PDA

View Full Version : PF2e Abomination Vaults

Thunder999
2023-12-18, 05:09 PM
OOC for game.

IC (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?663050-PF2e-Abomination-Vaults-IC&p=25929297#post25929297)

new Recruitment thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?665910-Pathfinder-2e-Abomination-Vaults-rerecruiting&p=25985774#post25985774)

Now with a Dice Thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?663509-PF2e-Abomination-Vaults-Dice-Rolls&p=25939306)
Will add new information as needed

Free Archetype, Gradual Ability Boosts, and Ancestry Paragon are being used.

Player
Character
Race
Class

Infernally Clay
Sachiko (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2862720)
Kitsune
Thief Rogue

BobtheWizard
Lera (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2862990)
Human Corpse
Water Earth Kineticist

Casual Viking
Khalandel (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2834403)
Elf
Thaumaturge

Xhirli
Firtina (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2863285)
Aasimar
Cleric

Esprit15
Laila (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2874410)
Human
Swashbuckler

House Rules:

Roiling Mudslide is a 30ft cone rather than an undefined area that really should have been caught by someone.

Magic Immunity on golems, will-o-wisps etc. is now Resistance equal to the creature's level to Spells (which impulses count as for defensive abilities) like the Brass Bastion (the only example we have of what's replacing golems in new books) has.

Infernally Clay
2023-12-18, 05:27 PM
https://i.ibb.co/MBVT0Yg/F54993b2591966a5dbe55ea10a9560ac-2.jpg
Sachiko Kaminaga (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2862720)
Kitsune Thief Rogue
AC: 18 | HP: 16/16
Fortitude: +3 | Reflex: +9 | Will: +6 | Perception: +6
Hero Points: 1/1
Active Effects: None
Conditions: None

I went with the Bibliophile background, so Sachi has always been known as a troublemaker who is too charming for her own good. She is sly and mischievous and knows how to get around people, so in her youth she tended to get away with a lot more than she should. One person in particular, however, Morlibint the proprietor of the Odd Stories bookshop, always seems to be able to see through whatever ruse or lie Sachi is engaged in and it is thanks to him that she grew up with a love of stories. He would tell her grand tales of heroes and nobles, trying to nudge her on the path of righteousness, but Sachi had a particular fondness for the dashing rogues who stole from the undeserving and gave to those who needed most. Her favourite story was of a dreadful pirate who kidnapped a princess and threw a kingdom into chaos, only to reveal he was a childhood friend who had saved her from a marriage she would have hated.

Bobthewizard
2023-12-18, 05:47 PM
https://i.imgur.com/0dqQnpV.jpg
Lera Trask (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2862990)
Human Kineticist
AC: 18 | HP: 20/20
Fortitude: +9 | Reflex: +6 | Will: +4 | Perception: +4
Hero Points: 1/1
Active Effects: Armor in Earth
Conditions: None

Lera walks into the tavern with the others, a trail of mud following her like it always does. She never seems to dry off. She lets the others go first, being much more confident in swamps and dungeons than she is in taverns. Once the others have ordered their drinks, she looks at all of the people nursing their wounds and bandaging each other up. "Let's see if we can find what did this."

Just putting some random dialogue and descriptions in.

She will be mostly control and some AOE damage, both fairly close range for now. I'll have some healing, too. When we get to level 5, she'll have an aura that makes enemies off-guard (the new term for flat-footed) and forces a balance action to move.

Lera grew up on a farm on the edges of the Fogfen swamp. She spent her childhood swimming through the mud and detritus of the swamp, eventually becoming one with the filthy water. One day, while she was out playing in the water, a great beast of mud rose up and swallowed her. Inside its mouth, she bit its inner cheek as hard as she could and the creature spit her out. She lay on the boggy ground, covered in slime, for several hours. That was enough to infuse the essence of the creature in her. Over the next few years, she developed the ability to create and mold the mud, earth, and water around her. She spent more time in the swamp, and less time around other people.

She knows that there are even more monstrous things out in the swamp known as Fogfen; she's seen these things through the mist, gliding through the murky water and heaving themselves over sodden bits of land. No one in Otari believes her tales of swamp monsters from the depths. She'll just have to prove to them that there are truly monsters out there, and that they were wrong to doubt her.

Zero Prime
2023-12-18, 06:09 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/QxCqDZ91/Khaza-dun-Craghammer.jpg
Khaza'dun, High-helm Exile (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2862728)
AC: 17 | HP: 23 | Current: 23 | Hero Points: 1
Fortitude: +8 | Reflex: +6 | Will: +5 | Perception: +7
Active Effects: None.
Conditions: None.

Khaza'dun is an imposing figure, thick, broad shoulders, a wide, barrel chest, arms heavy with slabs of muscles forged by years at a an dwarven smithy. A flat, square face, with deep set, stormy blue eyes, was framed with iron grey hair, wild and long, two dwarven war braids fell forward, each capped with a rune inscribed, iron forged ring. A wicked, jagged scar, intersects the socket of his left eye, the axe's kiss, runs from temple to jaw, fading into his thick, mustachioed beard, which, like his hair, was bound in braids.

He volunteers some of his time with the Otari Guard, and when armed and equipped for duty he wears a heavy scaled hauberk, pauldrons of forged steel, embossed with dwarven runes of protection, cast in bronze. A thick leather belt, capped and buckled with brass fittings, circles his wide hips, two axes tucked behind the studded buckle, balanced for throwing, should he need to bring an enemy down at range. His battle attire is completed by thick, rough-spun breeches with leather inserts and sturdy, hob-nailed, leather boots, with iron greaves strapped to protect knee and shin. A deep green cloak, trimmed with bear pelt, protects him from the elements, and strapped over his shoulder, by way of a leather and iron baldric, is a massive maul, it's anvil like head made of worked veinstone stone, named for the forest green striations that run through it, bound in steel and iron, attached to a thick, well oiled ironwood haft, bound with well worn, but sturdy leather grips.

Level 2: Dex (14); Intimidating Strike (Fighter), Rogue Dedication (Free Archetype) (Acrobatics; Stealth Training; Skill Feat: Battle Medicine), Steady Balance (Skill Feat)
Level 3: Wis (16); Medicine (Expert); Vengeful Hatred (Orc; Ancestry Paragon); Fleet (General Feat)
Level 4: Con (18); Quick Reversal (Fighter); Basic Trickery: Mobility (Free Archetype); Continual Recovery (Skill Feat)
Level 5: Str (19) Athletics (Expert); Sheltering Slab (Ancestry)
Level 6: Shatter Defenses (Fighter); Sneak Attacker (Free Archetype); Risky Surgery (Skill Feat)
Level 7: Str (20); Athletics (Master); Stonecunning (Ancestry Paragon); Toughness (General Feat)
Level 8: Wis (18); Barbarian Dedication (Fighter); Advanced Trickery: Dread Strike (Free Archetype); Ward Medic (Skill Feat)
Level 9: Int (12); Nature (Trained); Medicine (Master); Mountain's Stoutness (Ancestry)
Level 10: Con (19); Disruptive Stance (Fighter); Intinct Ability: Giant (Free Archetype); Rapid Mantel (Skill Feat)

At 107 years old, Khaza'dun, the dwarven blacksmith, stands as a paragon of patience and craftsmanship. In the bustling logging city of Otari, thick, dwarven hands tirelessly forge his creations, embodying the ethos that anything worth doing is worth doing right. A plodding, patient dwarf with a penchant for precision, Khaza'dun is quick to disapprove of laziness, holding an unwavering belief that one's work ethic reflects their character. Having ventured beyond the confines of his clan, Khaza'dun remains deeply committed to his roots, valuing community and kin above all. Though he relocated to the larger world, he sees his current quest as a means to elevate his standing within the clan. Unyielding in his pursuit of excellence is never , he satisfied with his own work, viewing Otari as a proving ground for his skills. Driven by the conviction that contributing to the community is a sacred duty, he strives to protect and uplift the community he, now, finds himself in, trusting that their collective strength will reciprocate. Khaza'dun's ultimate aspiration is to return to his clan bearing an ancient dwarven relic, a tangible testament to his prowess and a symbol of the age of wonders he seeks to rekindle.

Infernally Clay
2023-12-18, 06:19 PM
An area of effect that makes enemies flat-footed, huh? Well that's convenient since Sachi, as a rogue, likes that a lot. :P

Thunder999
2023-12-18, 06:42 PM
One IC Thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?663050-PF2e-Abomination-Vaults-IC&p=25929297#post25929297)

The AP starts you right outside the first big dungeon.

If you'd prefer we can start in daytime, but I wanted to show off the nightime glow.

Xihirli
2023-12-18, 09:02 PM
Firtina Gok (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2863285)
Aasimar Cleric of Pharasma

Background is that she was taken from her family as a baby when she was born with a halo and raised in the temple of Pharasma. One notable thing that happened was that a dying Fleshwarp crawled to her after escaping from the Darklands. She tried and failed to save it, keeping its heart going manually like you do, but it died anyway because its heart had been moved down to where the solar plexus was. Since then she’s dedicated herself to learning the medicine and anatomy of Fleshwarps so that there’s nothing out there that she can’t save.

I’m buffy healbot with Demoralize as my third action.

Oh and I’ll take Goldenrod

CasualViking
2023-12-19, 01:13 AM
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/frustengrad/images/7/79/Eirzaren.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20190201181424
Khalendel (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2834403)To Khalendel, the 5 years spent in Otari have been an extended grieving period. His only child, Eliana, died of old age like her human mother long ago, leaving Khalendel entirely alone. He has left his groves in Kyonin - works of art in the medium of living trees, grown and tended over decades and decades. Instead, he been wandering, honing the hunting skills of his youth, re-reading his correspondences with old friends, collecting stories and knick-knacks relating to the things that go bump in the night.

Khalendel has lived a peaceful life long enough. Maybe, just maybe, if he had been a more adventurous man, he would not have been standing alone at the grave of his last family member. He has had his first brushes with danger, and is not deterred.
AC: 18| HP: 15/15 | Perception:[/B] +6 (lowlight) | Hero Points: 1/1 | Active Effects: None | Conditions: None

Zero Prime
2023-12-19, 05:41 AM
Mythweaver is having an issue with logging in to sheets, but Viking's IC post got me thinking. I believe, Lera took the Orc Sight feat, so that gives us Darkvision (Khaza & Lera) and Low-light vision (Firt, Khal & Sach) so we likely don't have a light source moving through the Fogfen, since we're in dim light with moon and stars plus the glow from Gauntlight. May need one as we move underground ...

Xihirli
2023-12-19, 07:04 AM
I have one, don't worry.

I call it my GLOWING HALO OF STEALTH!

Thunder999
2023-12-19, 08:53 AM
Perceptions
Khaz [roll0]
Sach [roll1]
Lera [roll2]
Khal [roll3]
Firt [roll4]
Nature
Lera [roll5]
Khal's esoteric [roll6]
Firt [roll7]

@Infernally Clay and Xihirli you forgot to include languages on your sheets.
@BobtheWizard you should be trained in Nature, impossible not to be as a kineticist

Bobthewizard
2023-12-19, 08:58 AM
@BobtheWizard you should be trained in Nature, impossible not to be as a kineticist

I had forgotten to put any of her skills on her sheet. Fixed now.

Infernally Clay
2023-12-19, 11:22 AM
Flubbed the roll in the IC so here it is...

Perception: [roll0]

Xihirli
2023-12-19, 11:55 AM
Perceptions
Khaz [roll0]
Sach [roll1]
Lera [roll2]
Khal [roll3]
Firt [roll4]
Nature
Lera [roll5]
Khal's esoteric [roll6]
Firt [roll7]

@Infernally Clay and Xihirli you forgot to include languages on your sheets.

Ah right, sorry.

Thunder999
2023-12-19, 08:08 PM
Perception is a secret roll, so I've actually already rolled it for everyone, it's why most of you noticed the ropes and planks.
No need to roll stealth either, you just use it for initiative if you're being sneaky.

Anyway, Initiative time (rolling it first so I can get the descriptions right)
Khaza'dun is giving everyone a +1 here. Perception for most of you, but Khalendel and Sachiko use stealth.
I'll roll them all to save time

Party
Khazadun [roll0]
Sachiko [roll1]
Lera [roll2]
Khalendel [roll3]
Firtina [roll4]

Mitflits
M1 [roll5]
M2 [roll6]
M3 [roll7]
M4 [roll8]

Infernally Clay
2023-12-19, 08:38 PM
Oh cool. I'll keep that in mind in future.

Zero Prime
2023-12-19, 09:50 PM
As an FYI if you are flying you can't step, so if that Mitflit lands or moves, he's fubar'd lol

CasualViking
2023-12-20, 01:52 AM
Thanks for rolling initiative, it's usually just a waste of time.

I didn't update before i posted, so i amended my post. Readied shot if necessary: [roll0], [roll1]

Thunder999
2023-12-20, 11:28 AM
They're not flying, they're on the ropes and planks above you, well they were.

Thunder999
2023-12-20, 02:39 PM
Party Initiative (unchanged, same fight just keeping it all in one post)
Khazadun [13]
Sachiko [18]
Lera [19]
Khalendel [14]
Firtina [12]

Slurk [roll0]

Zero Prime
2023-12-20, 11:29 PM
Is there any reason the last Mitflit got away, Khaza was adjacent to it and it was flying, so any movement would have provoked wouldn't it? You can't step while flying ...

Bobthewizard
2023-12-21, 09:04 AM
That's a surprising move for an unarmored cleric, Xhirli. :smallsmile:

Thunder999
2023-12-21, 10:29 AM
Is there any reason the last Mitflit got away, Khaza was adjacent to it and it was flying, so any movement would have provoked wouldn't it? You can't step while flying ...

Like I said, not flying, they have a bunch of planks and ropes rigged to just walk around up there, it simply stepped out of reach, walked outside, dropped the bait, and died to a kineticist blast.

Now one of them did escape, but none of you even managed to see that one.

@Xihirli the square to the south of it is a wall, so noone can flank from due north. You can either move twice (which could get you to the north east ready to flank with someone, or opposite Lera to flank with her) or just choose to do something else with your actions (cast a spell, recall knowledge with nature etc.).
Also you seem to only have one ancestry feat.

Zero Prime
2023-12-21, 04:46 PM
That's fair, I thought you said they were flying 7 ft up, and in melee range, so I assumed they all were. Probably my reading comprehension, no worries!

Xihirli
2023-12-21, 11:39 PM
Like I said, not flying, they have a bunch of planks and ropes rigged to just walk around up there, it simply stepped out of reach, walked outside, dropped the bait, and died to a kineticist blast.

Now one of them did escape, but none of you even managed to see that one.

@Xihirli the square to the south of it is a wall, so noone can flank from due north. You can either move twice (which could get you to the north east ready to flank with someone, or opposite Lera to flank with her) or just choose to do something else with your actions (cast a spell, recall knowledge with nature etc.).
Also you seem to only have one ancestry feat.

I will move twice.

Thunder999
2023-12-24, 10:49 AM
Just in case you were waiting, Khalendel and Sachiko both still need to act and Firtina is I assume going to keep the Shield over the demoralise.

Xihirli
2023-12-24, 11:57 AM
Just in case you were waiting, Khalendel and Sachiko both still need to act and Firtina is I assume going to keep the Shield over the demoralise.

That is correct.

Bobthewizard
2023-12-24, 12:14 PM
That is correct.

I hope there’s not another slurk in the water. If there is, I don’t know if we can save you.

Xihirli
2023-12-24, 12:34 PM
I can’t die.

Zero Prime
2023-12-24, 01:51 PM
I'm seriously confused where we are in turn initiative. A turn count would likely help. Lera appears to have acted twice since the Mitflits, but I've only taken one action (the readied action), so whose turn is it?

CasualViking
2023-12-24, 05:42 PM
Oh sorry, i thought it was the slurk's turn and Khaz was jumping the gun.

*move *Exploit weakness [roll0] *[roll1], [roll2]

Bobthewizard
2023-12-24, 09:29 PM
I'm seriously confused where we are in turn initiative. A turn count would likely help. Lera appears to have acted twice since the Mitflits, but I've only taken one action (the readied action), so whose turn is it?

I think Lera killed the Mitfit, then that combat was over. Then the slurk attacked her and then we were all up.

Zero Prime
2023-12-24, 10:04 PM
But no, because we didn't reroll initiative itherwuse Khaza would have had a chance to move after the mitflit fight, but didn't ... he would have been in the front. If it was a new encounter there would have been new initiative, or then Khaza got missed in between ...

Also a bunch of people have hit the draw bridge but we were told it'd collapse if one medium creature was on it. Just curious if it's collapsed yet?

Thunder999
2023-12-25, 10:39 AM
So first it was just PCs vs Mitflts, then just before the last mitflit died, it brought the Slurk into play by dropping bait into the water, then the mitflit got killed, but the slurk was actually already involved, I jsut waited untilt he next round to add it to initiative.

Here's initiative in order, though I've not been enforcing the order PCs act since that's a hassle in PBP and you can freely delay anyway.
Lera [19]
Sachiko [18]
Slurk [17]
Khalendel [14]
Khazadun [13]
Firtina [12]

All the PCs have acted since the Slurk's last actions so it's back round to its turn next.

EDIT:PC time.
Slurk has take 21 damage, Sachiko is currently dieing 1

Bobthewizard
2023-12-25, 11:39 AM
Forgot to edit the rolls

Weapon infusion Blast, thrown [roll0], [roll1] piercing

Zero Prime
2023-12-25, 11:45 AM
Can we get an updated map? Not sure of people's position relative to the Slurk. Is the water difficult terrain? And did the bridge collapse when multiple people went on it?

Actually, would anyone be adverse to setting up a Discord server so we could co-ordinate communication a little better? This is an adventure that goes to 10th or 11th level, so we'll likely be at it for a few years!

Thunder999
2023-12-25, 01:46 PM
One map
https://i.imgur.com/zaQu9Q8.png

And I made a discord server.
LINK (https://discord.gg/N4caMgPJ)

The bridge would have collapsed actually, not that it matters, just dumps you in the water.

Water is Greater Difficult Terrain as stated earlier, so 15ft of movement per square.

Zero Prime
2023-12-25, 03:48 PM
Thanks that clarifies things. I'll get a post up shortly!

Can't post yet, but assume Khaz Administer's 1st Aid to stop Sachiko from Dying.

1d20+5

Zero Prime
2023-12-25, 08:12 PM
Apparently I can't edit a roll in, so Khaz's First Aid check.
[roll0]

Thunder999
2023-12-25, 09:33 PM
She is stable, but still unconscious.
As combat is over you can use Medicine to Treat Wounds on anyone injured, or Lera can patch people up with Ocean's Balm.
There is no particular time pressure.

Zero Prime
2023-12-25, 10:27 PM
I'm a proponent of using renewable resources for downtime healing, so Treat Wounds and Focus spells, I just don't like using cleric spell slots, since in combat healing is harder to come by.

Infernally Clay
2023-12-26, 07:04 AM
Those were some remarkably good rolls for the slurker. I would've used Nimble Dodge but that oversized frog was getting better rolls the worse its bonus was! :P

Zero Prime
2023-12-26, 08:49 AM
Yeah, but had we hung around the corner forced it to come to us, it would have saved us from the trapped bridge, difficult terrain, ad all of us would have been able to attack it.

The stodgy dwarf is, essentially, team dad. He'll take care of you all, but he wants it done properly. Heh.

Xihirli
2023-12-26, 08:09 PM
I'm a proponent of using renewable resources for downtime healing, so Treat Wounds and Focus spells, I just don't like using cleric spell slots, since in combat healing is harder to come by.

No worries, I’ll leave this to our friend and get Lay on Hands at level 4.

Zero Prime
2023-12-26, 08:15 PM
Khaz will have Battle Medicine at 2nd, and Continual Recovery by 4th, so decent downtime healing. No Lay on Hands, but certainly good.

Thunder999
2023-12-26, 09:23 PM
Khaz will have Battle Medicine at 2nd, and Continual Recovery by 4th, so decent downtime healing. No Lay on Hands, but certainly good.

Battle Medicine is just for combat, out of combat anyone trained or better in medicine can Treat Wounds.

Zero Prime
2023-12-26, 09:27 PM
I know, but Continual Recovery is really good for downtime healing, as you can make six checks an hour, since the cooldown drops to ten minutes.

Thunder999
2023-12-27, 03:46 PM
Could you all pick Exploration Activities (https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=471) please. The various rooms have stuff for when you're searching, investigating etc.

Zero Prime
2023-12-27, 04:10 PM
Khaza will be scouting.

Bobthewizard
2023-12-27, 04:22 PM
I'll investigate as we go. If I can use survival for signs of danger add 4 to this roll.

[roll0]

Infernally Clay
2023-12-27, 05:02 PM
Sachiko will scout.

Zero Prime
2023-12-27, 05:07 PM
As a thief wouldn't you be better to Avoid Notice so you can roll stealth for initiative? Scouting bonuses don't stack and Khaz is already scouting ...

Thunder999
2023-12-27, 05:26 PM
No point having two scouts, you could either avoid notice (stealth for initiaitve) or Search (and get a chance to find hidden doors, traps and the like) to represent checking ahead in another way.

Infernally Clay
2023-12-27, 06:32 PM
I didn't see that Zero Prime had called dibs on scouting, my bad. I was just trying to help the party out. Figured scouting ahead was kinda her thing, being a sneaky rogue an' all, and more useful overall than avoiding notice.

Well, then just have her do whatever. She already almost died once so I guess the party is used to her being a burden.

Bobthewizard
2023-12-27, 06:47 PM
I didn't see that Zero Prime had called dibs on scouting, my bad. I was just trying to help the party out. Figured scouting ahead was kinda her thing, being a sneaky rogue an' all, and more useful overall than avoiding notice.

Well, then just have her do whatever. She already almost died once so I guess the party is used to her being a burden.

I think mechanically, she should be using Search. That's the person that looks for traps and secret doors and is a perception check, which you'll be the best at. Scout is just someone keeping general watch and it doesn't require any skills.

Xihirli
2023-12-27, 06:59 PM
I'll also take the Search action since my wisdom is good.
[roll0] Perception

Thunder999
2023-12-27, 08:38 PM
Scout is more keeping a look out for enemies to warn the party.
Sneaky rogue is probably either search (rouges get the best perception in the game) or just Avoid Notice (so you can use that surprise attack for easy sneak attacks round 1).

Khaza-dun:Scouting (the whole party gets +1 circumstance to whatever they roll for initiative)
Sachiko:Searching (Gets perception checks to see stuff)
Lera:Investigating (gets to recall knowledge about things in the area)
Firtina:Searching (Gets perception checks to see stuff)

Just need Casual Viking to say what Khalandel is doing now.

CasualViking
2023-12-28, 03:00 AM
Avoid notice please

[roll0]

Infernally Clay
2023-12-28, 06:09 AM
Seems like everyone has everything covered so I guess Sachi will just stay out of the way. You don't really need two people searching and she made a mess of things already.

Zero Prime
2023-12-28, 06:27 AM
Avoid Notice helps you though ... let's you roll stealth for initiative.

As for last fight, lots of people charged out rather than play defensive, so the slurk had a target rich environment. Getting critted and dropped in 2e happens **ALOT** especially at low levels. Don't get bothered by it ... hell, Khaza just cannon balled into the moat because I couldn't roll above an 8 on a d20. It happens ...

Bobthewizard
2023-12-28, 08:12 AM
Seems like everyone has everything covered so I guess Sachi will just stay out of the way. You don't really need two people searching and she made a mess of things already.

Avoid notice only helps you +1 for initiative. But having more people Search or Investigate is always good. And you have the best perception, so searching is a good choice. Once you bump Stealth to Expert, you'll probably want to switch to Avoid Notice.

Infernally Clay
2023-12-28, 08:21 AM
Avoid notice only helps you +1 for initiative. But having more people Search or Investigate is always good. And you have the best perception, so searching is a good choice. Once you bump Stealth to Expert, you'll probably want to switch to Avoid Notice.

Funnily enough Khaz and Firtina have better perception scores than Sachi, but why not.

Perception check: [roll0]

…well, that was a thing.

Zero Prime
2023-12-28, 08:40 AM
Folks, just remember Secret checks are rolled by the GM, so just state your bonus and let them figure it out. Otherwise you know if it was a success or failure ...

Thunder999
2023-12-28, 12:21 PM
So

Khaza-dun:Scouting (the whole party gets +1 circumstance to whatever they roll for initiative)
Sachiko:Avoid Notice (Stealth for Initiative, Surprise Attack)
Firtina:Searching (Gets perception checks to see stuff)
Khalandel:Avoid Notice (Stealth for Initiative)

You're level 1, so unusually squishy, and that monster was higher level than you and a little stronger than normal to make up for having 5 players, plus those were insanely good rolls, was really not expecting the 3rd attack to do anything.
Sachiko contributed a decent chunk of damage.
I've put you down as Avoiding Notice since you don't seem to have anything in mind.

Give it a few levels and you'll be able to take hits better, hp scales pretty hard in 2e.

Lera's Nature [roll0]
Firtina's Perception [roll1]

EDIT: Combat time, Sachiko and Khalandel up first, you both start undetected.

CasualViking
2023-12-28, 04:48 PM
additional crit damage [roll0], au revoir #2.

Thunder999
2023-12-28, 10:07 PM
Giant Maggot Attack [roll0] to hit for [roll1] damage
(Here so I know how to describe it.)

Zero Prime
2023-12-28, 10:41 PM
Format error:
Strike 1 [roll0] vs AC
Strike 3 (-10 MAP): [roll1] vs AC

26, 17 & 17 ... Maggot just found out that dwarf meat is as tough as it is stubborn!

Thunder999
2023-12-29, 10:14 AM
We're using Spirit damage, which is fortunate as Alignment damage used your deity's alignment and didn't work for clerics of TN deities like Pharasma.

Khaza'dun's will save vs Bane [roll0]

Mitflit1's Dart [roll]1d20+8[roll] for [roll1]

Mitflit4's sword [roll2] for [roll3]
[roll4] for [roll5]
[roll6] for [roll7]

Thunder999
2023-12-29, 10:15 AM
Oops, messed up a roll. [roll0]

Zero Prime
2023-12-29, 12:28 PM
Had to throw in some banter ... I love mid-combat quips!

Zero Prime
2023-12-29, 05:20 PM
Got a 24 on my DC 15 Treat Wounds check: [roll0]

Thunder999
2023-12-29, 08:41 PM
Do any of you search the wound while waiting for Khaza'dun to heal himself? That's a good 10 minutes after all.

Xihirli
2023-12-30, 05:35 AM
Search the wound?
I don’t think that would occur to Firtina.

Infernally Clay
2023-12-30, 05:58 AM
Do any of you search the wound while waiting for Khaza'dun to heal himself? That's a good 10 minutes after all.

Sachi can check the room out, yeah.

Zero Prime
2023-12-30, 09:08 AM
Search the wound?
I don’t think that would occur to Firtina.

Khaz is a dwarf, he might hide what few coins he has there ...

We all know the dwarven word for gold, right? Mine!

Thunder999
2023-12-30, 04:41 PM
Yeah that was meant to be search the room

[roll0]

Xihirli
2024-01-01, 04:27 AM
I don’t think that image works.

Bobthewizard
2024-01-01, 10:55 AM
They just had the initial [IMG] in the wrong place. I fixed it.

Bobthewizard
2024-01-01, 11:00 AM
I propose a usual marching order of:

Khaz
Sachiko
Firtina
Khal
Lera

This lets Khaz and Sachiko likely be closest to melee, protects Firtina in the middle, and Lera guards the rear.

If we can walk two by two:

Khaz and Sachiko
Firtina
Khal and Lera

Xihirli
2024-01-01, 12:36 PM
Good thoughts, Bob. I'll second.

Zero Prime
2024-01-01, 12:38 PM
Looks good to me. Keeps me close to the rogue, in case she get's herself in trouble. :smallbiggrin:

Thunder999
2024-01-01, 04:02 PM
I'll use that for anywhere two wide then.

How long do you plan to wait?

Zero Prime
2024-01-01, 04:17 PM
Any chance we can determine what is going on on the other side of the door? Does it sound like the fae are being attacked?

Thunder999
2024-01-01, 04:36 PM
The only thing you hear is the squealing and shrieking vocalisation of Mitflits.
Hard to say what's going on from sound alone, but there's nothing that sounds like a drake.

Bobthewizard
2024-01-01, 04:38 PM
Maybe the rogue could take a look then, assuming they have the best combo of stealth and perception.

CasualViking
2024-01-02, 06:22 AM
Let's wait until the screaming stops, or 5 minutes in case it's fun and/or torture going on rather than life-and-death fighting.

Zero Prime
2024-01-02, 07:20 AM
I'll add an exception, if it sounds like screams of help, like a citizen of Otari or something I'm going in ...

Thunder999
2024-01-02, 03:58 PM
Exploration activities
Sachiko:Avoid Notice (Stealth for Initiative, Surprise Attack)
Firtina:Avoid Notice (Stealth for Initiative)
Khalandel:Avoid Notice (Stealth for Initiative)

initiative
Party
Khaza-dun [roll0]
Sachiko [roll1] (stealth)
Lera [roll2]
Firtina [roll3] (stealth)
Khalandel [roll4] (stealth)

Enemies, all using perception
Mitflit1 [roll5]
Mitflit2 [roll6]
Mitflit3 [roll7]
Mitflit4 [roll8]
Mitflit5 [roll9]

Thunder999
2024-01-02, 04:14 PM
[roll0] I keep messing those up, sorry.

Also I'll tell you about the screaming once they're beaten.

Infernally Clay
2024-01-06, 01:30 PM
If nobody has any objections, Sachi will gladly take the rapier. :D

Bobthewizard
2024-01-06, 01:44 PM
That sounds good to me.

@thunder999 I noticed no one is trained in crafting or has repair tools. I think we'll need those in the future to transfer runes. If possible, can I change Lera's medicine to crafting and her healing tools to repair tools, since Khaz looks like they are going to cover medicine?

Infernally Clay
2024-01-06, 03:06 PM
Well I thought it was worth a shot. :P

Thunder999
2024-01-06, 04:02 PM
Initiative time it is then.
All perception, not really anywhere to hide here and Boss Skrawng isn't hiding his intentions

Khaza'dun [roll0]
Sachiko [roll1]
Lera [roll2]
Khalandel [roll3]
Firtina [roll4]

Boss Skrawng [roll5]
Mitflit1 [roll6]
Mitflit2 [roll7]
Bite Bite the giant solifugid [roll8]
A Maggot [roll9]

Infernally Clay
2024-01-06, 04:14 PM
I must admit it's pretty funny we both rolled for deception and we both got a 1. I thought Sachi had a pretty good chance of pulling that off with her +6 modifier but I guess the dice really didn't want her to. D:

Infernally Clay
2024-01-06, 07:11 PM
Okay so the second attack is a crit, so we double the result to... 10 damage, plus [roll0] additional damage because the Shortbow has the Deadly d10 trait.

Damn... 20 damage, plus 6 more from the first attack.

CasualViking
2024-01-07, 12:22 AM
So, round brackets within the roll description breaks the syntax.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Zero Prime
2024-01-07, 08:09 AM
Hero Point Re-roll vs Boss Mit-flit: [roll0], for [roll1]

I hate wasting Hero Points! Ugggh ....

Infernally Clay
2024-01-08, 05:40 AM
Just rollin' the bonus damage from Deadly d8. [roll0]

Zero Prime
2024-01-08, 05:57 PM
AoO on Fleeing Mitflit: [roll0] for [roll1] blunt damage.

Thunder999
2024-01-12, 05:57 PM
Do any of you investigate the rooms you've seen before while waiting on that healing?
To remind you there's the secret room with the magical circle of some sort on the floor and bitten in half frog that only Lera has actually tried to recall knowledge about.
The magic circle might reveal more if someone who knows about occultism or arcana investigates, whereas both Nature (though Lera has already rolled) and arcana might reveal more about the dead frog. Esoteric Lore works with both too.
And which weapon did you end up affixing the Owlbear Claw to?

If noone minds I'll just roll a bunch of d8s and see how long healing took you, not that there's much time pressure here.
[roll0]

After that are you all good with working clockwise from the lower left like Bob suggested?

CasualViking
2024-01-13, 02:50 AM
Thanks for the summary. We are going to circle back and check it out again, then proceed with the suggested plan.

Infernally Clay
2024-01-13, 06:37 AM
Sounds like a plan to me.

Thunder999
2024-01-16, 06:49 PM
Anyone want to do anything or should I move to what happens, you can move in or out of the room etc.

Xihirli
2024-01-17, 12:51 PM
My plan will only work if I roll a 4 or higher on my first Heal.

Xihirli
2024-01-17, 12:52 PM
I believe!
[roll0]
The heart of the spells

Zero Prime
2024-01-18, 04:59 AM
Ok, I just need to say this, I am **very** frustrated by what's going on.

I have been, respectfully, waiting on the Initiative order to post my actions ... I haven't been able to post since the 14th of January while waiting for my turn to roll around:

Initiative order was as follows:
Initiative in order]Firtina (1d20+8)[25]
Khalandel (1d20+6)[22] (stealth)
Lera (1d20+5)[15]
Elite Giant Fly (1d20+10)[14]
Sachiko (1d20+8)[11] (Stealth)
Khaza-dun (1d20+8)[9]

Lera, Flirtina & Khal posted. Ok cool ... Fly dies ... Thunder says we are still in initiative order. 2nd Fly delays actions attacks and kills Khaza, Flirtina uses a reaction and delays Khaza-dun's death. Khaza and Sachiko are up ... I state that I can't post until 6pm on the 17th ... so instead of waiting for me to post my actions ... Lera Flirtina and Khaladel post their Round 2 actions ... so now, narratively, anything I post doesn't matter ... and reading the IC post's is confusing as hell because to get the right order of events you need a road map.

So my question to the group is, does initiative even matter or are we all just going to post whenever we have access to the forums? Because at this point I see no reason to post my actions since you've all advanced the action well beyond Khazadun's actual turns which will invalidate anything I do which I, as a player, find extremely frustrating.

Xihirli
2024-01-18, 07:05 AM
When we’re all together it’s usually best to go as a block than wait for your specific turn, especially in a forum game. If we all wait for our specific turn in combat it tends to take months to finish them.

Infernally Clay
2024-01-18, 07:48 AM
I did specify that Sachi's turn would be delayed until after Khaz's. I simply posted the rolls to keep things moving, because otherwise we could be waiting days for everyone to post their actions for one turn of combat.

Zero Prime
2024-01-18, 08:48 AM
If we're doing block initiative that's news to me, and someone posting out if turn because they might have to wait for days when I literally said I'd be able to post in 4 hours isn't really valid and muddles things entirely...the lack of clarity is frustrating because I waited for days to post then had an opportunity to impact the encounter but because my actions were skipped there's no opportunity to do so. In a fluid combat environment positioning, reactions, etc are what makes a fighter tick. If I am not being allowed to position myself due to other pc's posting out of order I may as well just play a wizard and blast **** when ever I have a chance to post.

Bobthewizard
2024-01-18, 08:53 AM
I've found that waiting to post in initiative order doesn't work very well. Combats take way too long, but we haven't discussed it. In fairness, most games don't.

I recommend one of two options.

1. Everyone who goes between the last DM post and the next enemy posts when they can but actions occur in initiative order, with the DM sorting it out. Communication is key here, but it makes initiative order important.

2. Everyone who goes between the last DM post and the next enemy posts when they can and actions occur in order posted. If you want to go first, let others know OOC.

Zero Prime
2024-01-18, 08:57 AM
That's fair but that needs to be stated so all players are aware ... and it's really unfair to your fellow players to decide to implement it without discussion, or the gm approving. Especially when it was, specifically, a turn by turn game prior ...

I prefer block initiative, but our GM had us posting in turn order, so I was following their directive and now feel frustrated and penalized for doing so.

Bobthewizard
2024-01-18, 09:08 AM
Sorry if we jumped in out of turn. I missed that we were supposed to post in order and assumed Thunder would sort out the order after we posted. I can see how that is frustrating if you were waiting to post in order.

Zero Prime
2024-01-18, 09:15 AM
Its all good, it's worth discussing going forward. I'm pretty sure it's dead at this point so it's moot at this point.

I'll look to see if there's something more appealing than fighter ... relying on reactions that may or may not be triggered isn't great, and reactions work far better around a table than in play by post.

Bobthewizard
2024-01-18, 09:35 AM
I don't think it is dead. Lera and Sachi both missed, Firtina healed you, and Khal rolled 1d20+6 for damage, which I assume is a typo, but I'm not positive. We definitely need your AOO and attacks, and Thunder did say you get an AOO for the fly's retreat.

Thunder999
2024-01-18, 12:08 PM
It's generally a bit easier on PBP to not worry about exact turn order unless someone specifically wants to delay.
I've just been taking actions in posting order because it's easier.

And very much not a dead fly, noone has even hit it.

(Also them triggering the reaction before you try to grab it is advantageous as it wouldn't move if it was grabbed and therefore wouldn't provoke an AoO)

Noone's got to act twice, you moved closer last turn (you mentioned it on discord and it's why Khaza'dun was right next to the fly)

Zero Prime
2024-01-18, 07:53 PM
Doesn't like the Grapple roll in the IC thread: [roll0]

Zero Prime
2024-01-18, 07:56 PM
Aaaand Strike # 2 because the Grapple check sucked. [roll0] for [roll1]

CasualViking
2024-01-20, 03:03 AM
Diplomacy doesn't work intra-party, but still: [roll0]

Thunder999
2024-01-23, 12:42 PM
How far away is their commander?

Infernally Clay
2024-01-23, 06:25 PM
Recall Knowledge (Occult) check: [roll0]

Xihirli
2024-01-25, 07:05 AM
Alright let’s go for that flat check [roll0]

Xihirli
2024-01-29, 04:20 PM
[roll0] do I get in

CasualViking
2024-01-29, 04:37 PM
Athletics attemps [roll0], [roll1][roll2]

Thunder999
2024-02-04, 10:16 PM
Some things I forgot to mention about Otari:
The item level cap is 10 for consumables.
Wrin offers you a 10% discount on: adventuring gear, eclectic bric-a-brac, magic items (non-ammunition consumable items, held items, staves, wands, and worn items.

Xihirli
2024-02-11, 03:46 PM
Medicine
[roll0] + 7

Xihirli
2024-02-11, 03:55 PM
Hero pointing the natural 1. [roll0]

CasualViking
2024-02-21, 03:48 PM
Fixing damage rolls.

AC 17, [roll0]
AC 20, [roll1]
(or more, if it has weaknesses worse than 2)

Infernally Clay
2024-02-21, 08:13 PM
Extra crit damage: [roll0]

CasualViking
2024-02-25, 01:21 AM
Reaction [roll0], [roll1]

Infernally Clay
2024-02-26, 09:53 AM
Occultism: [roll0]

CasualViking
2024-02-26, 09:58 AM
Exploit weakness - is this even a creature? Or a haunt, which would be the same roll. [roll0]

Bobthewizard
2024-03-04, 04:22 PM
Blast attack [roll0]

Xihirli
2024-03-06, 02:55 PM
Rerolled reflex save: [roll0]

Xihirli
2024-03-08, 06:51 AM
I’ll throw in one flat check vs death

[roll0]

CasualViking
2024-03-08, 04:12 PM
Hero point on strike 1 [roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Xihirli
2024-03-10, 01:53 PM
Recovery check [roll0]

Xihirli
2024-03-10, 04:46 PM
Recovery checks PLURAL [roll0]

Thunder999
2024-03-17, 05:08 PM
Party Loots right now
9gp, 8sp, 5cp in cash,
the Soul Focus, 2nd rank scroll of Sound Body, a lesser comprehension elixir, a minor elixir of life, a lesser skeptic’s elixir, a Wolf Fang, a dose of Black Adder Venom, a minor healing potion, a lesser darkvision elixir,

Xihirli
2024-03-18, 08:33 PM
Recall Knowledge! [roll0] Religion

Xihirli
2024-03-18, 08:46 PM
Right, can't edit in rolls. [roll0]; [roll1]