PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Stats for Fire Lizards?

Palanan
2023-12-17, 10:17 PM
Are there stats for something approximating fire lizards (from the Pern novels) anywhere in first-party Pathfinder material?

I vaguely recall some sort of pigeon-sized draconic creatures which plagued cities with their flocks, but that might have been 3.5. Is there anything in Pathfinder that’s a close match for the fire lizards of Pern?

Beni-Kujaku
2023-12-17, 10:54 PM
If you want specifically something that isn't a true dragon‚ then a pseudodragon should be good‚ but otherwise is there a reason why simply a Brass dragon wyrmling statblock does not fit? Tiny size‚ flight‚ human-like intelligence and fire breath. Is there something else you're looking for?

Palanan
2023-12-17, 11:14 PM
I thought of a wyrmling dragon, but they’re too tough, too dangerous and too magical to really fit. Nearly 60 hp, +6 natural to AC, and a breath weapon that can instantly kill most ordinary people. I could try shaving it down, but I’d essentially be homebrewing a fire lizard, and for now I’d rather find something that’s ready to go.

Pseudodragon is a good option, but I’m open to others as well.

aglondier
2023-12-31, 11:23 PM
If an actual wyrmling statblock it too tough, then try using a cat, and give it fly and a breathweapon. Also blink like a blinkdog. That should cover you statwise.

Aegis013
2024-01-05, 01:20 PM
Maybe the pyrausta? It's a CR 1/4 miniscule dragon and might fit your need. Available on the PFSRD.

the_david
2024-01-06, 11:25 AM
I vaguely recall some sort of pigeon-sized draconic creatures which plagued cities with their flocks, but that might have been 3.5. Is there anything in Pathfinder that’s a close match for the fire lizards of Pern?Pseudodragons! They live in Korvosa and fight with the flocks of Imps that also live there. Their CR is 1. They have sleep sting instead of breath weapon, but they do have telepathy.

Pyrausta is a tiny dragon that has a breath weapon and a CR of 1/4.

I'm not exactly sure what a fire lizard is though, so can you tell me what they should be able to do, and which CR you're looking for? Maybe I can whip something up with the unchained rules.

aglondier
2024-01-06, 07:06 PM
Pseudodragons! They live in Korvosa and fight with the flocks of Imps that also live there. Their CR is 1. They have sleep sting instead of breath weapon, but they do have telepathy.

Pyrausta is a tiny dragon that has a breath weapon and a CR of 1/4.

I'm not exactly sure what a fire lizard is though, so can you tell me what they should be able to do, and which CR you're looking for? Maybe I can whip something up with the unchained rules.

Classic cute shoulder dragon, can fly, breathe fire, and teleport at will. Definitely animal intelligence, but able to link telepathically to anyone they bonded to at hatching...

Elkad
2024-01-17, 07:31 PM
As others have said, make your own
Spitballing here...

Pernese Fire Lizard
Tiny Magical Beast.
HD ˝ d10 (3hp)
Move:15' Swim:15' Fly:60' (perfect)
Str:5, Dex:17, Con:13, Int:7, Wis:9, Cha:13

No natural armor (Pern dragons have soft hides).

Breath Weapon (Fire). Choice of 5' cone (1d4, reflex half, Con-based DC:11) or 5' jet (1d4, touch attack at +4). Usable every 1d4 rounds. (Skip the firestone requirement)

Cold Resist: 5

Melee: Bite 1d3-3, 2xClaw 1d2-3

At-will Fire Lizard Teleport (self and no more than a medium load). "Very Familiar" or visible locations have no chance of error, else roll mishap check as normal Teleport.
Special ability: Multiple Fire Lizards can share a load and teleport with it. (Menolly's clutch demonstrates this moving the map collection)

Special ability: Teleporting Immediate Evasion. Once per round, if not denied Dexterity bonus or carrying more than a Light load, a Fire Dragon may Teleport up to 30' as an Immediate Action.

You could also use Improved Blink (as Blink Dog) here, treating Between as a modified Ethereal Plane that is Extreme Cold every time you Blink. Each round make a DC15+1 Fort save per successive round of exposure, dealing 1d6 non-lethal cold damage on a failed save. Ending the Blink Effect while Between (or otherwise being stranded there) deals 1d6 cold damage per full round of exposure, no saving throw. (In the books Between is an alternate dimension, and we have multiple examples of the effects of long exposure, including death.)

Can bond as a familiar with any sentient being (Int3 or greater) giving the standard benefits of Alertness, Empathic Link, and Share Spells (of course if the Bonded person isn't a caster, they have no spells to share).

Rumors of Greater Fire Lizards exist, more intelligent, telepathic, and up to Gargantuan Size.