PDA

View Full Version : Spider form lesser

Shinoskay
2023-12-06, 07:15 AM
So, I'm realizing that you can harvest poison and spider silk from spider form because its a polymorph.

Poison is easy enough, a bites worth released per round into some harvest vassel.

How much spider web though? How much can they release per round?

Also, are there any mechanics for how to process spider web into spidersilk?

Also, taking this a little futher, how could I go about cutting off one or two of my legs in a single round (meat and chiting) and would doing so cause me to lose any of my normal limbs?

Analytica
2023-12-06, 07:25 AM
"Hey, druid dude? You can shapeshift, right? To animals and stuff? So, we need, like, an eagle's eye for this spell, as a material component. Could you, you know..."

I can totally see a spider shapeshifter making silk and poison to trade, or even weaving fabrics. But cutting off limbs? Would you, really?

Shinoskay
2023-12-06, 07:31 AM
"Hey, druid dude? You can shapeshift, right? To animals and stuff? So, we need, like, an eagle's eye for this spell, as a material component. Could you, you know..."

... Would you, really?

You are telling me you cant see a wizard doing that? Seriously? if its not permenant loss then why the hell not

Morphic tide
2023-12-06, 08:46 AM

I can totally see a spider shapeshifter making silk and poison to trade, or even weaving fabrics. But cutting off limbs? Would you, really?
Surprisingly available RAW:

A creature using alternate form reverts to its natural form when killed, but separated body parts retain their shape.
Though the Regeneration castings are pricy.

Shinoskay
2023-12-06, 09:06 AM
Surprisingly available RAW:

A creature using alternate form reverts to its natural form when killed, but separated body parts retain their shape.

yes, but would removing one or two of the spider legs count as the removal of a limb from the original form?

Would one leg?

it has 8, you have 4, after all.

Feantar
2023-12-06, 07:08 PM
yes, but would removing one or two of the spider legs count as the removal of a limb from the original form?

Would one leg?

it has 8, you have 4, after all.

Since it transforms all of you into the new form - it doesn't add something (sorta - it adds mass all over but that's magic for you), two legs out of 8 would be the equivalent of 1 limb out of 4. One leg would be partial removal going by symmetry.

That said, rings of regeneration would fix this.

loky1109
2023-12-08, 03:01 AM
Since it transforms all of you into the new form - it doesn't add something (sorta - it adds mass all over but that's magic for you), two legs out of 8 would be the equivalent of 1 limb out of 4. One leg would be partial removal going by symmetry.

Or spider legs aren't homologs of vertebrates' legs and you lose something else. Part of lung?

Feantar
2023-12-15, 05:40 PM
Or spider legs aren't homologs of vertebrates' legs and you lose something else. Part of lung?

The malevolent DM within me cackled at this. "Do I have all my extremities?" "Sure! As you try to sigh with relief you realise you can't. There's nowhere for the air to go to.".

Shinoskay
2023-12-15, 06:15 PM

actually, it specifically says your limbs shrivel away and new limbs sprout from you. Meaning it does indeed add the limbs.

however, hilariously,

Could become a fair interpretation since the legs are coming out of your torso.

The malevolent DM within me cackled at this. "Do I have all my extremities?" "Sure! As you try to sigh with relief you realise you can't. There's nowhere for the air to go to.".

while id never want you to be my dm, this is pretty hilarious to think about happening to someone else.