PDA

View Full Version : Lore bard build help, insane stats and homebrew rules

Klorox
2023-12-23, 09:51 PM
I know I have another thread ( [url=https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?662720-Getting-the-most-out-of-a-LORE-BARD-as-possible&p=25927733&posted=1#post25927733) asking about lore bards, but now I have more info on my character.

First of all, allow me to toss in a disclaimer: I know there’s no wrong way to play D&D, but I’ve never played D&D in almost 40 years like this.

My starting stats are: 18/18/16/16/15/13, arrange how I’d like.

Free feat at level 1, no variant human, no custom lineage.

Tasha’s flexible ability bonuses are allowed (so a mountain dwarf can put +2 into CHA instead of STR, for instance).

Free mark of scribing (no stat bonus from it though).

Start at level 5.

My only rules are to make a single classed bard.

Backstory for the campaign includes there are no wizards in the world due to the study of magic being lost after some ancient war. This character has put together bits and pieces of legend and lore to realize that magic can be studied and learned, and he wants to bring this study back into the world. He was given this mark of scribing when exposed to a magical crystal and was then teleported by a wizard, something he never thought he’d see.

I imagine him being an Indiana Jones kind of character with an interest in the arcane instead of generic archaeology.

So, I don’t have a background picked out or a race.

I know a lot of people recommend taking moderately armored, but I might save myself that feat by going mountain dwarf or tortle to gain the AC needed.

I’m very interested in the fey touched feat (gift of alacrity? Command?), inspiring leader, telekinetic, and maybe magic initiate (sorcerer). Bountiful luck is awesome if I go halfling. If I choose fey touched and telekinetic off the bat, one of my 18’s becomes a 20 CHA without me having to boost the stat with my racial bonus. IJS.

Any and all help is appreciated. TIA.

CTurbo
2023-12-23, 11:20 PM
I know I have another thread ( [url=https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?662720-Getting-the-most-out-of-a-LORE-BARD-as-possible&p=25927733&posted=1#post25927733) asking about lore bards, but now I have more info on my character.

First of all, allow me to toss in a disclaimer: I know there’s no wrong way to play D&D, but I’ve never played D&D in almost 40 years like this.

Tasha’s flexible ability bonuses are allowed (so a mountain dwarf can put +2 into CHA instead of STR, for instance).

Start at level 5.

Backstory for the campaign includes there are no wizards in the world due to the study of magic being lost after some ancient war. This character has put together bits and pieces of legend and lore to realize that magic can be studied and learned, and he wants to bring this study back into the world. He was given this mark of scribing when exposed to a magical crystal and was then teleported by a wizard, something he never thought he’d see.

I imagine him being an Indiana Jones kind of character with an interest in the arcane instead of generic archaeology.

I know a lot of people recommend taking moderately armored, but I might save myself that feat by going mountain dwarf or tortle to gain the AC needed.

I’m very interested in the fey touched feat (gift of alacrity? Command?), inspiring leader, telekinetic, and maybe magic initiate (sorcerer). Bountiful luck is awesome if I go halfling. If I choose fey touched and telekinetic off the bat, one of my 18’s becomes a 20 CHA without me having to boost the stat with my racial bonus. IJS.

Awesome stats! Honestly, with stats like that, I wouldn't even be concerned with trying to go out of your way to get medium armor. 20 Dex + Studded Leather is the same AC as Tortle's 17.

You seem to already know what you want so just start with Fey Touched and Telekentic like you want. It'd be great. Just take the Sage background and choose any race you want.

I would personally go Half-Elf, Sage, with Ritual Caster(Wiz) and Magic Initiative(Wiz), as this would fit the theme of your character, IMO, better than anything else. I would probably then take Res(Con) at level 8.
To me, that would be an extremely effective character that would be the ultimate skill/utility solo class character.

Silly Name
2023-12-24, 05:52 AM
Well, you can literally start with a 20 in CHA due to your rolled stats and race bonuses, and you'll have high CON, DEX, INT and WIS anyways, and I suppose you'll put the 13 in STR.

This means you can quite literally spend every single ASI on feats! Excellent!

I'd do the following...

Rock Gnome (+2 CHA, +1 INT), Lore Bard 5, Archeologist Background (from Tomb on Annihilation, take whichever language suits your fancy)

Extra Feat: Fey Touched (+1 INT; Identify)

Level 4 ASI: Linguist (Draconic, Primordial, Sylvan)

Skill Proficiencies: Acrobatics, Arcana*, Atlethics, Deception, History*, Insight, Persuasion, Survival

(* is for Expertise)

Final Ability Scores: STR 13, DEX 16, CON 16, INT 18, WIS 18, CHA 20

The world is your oyster, buddy. I'd grab Ritual Caster as my next feat, to better use Identify and other divination rituals conductive to your research. You can speak most languages related to magic, and your Mark of Scribing lets you understand those that you don't already speak.

KorvinStarmast
2023-12-24, 11:07 AM

Start at level 5.

Hill Dwarf.
Background Criminal/Spy Variant (see PHB)
Thieves Tools + (dice/cards?) deception and stealth Skills
Fey Touched? I'd suggest Hunter's Mark or Bless as the bonus spell. Move your Wisdom from 15 to 16 with the +1.
+2 cha to start
ASI at 4: resilient Con or resilient Wis.
Pick which saving throw you'd rather boost.
13 Str.
You have medium armor proficiency.

S 13 D 18 C 16 I 16 W 15+1 +1 Ch 18+2
S 13 D 18 C 16 I 16 W 17 Ch 20

If I choose fey touched and telekinetic off the bat,
Also a good idea, which allows you to boost another stat by 2.
s 13 D 18 C 18 I 15 W 15+1 Ch 18 +1 +1