PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Bink's Christmas Brawl

Farmerbink
2023-12-23, 02:46 PM
Hey, folks!

So I'm staying home or the holidays this year, and find myself with a surprising (and perceived to last a few weeks at least) amount of free time. SO! I have a scheme.

https://media.bradfordexchange.com/images/d_bxus_default.png/w_1200,h_1200,q_auto,f_auto,dpr_1,e_sharpen:100/subplan-and-parent/49208/Rudolph-The-Red-Nosed-Reindeer-Holiday-Village-CollectionThere is no grand plot, only very loosely related silly combat settings. CHRISTMAS IS IN DANGER! You know only that Santa hasn't been heard from all month, and if you don't go find out why, there may be no Christmas for all the good little girls and boys! No happy homecoming for misfit toys! No still-struggling morsels being shoveled down the abominable snowman's gullet! -Well, he might be just fine, actually.

ANYWAY.

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
Pathfinder First edition

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
Heavy combat in the frozen north. Christmastown needs you!

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
4 players.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
Play will be here, on the forums. There will be a Discord channel dedicated to OOC discussions and quick-answer questions to facilitate pacing.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
Level 2

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
Standard WBL (1,000 GP worth of goods), pre-crafting limited to 500 cost items

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
1st-party classes are open season. That's it. Keep it simple, this isn't a super-serious endeavor.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
1st-party races are go- variations are fine.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
20 point buy.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
Probably doesn't matter at all. XD

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
No special treatment. Standard and variant are both acceptable.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
Most rolls will be in the in-character thread. When needed, OOC thread may be used (to determine the effects of a save before posting, for example). Label them, please.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
A few. In case it becomes relevant, flying creatures do not get to take attacks of opportunity without mechanically hovering (or having a perfect maneuverability rating). In addition, Fighters get Combat Stamina as a bonus at level 1.
Edit: You will level up after each fight, so expect things to end up around 12th or 15th level!

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
Nope! You don't have to have any idea why you're here.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
Heavy combat. Occasional mostly tongue-in-cheek Christmas references.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
I'm fairly sure all 1st-party Paizo is on the table. Background Skills are in, but probably irrelevant. 2 Traits are in.

This is not quite a first-come, first-served scenario. BUT as soon as I have 4 players submitted that I consider to be a reasonable party, we'll take off!

Llyarden
2023-12-23, 03:26 PM
How Christmassy/silly should characters be? For instance, would refluffing a bludgeoning weapon as a giant candy cane be fitting? (Not particularly planning to do that, it just happened to be the first thing that came to mind.)

Farmerbink
2023-12-23, 03:30 PM
How Christmassy/silly should characters be? For instance, would refluffing a bludgeoning weapon as a giant candy cane be fitting? (Not particularly planning to do that, it just happened to be the first thing that came to mind.)

It would be perhaps the most appropriate thing I can imagine. :smallbiggrin:

This is not about high-quality art or storytelling. I don't plan on continuing the game past January or February- which even then would be assuming the fights managed to fit into a strange place between "longer than I expected" and "not so long that I still feel like I can make time for it."

This is very much a silly, idle amusement sort of thing. If you've got a particularly story-difficult combat build you wanna try? Bring it on. If you wanna be Strawberry Shortcake herself, riding into combat astride Pinkie Pie with a candy-cane lance? Fine.

If you want some ultra gritty story-driven redemption arc, this is not the opportunity you've been waiting for.

DarkOne-Rob
2023-12-23, 03:41 PM
In before someone else takes it -

I am claiming Jack from The Nightmare Before Christmas!

I'm not sure what he will be yet, but I've got ([Evil]/"scary") ideas!

Work-in-progress ideas: either a Dhampir or Half-Orc (very, very thin) Tattooed Sorcerer (Undead Bloodline, with Bloodline Familiar, maybe?) 1, Dirge Bard 1 with Memorable (Social Trait) and Adopted--->Fiery Glare (Ifrit Racial Trait). This gets me an "undead" familiar dog (Zero) and the necessary singing and spells to start playing. From there, things get...complicated.

Llyarden
2023-12-23, 03:55 PM
I haven't decided on my character's name yet, but he's going to be clobbering people with a (small) Christmas tree while hiding behind a reindeer he's conjured out of thin air. Don't think I can finagle a way of making it fly or shed light without 3pp stuff, but it's close enough lol.

Farmerbink
2023-12-23, 04:33 PM
Oh this is relevant, and never quite made it from my brain to text:

You will level up after each fight. It will get (mathematically) intense.

Llyarden
2023-12-23, 04:48 PM
Oh, interesting. Will our equipment/WBL increase to match?

EDIT: Can't seem to find how we're doing HP, but apart from that, Jaque (https://og.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2864695) and The Spirit of Rudolph (https://og.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2864702) should be mechanically complete.

Farmerbink
2023-12-23, 05:56 PM

EDIT: Can't seem to find how we're doing HP, but apart from that, Jaque (https://og.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2864695) and The Spirit of Rudolph (https://og.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2864702) should be mechanically complete.

Fair questions, implicit and implied.

I will probably throw so much loot at you that WBL keeps up, but you're forced to use perhaps less-than-ideal things. I don't foresee anything like markets to sell-and-buy, nor sufficient downtime for crafting, though I may decide later to hand-waive those concerns into dust.

HP is max at all levels. I feel like it tends to take just a bit of the edge off of otherwise rocket-tag-gy mechanics.

Farmerbink
2023-12-23, 06:39 PM

Just to be clear, you look like frontliner with some (psychic) magical self-support? I'm not especially familiar with the spiritualist, but this is as good a time as any to fix that!

Llyarden
2023-12-23, 06:44 PM
Yeah, the idea is basically I hide behind my phantom and hit things with reach weapons and use Beastmaster Style to try to negate attacks on it, while it either Aids me with Benevolent increasing the bonus to +4 or uses Opening Strike to let someone else (or me in a pinch) get an extra attack if it hits.

And don't worry, I've never touched the spiritualist before now either lol.

Farmerbink
2023-12-23, 09:13 PM
Yeah, the idea is basically I hide behind my phantom and hit things with reach weapons and use Beastmaster Style to try to negate attacks on it, while it either Aids me with Benevolent increasing the bonus to +4 or uses Opening Strike to let someone else (or me in a pinch) get an extra attack if it hits.

And don't worry, I've never touched the spiritualist before now either lol.

Interesting feat! I haven't seen that before, but it looks kind of neat. One significant wrinkle (which I'm sure plagues most people who take that feat) is you have to be adjacent to the enemy- not just it has to be in your reach. That said, in a game without tanking mechanics, that feat just looks busted to me. I'll probably let you play it as "in reach" and call it a day.

Triskavanski
2023-12-24, 12:42 AM
Are you at least getting a rest or something between at least some of the fights?

samduke
2023-12-24, 01:05 AM
Could be interesting,
Would race changeling, be ok? I am going for the fat man himself, class druid or hunter. Animal companion of course is big red, who can fly and be a mount.. least thats the thought, wont get crunch for several hours, busy atm and on phone

Yas392
2023-12-24, 02:15 AM
*Rubs hands.* This is going to be fun. Going to make an elf or half-elf masquerading as a worker elf and throwing toys like snowballs from his sack at the ones who threaten the holiday spirit. Highly focused on Shinigami style.

Llyarden
2023-12-24, 05:24 AM
Interesting feat! I haven't seen that before, but it looks kind of neat. One significant wrinkle (which I'm sure plagues most people who take that feat) is you have to be adjacent to the enemy- not just it has to be in your reach. That said, in a game without tanking mechanics, that feat just looks busted to me. I'll probably let you play it as "in reach" and call it a day.

Oh, yeah, I missed that. Well, even if you don't want to start houseruling stuff that's fine, I can hide behind my reindeer when I want it to tank or put myself at risk to boost its defences. Later on I'll probably give it Bodyguard and/or Intercept Blow so it can make me tankier too, and by level 9 or so I think I'd be able to make my hammer non-reach so I wouldn't have to keep doing 5ft-step wackiness all the time.

(Of course I wouldn't protest if you do decide to buff the feat! :smallbiggrin:)

samduke
2023-12-24, 08:46 AM
okay where backstory does not seem to be needed...

Becky (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2864855) should be ready to go

Farmerbink
2023-12-24, 09:29 AM
Could be interesting,
Would race changeling, be ok? I am going for the fat man himself, class druid or hunter. Animal companion of course is big red, who can fly and be a mount.. least thats the thought, wont get crunch for several hours, busy atm and on phone

I'm utterly uninvested in your choices of race. It's perhaps worth noting, you're going to fight against a bunch of Christmas-themed stuff. You're welcome to be an imitator, but Santa is the BBEG. :smallbiggrin:

Farmerbink
2023-12-24, 09:30 AM
Are you at least getting a rest or something between at least some of the fights?

You will level up between fights. And heal. And get all your spells and stuff back.

samduke
2023-12-24, 09:47 AM
I'm utterly uninvested in your choices of race. It's perhaps worth noting, you're going to fight against a bunch of Christmas-themed stuff. You're welcome to be an imitator, but Santa is the BBEG. :smallbiggrin:

yeah I changed it to human, so no biggy

Albinobrow
2023-12-24, 11:01 AM
I'll be making the.. the... the...

THE GRINCH!

Hobgoblin sneaky guy! Rogue or ninja or Alchemist

I'll flesh out details but that's where my head is at now.

Triskavanski
2023-12-24, 11:41 AM
Going to need to think just a little more on this. But kinda thinking Improvised weapon Occultist.

Ancient
2023-12-24, 12:07 PM
Expressing interest as Mick Clane (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2864871), a hapless halfling constable/menace from Nakatomi village caught up in the calamity while at a Christmas party looking for his ex-wife.

Yas392
2023-12-24, 03:13 PM
Half-Elf Impersonating Elf Worker from Santa's Factory sheet (https://og.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2864913) using improvised weapons.

Are we using feat tax? What kind of enemies are we fighting (Need to know so that I can add the language to trade barbs with enemies)?

Farmerbink
2023-12-24, 03:34 PM
Half-Elf Impersonating Elf Worker from Santa's Factory sheet (https://og.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2864913) using improvised weapons.

Are we using feat tax? What kind of enemies are we fighting (Need to know so that I can add the language to trade barbs with enemies)?

No feat tax house rules are in play. Enemies will be... um... Christmas themed. XD

The first few rounds will include humanoids, animals, and elementals. :smallbiggrin::smallcool:

I haven't fleshed out anything past that.

Albinobrow
2023-12-24, 05:08 PM
Here's the beginning of the Grinch (https://og.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2864951)!

Yas392
2023-12-24, 07:09 PM
No feat tax house rules are in play. Enemies will be... um... Christmas themed. XD

The first few rounds will include humanoids, animals, and elementals. :smallbiggrin::smallcool:

I haven't fleshed out anything past that.

Hmm, so a choice of auran, aquan, celestial, sylvan from what I read.

Since Santa is BBEG, I guess my character will throw his toys as improvised weapon at him. :smalltongue:

Triskavanski
2023-12-24, 08:05 PM
dang. The things I was thinking of had been taken as I looked more into how to do what I wanted.

zlefin
2023-12-24, 08:27 PM
I thought of the start of inspiration for an idea for this, but I'm not yet sure if I can get it to work, let alone make a character out of it.

Basically it's riffing on the green lantern oath with a coal miner theme instead, cuz of giving coal to bad kids/evildoers. But I haven't been able to fill out the oath yet, let alone figure out how to make the character; so if someone else figures out a good way and runs with it, by all means.

'bituminous and anthracite' - a good opening line, fits the cadence, established coal theme. after that I've had a harder time.

no wicked child? - a passable fragment, though whether its fits into the rest will vary.

'receive my coal on christmas night' - finally got an ending tha'ts onpoint, after brainstorming awhile. so 3rd line has to reference the wicked. could replace coal with 'work' or something, since the character is a coal miner.

I could just copy the mid 2 lines of the green lantern oath, but that seems a bit weak. Gonna keep tryin to come up with a proper new set of 2 mid lines.

DarkOne-Rob
2023-12-25, 04:28 PM
In before someone else takes it -

I am claiming Jack from The Nightmare Before Christmas!

I'm not sure what he will be yet, but I've got ([Evil]/"scary") ideas!

Work-in-progress ideas: either a Dhampir or Half-Orc (very, very thin) Tattooed Sorcerer (Undead Bloodline, with Bloodline Familiar, maybe?) 1, Dirge Bard 1 with Memorable (Social Trait) and Adopted--->Fiery Glare (Ifrit Racial Trait). This gets me an "undead" familiar dog (Zero) and the necessary singing and spells to start playing. From there, things get...complicated.
All I need now is equipment. Otherwise Jack Skellington (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2864685) is good to go!

Yas392
2023-12-25, 06:06 PM
Mana (https://og.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2864913) is complete except for the cost of toys which needs arbitration unless they cost a pebble.

Farmerbink
2023-12-25, 09:20 PM
Alrighty. I hate the inevitable leaving-out that happens at this stage, but it's the nature of the game I suppose.

DarkOne, Albinobrow, Ancient, and Llayarden, get in here! (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?663268-Bink-s-Christmas-Brawl)