Whatever Shar calls her own, Selūne has equal claim to. They are one and the same. Their power is matched and mirrored." as said by a spoiler-heavy character who would know what she is talking about.

That implies the heresy is correct at least to some degree. From there it is easy to imagine a depressing situation where the followers of one goddess unknowingly empower both...
Pretty much two sides same coin gain more followers.Yup, like that. Kind of a scam.

BG3 also attempts to present how people would justify worshipping the darkness. I don't have quotes but there is a bit about closing your eyes and looking inward, seeking a place of inner peace. Do you then see burning light or a deep comforting darkness? The latter, of course, and the afterlife promised by Shar is like this. There may however be a great deal of loss and pain, to both endure and dispense, on the way to prove oneself worthy of that final rest.

Also, I picture the Twofold Goddess being called something like Shelūr and looking like this:
https://i.imgur.com/QMsJFq8.jpg

Zevox
2023-12-10, 02:17 PM
If you want their teachings, can't get more direct than their respective dogmas from Faiths & Pantheons.
Let all on whom Selūne's light falls be welcome if they desire. As the silver moon waxes and wanes, so too does life. Trust in Selūne's radiance, and know that all love alive under her light shall know her blessing. Turn to the moon, and she will be your true guide. Promote acceptance and tolerance. See all other beings as equals. Aid fellow Selūnites as if they were our dearest friends.
Reveal secrets only to fellow members of the faithful. Never follow hope or turn to promises of success. Quench the light of the moon (angets and items of Selūne) wherever you find it, and hide from it when you cannot prevail. The dark is a time to act, not wait. It is forbidden to strive to better your lot in life or to plan ahead except when directly overseen by the faithful of the Dark Deity. Consorting with the faithful of good deities is a sin except in business dealings or to corrupt them from their beliefs. Obey ranking clergy unless it would result in your own death.

Witty Username
2023-12-10, 04:50 PM
Viconia has some lines in BG2 as I understand it that her worshiper is Shar is motivated by safety, as her drow related understanding of things sees darkness as means of protection.

Loss being not necessarily a bad thing frequently comes up with Shar,
Forgetting painful memories and dreamless sleep being atributed to her.

follacchioso
2023-12-18, 01:30 PM
Unfortunately this is the sort of things that nowadays, takes 5 minutes to generate in ChatGPT.

Here is what I got:

For Selune:
1. "In the moon's gentle glow, find solace for your soul, for within its phases, secrets unfold."
2. "As darkness retreats before dawn's first light, so too shall your troubles yield to hope's might."

For Shar:
1. "Embrace the shadows, where truth and mystery entwine, for in darkness, power and destiny align."
2. "In the depth of night, behold the veil's allure, where secrets whispered become darkness' pure."

You can get more just by copying and pasting your message in ChatGPT / Bard / Bing or whatever LLM of your choice.

There is no point fighting the machine; you may as well embrace it and get a good D&D session from it. (this last quote is mine :-))

Oramac
2023-12-19, 09:45 AM
I take a break for a few days and y'all come in with some amazing stuff! Thank you all! I will 100% be using all of this.