PDA

View Full Version : Sad News for Terry Pratchett

One Skunk Todd
2007-12-12, 09:36 AM
http://www.paulkidby.com/news/index.html

:frown:

Ryshan Ynrith
2007-12-12, 09:52 AM
This is most disheartening...Terry Pratchett is my favorite author, and that is not a distinction I give away easily. :smallfrown:

GolemsVoice
2007-12-12, 12:21 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOO! NOOO NOOO NOOO! NO!
Uff, now that that's over, I really hope he gets better some time, if this is possible considering his diesease. But, as he said, he is certainly not dead yet, and let's all say: "Dum spiro, spero"

Glawackus
2007-12-12, 12:27 PM

Pratchett is the (organ I probably can't say without getting banned). Funniest writer I've ever read, and maybe even my all-time favorites. It's really, really sad to hear this.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-12-12, 12:56 PM
PS I would just like to draw attention to everyone reading the above that this should be interpreted as 'I am not dead'. I will, of course, be dead at some future point, as will everybody else.
I love this guy.

Terribly saddening news, as not only is he an utter genius, he's one of the few readable fantasy authors out there. I hope that this is one of those fluke cases that can be resolved, but regardless, my heart goes out to him, his family, and his friends.

CurlyKitGirl
2007-12-12, 01:08 PM
Oh Gods. Pratchett is my favourite authour and a rare genius; if it really can't be halted or stopped Discworld will end end the world will lose a real treasure.

My heart goes out to him and his family. Let's hope this is a curable one.

Dervag
2007-12-12, 01:10 PM
May medical science advance more rapidly than his condition.

Also, I hope he eats lots and lots of curry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curcumin). I don't know how much it will help, but anything is better than nothing.

Jibar
2007-12-12, 01:11 PM
Oh dear no.
Now J.K. Rowling is going to sweep in and usurp his rule as greatest living British author.
I'm sure he would be appalled.

As sad as this is, I can't help but think this is in the future. When his final days draw upon him, that's when I'll feel sad. Right now, as his announcement clearly states, he's still alive and just as funny as ever.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-12-12, 01:20 PM
I don't think I've suffered so much disappointment and heartbreak more in the past hour than I have the rest of my life.:frown:

Kaelaroth
2007-12-12, 01:21 PM
Oh the poor man. :smallfrown:

I hope he and his family get through this with good grace - if you can get through this kind of thing. :smallconfused:

His wonderful books and trademark wit will be sorely missed. :smalleek:

Dervag
2007-12-12, 01:22 PM
*sniff*

It was too good to last another twenty books...

*sniff*

Stijl
2007-12-12, 01:27 PM
This news brought to you by the department of "This Sucks"...

Tom_Violence
2007-12-12, 01:33 PM
An embuggerance indeed.

Still, if he can take it well, the least everyone else can do is show him the same level of courtesy. I dare say the last thing anyone wants when making an announcement like that is to have the entire word wailing and throwing their arms up and making a massive song and dance about the whole thing.

"The sky is falling! A great light has gone out! Etc.!" The world is not ending. No one has even died. Rather, a great author has been diagnosed with a condition that, for want of a better word, can be described as 'nasty'. Alzheimer's is a very unfriendly condition, for both the suffer and their family. Pratchett is without a doubt my favourite author, but he deserves our respect, not our hysteria.

Skippy
2007-12-12, 01:36 PM
I haven't read enough of his job to actually say anything, but it is always sad when a good writer suffers. My best wishes to him, let's hope it can be cured.

ArlEammon
2007-12-12, 02:02 PM
I don't read Pratchett, but still. Alzheimer's is one of the worst diseases that have existed. Its terrible that anyone have that sickness.

2007-12-12, 02:17 PM
Man, I hope it dosn't get him soon, and I hope when he does get it bad he dies quickly. I'd hate to have Alzheimers. I've told my friends and family that if I ever get it, for them to shoot me.

Kitya
2007-12-12, 02:51 PM
If they have caught this early enough, and it seems they have, there has been huge breakthroughs in medical research and prescriptions for Alzheimer's to slow it's progress. yes eventually it will take over, but, with the correct medications, and other help that is out there, he will still be his funny and witty self for many years to come.

Lord Herman
2007-12-12, 04:49 PM

I hope they'll be able to fix him. Pratchett is my favourite writer, and from what I hear, a wonderful human being.

Also, I hope he eats lots and lots of curry. I don't know how much it will help, but anything is better than nothing.

Wow-wow sauce should do the trick. Or it'll make his head explode.

Wizzardman
2007-12-12, 05:40 PM
...Poor Terry Pratchett.

In all honesty, there's no cure for Alzheimer's at the moment, and there probably won't be one for a long time.

Fortunately, a lot of strenuous mental activity (such as writing books) can help to hold back the effects of Alzheimers. With any luck, he should remain relatively stable for a long period of time.

Edit:

If they have caught this early enough, and it seems they have, there has been huge breakthroughs in medical research and prescriptions for Alzheimer's to slow it's progress. yes eventually it will take over, but, with the correct medications, and other help that is out there, he will still be his funny and witty self for many years to come.

I hadn't heard about the recent medical advancements. Cool. Excellent.

We should send him an E-Card or something. As a community.

2007-12-12, 05:51 PM
We should send him an E-Card or something. As a community.

Unless we're experimental brain-chemists, I don't think he's appreciate it much.

Sleet
2007-12-12, 05:53 PM
Dang. That's a rough diagnosis. Hope he fights it like hell.

Also, I hope he eats lots and lots of curry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curcumin).

Well, that's just a good idea anyway. I mean, it's curry. There's no downside. :smallwink:

Mr. Mud
2007-12-12, 07:53 PM
Mr. Pratchett is as tough as they come, and I think he can pull through. :smallfrown:

On the Ecard thing...

Meh, none of us are brain-sugrgeons here, (Atleast I think :smalleek: ) but the Ecard is a fairly good idea... if anything is happening with an Ecard, sign me up.

Vella_Malachite
2007-12-12, 07:57 PM
Awwww!!:smallfrown:

I guess the books had to stop sometime. As brilliant as they have been so far, well, ideas run out. Even for Terry Pratchett. And, well, he wasn't going to live forever. He has so many books out already that it's hard to get bored with all of them.

:'(

bosssmiley
2007-12-12, 08:16 PM
Oh dear no.
Now J.K. Rowling is going to sweep in and usurp his rule as greatest living British author.
I'm sure he would be appalled.

Hah! Hell will freeze over and the Heavens themselves fall first! The earth itself would swallow her before it allowed that abomination to come to pass. That woman isn't fit to clean his pens. :smallamused:

I don't pray (thanks to him I think of it in terms of 'buttering up thunderstorms' normally), but for TP I'll happily make an exception. Heck, can anyone name me the premiere British Alzheimer's charity please?

Terry's one of the all time great comic talents, and far too cool a guy to suffer like this. My best wishes to him and his family.

The 12 year old kid who picked up "Strata" and "Colour of Magic" in me says: Dammit. I don't ever want to be a Pratchett completist. :smallfrown:

v-- glad one of us is keeping her sense of humour about it. :smallwink:

Serpentine
2007-12-12, 08:18 PM
Still, if he can take it well, the least everyone else can do is show him the same level of courtesy. I dare say the last thing anyone wants when making an announcement like that is to have the entire word wailing and throwing their arms up and making a massive song and dance about the whole thing. A waily waily waily! Ooooo, it's the pursin' of th' lips! Ooooh the crossin' of th' arms! Oh a waily waily wai- what?

Sneak
2007-12-12, 09:03 PM
:(

Just found out about this today. This is very sad news for the world.

Not only is he one of my favorite authors, but he is a brilliant and fantastic person.
:smallfrown:

But he seems to be making the best of it. Pratchett's not the type to be taken down easily. :smallwink: If he's says he's still got some more books left in him, I believe him.

DraPrime
2007-12-12, 09:04 PM
This just hurts.

Dervag
2007-12-12, 10:48 PM
Oh dear no.
I'm sure he would be appalled.No. Rowling cannot acquire the title of "greatest author" in any set that ever has or ever will contain Pratchett, regardless of whether or not Pratchett is currently a member of the set. The disparity is that great.

I know it doesn't make any sense. I don't care.

Wow-wow sauce should do the trick. Or it'll make his head explode.Well, kill or cure is actually not such a bad idea when the thing to be cured is senile dementia.

...Poor Terry Pratchett.

In all honesty, there's no cure for Alzheimer's at the moment, and there probably won't be one for a long time.

Fortunately, a lot of strenuous mental activity (such as writing books) can help to hold back the effects of Alzheimers. With any luck, he should remain relatively stable for a long period of time.So you mean to say that the best thing he can do to improve the duration of his working life is to continue working?

I find that considerably reassuring.

mikeejimbo
2007-12-12, 11:18 PM
I said three words. Two were curses.

I really need to get around to reading the rest of the novels. lol, my mother is way ahead of me in that.

Icewalker
2007-12-12, 11:52 PM
Well, the response to this has only furthered the idea that, after serious prompting from friends, I need to go ahead and read every book ever written by Terry Pratchett. I have read two, neither of which are part of overarching plots (The Wee Free Men, and The Amazing Maurice).

Belteshazzar
2007-12-12, 11:53 PM
Do Not Want!!!!

On a more serious note at least it isn't cancer. I mean too many greats are lost to cancer these days and chemo or rad treatment sucks. Well now I feel more inspiration to get that biology and biotech degree.

Squidmaster
2007-12-13, 12:08 AM
This is awful:smallfrown:

I only read a couple of his books, but I really enjoyed them. They will always make me laugh. I want to read the rest, but I have trouble finding the time. Even so, any recommendations.

osyluth
2007-12-13, 12:26 AM

If he is going to completely lose all memory soon, then he'll probably want to spend his last sane time with family and friends, not writing. Just a thought.

But I agree. This is horrible. :frown:

dehro
2007-12-13, 02:01 AM
I said three words. Two were curses.

I really need to get around to reading the rest of the novels. lol, my mother is way ahead of me in that.

apparently you will be able to catch up earlier than expected..

A waily waily waily! Ooooo, it's the pursin' of th' lips! Ooooh the crossin' of th' arms! Oh a waily waily wai- what?

hahahaha (http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=HttF5HVYtlQ) hilarious

I don't read Pratchett, but still. Alzheimer's is one of the worst diseases that have existed. Its terrible that anyone have that sickness.

REPENT!!!

seriously, folks....he really is not dead, and he'll probably manage to deliver several more books before his proverbial wits start betraying him. I'm very sad for him, his loved ones and for myself because I'd love to read new books written by him every year for the rest of my life, but that wasn't going to happen anyway.

as for the Rowling idea... she'd have to write another thirty best sellers and start with learning how to write them properly, before anyone could ever put her in the same league of Pratchett

Lord Iames Osari
2007-12-13, 02:55 AM
Well, the response to this has only furthered the idea that, after serious prompting from friends, I need to go ahead and read every book ever written by Terry Pratchett. I have read two, neither of which are part of overarching plots (The Wee Free Men, and The Amazing Maurice).

Actually, The Wee Free Men is part of an overarching plot. The next book in the arc is called A Hat Full of Sky, followed by Wintersmith. There may be another planned, but I can't recall.

Eerie
2007-12-13, 03:19 AM
This is very sad.

However, shocking as it is, it may have a positive impact on Pratchett`s writing. He may wish to actually formally finish the series now with some big bang, rather then continuing it on and on until it would be cut off suddenly with his unexpected death.

And if he will beat the illness after all, he can always claim it was a joke...

banjo1985
2007-12-13, 03:44 AM
Sad news for the writing world in general, but most of all for Mr Pratchett himself. I don't know whetehr any type of Alzhiemers can be cured, but let's at least hope it's one where there are drugs that can help him as the condition gets worse.

The statement he put out was quite outstanding...remember everyone...he's not dead yet. And we should all be happy for that at least :smallsmile:

Mordokai
2007-12-13, 05:02 AM
I've been meaning to get around and start reading his books a long time, but just never managed it. I'll have to fix that somewher in future.

But seriously people. While Alzheimer has bad prognosis(long time since I read anything about it, so it may have actualy became better since) it usually doesn't help patient if everybody arounds him feels sorry for him. I know it doesn't help me, and Pratchett doesn't look like kind of guy who would want everybody else to feel sorry for him either. An E card with best of wishes would be a good idea, but if everybody tells him how sorry they are for him... well, the psyche works wonders, and him thinking how bad it may be won't help him.

Better stop my rambling before I say something stupid. I wish him well. A patient with Alzheimer can still lead a good and productive life, and Terry looks like a guy who will do just that.

Seraph
2007-12-13, 08:43 AM
If anything else, the best thing we could do is start a donation for some lab that is working on Alzheimer's treatments.

Nebo_
2007-12-13, 08:55 AM
Well, ****.

2007-12-13, 01:08 PM
Actually, The Wee Free Men is part of an overarching plot. The next book in the arc is called A Hat Full of Sky, followed by Wintersmith. There may be another planned, but I can't recall.

I Shall Wear Midnight is the next Tiffany Aching book.

Kitya
2007-12-13, 02:20 PM
...Poor Terry Pratchett.

I hadn't heard about the recent medical advancements. Cool. Excellent.

*nodding* My grandfather has dementia, so I've been kind of paying attention to things about this. There's some medication out now that is supposed to help slow the disease. Not cure, but slow it down. The best part is, it doesn't seem to matter what stage it's in... early or fullblown.. it helps at every stage.

reorith
2007-12-13, 03:26 PM
{Scrubbed}

The Vanishing Hitchhiker
2007-12-14, 01:02 AM
:smallconfused: Um. You how you hear stories, of people who think of somebody and wonder, "Gee, I wonder if they're still alive?", only to find out later that the person they were thinking of has just died? I think the universe has just pulled this on me, but on a smaller scale. See, I came up with the idea of the Antipratchett a few days ago, who would be recognized by the mark of the ankh on the anorak they wore, and... So, um, yeah. My bad.

Anyway, hang in there Mr. Pratchett. Keep on keepin' on and all that.

Dervag
2007-12-14, 01:49 AM
Sad news for the writing world in general, but most of all for Mr Pratchett himself. I don't know whetehr any type of Alzhiemers can be cured, but let's at least hope it's one where there are drugs that can help him as the condition gets worse. Some cases appear to be misdiagnoses, or cases that go into spontaneous remission, or something like that.

*nodding* My grandfather has dementia, so I've been kind of paying attention to things about this. There's some medication out now that is supposed to help slow the disease. Not cure, but slow it down. The best part is, it doesn't seem to matter what stage it's in... early or fullblown.. it helps at every stage.And there's always curry.

{Scrubbed}GRAAAH! DERVAG SMASH!

Nebo_
2007-12-14, 08:03 PM
{Scrubbed}

I'm trying to think of a nice way to say you're a horrible person, but I can't. You're a horrible person. I'm going to assume it was a joke, but he's still a person and wishing death on someone is just low, especially one of the best authors that the world has ever seen.

dehro
2007-12-15, 02:06 PM
{Scrubbed}

that was either very funny, or very wrong...possibly both..

Mr. Mud
2007-12-15, 04:17 PM
To, reorith...

All I can say is:

:furious: