PDA

View Full Version : Dog Mage (Name needs work) [PRC]

StickMan
2007-12-12, 11:20 AM
In loving memory of my dog Scruffy 1990-2007.
"Sure there are a lot of 'Good' familiars but there is only one that is also man's best friend"
Stan Sargo,
Dog Mage
Many Mages keep familiars but many will argue that the best familiar is man's best friend, the dog. Some Mages who have dogs as familiars take their bond to a new level and become Dog Mages. The most common class to become a Dog mage is Sorcerer because often times the companion ship of there dog is all they know for years.

Dogs as familiars were first published in Dragon 341 using the standard dog statistics from the monster manual. Dogs familiars grant a +3 to Sense Motive.

Prerequiste: Dog Familiar, Bonded Familiar [Feat], must have speak with master special ability.

Dog Mage
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells per Day

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Shape Change (Puppy), Bonded Life|+1 Level of Existing Class

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Improved Hit points|+1 Level of Existing Class

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Shape Change (Riding Dog)|+1 Level of Existing Class

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Improved Bond|+1 Level of Existing Class

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Shape Change (Dire Dog)|+1 Level of Existing Class

[/table]

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d4
Class Skills:
Class Skills:Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Survival (Wis).
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Shape Change: Starting at first level the familiar of a Dog Mage can as a standard action change its form. At first level the familiar can turn its self in to a puppy gaining all the physically characteristics of a puppy, but keeping its own mental characteristics and familiar abilities. At level 3 the familiar can turn its self in to a Riding dog and at 5th level it can turn its self into a Dire Dog form, in both forms it keeps its Mental characteristics and familiar abilities. When the familiar uses this ability any Items that it is wearing resize to fit its new form

Bonded life: The familiars length of life is tied to his master and ages from this point on at the same rate as his master. If the familiar dies its master automatically fails the Fortitude save to avoid losing experience points.

Improved Hit points: The familiar now gains Hit points equal to its masters and may use its own constitution modifier instead of its masters if higher.

Improved Bond: The benefits of the Bonded Familiar feat are improved allowing familiar and master to trade damage any number of times per day when an attack would drop them to below zero HP.

Puppy
Puppy Tiny Animal
Hit Dice: 1d8+2 (6 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 18 (+2 size, +5 Dex, +1 natural), touch 17, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +0
Attack: Bite +1 melee (1d3-1)
Full Attack: Bite +1 melee (1d3-1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent, cute
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +1
Abilities: Str 9, Dex 20 , Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills: Jump +7, Listen +5, Spot +5, Survival +1*
Feats: Alertness, TrackB
Environment: Temperate plains
Organization: Solitary or pack (5–12)
Challenge Rating: 1/3
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

Cute: Puppys gain a +4 bonus on charisma checks with good aligned creatures and others who love dogs.
Dire Dog

Dire Dog
Size/Type: Large Animal
Hit Dice: 6d8+18 (45 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 17 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +6 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+15
Attack: Bite +11 melee (1d8+10)
Full Attack: Bite +11 melee (1d8+10)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Trip
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +6
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 15, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills: Hide +0, Listen +7, Move Silently +4, Spot +7, Survival +2*
Feats: Alertness, Run, TrackB, Weapon Focus (bite)
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary or pack (5-8)
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 7-18 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: —

Lady Tialait
2007-12-12, 11:34 AM
That is a soo sweet. I like it alot. awww...now thanks i miss my puppy!

StickMan
2007-12-12, 11:05 PM
That is a soo sweet. I like it alot. awww...now thanks i miss my puppy!

Thanks. I'm wondering if there is anything I should do to it I may actually want to use it in a game.

I could use suggestions on the name for instance.

Tyonisius
2007-12-13, 01:54 AM
It looks like fun flavor wise... I might ninja it and edit it a bit and turn it into a 10 level PrC if that's alright.

As a possible name... Canine Caster? :smallbiggrin:

StickMan
2007-12-13, 10:39 AM
It looks like fun flavor wise... I might ninja it and edit it a bit and turn it into a 10 level PrC if that's alright.

That may actually be a good idea turning it into a 10 level. I've been trying to think of things to give it if I do. I like the idea of giving up spell slots over losing spell levels like the Archmage which seems better to me because as a 10 level the class is going to need to give up some thing to remain balanced. Giving up some spells may give the Familiar a spell like ability, feats, or just improved stats but if I did that I would do a lot of options I think that way each persons bond is unique.

So any ideas?

Orzel
2007-12-13, 11:21 AM
Cute. I like it.

Need a bite attack and a Puppy Eyes power for the familiar.

"I'm going to enjoy killing you Tamok. Nooo! Not the puppy eyes! Can't... cast... death... spell."

DracoDei
2007-12-13, 12:27 PM
Last I checked the slower aging part of "Bonded Life" was a standard ability for all familiars anyway... just to fine a detail to end up in the core rules... it was in "Tome and Blood" (3.0 book for Wizards and Sorcerers).

StickMan
2007-12-13, 11:08 PM
Cute. I like it.

Need a bite attack and a Puppy Eyes power for the familiar.

"I'm going to enjoy killing you Tamok. Nooo! Not the puppy eyes! Can't... cast... death... spell."

Well I'm not really trying to give the caster any more powers its really supposed to make the familiar better or make them more interconnected.

Last I checked the slower aging part of "Bonded Life" was a standard ability for all familiars anyway... just to fine a detail to end up in the core rules... it was in "Tome and Blood" (3.0 book for Wizards and Sorcerers).

I did not know that at all. I don't think to many people use Tome and Blood anymore so I'm sure the ability will not be considered overly redundant.

Thanks for the feed back all,
Stickman.

Cryopyre
2007-12-13, 11:22 PM
Here's my idea for a name:
Canomancer
(canine magic)

Moribundus
2007-12-14, 12:52 AM
Cavé canem

woofa woofa

StickMan
2007-12-14, 09:24 PM
Here's my idea for a name:
Canomancer
(canine magic)

See now once more I like the idea but the class does not really focus on the caster gaining all that much, first time I've ever had such a hard time naming a class.

souldoubt
2007-12-14, 10:44 PM
Nice. Could work as a 10 lvl PrC or as is, methinks.

Hmm... name ideas...

*sound of gears whirring...*

Canimagus?

Cerberomancer?

Dogstar? Or Dogstar Mage? (Or Sirius Mage, but someone's bound to sound it it out like "Serious Mage" :smalltongue: )

Dogtrotter? (Okay, now that's just silly :smallannoyed: )

Probably not any of those... try a different word for "dog," like "hound"

Hound Caller?

Houndmaster? Or Houndmaster Mage?

That's it, I'm all out.

Tyonisius
2007-12-17, 01:19 PM
Personally, for the 10 level PrC I had in mind giving the animal some more abilities and forms to turn into. Isn't there a feat that makes your familiar more combat oriented? If so and I can find it, I'd give the familiar that at higher levels. I'd probably take 1 or 2 spell caster levels/slots from the class to level it out.

puppyavenger
2007-12-17, 01:51 PM
Canomancer
(canine magic)

someone who divines through dogs?

mabriss lethe
2007-12-17, 03:28 PM
This just reminds me of how much I love the spell Hound of Doom. and how much I love playing Hexblades...

Weirdlet
2007-12-17, 03:41 PM
Kennelmaster, perhaps?

Heliomance
2007-12-17, 05:03 PM
Arcanineist?

Charlie Kemek
2007-12-17, 09:59 PM
let me see...

chien-charme
hound-charme
cane-fascino