PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Speedy Sling Loading

Duke of Urrel
2023-12-18, 09:27 PM
There is a feat for loading crossbows quickly: the Rapid Reload feat.

But there isn't any feat for loading slings quickly. There seems to be nothing within the rules that you can do to load slings faster. The default seems unavoidable.

Loading a sling is a move action that requires two hands and provokes attacks of opportunity.

Am I wrong about this? Is there some feat, somewhere, that enables a skilled sling wielder to load slings faster? Is there some special use of Sleight of Hand skill that does the trick?

If there are no written rules, has anybody invented a rule?

Darg
2023-12-18, 11:11 PM
There is a feat for loading crossbows quickly: the Rapid Reload feat.

But there isn't any feat for loading slings quickly. There seems to be nothing within the rules that you can do to load slings faster. The default seems unavoidable.

Am I wrong about this? Is there some feat, somewhere, that enables a skilled sling wielder to load slings faster? Is there some special use of Sleight of Hand skill that does the trick?

If there are no written rules, has anybody invented a rule?

Pathfinder has the Juggle Load feat chain that lets you do it.

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-12-18, 11:56 PM
The +1 Aptitude property would allow you to use any quick-load feat to load a sling faster.

Zarvistic
2023-12-19, 03:46 AM
There is the adaptation for Bloodstorm Blade at least. Makes for an interesting build too I think.

loky1109
2023-12-19, 04:12 AM
Look at Goliath of Gath (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25779583&postcount=93) from Ballisteer IC round.

H_H_F_F
2023-12-19, 04:16 AM
The +1 Aptitude property would allow you to use any quick-load feat to load a sling faster.

Disagree that it'd work on any feat, but I do think it works for Hand Crossbow Focus.

I've made this case here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?655924-Iron-Chef-Optimization-Challenge-in-the-Playground-CXXVI&p=25779583&viewfull=1#post25779583), in this build.

OP, you might to take a glance at it. I've made a few serious mistakes there (read expansion wrong, which led to a wrong racial choice), but it's a sling build through and through, and totally fixable.

Edit: swordsaged by loky.

Duke of Urrel
2023-12-21, 07:10 PM
Hello again.

I think I have decided simply to create a home-brew feat: the Rapid Reload for Slings feat.

It works just like the Rapid Reload feat for a hand or light crossbow, but for a sling.

It has bothered me for some time that slings, the signature weapon of halflingkind (and all heroes who punch above their weight), are the only ranged weapon that you can use only once per round, unless you happen to have two loaded slings handed to you, in which case you can attack with both slings in one round.

I understand that to be realistic, you should spin a sling around before you launch the stone or bullet, so that in real life, it may be impossible to launch stones or bullets as quickly as you can shoot arrows from a bow.

But D&D shouldn't be too realistic. Besides, you need to spin bolas before you throw them, too, but this doesn't prevent you, following the rules of D&D, to throw as many bolas as you have attacks in one full attack action, provided that you have the Quick Draw feat.

The Quick Draw feat should also empower you to hurl as many stones or bullets in one round as you have attacks in one full attack action, provided that you have the Rapid Reload for Slings feat.

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-12-21, 07:13 PM
Just allow Quick Draw to work with slings, along with all the other uses for it. Slings are very simple, relatively easy to use weapons. You shouldn't have to devote a ton of effort just to use them effectively. It's not like they're nearly as good as bows, so why require far more effort for far less return?

Darg
2023-12-21, 09:17 PM
Hello again.

I think I have decided simply to create a home-brew feat: the Rapid Reload for Slings feat.

It works just like the Rapid Reload feat for a hand or light crossbow, but for a sling.

It has bothered me for some time that slings, the signature weapon of halflingkind (and all heroes who punch above their weight), are the only ranged weapon that you can use only once per round, unless you happen to have two loaded slings handed to you, in which case you can attack with both slings in one round.

I understand that to be realistic, you should spin a sling around before you launch the stone or bullet, so that in real life, it may be impossible to launch stones or bullets as quickly as you can shoot arrows from a bow.

But D&D shouldn't be too realistic. Besides, you need to spin bolas before you throw them, too, but this doesn't prevent you, following the rules of D&D, to throw as many bolas as you have attacks in one full attack action, provided that you have the Quick Draw feat.

The Quick Draw feat should also empower you to hurl as many stones or bullets in one round as you have attacks in one full attack action, provided that you have the Rapid Reload for Slings feat.

The reason it takes a move action to load a sling is not just because of the spinning action, but also because of the need to release the sling. Imagine folding a cord, holding both ends, spin it, and then releasing only one end. That's pretty much how a sling works. To reload you need to draw the cord back in and place ammo on a nonrigid surface. The move action similar to a light crossbow is 100% pretty accurate if the crossbow is using a lever action loader. Bolas by comparison are super easy and simple actions: grab the knot, twirl, and let go. If you want a second one, grab it off your belt hook or whatever holder you're using.

Requiring a rapid reload feat is probably necessary as it shows a beyond normal proficiency at reloading.

wilphe
2023-12-22, 06:26 AM
I feel we are at GitG here.

If you have a second attack you are already a 6th level character, casters are doing 6d6 over an area and that isn't even considered a good use of their abilities.

I'm not even sure its worth charging a feat to give iteratives on a sling, or at least give it for free to Halflings

Pugwampy
2023-12-22, 07:12 AM
Loading a sling is a move action that requires two hands and provokes attacks of opportunity.

How about a quickdraw feat ? Your +3 2d8 blood axe with 1d6 sonic damage is weee more useful if some stinky beasty is within melee range .

Prime32
2023-12-22, 07:46 AM
Pathfinder has the Juggle Load feat chain that lets you do it.
Pathfinder also has the Warslinger alternate racial trait for halflings (https://aonprd.com/RacesDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Halfling), which lets them trade their skill bonuses for the ability to reload slings as a free action.

PF Halflings also treat the double sling (wielded as a double weapon) and sling staff (1d8/x3, 80ft range increment) as martial weapons rather than exotic weapons.

wilphe
2023-12-22, 09:29 AM
PF Halflings also treat the double sling (wielded as a double weapon) and sling staff (1d8/x3, 80ft range increment) as martial weapons rather than exotic weapons.

PF has a double sling?

What's the inspiration for that?

Dire flail users who felt they weren't hitting themselves in the back of the head enough already?