PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder path of war dual weilding crossbows

Railak
2023-12-19, 08:46 PM
So, crossbows have special rules for using them one handed/dual weilding. So dual weilding them isn't the issue (although loading is a different story, but not what I'm asking about)

Path of War has some interesting stances and feats, two being weapon group adaptation, which allows you to add a group of weapons into all disciplines you know weapon groups, like crossbows. And specifically Piercing Thunder has Twin Thunder Stance, which allows you to use 2 handed weapons as light weapons in each hand as long as you have the two weapon fighting feat.

So if crossbows are a discipline weapon through weapon group adaptation, and I dual weild heavy crossbows using twin thunder stance and two weapon fighting feat, do I still take the -4 for one handing the heavy crossbow, because that's the penalty that heavy crossbow states in its description?

Or would giving it the same penalty as the light crossbow (-2) which is treated as a light weapon for two weapon fighting be a better approach?

Rynjin
2023-12-19, 08:52 PM
Yes, you still take the -4 because it is separate from the dual-wielding penalty. It actually says this at the end of the Heavy Crossbow description.

You draw a heavy crossbow back by turning a small winch. Normally, operating a heavy crossbow requires two hands. However, you can shoot, but not load, a heavy crossbow with one hand at a –4 penalty on attack rolls. You can shoot a heavy crossbow with each hand, but you take a penalty on attack rolls as if attacking with two one-handed weapons. This penalty is cumulative with the penalty for one-handed firing.