PDA

View Full Version : GM Needed High level game request, potential game swap

paradox26
2023-12-21, 02:00 AM
Hi everyone. I have been running a lot of games lately, and would like to take part in one as a player. Ideally it will be higher level, though not necessarily epic level, and either D&D3.5 or PF1 for a system. I am okay to either a published module or a homebrew campaign. I know there aren't many DMs around these days, but I hold out hope.

Paddywagon Man
2023-12-21, 03:32 AM
I'm happy to run one in PF1, but probably can't for around a month, so somebody might pick up before then hopefully.

Really impressed by how many you've been running at once!

paradox26
2023-12-21, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the offer. I don't mind waiting if anyone else doesn't step up for this.

Running a bunch of games isn't too hard when you are working from modules. I just don't update every day, to avoid burnout.

Talivan
2023-12-21, 09:54 AM
Interested as a player!

tonberryking
2023-12-21, 07:54 PM
Possibly interested depending on story.

samduke
2023-12-22, 02:53 PM
I'm happy to run one in PF1, but probably can't for around a month, so somebody might pick up before then hopefully.

Really impressed by how many you've been running at once!

Interested pending big 16

Aleph Null
2023-12-25, 01:30 PM
I shall also meep a tentative interest.

Meep.

Stormwolf69
2023-12-25, 06:32 PM
Interested pending big 16 and an idea of the story.

Lioslaith
2023-12-25, 07:43 PM
I'd love to play.

Triskavanski
2023-12-25, 08:01 PM
I'm for a high game.

TheAlmightyKue
2023-12-25, 09:33 PM
Posted interest as player

kinem
2023-12-26, 08:51 AM
I might be interested but might not have enough time to put into it. My preference is non-gestalt and I’m more familiar with high level 3.5 than PF. Also of note, in a few months it’s possible that I’ll start up a small epic game as DM.

TankLaser007
2024-01-03, 05:54 AM
What level were you looking play 10/13/15/17/20? What kind of game? Setting, tone, style? There's anything particular you're looking for or just want to scratch the itch to be a PC for a wile?

Xavion
2024-01-04, 01:20 AM
I've been thinking about this, got some ideas lurking for something relatively straightforward, just like, a small mega-dungeon. I know it's an oxymoron, but the intent should be clear. Basing it off some published dungeons but with a few tweaks for the level and whatnot. It'd be PF over 3.5, probably mid to high teens as a starting level with the potential for a couple of level ups.

Not sure if should look into it more, what people want out of anything is pretty vague here.

paradox26
2024-01-04, 01:24 AM
What level were you looking play 10/13/15/17/20? What kind of game? Setting, tone, style? There's anything particular you're looking for or just want to scratch the itch to be a PC for a wile?

Good thinking on narrowing it down a bit. I would prefer levels 15-17, with more roleplay than battle, though the offered dungeon crawl wouldn't put me off either. I prefer serious games to anything silly, and prefer low OP, as I dislike rocket tag. I am mostly just looking at scratching the itch for playing rather than running all of my games.

Kallimakus
2024-01-04, 02:37 AM
I would like to post interest on much the same grounds, finding myself running games over being a player. I can take whatever is offered, but would love some roleplaying opportunities.

TankLaser007
2024-01-04, 04:17 AM
Full disclosure, I have an erratic work life as an independent contractor. Sometimes I have short term high intensity (in terms of time /energy) jobs other times I have pretty "easy" loads. As such I have the tendency to slow down sometimes and then "flake." That said I do love world building, and lean more towards role play than role play (especially when I run games). I've been guilty of letting games die in the past. (I think Kallimakus can attest to that ^^;;;) However I do have a setting from a game that never got up and running that is pretty fleshed out (I think I even have a few NPCs ready), its a bit "steam-punkish" "magi-tech" ala Arcane. If that strikes your fancy and willing to take the risk I can draw up a Big 16 based what you're looking for.

paradox26
2024-01-04, 04:52 AM
I would be fine with that. And if the dungeon crawl games happen, I will be fine with playing in them too. I am only playing in two games, and both are going very slowly.

Kallimakus
2024-01-04, 05:06 AM
Full disclosure, I have an erratic work life as an independent contractor. Sometimes I have short term high intensity (in terms of time /energy) jobs other times I have pretty "easy" loads. As such I have the tendency to slow down sometimes and then "flake." That said I do love world building, and lean more towards role play than role play (especially when I run games). I've been guilty of letting games die in the past. (I think Kallimakus can attest to that ^^;;;) However I do have a setting from a game that never got up and running that is pretty fleshed out (I think I even have a few NPCs ready), its a bit "steam-punkish" "magi-tech" ala Arcane. If that strikes your fancy and willing to take the risk I can draw up a Big 16 based what you're looking for.

Sounds good. I love Spheres (of Might in particular) but I can do a standard style character too. I'll wait on the game information before (inevitably) getting excited.

Xavion
2024-01-04, 06:31 AM
Yeah, my own largest issue is that not sure how best to tackle pbp specifically. It's been a few years since I played pbp, and never GM'd it before, more used to GMing live games. Just little things as a result, like I can't remember the best ways to handle combat and the like. A big 16 and description I could whip up easily enough.

paradox26
2024-01-04, 06:37 AM
I would welcome multiple games, so I am up for all of those that have been proposed.

Xavion, I am an experienced online DM, so if you require assistance with PbP I can offer some guidance, and I am sure other DMs will help out too.

Lioslaith
2024-01-04, 06:52 AM
I would love to play in a rp heavy low optimized game. That sounds like a great change of pace.

Llyarden
2024-01-04, 07:03 AM
I don't really have anything to add beyond being interested (especially if it is indeed a low-op game), but after missing out on a couple games because they've been closed to new interest as soon as recruiting has formally started, I just want to post something here to avoid that happening again.

I am happy to offer suggestions on PbP GMing - whether they're good suggestions is anyone's guess though. :smallbiggrin:

Aleph Null
2024-01-04, 10:15 AM
Re-meeping my aforemeeped (aforemeepen?) interest.
Meep.

TheAlmightyKue
2024-01-04, 11:57 AM
Dotting for interest.

Frendle
2024-01-04, 12:20 PM
Interest level high.

Lioslaith
2024-01-04, 12:59 PM
I’d say at this point a dm just needs to post a 16 and take control. Run with it.

Palanan
2024-01-04, 01:10 PM
Joining in the general meepening.

Paradox's parameters work very well for me (strong RP, relatively low-op) and it's been a while since I've worked up a character in that level range. Let there be a mighty meeping for the 16!

Xavion
2024-01-04, 10:57 PM
Yeah, any GM advice appreciated. Should I go off and make a seperate thread? Not sure on spheres vs non-spheres, but the premise and big 16 would be something like this.

The False Spark
Millennia ago a meteor crashed from the heavens upon the wastes of Deimos, said to rival mountains. The turmoil took decades to end, and as the dust settled a twisted mountain had formed over the site, covered with spires of rock and riddled with caves of metal. Haunted by both those who had died and those came with it.

In the modern era, the site is known as Mount Senrith and its history is mostly forgotten. A small town has set up nearby, helping support those daring adventurers that still explore it hoping for treasure, whether still functioning ancient Sendisian devices that still linger in the caves or just its many lost riches, but the dragon nests keep most from venturing too close, to say nothing of the twisted beings of rock and steel that lurk within.

You've uncovered evidence there might be a far greater treasure lurking deep within its depths than any formerly believed, an artifical spark of Bog. An artifact powerful enough that if fully ignited could allow the user to ascend to godhood, of course it's always been thought to be impossible to create one artificially, and even if one were to exist the psychic power required to fully ignite it would need thousands if not millions of people fueling it. Hence where you come in, you've each found evidence of a grand conspiracy that not only believes the spark exists, but also has plans to ignite it. You've somehow formed a group for whatever reasons you possess, somewhere deep within Mount Senrith lurks the answer to all this, and potentially one of the greatest treasures in the universe.

System: PF1
Player Count: 4-5
Style of Play: It's a small megadungeon, so a bunch of exploration and combat, with some RP but less of a focus on interacting with NPCs.
Allowed Content:
Basically all 1pp PF1 content allowed, 3pp can be asked about but entire systems are unlikely.
Background skills allowed, Knowledge (Engineering) does not count as a background skill here.
Combat Stamina allowed, feat access required.
Fractional BAB/saves is in effect.
Technologist and other technological options are allowed.
Emerging guns.
2 traits, up to 1 drawback.
A simplified feat tax rules.
Any ability limited to a single weapon of your choice can be applied to a weapon group instead, so long as every weapon in that group could've been a valid choice.
Dodge has the effects of Mobility and counts as it for prerequisites.
All characters get Weapon Finesse, Power Attack, Deadly Aim, and Combat Expertise for free so long as they meet the prerequisites.
Any feat that requires Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, or both now requires either. Precise Shot no longer requires Point Blank Shot.
Improved Combat Maneuver feats are condensed into Skilled Maneuvers and Forceful Maneuvers, these have no prerequisites. The former covers Grapple, Steal, Feint, Disarm, and Dirty Trick, the latter covers Reposition, Bull Rush, Drag, Overrun, Trip, and Sunder.
Character Creation: As long as it's easily readable by me I don't really care what you use for a sheet.
Backstory: Enough to make someone care and give an idea of your character, but it's not likely to come up a ton outside of RP due to the mostly contained nature of the game.
Experience: Level 16
Wealth: Standard WBL. Pre-crafting is not allowed, but is partially compensated for based on the guidelines. If you possess one crafting feat you get an additional 25% of WBL that can only be spent on items you could craft, and if you have two or more it goes up to an additional 50%.
Ability Scores: 25 PB
Hitpoints/Health: Average round up.
Alignment: Be able to work in a group. I'll follow the alignment rules so stuff like paladins function, but I don't care that much.
Other Notes:
Please avoid anything too abusive like ashen path, trompes, lucid dreaming, arbitrarily large constructs, and so on. This will mostly be handled on a case by case basis, feel free to ask if you're unsure.
While this is a homebrew setting, generally feel free to use most PF1 specific content. Like yeah sure, custom pantheon and gods exist and I can elaborate if you want, but they're not statted for use in PF1 so can use the normal gods and stuff too. A quick summary of some of the more notable highlights of the setting, can elaborate on anything.

Necromancy, specifically the creation of undead via magic, isn't inherently evil, but intelligent undead tend to view as a perversion of undeath. As most people don't like being murdered by vampires, ghosts or zombies, this creates a cultural stigma against necromancy similar to what you get in normal dnd settings.
Planes aren't really a thing. Demiplanes exist, but for the most part the setting has only a tiny handful of planes in the dnd sense so anything reliant on other planes should be asked about. This has knockon effects for how stuff like devils and demons interact in the setting as no heaven/hell but that's not likely to matter too much unless someone wants to get really into like, binding fiends or the like.
Fey are Terrific.

Athaleon
2024-01-04, 11:02 PM
I like the setting so far. Count me interested.

Not sure yet what kind of character, but it's been a very long time since I've seen Pathfinder's technological items in play. Possibly something to do with those.

Xavion
2024-01-04, 11:59 PM
Yeah, it's a homebrew setting I've been tinkering with for ages, though the actual content planned is based on a few published adventures for various systems in that "alien technology is like magic to a fantasy world" theme you get occasionally.

Heavily tweaked for the different setting of course, like the pathfinder sci-fi stuff tends to involve the dominion of black as enemies which is like an evil eldritch alien race and there's no equivalent here. The closest would probably be like, a false lich's cult but that's more eldritch than aliens still.

niw18
2024-01-05, 12:45 AM
interesting so a single class with Fractional BAB/saves hmm might be challenging

Xavion
2024-01-05, 12:50 AM
Yeah, if I run it I'd be doing not much fanciness. No gestalt or anything, though I could be convinced to do spheres of people want it.

niw18
2024-01-05, 12:54 AM
I like spheres, but hopefully this gets a lot of interest if it's you or someone else running it

Kallimakus
2024-01-05, 01:00 AM
I mean, I'm a sucker for Spheres (of Might especially, as mentioned above). For Spheres, I'd probably be looking at a Striker, though I could do the character as a Monk or Brawler without difficulty. That, or go for a Magus. Ooh, or with a level like that, maybe a Prestige Class.

So no need to feel pressured to pick Spheres on my account actually.

Edit: Is playing a Leporine (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/3rd-party-races/samurai-sheepdog/leporine/) something that suits the world or something that I should shelf right off?

Athaleon
2024-01-05, 02:20 AM
I'm thinking level 16 is perfect for a Wizard 6 / Technomancer 10.

I like Spheres myself, but they're a big departure from Core, and it could be a bit much to jump into DM'ing a high level game with a whole new subsystem. Spheres of Might are naturally much more manageable.

Xavion
2024-01-05, 02:54 AM
Oh, I know spheres very well, I'm just experienced enough to know the extra work that goes into running it and the flaws it adds. Not that standard PF1 is work free, but it's different and spheres tends to result in more numbers creep in my experience.

Probably going no spheres cause making tech a thing, and the tech related options in spheres are so sorely lacking I'd be basically banning all of them. Ultimate Engineering probably fixes that but frankly I don't want to learn that right now and also it hasn't been released yet. That and I dislike mixing Spheres of Power with Vancian so I'd probably go full SoP which yeah, feels like it limits some of the cool alien technology related stuff.

Should probably make a thread at this point.

TankLaser007
2024-01-05, 05:52 AM
I was typing up notes all morning and missed Xavion's posts buuut more games the merrier. Thread for the game here:

Æterna Urbis : the Immortal City (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?663543-%C6terna-Urbis-the-Immortal-City-Game-Request&p=25940476#post25940476)

Fair warning there are still a bit to type up and transfer from other mediums to the forums and still a bit more that only lives in my grey matter.

Lioslaith
2024-01-05, 05:54 AM
Never messed with spheres and probably won’t bother with them now. I’m thinking a warforged melee type but with a fluff twist if they are allowed.

Aleph Null
2024-01-05, 04:34 PM
What do you mean by "Fey are Terrific"?
Speaking of which, what race options are on the table

paradox26
2024-02-04, 11:45 AM
There have been a few high level games around lately, but they have either died immediately or else I haven’t been picked. So I am still looking for a high level game. To sweeten the deal, I would be prepared to offer a place in an epic level game I was thinking of running. It is a module I ran a few years ago, and runs from level 21 to 30. Last time the game lasted three years before a slow death, and the PCs went as high as level 24.

Any takers for a game swap?

samduke
2024-02-04, 02:29 PM
There have been a few high level games around lately, but they have either died immediately or else I haven’t been picked. So I am still looking for a high level game. To sweeten the deal, I would be prepared to offer a place in an epic level game I was thinking of running. It is a module I ran a few years ago, and runs from level 21 to 30. Last time the game lasted three years before a slow death, and the PCs went as high as level 24.

Any takers for a game swap?

Deal if your up for Pathfinder 1e/3.5 mix ??

Talivan
2024-02-04, 10:23 PM
I'm up for a player if something goes on!

Many many years ago, the first players showing interest + requestor gets a seat in the buss campaing, maybe you can do that...

Also I will love it if Gestalt

paradox26
2024-02-05, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the offer, Sam. I will get to creating a 16 to hold up my end of the deal. I will put it into a fresh thread for purposes of clarity and ease of access.

I don’t do first come first served because I live in an unusual time zone and it is unfair to most players who are asleep when I post.

As for gestalt, that was how I ran it last time and I found it to be very overpowered. Also, without gestalt I can manage to fit in an extra player or two, as last time I could only manage to run it with three players before it got silly.

samduke
2024-02-05, 03:58 AM
I'm up for a player if something goes on!

Many many years ago, the first players showing interest + requestor gets a seat in the buss campaing, maybe you can do that...

Also I will love it if Gestalt

Consideribg the last game i started you had a solid charicter, it will be intetedting to see what you build, but p26 will be the only auto in, i will finalize my 16 and post something in a dsy

paradox26
2024-02-05, 04:50 AM
Okay, I have created my game recruitment thread. Link is below:
https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?664262-The-Drow-War-(Epic-3-5)