View Full Version : Recruiting Let's Try: Candella Obscurra

GreenDragonPage
2023-12-16, 02:52 AM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2f/Candela_Obscura_title_card.jpg

ENTER A GILDED
WORLD OF
TERRIFYING
MAGICK.

In this tabletop roleplaying game, join Candela Obscura, a paranormal secret society charged with protecting the Fairelands, and it's sprawling turn-of-the-century capital known as Newfaire from supernatural incursions. Occult mysteries emerge in this metropolis, built atop the ruins of an ancient fallen civilization still teeming with the remnants of powerful magick.

I just picked up my copy of CANDELLA OBSCURA and was looking to give it a whirl. I will happily serve as the group's Game Master. I was hoping there were others who were interested in joining me in trying out this cool new game!

I was hoping we could build characters and the group's circle together in an OOC. This recruitment thread exists to gauge interest and assembled 4 to 6 players who want to explore the Fairelands together. If you do not have access to the rules, Critical Role put out a video that explained the basics (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3esbC29bE).

Ameraaaaaa
2023-12-16, 08:51 AM
Well i might like to play as a scholar or weird. Especially the former. Before we continue can you share more about the setting so i know whether I'd like to join.

Ricka Draws
2023-12-16, 04:08 PM
Haven't read the book yet, so tentatively interested

The premise sounds cool

GreenDragonPage
2023-12-17, 01:57 PM
Well i might like to play as a scholar or weird. Especially the former. Before we continue can you share more about the setting so i know whether I'd like to join.

"The city of Newfaire is built on the ruins of an older city called Oldfaire that had advanced knowledge of magick and technology. "The Flare" is the boundary between Newfaire and another realm inhabited by strange and often dangerous creatures. "Bleed" is a reality-distorting residue that is left behind when something crosses the Flare. Candela Obscura is an organisation that investigates these incursions from beyond the Flare, made up of small groups called Circles that answer to a Lightkeeper that gives them their assignments and is at least sometimes a former Circle operative. The members of a Circle are frequently people who have had some encounter with the incursions from this other realm."

The setting itself is very turn of the century, with electric trams and subways just arriving into the city.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/criticalrole/images/7/70/Newfaire_-_Marc_Moureau.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/1000?cb=20231101232139

Infernally Clay
2023-12-17, 02:19 PM
Hmm... I looked at the pregens and one of them is an explorer who can recount past experiences to recover a Nerve for the group. I really like that specific aspect, because it allows you to come up with past adventures and even refer to stuff that happened earlier in the campaign to encourage the party in dangerous situations. I could have a lot of fun with that.

I'd love to know more about what explorers can do, because I think I'd enjoy like playing a former Lightkeeper who has gone back to the front line, so to speak, because they're a bit bored leaving it up to others. Indeed the map mentions a lighthouse at Seasway, so a lighthouse keeper who was once a Lightkeeper and wants to go back to being a light in the darkness... It flows very nicely.

GreenDragonPage
2023-12-18, 12:52 PM
I sent you some info, InfernallyClay! :)

Infernally Clay
2023-12-18, 01:00 PM
Yeah, sorry about that. I already got warned once for double posting I don't want to get banned or something. :P

So a Muscle Explorer it is. Lighthouse keeper with a storied past who became a Lightkeeper but found the whole thing rather boring so she became an operative again instead. She'd be in her 50s but damn if she doesn't look like she can still snap a bear in half like a twig... and if you believe the stories they tell about her she probably has in the past.

GreenDragonPage
2023-12-18, 01:20 PM
Yeah, sorry about that. I already got warned once for double posting I don't want to get banned or something. :P

So a Muscle Explorer it is. Lighthouse keeper with a storied past who became a Lightkeeper but found the whole thing rather boring so she became an operative again instead. She'd be in her 50s but damn if she doesn't look like she can still snap a bear in half like a twig... and if you believe the stories they tell about her she probably has in the past.

Very cool premise, I love it! :smallbiggrin:

Kvard51
2023-12-18, 04:27 PM
Very interested. Let me check out the material and I will get an idea in the mill.

I'd suggest a Discord for OOC if you want to do the creation as you said above.

Ameraaaaaa
2023-12-19, 03:50 AM
The game sounds fine but i can't muster up the motivation for it.

GreenDragonPage
2023-12-20, 11:23 AM
We have 3 interested party members. I was hoping to get to 4. Anyone else interested? :smallsmile: