PDA

View Full Version : Can Spell to Power Eruduite copy mysteries from Shadowcaster

Silva Stormrage
2023-12-15, 05:17 PM
So while working on some shadowcasting homebrew (My players ended up blowing up my setting in such a way where a shadowcasting cult is suddenly in a large position of power in service of a Demon Lord/Elder Evil. It's a whole thing, but limiting that faction to just standard shadowcasters was boring XD) I randomly had this question.

For those of you not familiar with the pretty poorly thought out but flavorful subsystem of shadowcasting. Shadowcasters can cast "Mysteries" instead of spells that function mostly the same way. However, mysteries advance as you gain in power. When you are 1st level your 1st level mysteries explicitly function like arcane spells except a few differences (Can't be affected by metamagic, etc). Once you get 4th level mysteries your 1st level mysteries become SLA's and when you get 7th level mysteries they become supernatural abilities.

However, they are explicitly arcane spells when they are your highest grade of mysteries you can cast. The STP Erudite ACF just says this:

Your training has included basic magical theory as well as the usual psionic training.

Replaces: You lose your 1st-level bonus feat.

Benefit: You add Spellcraft to your class skill list, which allows you to attempt to convert an arcane spell into a power you can add to your repertoire. You treat the spell as a discipline power for the basis of learning it, and you must first succeed on a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + the spell's level) and then a Psicraft check as per the normal rules of learning a discipline power (see page 154 of Complete Psionic).

Each spell costs a certain number of power points to manifest. The higher the level of the spell, the more power points it costs. The table below describes each spell's cost.

Which just says they can copy any arcane spell. I think the RAW is petty solid on this one but not sure about RAI so I figured I would ask you guys your opinion. The question of whether or not there are any good mysteries to copy is another discussion entirely but there are some decent ones even if most wouldn't be worth it. Quicker than eye is quite a substantial skill buff, Bolster stacks with psionic vigor and is much cheaper PP wise, etc.

Tzardok
2023-12-16, 04:38 AM
I would argue against this. Shadowmagic is supposed to be sufficiently different from normal magic that they have difficulties affecting each other. On page 138 in ToM, it says for example that dispelling spells and mysteries take penalties when trying to dispell the respective other. Depending on what your world's stance on psionic-magic-transparency this could mean that powers have an easier time affecting spells than mysteries do. (One should probably think about what happens when a mystery tries to affect a power.)
In short, I don't think a StP erudite should be able to copy mysteries, at least not easily. Maybe make it a feat or at least increase the DC of the skill check.

Chronos
2023-12-16, 08:04 AM
The mechanics of (some, depending on level) mysteries are similar to arcane spells (though still not identical), but the fluff is explicitly very different. I wouldn't allow it. That said, there probably is thematic space for a very simple homebrew "mysteries to powers" erudite, if that's what you want, who can learn mysteries as powers but not actual spells.

Of course, as with any context where the X-to-power erudite shows up, I would strongly suggest a houserule/patch that erudites can't confer their power knowledge on anyone else via psychic surgery. That way lies the Tippypsion, who knows all powers and spells from all lists, and can use them all spontaneously.

loky1109
2023-12-16, 08:10 AM
In short, I don't think a StP erudite should be able to copy mysteries, at least not easily. Maybe make it a feat or at least increase the DC of the skill check.

I don't think being StP Erudite is easy. )))
But... It could be another ACF: "Mystery to Power" if you think it's too powerful.

Ashtagon
2023-12-16, 10:47 AM
Is there anything, in RAW, that says erudites can't simply research new powers from whole cloth the same way that a wizard can create entirely new spells? If not, there doesn't seem to be much that stops an erudite from simply making a spell that functionally duplicates a shadowcaster mystery.

RandomPeasant
2023-12-16, 04:27 PM
Is there anything, in RAW, that says erudites can't simply research new powers from whole cloth the same way that a wizard can create entirely new spells? If not, there doesn't seem to be much that stops an erudite from simply making a spell that functionally duplicates a shadowcaster mystery.

Spell research is generally understood to be DM-adjudicated. It's true that there's nothing that explicitly stops you from making a power version of whatever Mystery you happen to like, but by the same token there's nothing that explicitly stops a Wizard from researching Wizard versions of divine spells or psionic powers. Hell, nothing says your researched spell can't be "wish, but 1st level". It's just that nothing says it can be that, so people assume a restrictive reading for the sake of sanity.

Silva Stormrage
2023-12-16, 09:50 PM
Huh interesting a near unanimous rejection. Fair enough then. A feat or a separate ACF would work if I wanted to go in that direction.