PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Segmented Weapons revised

liquidformat
2023-12-17, 09:00 PM
So I have been looking at weapons recently and it strikes me that D&D flails, nunchaku and other segmented weapons niche in D&D kind of sucks and isn't really representative of what makes them powerful in the real world. So I have been milling over how to change them to make them a bit more interesting and desirable.

In the real world they are useful because they are hard to predict where they are going and hard to defend against. Since they move in arcs they can more easily get around corners and shields than other weapons.

Given that I have been thinking of a couple possible changes:

Flail remove bonuses to disarm and trip, instead ignore shield bonus to AC of opponent.

Heavy Flail remove bonuses to disarm and instead ignore shield bonus to AC of opponent.

Nunchaku keeps bonus to disarm and ignore shield bonus to AC of opponent.

The other thoughts I had was giving them a bonus either to attack or damage against flat footed opponents or during AoO, the crazy OP version would be using them as touch weapons instead of normal attacks. Maybe adding in some feat chains that would end up doing these might be interesting, and with the nunchaku maybe allowing extra attacks by going down a feat chain.

Anyways what do you think, let me know.

PoeticallyPsyco
2023-12-18, 02:59 AM
Instead of completely ignoring the Shield bonus, maybe have them ignore up to +2 (or maybe +4) from shield and cover bonuses? Ignoring the shield entirely is much stronger than the other weapon bonuses, with the exception of Lance's double damage when charging.