PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Sword Dancer

RNightstalker
2023-12-10, 07:55 PM
So I'm looking at a Sword Dancer from Faiths & Pantheons. It's got some funky requirements that don't mix too well with just one base class that I can think of at least. It has three skill requirements (diplomacy, perform voice, perform dance) and four feat requirements (dodge, expertise, skill focus (perform) and weapon focus (any sword). Oh yeah, we can't forget ability to cast 2nd level divine spells and bab +5. Is there a way to enter somewhat earlier than waiting for 7th/8th level? And possibly be a drow as well?

daremetoidareyo
2023-12-10, 08:00 PM
So I'm looking at a Sword Dancer from Faiths & Pantheons. It's got some funky requirements that don't mix too well with just one base class that I can think of at least. It has three skill requirements (diplomacy, perform voice, perform dance) and four feat requirements (dodge, expertise, skill focus (perform) and weapon focus (any sword). Oh yeah, we can't forget ability to cast 2nd level divine spells and bab +5. Is there a way to enter somewhat earlier than waiting for 7th/8th level? And possibly be a drow as well?

Divine bard with a fighter dip?

RNightstalker
2023-12-10, 09:15 PM
Divine bard with a fighter dip?

That's a possibility, thanks for reminding me about that one. I also found Half-Elf Paragon (all skill reqs are class skills and bonus feat) with cleric spellcasting, though a fighter dip might be necessary for bab and bonus feats.

Inevitability
2023-12-11, 01:06 AM
The Perform requirement should probably be updated - in 3.0, you'd have a number of perform specializations equal to your number of ranks, but 3.5 did away with that in favor of . Perform 5 (including dancing and singing) only took 5 skill points to fulfill. I'd just change it to Perform (Dance) 5 and be done with it.

Favored Soul 4 / Darksong Knight Fighter 2 is another one that can do it quite well in such a case, gaining three out of the four prerequisites as bonus feats and making the dance requirement slightly less painful by letting you use it to feint (in case you, y'know, ever wanted to do that).

If we're okay with mild setting mixing, Aereni Focus (Perform) counts as skill focus and gets you it as a class skill for all your classes, meaning you don't have to muck around with obscure substitution levels or cross-class ranks.

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-12-11, 02:45 AM
The Perform requirement should probably be updated - in 3.0, you'd have a number of perform specializations equal to your number of ranks, but 3.5 did away with that in favor of . Perform 5 (including dancing and singing) only took 5 skill points to fulfill. I'd just change it to Perform (Dance) 5 and be done with it.If you're updating it, remove the Perform and Skill Focus requirements completely. The class doesn't use them whatsoever, so why insist on something the class doesn't even use? It's not even a good class, so burning a feat and skill points on extraneous prereqs that aren't even useful in and of themselves is just adding insult to injury. That, or add in some class abilities that actually use Perform rolls for stuff.

Though I do admit, being able to permanently add dancing to up to 10 weapons per day is a nice money generator, if nothing else.

tterreb
2023-12-11, 08:18 AM
4 cleric/2 fighter allows entry at level 7 with plenty of feat slots to get everything you need. The fighter substitution class Darksong Knight fits flavorfully, gets you perform (dance) as a class skill and allows you to feint using perform. You can additionally take drow fighter as you probably won't be wearing heavy armor.
Half-drow and lesser drow allow you to play a drow without having to worry about the +2 LA.

If you really want to enter earlier than 7 you have a few options, depending on how much cheese you like.
A half-drow duskblade with southern magician can enter by 6, but only if you're allowed flaws. If you take precocious apprentice you'll only need 1 level of duskblade, allowing you to dip fighter for the other feats you need. Your spellcasting won't be great, but you'll get your class abilities earlier.
Alternatively you can go full cheese and take magical training + precocious apprentice + southern magician and avoid taking any spellcasting classes at all. This allows for the greatest flexibility in classes, but it's quite feat intensive and requires a DM with a flexible view on regional requirements.

holbita
2023-12-11, 08:57 AM
With flaws and a scroll of divine power you can enter at 6th level... you will not get any benefits from it unless you are using that scroll of divine power... but that's just for 6th level, the moment you level up you'll get everything... and you don't get new spell levels until 7th either way so not much of an issue.

Only problem is perform, but you can get that as a class skill in a few different ways, with flaws it shouldn't be an issue.

ShurikVch
2023-12-11, 11:42 AM
Lesser Drow (Player's Guide to Faerūn); Battledancer 1/Mystic Ranger 4 (Dragon #336); feats via flaws (Elven Pride of Arms? :smallwink:); Sword Dancer should be available at level 6

holbita
2023-12-11, 12:15 PM
Is it worth it though? You want cleric so you can use the ability to cast your domains spontaneously.