PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Adonis inspired race and half-race

Oxylepy
2023-12-10, 01:26 AM
So, let me introduce this as what I'm actually attempting to do over-all. I wanted vehicles for Unearthly Grace without racial hit die. I have a couple options from a variation of a half-nymph and stripped down Gloura, Grimweird and Astral Stalker (removing certain features and racial HD to get to where I'm going and adjusting the level adjustments). Considering the nymph and most of its halves are generally mono-gender females I wanted a male version, so I looked around and settled on Adonis as the inspiration, creating a race and half race that both need work.
As Unearthly Grace and similar abilities would require about 3 character levels to achieve through some variation of Paladin and a one level dip into Battledancer, I had set my goals on things being at least a level adjustment of 3 to get there without going through the classes, although I violated this for the race and went lower considering a heavy downside the race has.

So, with that in mind and knowing I likely need to do quite a bit of work on these to 'balance' them, I'm seeing if anyone here wants to weigh in so the end result is neither "OMG gotta use that" nor "That's terrible"

Adonites
Str +2, Dex +4, Con +2, Cha +6
Creature Type: Fey
Medium Sized
Low-Light Vision
Unearthly Grace (Su): An adonite gains a bonus to all saving throws and a deflection bonus to his Armor Class equal to his Charisma modifier.
Eternal Rebirth (Su): Adonites are forever linked to the seasonal cycle of plants; as the summer gives way to autumn an Adonite perishes, but as spring emerges from winter he is restored at the location of his remains or the place that he perished, returning as he was prior to death. This only affects an adonite who dies from this ability, if he dies from any other means this ability does not bring him back.
Automatic Language: Common. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic).
Favored Class: Ranger
Level Adjustment: +2

Half-Adonites (template)
+2 Dexterity, +4 Charisma
Size and Type are the same as the base creature
Low-Light Vision
Unearthly Grace (Su): A half-adonite gains a bonus to all saving throws and a deflection bonus to his Armor Class equal to his Charisma modifier.
Seasonal (Su): As an adonite's nature is linked with the seasons, the half-adonite is as well, although to a lesser degree. During the winter months a half-adonite suffers a -2 penalty to his Constitution. Additionally, while suffering this penalty, any effect that would otherwise fatigue him, instead exhausts him. The exhaustion can be reduced to fatigue or removed by normal means.
Automatic Language: Common. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic).
Favored Class: Add Ranger as a favored class to the base race's
Level Adjustment: +3

Maat Mons
2023-12-10, 02:29 AM
So, every spring, an Adonite comes back to life with 1 lost level or 2 lost Constitution, as per Resurrection, until they can't be brought back because they're level 1 with only 1 or 2 Constitution? Clearly, they can only live in tropical regions, which have wet and dry seasons, instead of summer and winter seasons. I just can't imagine an Adonite managing to gain any class levels before age 7, when the loss of 12 points of Constitution would put the average one beyond the reach of Resurrection.

Oxylepy
2023-12-10, 02:35 AM
So, every spring, an Adonite comes back to life with 1 lost level or 2 lost Constitution, as per Resurrection...

A good note on ecology. I'll adjust it to be more like true resurrection

nonsi
2024-01-05, 06:53 AM
seels like you flipped the level adjustment.

Metastachydium
2024-01-06, 05:07 PM
I think I'd probably give full Adonites racial HD on top of the LA. The drawback will be dodged in a 100% of all possible use cases by players and those are quite nice racial ability bonuses there (which WotC usually oversells when assigning ECL).