PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Some house rules and a monk

Dieuoffire
2023-12-21, 02:40 PM
I have a set of house rules used for my games in 3.5 one of which is designed to help (not totally fix) the tier balance of the classes. It goes like this

Tier 1: -4 points for point buy
Tier 2&3: no adjustments
Tier 4: +1/4 feat and bonus attribute point per level
Tier 5: +1/2 feat and bonus attribute point per level
Tier 6: +1 feat and bonus attribute point per level

So 4 levels of a T4 class net you one more feat and a +1 to an attribute, counted as inherit magical gain. It is stackable with all other gains. Four level of a T6 class gets you +4 attribute points and +4 feats.

The attribute bonus can be separated out as desired. It is not to ALL attributes. (so the +1 for four levels for a T4 class could be added to a single attribute.

So my question is this

Does this make the monk competitive in a T2-3 game? (being T5, +10 attributes and +10 feats at level 20)

Please remember I am not looking to ask if it "dominates all," just if around levels 7-12 if the monk becomes competitive with a optimized bard, non-optimized sorcerer or similar power level.

Opinions?
(Yes I know it does not completely fix it. The house-rule is designed to be very simple and help to the point of mechanically effectively playing the class.)

Maat Mons
2023-12-21, 06:00 PM
If you take a Tier 1 class at level 2 or later, do you have to redo your stats with your new, lower point buy?

Dieuoffire
2023-12-21, 07:40 PM
The bonuses are not point buy. they are gained as inherent bonuses.

the T1 penalty is only to start as that class. Meaning if you want pure T1 caster (all 20 levels) you take a -4 to your point buy.

It is not the worst thing in the game but it does tend to dissuade people for T1 optimization a little.