PDA

View Full Version : Two-Weapon Fighting and Natural Weapons

An Enemy Spy
2023-12-09, 07:37 PM
I am giving Ranger levels to an Aboleth big baddy my players will be facing and I'm wondering how the Two-Weapon Fighting feat it gets from it's combat style works with natural weapons. Do I just give it an extra tentacle attack with a -2 penalty?

liquidformat
2023-12-09, 08:09 PM
Take a look at Fangshields Ranger substitution levels from Champions of Valor. Instead of getting two weapon fighting and the rest of that chain you instead get Improved Natural Weapon, Multiattack, weapon focus, and greater weapon focus.

animewatcha
2023-12-09, 08:53 PM
I am giving Ranger levels to an Aboleth big baddy my players will be facing and I'm wondering how the Two-Weapon Fighting feat it gets from it's combat style works with natural weapons. Do I just give it an extra tentacle attack with a -2 penalty?

Not unless you can count the tentacle as a weapon like morning star or something. Weapons and natural attacks would be like 'dagger attacks' then 'tentacle attacks at a -5 penalty' (if you don't have the improved multiattack feat i believe). Things get REALLY wonky if you use unarmed strikes. Some natural attacks have special rules like Skarn.

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-12-09, 10:16 PM
A level in monk with Beast Strike would allow you to add claw or slam damage to unarmed strikes, or just add unarmed strikes to the natural attack routine. I know aboleths have tentacles instead of slams, but you're the DM, and there's not that much difference between bashing someone with an arm and bashing someone with an arm that's also a tentacle.

Beast Strike (Dragon #355)
Prerequisite: Base attack bonus +5, Improved Unarmed Strike, claw or slam attack
Benefit: When you make an unarmed strike or grapple check to deal damage, you may add your claw or slam damage to your unarmed strike or grapple damage.
Special: A fighter may select Beast Strike as a fighter bonus feat.

Martial monk replaces standard monk feats with fighter feats, so...

ixrisor
2023-12-11, 10:50 AM
Two-weapon fighting doesn’t interact with natural weapons at all, it only works for manufactured weapons. The rules for using a mixture of natural and manufactured weapons basically say:

A: you get however many attacks you normally would with your manufactured weapons, including TWF, base attack bonus, etc.

B: then you make all your natural attacks

C: your natural attacks are all made as secondary attacks, and you can’t use a natural weapon that was used to hold a weapon in part A

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-12-11, 10:56 AM
Rapidstrike and Improved Rapidstrike from Draconomicon, maybe?

Rapidstrike
If you have a pair of natural weapons, such as two claws, two wings, or two slams, you can make one extra attack with one of those weapons at a -5 penalty. A creature with multiple limbs qualifies for this feat as well, such as a creature with three arms and three claw attacks.

Special: You can take this feat once for each pair of natural weapons you have. For example, a Large dragon has one bite, two claws, two wings, and one tail attacks. The dragon can take this feat twice, once for its claws and once for its wings.

Improved Rapidstrike
If you have a pair of natural weapons, such as two claws, two wings, or two slams, you can make two or more extra attacks with one of those weapons, the first at a —5 penalty and the second and subsequent attacks at an additional —5, but never more than four extra attacks. Creatures with multiple limbs qualify for this feat as well, so a creature with three arms and three claw attacks qualifies for this feat.

Special: You can take this feat once for each pair of natural weapons you have. For example, a Large true dragon has one bite, two claws, two wings, and one tail attacks. The dragon can take this feat twice, once for its claws and once for its wings.