PDA

View Full Version : Class abilities counting as feats?

Shinoskay
2023-12-15, 02:55 AM
https://dnd.arkalseif.info/classes/recaster/index.html

do class abilities that work like feats count as the feat for meeting pre requisites?

specifically, I am looking at the component feature that works like eschew as well as still and silent x/day times

Satinavian
2023-12-15, 03:23 AM
No and i don't see why it would work.

Class abilities that give bonus feats provide feats. Class abilities that work like feats don't.

Inevitability
2023-12-15, 03:34 AM
1. I'd remove that link, the site is technically violating copyright law and not allowed by forum rules.

2. To answer your actual question: it's complicated! The typical assumption is that feats are feats and class features are class features, and one does not count as the other unless specifically stated (which is for instance the case in the kobold fighter substitution levels, which grants a bonus that explicitly counts as Weapon Focus).

However... some 3.0 books like Masters of the Wild have a paragraph about 'virtual feats'.

If a character has a class feature or special ability that exactly duplicates the effects of a feat, then he or she can use that “virtual feat” as a prerequisite for other feats, as well as prestige classes, and so forth.

This paragraph is contentious. Some think it doesn't carry over into the 3.5 rules (and it's worth noting that the given example was updated in 3.5 to be a regular bonus feat), while others get hung up about the 'exactly'. For instance, you have a class feature that lets you do everything that Eschew Materials does - but your class feature doesn't 'exactly' match the effects of Eschew Materials; it lets you do other things as well.

In short, show your DM the virtual feats text and ask about their interpretation of its validity and exact rules.