PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A (By RAW) V

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-02-25, 09:26 AM
A. 537

As spell-like abilities they cannot be identified when used, but their effects can possibly be recognized when they are in effect.

Kioran
2008-02-25, 11:33 AM
Q 538
Do Monsters which advance by HD, for example a Dire Wolf or an Otyugh or whatever, gain ability score increases all 4 HD? I think they should, but RAW is not wholly explicit on the matter, and examples seem to contradict each other.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-02-25, 11:46 AM
A. 538

Yes they do, ability increases for the HD they have in their base statistics block are already reflected in there and thus they only receive extra from additional increases.

Ability Score Improvement: Treat monster Hit Dice the same as character level for determining ability score increases. This only applies to Hit Dice increases, monsters do not gain ability score increases for levels they “already reached” with their racial Hit Dice, since these adjustments are included in their basic ability scores.

Jeramiahh
2008-02-25, 06:29 PM
Q. 539

Can someone be repeatedly affected by the same dragon's Fear Aura, if they fail their save(s)? Such that, after three failures, the victim becomes panicked? Or does the aura only work once, even on a failed save?

SamTheCleric
2008-02-25, 07:07 PM
Q. 540

When using the Shadow Blade feat from Tome of Battle, do you apply the full dexterity bonus to an off-hand weapon while two weapon fighting? Does the damage stack with your strength bonus? Would it stack with a champion of corel's dexterity to damage?

(all probably answered before. :smalltongue: )

Dode
2008-02-25, 08:46 PM
Q 541: Empowered Awaken (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/awaken.htm): Permanent Int bonus a "variable, numeric effect" of the spell or no?

Vazzaroth
2008-02-25, 11:11 PM
A. 539

An individual subjected to any Frightful Presence is immune to the same creature's Presence for 24 hours, regardless of whether the save succeeds or not.

A. 540

By RAW, you add full damage for any of the preferred weapons, regardless of hand use. It does not replace strength, so yes it stacks. I have never heard of the Champion class feature.

In regards to balance, the feat is fairly balanced by the fact that all of the preferred weapons deal relatively low damage. The only exception is possibly Unarmed Strike.

A. 541

Yes, the Int bonus and Cha bonus are increased as they are random variables. The HD bonus does not.

Q. 542

When do Armor Spikes deal damage? Is it as part of the Grapple check not requiring a separate attack, or are they simply counted as a weapon usable in a grapple such as a dagger?

monty
2008-02-26, 12:46 AM
Q. 543
Does Weapon Finesse affect touch attacks (such as an Inflict spell)?

Vazzaroth
2008-02-26, 12:56 AM
A. 543

RAW, I do not belive that Touch Attacks have ever been classified into light weapons. Therefor, It's DM's descretion.

However, natural attacks are always light, and Touch attacks are similar to Naturals, so it would make sense to allow it.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-02-26, 02:35 AM
A. 539 Correction

The effects would overlap, not stack.

You do not become immune before you pass a save.

A potentially affected creature that succeeds on a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 dragon’s HD + dragon’s Cha modifier) remains immune to that dragon’s frightful presence for 24 hours.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-02-26, 02:37 AM
A. 542

Armor Spikes deal extra damage on a successful grapple check, but can also be used as a light weapon.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-02-26, 02:39 AM
A. 543

Touch attacks are considered light weapons for this purpose and eligible for the benefits of Weapon Finesse.

(Complete Arcane, page 73)

SoD
2008-02-26, 03:49 AM
Q. 544

What are the racial bonuses/penalties for a lesser aasimir?

Q. 545

Does weapon finesse let you use your dex. modifier, or does it make you use it? For example, if you have weapon finesse, and a poison lowers your dexterity so it is now lower than your strength...

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-02-26, 03:55 AM
A. 544

+2 Wis and Cha IIRC.

A. 545

You are free to choose, Weapon Finesse just adds the option.

SoD
2008-02-26, 03:58 AM
Q. 544 expanded

But do they get any other nifty abilities similar to the one from MM? Or just the ability modifiers?

Bayar
2008-02-26, 04:04 AM
Q 546

Would a large two handed weapon (greatsword) wielded by a medium character have a threat range of 10 feet?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-02-26, 04:04 AM
A. 544 Continued.

They can be found in PgtF I believe.

They are only LA +0, so they have of course lost some of their outsider qualities. (Which also can have its benefits.)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-02-26, 04:06 AM
A. 546

No, reach is determined by the wielder and whether it is a reach weapon.

Vazzaroth
2008-02-26, 10:15 AM
Q. 542 Continued

Does it deal damage for every grapple check, or just the first one used to initiate the grapple? Such as the opposed grapple checks needed to pin your opponent, escape, or draw a light weapon

Duke of URL
2008-02-26, 10:16 AM
Q 547

Is there a feat or class ability that allows you to cast a spell or use a spell-like ability as an Attack of Opportunity?

SoD
2008-02-26, 10:27 AM
Q. 458 Weapon Finesse (again). Can I apply it to a light weapon I'm not proficient in (namely the handaxe, in this paticular example)?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-02-26, 10:30 AM
A. 542 Continued

The description could have been more clear, but you deal the armor spikes damage in place of your normal damage every time you attempt to use the damage your opponent option. Other successful grapple checks, such as drawing a light weapon, does not qualify.

On what kinds of successful grapple checks do armor
spikes deal damage?

The damage from armor spikes is dealt when you make a
successful grapple check made for the purpose of dealing
damage (the “Damage Your Opponent” option, PH 156).

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-02-26, 10:31 AM
A. 547

There is an Epic feat called Spell Opportunity that allows it, but it is restricted to touch spells.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-02-26, 10:33 AM
A. 548

Yes, proficiency is not a requirement. You still take non-proficiency penalties of course.

SamTheCleric
2008-02-26, 10:39 AM
Q 540 - Continuation

I'd still like to know if the Dexterity to Damage from the Races of the Wild Prestige Class Champion of Corellon Larethian stacks with the Dexterity to damage from the Shadow Blade feat. I do not know if the bonuses have a type (I'm away from my books)... and if they are untyped they would be from two different sources.

I don't know why it's such a big deal, why would anyone ever want to make a Swordsage/Swashbuckler/Fighter/Champion of Corellon just to get Str+Int+Dex+Dex to damage.... :smalltongue:

RTGoodman
2008-02-26, 01:15 PM
Q 549

In the SRD, it says that if you try to cast from a scroll and have a CL lower than that of the scroll, you have to make a Caster Level check to be able to cast it. It gives the DC as "DC = scroll's caster level + 1." Is that correct, or is it a typo that's supposed to be "scroll's caster level + 10"?

CL+1 seems like it'd never be a problem (for the most part), and CL+10 seems like the normal DC for things, but I guess maybe it's different for just this rule.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-02-26, 01:31 PM
A. 549

It is not a typo.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-02-26, 01:35 PM
A. 540 Continued

It stacks. Two different sources.

Chronos
2008-02-26, 07:38 PM
A549 explanation: The DCs are designed so that a scroll that's only slightly above your level is very likely to work. So, for instance, a 4th-level caster attempting to use a CL 5 scroll would have a DC of 6, and thus need to roll a 2 or better, for a 95% chance of success. If we extrapolate the formula to the case where the user's CL is equal to or greater than that of the scroll, we find that even though it's not really applicable to that case, it still gives the correct answer (that the user has a 100% chance of success).

Maulrus
2008-02-27, 12:06 AM
Q 550 When playing a monster PC, does the CON mod apply to HP from racial HP? Like if my CON mod if +4, is 7d8 racial HD actually 7d8+24?

Q 551 How are ability increases done with monster PC's? For example, my Rakasha is ECL 16 (racial HD 7, level adjustment 7, Sorcerer 2). Do I get one ability increase from my seven levels in Outsider, two increases from my levels in Outsider/Sorcerer, four from my ECL of 16, or something else?

Winged One
2008-02-27, 12:18 AM
Q 550 When playing a monster PC, does the CON mod apply to HP from racial HD? Like if my CON mod if +4, is 7d8 racial HD actually 7d8+24?
Assuming my spelling correction is what you meant to type, yes.

Gralamin
2008-02-27, 12:19 AM
A 550 Yes

A 551
Ability score increases and feats are based off of your Hit dice. Thus your Outsider and Sorcerer Hit Dice total determines when you gain ability score increases and feats (Every 4 and every 3 respectively)

Maulrus
2008-02-27, 12:45 AM
Q 552 What is the average amount of gold for a 16th level character?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-02-27, 01:52 AM
A. 550 Addendum.

4x7 = 28

A. 551 Addendum.

You only get ability increases for any further HD you get. The 7 racial HD already include one ability increase and as a player you do not get that one also, because it is already reflected in the base stats.

You get a new increase when you take your first level and have 8 HD total.

See also A. 538

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-02-27, 01:58 AM
A. 552

WBL can be found on page 135 of the DMG.

Winged One
2008-02-27, 02:20 AM
A. 550 Addendum.

4x7 = 28
*offers butter as tribute to make up for rashness in not checking the math*

Kioran
2008-02-27, 06:58 AM
Q. 553

Assuming I can advance a Worg Cohort, gained through Leadership, with Racial HD (which I think I can), would it increase in size with it´s 7th HD, and would it´s LA be affected in any way?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-02-27, 07:43 AM
A. 553

Cohorts advance by gaining xp, which do not grant racial HD unless you are using a racial progression.

Kioran
2008-02-27, 09:04 AM
A. 553

Cohorts advance by gaining xp, which do not grant racial HD unless you are using a racial progression.

Q. 553, continued

Even if the creature is of a kind that normally advances by Hit Dice rather than class levels a PC can gain class levels rather than Hit Dice.

Bolded for emphasis. To me, that means they are not forced to advance by class lvl unless specified in their entry. Unless I am mistaken, since HD also effect ECL, some Monster can advance by racial HD as well, and would, if their racial HD reach a certain threshold, increase in size by RAW.
Is there are quote that clarifies this or contradicts my interpretation?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-02-27, 11:04 AM
A. 553

I do not think that it is contradicted.

The size increase does not change LA. (You can look at it as compensation for dragging RHD around)

SamTheCleric
2008-02-27, 11:07 AM
Q. 534

What Happens to an Alienist Familiar upon taking a level in the Fleshwarper prestige class? (Alienest turns your familiar into an outsider with many benefits, Fleshwarper turns your familiar into an Aberration with many benefits). If there are no rules regarding this... that is a sufficient answer... :smallwink:

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-02-27, 01:09 PM
A. 534

According to Savage Species, which is recognized by the 3.5 FAQ, the Outsider type takes precedence over the other types, so your familiar would still gain the benefits from Flesh Warper, but would retain its Outsider type.

Glyphic
2008-02-27, 07:46 PM
Q535
When using spectral hand to deliver touch attacks, could a character also use martial strikes to augment the attack?

(...cuz, if so, my mage is so learning clever positioning, Enlarge spell, and fly/levitate)

Aranai
2008-02-27, 09:54 PM
Q.536 : Could someone please explain D&D Challenge Ratings to me? I just blatantly don't understand them. T__T

Chronos
2008-02-27, 10:22 PM
A 536: Challenge rating has (almost) no direct mechanical effect, and exists primarily as a guideline for the DM. A character with a standard race and PC class has a challenge rating equal to his level, and a creature of a given challenge rating is supposed to be a good encounter for a party of four characters of that level. The creature is theoretically approximately the equal of a single one of the characters, so the idea is that the party will probably win the fight (having a four to one advantage), but it's at least tough enough that they can't just breeze through. Significant enemies (the final boss of an adventure or campaign) can have challenge ratings a few higher than the level of the party, since the party should have to work harder to defeat them. The challenge rating of the creature and the level of the party determine how much experience the encounter is worth, via a table in the DMG (which is not Open Game Content).

Wowbagger
2008-02-27, 11:23 PM
Q.537 : Domain Spells

With access to two domain spells at a given spell level, a cleric prepares one or the other each day in his domain spell slot.

Does this mean that its not possible to apply a metamagic feat to spells in domain 'slots'? Can you prepare a lower level domain spell in the domain 'slot'?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-02-28, 02:01 AM
A. 535

No, I am afraid such a use is out of the question.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-02-28, 02:03 AM
A. 537

The text seems to prohibit applications of metamagic that require you to prepare the spell at a higher level at least.

Moribundus
2008-02-28, 03:19 AM
Q. 538 Can anyone explain precisely how the point-buy stat system works?

I've been poring over the online SRD WoTC's site; I found no info in the PHB in regards to it either -- I've always just rolled 4d6 - lowest, but I'm about to join a game and the DM said 28 point buy.

Thanks

also, would it be possible for whoever answers that question to send me a pm in regards to it.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-02-28, 03:29 AM
A. 538

The information is hiding in the DMG and is not Open Game Content.

SoD
2008-02-28, 03:40 AM
I beleive there to be a feat: ranged smite. Where is it found please?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-02-28, 03:44 AM
A. 539

I beleive there to be a feat: ranged smite. Where is it found please?

Book of Exalted Deeds.

Charity
2008-02-28, 06:31 AM
Q. 538Can anyone explain precisely how the point-buy stat system works?

A. 538
The information is hiding in the DMG and is not Open Game Content.

If one were to suggest Googleing the phrase 'point buy calculator' one wouldn't be breaking any forum rules.

theterran
2008-02-28, 03:54 PM
Q540

The feat Travel Devotion allows you to move up to your speed as a swift action. Does this swift action provoke an AoO if applicable?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-02-28, 04:02 PM
A. 540

Yes, only swift action spells are explicitly exempt.

SamTheCleric
2008-02-28, 10:47 PM
Q. 541

More Fleshwarper Fun!

If a fledgling fleshwarper were to take the Aberrant Blood feat and go on to take another Aberrant feat... would he lose access to both feats when his type changes to Aberration since Humanoid is the prerequisite for Aberrant Blood?

Asmodeus
2008-02-28, 11:05 PM
Q. 541

More Fleshwarper Fun!

If a fledgling fleshwarper were to take the Aberrant Blood feat and go on to take another Aberrant feat... would he lose access to both feats when his type changes to Aberration since Humanoid is the prerequisite for Aberrant Blood?

A 541

A character can’t use a feat if he or she has lost a prerequisite.

Reference Link: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#prerequisites

Theli
2008-02-29, 07:48 AM
Q. 542

Are creatures incapable of doing the move expected by grapple (where they move into an opponent's square on success) if they took a 5-foot step earlier that turn?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-02-29, 07:56 AM
A. 452

No, it is a special exception.

To maintain the grapple for later rounds, you must move into the target’s space. (This movement is free and doesn’t count as part of your movement in the round.)

Kompera
2008-02-29, 10:00 AM
Q. 543

The charge maneuver states, in part:

Attacking on a Charge

After moving, you may make a single melee attack. You get a +2 bonus on the attack roll and take a -2 penalty to your AC until the start of your next turn.

A charging character gets a +2 bonus on the Strength check made to bull rush an opponent.

Even if you have extra attacks, such as from having a high enough base attack bonus or from using multiple weapons, you only get to make one attack during a charge.

Does the limitation on additional attacks apply to those granted from Feats such as Cleave?

Q. 544
Can someone please post a link to the Wizards D&D FAQ I've seen referenced afew times in this Q&A thread? I've found their 'Sage Advice', but it doesn't have any Q&A which covered my charge/cleave question, and the location of the FAQ eludes me...

Edit: A 544: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4dnd/20071029a

Ogh_the_Second
2008-02-29, 10:20 AM
A 543
No - they're just using a roundabout way of saying "single attack, no full attack". Feats such as Cleave apply normally.

Kompera
2008-02-29, 11:08 AM
A 543
No - they're just using a roundabout way of saying "single attack, no full attack". Feats such as Cleave apply normally.

I agree. My GM does not. I appreciate the reply, but is there anything in the rules which supports my position?

Ogh_the_Second
2008-02-29, 11:29 AM
I agree. My GM does not. I appreciate the reply, but is there anything in the rules which supports my position?

I can really only find circumstancial evidence - maybe the eye tyrant can be more specific. Anyway, the SRD provides on Attacks of opportunity:

An attack of opportunity is a single melee attack, and you can only make one per round.
(my emphasis)

Note the identical wording: "A single melee attack".

The FAQ provides on cleaving while executing an AoO:

If an attack of opportunity drops a foe, can the attacker
then make a follow-up Cleave attack?
Yes. (...)

So, as you can cleave on the AoO "single melee attack", it stand to reason that you can also do so on the charge "single melee attack".

Additionally, the FAQ says:

When a character with 0 hp and the Cleave feat drops a
foe with an attack, does he drop to –1 hp before or after he
makes the extra attack? What if he has Great Cleave?
The extra attack granted by the Cleave feat counts as part
of the same action used to drop the foe. (...)

I say - 1 and 1 is 2.

Finally - and this falls back on reading of law - I would deem the charge rule to be "the general rule", and the feat rule to be the exception. In such cases the specific rule trumps the general rule if applicable. But this may not sound convincing to you or your DM.

Wowbagger
2008-02-29, 12:13 PM
Q. 544 knowledge checks

From knowledge skill in the srd

Action: Usually none. In most cases, making a Knowledge check doesn’t take an action—you simply know the answer or you don’t.

How do knowledge checks work? Specifically, can a PC prepare before making one or is it purely a check of inherent memory?

Rognar has just discovered he will be facing a vampire in a few days and tries to recall what he knows of their special powers and vulnerabilities. Does he instantly make a knowledge (religion) check (ranks+int bonus) or can he choose to do some preparation first? Can he pick up a copy of ‘Braddock’s Big Book of the Undead’ (a masterwork tool for knowledge(religion)), cast some spells (heroism and ancient knowledge), have an artificer infuse his hat with skill enhancement for knowledge(religion), have a bard sing a song inspiring competence and then make the check?

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-29, 12:24 PM
A 544

As presented in the SRD entry, a Knowledge check is purely by memory. The core rules don't provide any means for changing this, and I'm not aware of any official splatbooks that adequately address using Knowledge skills any other way. The closest I can find is the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook book lots for libraries, which can grant a +2 circumstance bonus to certain knowledge checks.

Non-RAW advice follows:

That said, there are a number of people, including myself, that have felt the situation requires a bit more tweaking.

I have homebrewed a general guideline system for specific books that can potentially be used alongside book lots. I generally also allow retrying via taking 10 if the original check was made in a situation that didn't allow you to take 10 to address certain iniquities.

In short, I heartily recommend tweaking with the system hear.

ski309
2008-02-29, 01:15 PM
Q 545

Are there bonuses to tumbling through a prone enemy's space? If not, what in the rules stops me from moving through that character's space regardless of my tumble check?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-02-29, 01:18 PM
A. 545

No, there are no bonuses.

You can only move through an opponents space if it is helpless.

Opponent: You can’t move through a square occupied by an opponent, unless the opponent is helpless. You can move through a square occupied by a helpless opponent without penalty. (Some creatures, particularly very large ones, may present an obstacle even when helpless. In such cases, each square you move through counts as 2 squares.)

Or of disproportionate size.

Square Occupied by Creature Three Sizes Larger or Smaller: Any creature can move through a square occupied by a creature three size categories larger than it is.

A big creature can move through a square occupied by a creature three size categories smaller than it is.

Tortoise262
2008-02-29, 07:39 PM
Q. 546

Does a medium creature riding on a large mount incur attack and AC penalties when the mount squeezes into a 5-foot space?

TK-Squared
2008-02-29, 07:52 PM
Q. 547

If I am wielding a Fullblade as a large creature, can the size of the weapon be increased at no penalty?

If Powerful Build is then applied to this, can I wield a Fullblade at two categories larger than its original statistics?

If so, what would the damage be on both accounts?

I ask this due to the fact that it's listed as a "Huge" weapon that can be wielded by a medium sized wielder.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-01, 02:11 AM
A. 546

Yes. It is not covered explicitly, but it follows from the assumption of shared spaces during combat.

For simplicity, assume that you share your mount’s space during combat.

Squeezing: In some cases, you may have to squeeze into or through an area that isn’t as wide as the space you take up. You can squeeze through or into a space that is at least half as wide as your normal space. Each move into or through a narrow space counts as if it were 2 squares, and while squeezed in a narrow space you take a –4 penalty on attack rolls and a –4 penalty to AC.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-01, 02:32 AM
A. 547

The FullBlade out of the Arms & Equipment Guide is a 3.0 book. The rules for weapon sizes were changed (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0001.html) in the transition to 3.5, which causes the confusion.

If a large creature were to use the weapon you could increase the die-size by one and have the same conditions and limitations apply as if it were a medium creature.

Powerful Build would allow you to wield a larger version and if you are already large that means two increases from what is listed on the table. (It requires the proficiency of course and that you wield it two-handed).

Damage increases from

2d8 --> 3d8 --> 4d8.

The weapon is called an Ogre's Greatsword, so why not just use a Greatsword instead of this conversion between editions. :smallwink:

SoD
2008-03-01, 06:52 AM
Q. 548

{table=head]Level | BAB
1 | +0
2 | +1
3 | +2
4 | +3
5 | +3
6 | +4
7 | +5
8 | +6/+1
9 | +6/+1
10 | +7/+2
11 | +8/+3
12 | +9/+4
13 | +9/+4
14 | +10/+5
15 | +11/+6
16 | +12/+7
17 | +12/+7
18 | +13/+8
19 | +14/+9
20 | +15/10/+5
[/table]

In my expanded psionics PDF, this is the BAB progression for a Soulknife...shouldn't it look more like this (changes in bold and red)? Or do Soulknives (Soulknifes?) have some weird thing I don't know about? Or am I just making a stupid mistake a three year old could've made that I didn't notice due to lack of intelligence?

{table=head]Level | BAB
1 | +0
2 | +1
3 | +2
4 | +3
5 | +3
6 | +4
7 | +5
8 | +6/+1
9 | +6/+1
10 | +7/+2
11 | +8/+3
12 | +9/+4
13 | +9/+4
14 | +10/+5
15 | +11/+6/+1
16 | +12/+7/+2
17 | +12/+7/+2
18 | +13/+8/+3
19 | +14/+9/+4
20 | +15/10/+5
[/table]

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-01, 06:58 AM
A. 548

Your PDF version is in error.

They follow the standard rules for BAB an your edited version is correct.

Wraithy
2008-03-01, 01:27 PM
Q. 549

how many different checks would you need to tie someone's shoelaces together without them noticing? and how high would the DCs be?

Zincorium
2008-03-01, 03:02 PM
A. 549

Technically?

Hide (DC equals opposing spot check)
Move silently (DC equals opposing listen check)
Use rope (DC 10 for firm knot)

But the circumstantial penalties of doing so would put it out of reach for most characters, -15 or -20 would not be out of line, at least for the stealth checks. Alternately, you could make a case for bluff, but whether that would distract them long enough for you to make the use rope check too would be questionable.

Chronos
2008-03-01, 06:01 PM
You could probably also throw a Sleight of Hand check in there, to manipulate something in someone else's possession, with the same DC/opposed check as for picking a pocket. And I don't see how it merits a "practically impossible" modifier, given that real people really do tie other peoples' shoelaces together at times (rarely, but that's already covered by requiring three or four checks for it).

Kellus
2008-03-01, 06:43 PM
Q. 550

The Devoted Tracker feat in Complete Adventurer allows you to "designate your special mount as your animal companion". Furthermore, your mount "gains all the benefits of being both your special mount and your animal companion".

Does this allow you to select alternative forms for your special mount by dint of a high effective druid level, that being a "benefit of being your animal companion"?

Valentein
2008-03-01, 11:47 PM
Q. 551

If a template that increases challenge rating by a set (say, +2) is added to a monster with a challenge rating less than one (say, 1/6), what is the overall result? Does the challenge rating move up that number of steps (from 1/6 to 1/3) or does the challenge rating simply get added on (to become 2 1/6, rounded up to 3?)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-02, 02:47 AM
A. 550

No, but you could still choose other kinds of mounts from a high enough Paladin level.

You mount becomes your animal companion, not the other way around.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-02, 02:56 AM
A. 551

I don't think the rules are as clear as they could be, but I believe the intent is for the CR to increase by two steps rather than actually +2 for creatures with a CR less than one.

Adumbration
2008-03-02, 03:21 AM
Q 552

The dart thrower from Underdark. It says on the description that it can hold up to 3 darts at a time, and you can fire multiple darts from it in a full-round action. Does this mean that you can fire 3 darts as a full-round action at any time, or is the amount of darts dependent on BAB as usually?

SamTheCleric
2008-03-02, 09:25 AM
Q. 553 When using Divine Spellpower you make a turning check with a +3 bonus on top of any other normal bonuses you'd receive to your turning check. How does this interact with a phylactery of undead turning?

For instance, at 12th level with a Phylactery of Undead Turning, I turn as though I'm a 16th level cleric. That would mean on a roll of 10-12, I get "cleric's level", which is 16.

Does Divine Spellpower use that modified level as it's base?

Chrismith
2008-03-02, 11:54 AM
Q 552

The dart thrower from Underdark. It says on the description that it can hold up to 3 darts at a time, and you can fire multiple darts from it in a full-round action. Does this mean that you can fire 3 darts as a full-round action at any time, or is the amount of darts dependent on BAB as usually?

A 552

Dart Thruster: This spring-loaded weapon fires darts with great accuracy and force. Deep gnomes favor the dart thruster because it is a missile weapon, not a thrown weapon, so the wielder’s Strength score does not affect the damage roll. A dart thruster holds up to three darts at a time, and you can
fire multiple darts from it in a full attack action. Reloading the dart thruster is a move action that provokes attacks of opportunity.

Since it just says you can fire multiple darts, and not "you can fire all three darts as a full-round action" I would assume that the extra dart attacks are based on your BaB, as usual.

A 553

I'm not an expert, so someone else may correct me on this, but I would say that the Phylactery of Undead Turning doesn't do anything to Divine Spell Power, since it doesn't actually affect your turning check.

I.e., when you roll a turning check, your result is something like "Cleric Level +X". Divine Spell Power tells you to take that +X and apply it to your caster level. The phylactery boosts your effective cleric level for this check, but it doesn't do anything to the +X.

Really, the wording of Divine Spell Power is poor -- it says to "Treat the result of the turning check as a modifier to your caster level..." and if a 10th level Cleric rolled "Cleric level + 2" on the check, you could argue that the result of the check is 12, and that you should therefore get a +12 modifier to your caster level, which is clearly not the intent of the feat.

anjimaster
2008-03-02, 11:58 AM
554- , recently on a loot in an adventure I'm playing a +5 dancing longsword appeared , on it's description it's said that I can drop it , and it will fight for itself !

Q - Which bonus should I apply to it when attacking?? and , can I use other sword in my hand to make twice my normal attacks , assuming the longsword will attack as many times as it would in my hand??

Chrismith
2008-03-02, 12:14 PM
554- , recently on a loot in an adventure I'm playing a +5 dancing longsword appeared , on it's description it's said that I can drop it , and it will fight for itself !

Q - Which bonus should I apply to it when attacking?? and , can I use other sword in my hand to make twice my normal attacks , assuming the longsword will attack as many times as it would in my hand??

A 554

The item's description can be found in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#dancing):

As a standard action, a dancing weapon can be loosed to attack on its own. It fights for 4 rounds using the base attack bonus of the one who loosed it and then drops. While dancing, it cannot make attacks of opportunity, and the person who activated it is not considered armed with the weapon. In all other respects, it is considered wielded or attended by the creature for all maneuvers and effects that target items. While dancing, it takes up the same space as the activating character and can attack adjacent foes (weapons with reach can attack opponents up to 10 feet away). The dancing weapon accompanies the person who activated it everywhere, whether she moves by physical or magical means. If the wielder who loosed it has an unoccupied hand, she can grasp it while it is attacking on its own as a free action; when so retrieved the weapon can’t dance (attack on its own) again for 4 rounds.

So you start it dancing as a standard action, and for the next 4 rounds it will attack on its own using your Base Attack Bonus -- including multiple attacks, if applicable. Since you're not holding the weapon anymore, you could then draw another weapon and continue fighting while it attacks, essentially getting double the number of attacks per round.

Awetugiw
2008-03-02, 12:32 PM
A553. The Phylactery of Undead Turning has no effect on Divine Spell Power. The phylactery only increases your turn level, and Divine Spell Power only uses the turn check, which is independent of turn level.

Divine Spell Power gives a bonus to your caster level equal to the modifier you would get to your turn level you would have had with this result.

An example: suppose your caster level and cleric level is 12, and your turning check is 16. A turning check of 16 results in a +2 level bonus, so the caster level for the spell would be 14. If you would turn undead with a turn check of 16, you would turn undead with up to 14 HD.

If this cleric obtains a Phylactry of Undead Turning, he would turn undead with up to 18 HD, but would still only have a caster level of 14 for his next spell.

anjimaster
2008-03-02, 01:06 PM
Still 554

But , how does it move , it can move freely as another character, can I send it , dunno , to protect the mage??

will it get my STR bonus, or feats for improved damage and attack hit?

can it be... attacked? o_O

can I use it to FLANK my opp?

I still have questions but your answer has already helped me a lot , thank you very much Chrismith ^^

Jimp
2008-03-02, 01:13 PM
Q. 555
If you have the Tomb Tainted Soul feat (Libris Mortis) do ALL negative energy effects heal instead of harm? Such as negative levels from an undead creature.

Awetugiw
2008-03-02, 01:27 PM
A554b

But , how does it move , it can move freely as another character, can I send it , dunno , to protect the mage??
The weapon cannot move freely, it shares the space of the caster:

While dancing, it takes up the same space as the activating character and can attack adjacent foes (weapons with reach can attack opponents up to 10 feet away). The dancing weapon accompanies the person who activated it everywhere, whether she moves by physical or magical means.

will it get my STR bonus, or feats for improved damage and attack hit?
This is addressed in the faq:

When releasing a dancing weapon (Dungeon Master’s
Guide, 224), what attack modifier does it use? Does it attack
on the round it is released?
The dancing weapon uses its owner’s base attack bonus and
its enhancement bonus, but it doesn’t get any of its owner’s
other attack modifiers (such as his Strength modifier, Weapon
Focus, and so on).
The dancing weapon makes a full attack (with multiple
attacks if the owner’s base attack bonus is +6 or higher) each
round, starting on the round it is released.

can it be... attacked? o_O
Not really. It is considered to be wielded by you for anything that tries to target it. It could be sundered, and some spells work on it, but it cannot be normally attacked, and won't suffer from, say, a fireball:

In all other respects, it is considered wielded or attended by the creature for all maneuvers and effects that target items.

can I use it to FLANK my opp?
No, since it shares your space. Also, the weapon can make no attacks of opportunity, so it doesn't give a flanking bonus to others either.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-02, 01:43 PM
A. 555

No, negative levels do not have a healing effect.

However, a sneak attack with an energy drain attack would heal in addition to causing the negative level(s).

SoD
2008-03-03, 01:08 AM
Q. 556 Is there a goblin paragon anywhere?

Q. 557 I know that zombies can't move and attack in the same round, but does that apply to five foot steps as well?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-03, 02:11 AM
A. 556

I don't think so.

A. 557

No, it just means that they cannot take a move action and a standard action, the 5-foot step is still alright.

Tura
2008-03-03, 11:42 AM
Q. 558
ToB says that you can "give to the swordsage the monk's unarmed strike progression and remove his light armor proficiency". Would that be the monk's Unarmed Strike class ability with all the benefits [full Strength bonus on damage for off-hand attacks, nonlethal damage with no penalty, treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon (read : finessable)]?
Or is it just the unarmed strike's damage progression, using Swordsage levels instead of Monk levels to determine damage?

Q. 558b
If it's with all the benefits, can you apply the Shadow Blade feat to unarmed strike and gain full dex bonus to damage on all attacks?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-03, 12:05 PM
A. 558

Yes, "all" that is also included.

However, everyone can apply weapon finesse to their unarmed strikes whether they are monks.

A. 558b

Yes, but again, this is already the case regardless of monk abilities, since unarmed strikes are Shadow Hand weapons.

esoteric scribe
2008-03-03, 03:06 PM
Q. 559

What would the cost (both gold and XP) be to create the following staff:
Caster Level 15
Prismatic Spray (3 charges) 7th level spell
Prismatic Ray (2 charges) 5th level spell
Prismatic Mist (1 charge) 3rd level spell

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-03, 03:26 PM
A. 559

The formula looks like this:

Base price + MW quarterstaff

= (375 x 7 x 15)/3 + (281.25 x 5 x 15)/2 + (187.5 x 3 x 15) + 300

= 32409 gp

XP cost:

Base price/25 = 1285 xp (rounded up)

375 gp x the level of the highest-level spell x the level of the caster, plus 75% of the value of the next most costly ability (281.25 gp x the level of the spell x the level of the caster), plus one-half of the value of any other abilities (187.5 gp x the level of the spell x the level of the caster) ...

If desired, a spell can be placed into the staff at only half the normal cost, but then activating that particular spell costs 2 charges from the staff.

Assuming no material costs of casting, which I did not check, but I do not recall any.
However, if there are any you must pay the costs (both gp and xp) for casting the spell 50 times divided by the number of charges one use of the spell expends.

Scintillatus
2008-03-03, 08:08 PM
Q. 560

Is there a Monk variant, feat or PrC that uses Charisma as it's primary stat?

martyboy74
2008-03-03, 09:06 PM
A. 560

Ascetic Mage (CAdv) allows you to use your charisma bonus to AC. It also allow you to stack your monk and spontaneous arcane caster levels for the bonus. Unfortunately, you have to be able to spontaneously cast 2nd levels arcane spells to qualify.

theterran
2008-03-04, 11:15 AM
Q. 561

Is there a special feat required to attack an opponent while hiding and continue hiding, or do you just take a penalty on the hide check after the attack?

Rad
2008-03-04, 11:30 AM
A 561
Short answer: No, but you need a tough skill check to pull it off.

It is all explained in the sniping section in the hide skill description.

Sniping
If you’ve already successfully hidden at least 10 feet from your target, you can make one ranged attack, then immediately hide again. You take a -20 penalty on your Hide check to conceal yourself after the shot.

Normally, you make a Hide check as part of movement, so it doesn’t take a separate action. However, hiding immediately after a ranged attack (see Sniping, above) is a move action.

There are feats in Races of the Wild to reduce those penalties.

Adumbration
2008-03-04, 11:50 AM
Q. 562

Playing a 12th level psion, how many powers known do I have of each level?

Is it 5 first level powers, 4 second level, 4 third, 4 fourth, 4 fifth and 3 sixth level?

Q. 563

What race has the highest racial bonus to intelligence and the lowest LA?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-04, 12:25 PM
A. 562

Assuming you always choose the highest level power possible, yes.

Chronos
2008-03-04, 05:21 PM
A 563: Grey elves (and possibly a few other elf varieties) have +2 Int with no LA. I'm reasonably certain that there is no race with +4 int and no LA.

For races with LA, it's a matter of how much is acceptable. Whatever creature has the highest int, it almost certainly also has a huge LA and/or RHD (probably an Outsider or Dragon).

Zen Master
2008-03-04, 06:20 PM
Q: 564

Bull rush and charge.

It appears to me that these two combine in ways that are somewhat ambiguous. Bull rush is either a standard action, or part of a charge. Charge is a full round action, but allows an attack.

So if I combine bull rush and charge - do I still get to attack?

AKA_Bait
2008-03-04, 06:27 PM
Q 565:

Does the level +3 limitation on skills apply to the Speak Language skill since you are not technically buying 'ranks'?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-04, 06:28 PM
A. 564

No you do not get to attack while making a charging bull rush, but you do get the other benefits and drawbacks of charging.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-04, 06:30 PM
A. 565

No the limitation has no meaning for that "skill" since, as you say, you are not actually buying ranks in it.

Matthew
2008-03-04, 07:08 PM
A. 565

No the limitation has no meaning for that "skill" since, as you say, you are not actually buying ranks in it.

I believe that you are in error here. The line on p. 62 strongly suggests to me that Ranks are a theoretical maximum, as well as an actual maximum: "You may spend the number of skill points it takes to max out the skill, provided that you have that many skill points to spend." Speak Languages can be 'maxed out', just like any other skill. The limit on ranks is also the limit on the number of Skill Points that may be spent [i.e. "If you want to pick up a new skill for your character, you can spend skill points equal to his or her character level +3."]

Bearing in mind that Skill Points are not the same thing as Ranks.

Curmudgeon
2008-03-04, 08:28 PM
A 561 additional information

Sniping applies only to ranged attacks, so that's only a partial answer. You can also Hide while making melee attacks.

It’s practically impossible (-20 penalty) to hide while attacking, running or charging. A form of Hide in Plain Sight (there are at least 3 different abilities with this name) can help to satisfy the conditions required to Hide in melee combat (not being observed, and cover/concealment), as can various spells (Darkness and Ebon Eyes, for example), and the Bluff skill to create a diversion. None of these are feats.

Also note that you can also "Hide while making melee attacks" for ranged attacks without using the Sniping rules. The penalty (-20) is the same, but the requirements to Hide are different, so you could make ranged full attacks -- if you continue to meet the Hide skill requirements, of course.

Nohwl
2008-03-04, 10:48 PM
Q. 566 Can i use sudden maximize after a spell hits a target but before i roll damage, or does it have to be used before i make the attack roll?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-05, 02:37 AM
A. 566

You have to use it before you start the actual casting.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-05, 02:47 AM
A. 565 Continued

But since you are not actually buying ranks all the text you refer to do is to limit the number of languages you can obtain at each level, it still does not affect the max, since every time you gain a new level you still do not have ranks in this "skill". :smallamused:

Now if the rules were to be consistent I would have to agree with you that your interpretation is RAI, but this non-skill is anything but consistent. It is simply a way of converting skill points to languages.

theterran
2008-03-05, 09:18 AM
Q. 567

The SpellThief Class uses Cha to cast its spells out of its spell list, however, do you need a specific Cha mod to cast stolen spells?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-05, 09:23 AM
A. 567

No.

(Complete Adventurer, Steal spell, 4th paragraph, page 16)

theterran
2008-03-05, 09:26 AM
A. 567

No.

(Complete Adventurer, Steal spell, 4th paragraph, page 16)

Wow...book, page, and paragraph!

Thanks! :smallbiggrin:

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-05, 09:30 AM
Wow...book, page, and paragraph!

Yes, it is nice that what I say at least sometimes is based on the RAW. :smallamused:

Thanks! :smallbiggrin:

No problem, considering I did not take the time to count the line number. :smallsmile:

Charity
2008-03-05, 10:17 AM
No problem, considering I did not take the time to count the line number. :smallsmile:

tsk tsk you really are slipping.. :smallwink:

Asmodeus
2008-03-05, 03:12 PM
Q. 568

Regarding the Appraise Skill, how do you know what DC to use for what item?

How can you tell the difference between a common or a rare/exotic item? How many of a certain type of item has to exist before it becomes common? Once an Item is categorized as rare or exotic, how do you know what DC to use? 15? 20? something higher?

If there is nothing in the RAW that helps determine this, I'd be willing to take personal advice as well.

MorkaisChosen
2008-03-05, 03:39 PM
Q. 569
Can a Monk use TWF and Flurry at the same time (Example: Level 1 monk with TWF- could he use a pair of Sais for a total attack bonus of -4/-4/-4)?

Q. 570
If a character has multiple attacks from BAB, TWF or Flurry, can he make multiple special attacks (e.g Disarm, Trip) in a single round? (Again using the above example- could the Monk make three Disarm attacks?).

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-05, 05:03 PM
A. 569

Yes, you can combine flurry and TWF, but as your example indicates the penalties stack.

A. 570

Yes, any special attack that just requires an attack and not a seperate action can be used several times in a full attack.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-05, 05:16 PM
A. 568

I think the treasure tables in the DMG might yield a few examples of rare and exotic items, but other than that I think it is left up to the DM.

It is hard to give very clear rules, because it depends a lot on campaign and geography.

For instance, a painting by the famous elven painter Ilad might be require a DC 15 in his homeland or the human settlement that trade with the elves, while it truly is a very rare item for the mountain dwarves requiring a DC 20.

Did you have something specific in mind?

wadledo
2008-03-05, 08:10 PM
Q. 571

The Ethereal Filcher's Ethereal Jaunt ability lets it move to the Material Plane as part of a move action, and go back as a free action for one round.
Does this mean the Ethereal Filcher could have a normal round, use Ethereal Jaunt, wait until its turn come around again, use a Move action to re-enter the Material Plane, attack using a Standard Action and use Ethereal Jaunt to escape most effects until its next turn?

Q. 572

Can Sleight of Hand be use in place of a Search check to look for hidden objects on a person?

Q. 573

How do races without languages deal with bonus languages from a Int mod?
They can't speak, but would it be logical to say they can write?

Chronos
2008-03-05, 08:17 PM
Q 574: Do the rules anywhere state a Listen DC for noticing an abrupt cessation of ambient noise (as, for example, for someone sneaking up behind you inside a Silence spell)?

Reinboom
2008-03-05, 08:42 PM
Q 575
What type of ability (Sp,Su,Ex,Natural) are turn attempts? Or more specifically, greater turning granted by the sun domain.

-edit-
I'm specifically not looking for just confirmation, but the actual text on a page that describes them as this. I can't find seem to locate it.
-edit-
Page 159. Could they have tried to obfuscate it more? :smallsigh:

Curmudgeon
2008-03-05, 10:15 PM
Q 575
What type of ability (Sp,Su,Ex,Natural) are turn attempts? Or more specifically, greater turning granted by the sun domain.
A 575 Turn attempts (greater or not) are Supernatural.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-06, 02:16 AM
A. 571

Yes.

A. 572

I do not think such use is covered directly by the rules.

A. 573

Yes, generally they would probably be able to understand the languages and maybe write them unless the description also makes that impossible.

A. 574

No I do not think so, especially considering that there are not any facing rules, only references to sneaking up behind.

Dode
2008-03-06, 04:03 PM
Q. 575 - Can I make a Necropolitan Incarnate and if so, what would I use to determine his meldshaping abilities without a Con. score?

Bauglir
2008-03-06, 06:56 PM
A 575
Yes. You would have to take the Undead Meldshaper feat to do so, and the resulting character would use Wisdom for number of soulmelds that can be shaped and for any necessary save DCs.

Q 576
Midnight Augmentation says, "the power point cost to augment that power is reduced by a value equal to the invested essentia." Does this mean that each augmentation of, say, Inertial Armor would be reduced so that each point of AC requires 1 power point, or does it mean that the overall cost of the power would be 1 power point lower?

drengnikrafe
2008-03-06, 08:39 PM
Q. 577
Are characters with the Trap Sense feat entitled to search for the trigger to a trap before they activate it, or are the just allowed to? (Assume Search DC is 21ish)

FlyMolo
2008-03-06, 09:06 PM
Q 578

Monster characters: You are an illithid. You're not a PC. You have 5 levels in Psion, and are CR 9+5=14.

Player characters with monster races: You are an illithid. You ARE a PC. You take the monster class "Illithid" from SS, and finish it out. by the end, you are a ECL 15 character, with a CR of 9. Then you take 5 levels of Psion. You have the EXACT SAME abilities and scores as the monster above, but are ECL 20. You have maxed out your normal 20-level progression, and are identical to a CR 15 monster.

What am I missing? Why are monster characters so utterly gimped in every way? If you generate monsters with 4d6 drop lowest, same as your players, then a CR 9 monster=a ECL 9 player, am I right? Or maybe, because most monsters have 10-11 in their abilities pre-racial adjustments (as SS tells me) a monster generated with 4d6 drop lowest is more like a CR 10-11 encounter. But that does not explain, in the slightest, why a player wastes 15 levels on a class that makes him a CR 9 creature. It's suicide. You couldn't even survive level-appropriate encounters, and would die off long before you finished out the class. A character with 9 levels of illithid versus an actual illithid loses a feat, natural armor, better mind blast, more hp, more ability adjustments and some powerful psionic abilities versus its "wild" competitor. But this is a level appropriate encounter. Explain, someone. Please. What am I missing here?

Gralamin
2008-03-06, 09:37 PM
Q 578

Monster characters: You are an illithid. You're not a PC. You have 5 levels in Psion, and are CR 9+5=14.

Player characters with monster races: You are an illithid. You ARE a PC. You take the monster class "Illithid" from SS, and finish it out. by the end, you are a ECL 15 character, with a CR of 9. Then you take 5 levels of Psion. You have the EXACT SAME abilities and scores as the monster above, but are ECL 20. You have maxed out your normal 20-level progression, and are identical to a CR 15 monster.

What am I missing? Why are monster characters so utterly gimped in every way? If you generate monsters with 4d6 drop lowest, same as your players, then a CR 9 monster=a ECL 9 player, am I right? Or maybe, because most monsters have 10-11 in their abilities pre-racial adjustments (as SS tells me) a monster generated with 4d6 drop lowest is more like a CR 10-11 encounter. But that does not explain, in the slightest, why a player wastes 15 levels on a class that makes him a CR 9 creature. It's suicide. You couldn't even survive level-appropriate encounters, and would die off long before you finished out the class. A character with 9 levels of illithid versus an actual illithid loses a feat, natural armor, better mind blast, more hp, more ability adjustments and some powerful psionic abilities versus its "wild" competitor. But this is a level appropriate encounter. Explain, someone. Please. What am I missing here?

A 578
While there is no real RAW on why this is, it is usually because monsters are overrated. I recommend tracking a monster PCs level by its CR. Since a level 5 Human wizard is CR 5, and a level 20 Human wizard is CR 20, CR makes for a better estimation method.
Two adjustments are useful, 4d6 drop lowest could be called the elite Array for increasing CR (+1), and Treasure above what the monster has (PC Wealth), is also worth a +1. This is usually a fairer way of judging it then the deeply flawed LA/RHD system that currently exists.

Madmal
2008-03-06, 10:39 PM
Q579
The Shifting racial trait of the Shifters (damm redundancy) is portrayed as "a state that is superficially similar to a Barbarian's Rage" How similar are this abilities? does this mean a Shifter druid can't cast spells while shifting?

playswithfire
2008-03-07, 03:18 PM
Q580

Let's say I'm a spiked chain fighter and I have Stand Still (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Stand_Still) and, of course, Improved Trip, though that's not really part of the question. On my turn, I trip you successfully (and hit you while you're on the ground) and you are prone 10 feet from me. You do not have a reach weapon. On your turn, presumably, you either stand up or try to crawl away. When you do either of these things, it's a move equivalent action that provokes an attack of opportunity. I take my AoO and use Stand Still; you fail your save.

Are you still prone (I realize this may be different depending on whether you crawled or stood up)?

Chronos
2008-03-07, 05:22 PM
Q 581: What kinds of creatures can make unarmed strikes? It was my understanding that any creature could do so, with all of the associated penalties, and damage depending on the creature's size, but the subject has come up in another thread, and another poster says that they're only available to humanoids and monstrous humanoids.

Mr.Bookworm
2008-03-07, 09:57 PM
Q579
The Shifting racial trait of the Shifters (damm redundancy) is portrayed as "a state that is superficially similar to a Barbarian's Rage" How similar are this abilities? does this mean a Shifter druid can't cast spells while shifting?

This refers to the cosmetic change of the Shifter during Shifting. Raging and Shifting are two different things, beyond an appearance similarity. So, yes, a Shifter Druid can cast spells while Shifting.

---

Q 582

Where can I find a good, comprehensive list of variant class features?

Curmudgeon
2008-03-08, 12:46 AM
Q580

Let's say I'm a spiked chain fighter and I have Stand Still (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Stand_Still)
... you are prone 10 feet from me. On your turn, presumably, you either stand up or try to crawl away. When you do either of these things, it's a move equivalent action that provokes an attack of opportunity. I take my AoO and use Stand Still; you fail your save.

Are you still prone (I realize this may be different depending on whether you crawled or stood up)? A 580

You don't get to use Stand Still if they stand up from prone, because the feat only triggers on an opponent's movement, and standing doesn't move you out of your square. A creature which crawls is still prone.

Also, there are no "move equivalent" actions in 3.5 rules. There are move actions, and there's movement. Not all move actions involve moving out of your square (and standing from prone is a good example of that), and not all movement involves move actions (5' adjustments and running are good examples).

Talic
2008-03-08, 12:51 AM
Q. 583 Is there any mundane gear that allows the drawing of a potion as a free action? If so, what is it?

Curmudgeon
2008-03-08, 01:57 AM
A 583

A potion belt (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, page 96).

gareth
2008-03-08, 02:48 AM
Q584 Is there any way for a human character to be truly ambidextrous? That is, having some combination of feats or class abilities that allows him to get an attack with each hand, without any penalty to hit for either. If not, is there any (two-handed) race that can do this?

Rad
2008-03-08, 03:57 AM
A 584

The Tempest PrC (CAdv) and the Tiger Claw PrC in ToB (don't remember the exact name) Bloodclaw Master PrC in Tob (Thanks Aslan) both eliminate the -2 penalty for TWF.

AslanCross
2008-03-08, 06:57 AM
A 584

The Tempest PrC (CAdv) and the Tiger Claw PrC in ToB (don't remember the exact name) both eliminate the -2 penalty for TWF.

A 584 a
The ToB PrC is the Bloodclaw Master, and its negation of the penalty is limited to daggers and Tiger Claw-specific weapons.

Speaking of TWF...

Q 585
Is it possible to use the Two-Weapon Fighting feat with a one-handed reach weapon and a shield? Case in point: Trident and spiked shield.

EDITED: I misread the range increment line as reach. Please disregard this.

Rad
2008-03-08, 09:13 AM
A 585
A spiked shield can be used as if it were a weapon, so yes. Armor Spikes + 2-handed weapon is a licit combination as well (it's a bit cheesy though).

The heavy spiked shield appears in the list of one-handed martial melee weapons while the light spiked shield and armor spikes are light martial weapons.

Ossian
2008-03-08, 09:21 AM
Q. 586

I was reading the IMPROVED 2 WEAPON FIGHTING feat and I got a little confused. The character I created is an assassin (rog 4/monk 3/assassin 2)who wields 2 katar blades (punching daggers). He has a +6 BAB and Weapon Finesse, with +3 DEX.
From what I could understand with the 2wf and imp. 2wf he gets, wielding both weapons:

+7 (1st hand)/+2 (1st hand, second attack from high bab)/+7 (off hand)/+2 (2nd extra attack, but still with the off hand) in a full attack action, in this order. Am I right? And most important: since he has levels in monk, how does the flurry of blows come into play?

Q. 587

I was reading the d20 Oriental Adventures book and I found the shintao monk to be very interesting. In his class skills the skill "Scry, INT" is listed, and has an "exclusive skill" descriptor next to it. What is this skill exactly? What does it do and where is it explained? I went through the whole splatbook, but to no avail...

AslanCross
2008-03-08, 10:04 AM
A 586

A Rogue 4/Monk 3/Assassin 2 gets a BAB of +6/+1.
-With Weapon Finesse, he gains a +3 to his attack bonus for both weapons.
-Two-Weapon Fighting with light weapons penalizes your attack bonus by -2.
6+3-2=7.
As a full attack action, you get:
Melee katar +7/+2 and katar +7/+2.
Flurry of Blows only affects unarmed strikes, kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken or siangham. You do not gain anything from using Flurry of Blows.
Had you been using kamas instead, you'd be able to use Flurry and would have the following attack:
Melee kama +5/+5/+0 and kama +5/+0.
At that level, Flurry gives you one extra attack, while penalizing all your attacks by -2.

A. 587

Scry is a 3.0 skill (Oriental Adventures is 3.0) that has been removed in 3.5.

Chronos
2008-03-08, 01:22 PM
A 585 addendum: A trident is not a reach weapon. In fact, the only one-handed reach weapon in the core rules is the whip, and it doesn't threaten, thus eliminating much of the usefulness of a reach weapon. There may be some one-handed reach weapon in some splatbook, but if so, it's almost certainly exotic.

A 587 addendum: The concept of exclusive skills is also from 3.0, and no longer in 3.5. Some skills were exclusive to certain classes, meaning that members of other classes couldn't take those skills at all, not even as cross-class. Scry was exclusive to the full spellcaster classes, but has now been replaced by an unmodified Int check; Animal Empathy was exclusive to rangers and druids, but has now been replaced by the Wild Empathy class feature; Use Magic Device was exclusive to bards and rogues, but is now a normal skill; and Read Lips was exclusive to rogues, but has now been folded into the Spot skill.

shadow_archmagi
2008-03-08, 02:56 PM
Q. 588.

"Heat metal" the spell that allows you to burn metal-wearing creatures. It says nonattended nonmagical items get no saving throw, but magical items do. Then it says items get a saving throw of at least their owner's, or higher if their own is higher.

So: Do nonmagical, but ATTENDED (such as a knight's armor) items get saving throws?

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-08, 04:08 PM
A 588

Yes. This is the purpose of the "Will negates (object)" saving throw line. Nonmagical items always use the saving throw of the creature 'attending' to them.

Beren One-Hand
2008-03-08, 04:11 PM
Q 589 How does the feat Arcane Strike work?

In a game I'm playing the DM read it as you get the attack/damage bonus for a number of rounds equal to the spell levels used.

The player with the feat felt that was too good and should be only for 1 round total, while another player thought that was underpowered based on what could be done with such a spell.

So who's right?

Curmudgeon
2008-03-08, 05:27 PM
Q. 586

From what I could understand with the 2wf and imp. 2wf he gets, wielding both weapons:

+7 (1st hand)/+2 (1st hand, second attack from high bab)/+7 (off hand)/+2 (2nd extra attack, but still with the off hand) in a full attack action, in this order. Am I right? A 586

You're not right about the order. The two +7 attacks must be taken before the first +2 attack, and the off-hand attack could just as easily go first at each attack bonus.
If you get multiple attacks because your base attack bonus is high enough, you must make the attacks in order from highest bonus to lowest. If you are using two weapons, you can strike with either weapon first.

Curmudgeon
2008-03-08, 05:44 PM
Q 589 How does the feat Arcane Strike work?

In a game I'm playing the DM read it as you get the attack/damage bonus for a number of rounds equal to the spell levels used. A 589 That's not correct.
You must sacrifice one of your spells for the day (of 1st level or higher) to do this, but you gain a bonus on all your attack rolls for 1 round equal to the level of the spell sacrificed, as well as extra damage equal to 1d4 points x the level of the spell sacrificed. The bonus is for 1 round, not 1 round per level of the spell sacrificed.

"Equal to the level of the spell sacrificed" is a phrase that modifies the "bonus on all your attack rolls". The feat doesn't include an associating preposition such as for or per to tie the "level of the spell sacrificed" to the duration, so it's simply 1 round.

For further help with questions of this type, I recommend Warriner's English Grammar and Composition (http://www.amazon.com/Warriners-English-Grammar-Composition-Course/dp/0153118008).

Rad
2008-03-08, 06:27 PM
A 586 continued

A 586

You're not right about the order. The two +7 attacks must be taken before the first +2 attack, and the off-hand attack could just as easily go first at each attack bonus.
I interpret the same lines you quoted as you needing to execute first all the attacks with one weapon and then the others.

This thing would matter a lot with some builds, like the ones that use the Dervish PrC.

Curmudgeon
2008-03-09, 12:51 AM
A 586 continued

I interpret the same lines you quoted as you needing to execute first all the attacks with one weapon and then the others. This makes no sense at all.
If you get multiple attacks because your base attack bonus is high enough, you must make the attacks in order from highest bonus to lowest. Why would you think this would possibly allow you to make an attack at +2 before finishing all your attacks at +7? It's RAW. There is no stipulation that you make all the attacks with the weapon in one hand before starting to attack with the weapon in the other hand; in fact, such a stipulation would be contrary to the very clear rule that I quoted (twice now).

You may decide which order to use if you have multiple attacks with the same attack bonus. There's no other flexibility allowed here.

Rad
2008-03-09, 03:38 AM
A 586 defending

This makes no sense at all. Why would you think this would possibly allow you to make an attack at +2 before finishing all your attacks at +7? It's RAW. There is no stipulation that you make all the attacks with the weapon in one hand before starting to attack with the weapon in the other hand; in fact, such a stipulation would be contrary to the very clear rule that I quoted (twice now).

You may decide which order to use if you have multiple attacks with the same attack bonus. There's no other flexibility allowed here.
:smalleek: hey, no need to get this passionate...

The next sentence in your earlier quote is this one:

If you are using two weapons, you can strike with either weapon first.
which can be read as that you resolve one weapon at a time and then for each weapon you perform the attacks in descending AB.

I think it could be either way, honestly.

Rad
2008-03-09, 03:44 AM
Q 590
Can a martial artist be in a stance outside of combat? if so, can you assume that he is already in a stance during the first combat round before his turn and without spending a swift action?

squishycube
2008-03-09, 07:00 AM
A586 Second Opinion (Sort of)
I think the sentence "you must make the attacks in order from highest bonus to lowest" includes the possibility of choosing which weapon goes first, since usually you have several attacks that share the same attack bonus. For example, a fighter with TWF and Imp. TWF on level 12 (+3 str):
+13/+13/+8/+8/+3

You resolve the attacks with the highest bonus first, but you can choose which goes first if the bonus is the same. In my opinion, this reading remains closest to RAW, while Rad's reading adds an implicit exception to the "you must make the attacks in order from highest bonus to lowest"-rule (being: "except when you attack with multiple weapons").

A590 Attempt(?)
Once again an answer to a question about a rule from book which I do not own, but here goes.
My guess is the martial artist cannot already by in a stance when combat starts. I have several reasons to think this:
1. Assuming a stance (at least some stances) is a swift action, not a free action. It is supposed to use a resource (time) in combat.
2. Do you allow your characters to run around with a loaded crossbow? I do, but when they actually try, at some point it will shoot their nuts of. And then the bow breaks. Because having a loaded crossbow on you at all times makes no sense at all. In my mind, this is similar. When you propose someone walks around in a 'stance' all day, what I imagine is a guy standing like this (http://www.warriormonks.com/conflicts/martial-arts-4x5.jpg) all the time. I think that's just silly.

shadow_archmagi
2008-03-09, 07:15 AM
Q 591

Does a critical hit multiply bonuses as well? That is, if I've got 20 strength and I get a critical on a x3 weapon, does that mean it automatically does 15 bonus damage PLUS whatever I roll?

Nebo_
2008-03-09, 07:19 AM
A 591

Yes, multiply everything except for extra dice.

shadow_archmagi
2008-03-09, 07:20 AM
Q. 592

Flame blade says I cannot apply my strength bonus. If I take weapon finesse or a similar feat, am I allowed to apply my dexterity bonus?

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-09, 08:04 AM
A 592

Flame blade only eliminates your Strength bonus from damage. Your Strength bonus applies normally with regards to your attack roll. Weapon Finesse does not affect damage rolls, so it would have no bearing in this case.

Furthermore, the spell states, "You wield this bladelike beam as if it were a scimitar." A scimitar is a one-handed weapon, and therefore does not benefit from Weapon Finesse won't even apply to your attack rolls. (Unless you have levels in Dervish from Complete Warrior, which allows you to treat a scimitar as a light weapon.)

Magnor Criol
2008-03-09, 12:01 PM
Q 593
If a wizard (or any caster, for that matter) has Augment Summoning, does it apply to Summon Monster spells she casts through a wand? Is it important whether she created the wand or not in this case? (i.e. Is her Augment Summoning bonus imparted through the wand, so anyone who picks up her wand casts and augmented summon spell?)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-09, 04:18 PM
A. 577

Q. 577
Are characters with the Trap Sense feat entitled to search for the trigger to a trap before they activate it, or are the just allowed to? (Assume Search DC is 21ish)

They get an automatic search check without having to actively be looking for traps.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-09, 04:21 PM
A. 581

Q 581: What kinds of creatures can make unarmed strikes? It was my understanding that any creature could do so, with all of the associated penalties, and damage depending on the creature's size, but the subject has come up in another thread, and another poster says that they're only available to humanoids and monstrous humanoids.

Nothing prevents creatures without a humanoid shape to make unarmed strikes, but if they cannot normally combine weapon attacks and natural attacks the FAQ strongly suggests that it is not possible to make a full attack including both unarmed strikes and natural attacks.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-09, 04:29 PM
A. 593

Yes.

Does Augment Summoning (PH 89) apply to creatures I
summon with a magic item, such as a wand?

Yes, as long as the magic item is specifically using a
summon spell.

Curmudgeon
2008-03-09, 06:19 PM
A 593 second part

Is it important whether she created the wand or not in this case? (i.e. Is her Augment Summoning bonus imparted through the wand, so anyone who picks up her wand casts and augmented summon spell?) The benefit of Augment Summoning applies only to the person who has the feat:
Benefit

Each creature you conjure with any summon spell gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength and Constitution for the duration of the spell that summoned it. So no, there will be no benefit for someone else who uses a wand you craft.

Astaroth
2008-03-09, 08:02 PM
Q594a:

The solid fog spell states that 'any creature attempting to move through it progresses at a speed of 5 feet, regardless of its normal speed.' Does this mean their movement rate is reduced to 5 feet, i.e. 5 feet with a move action, 10 double-move, or 20 (and to the edge of the fog) with a run? Or is it simply 5 feet per round regardless?

Similarly, the web spell states that a creature 'can break lose by spending 1 round' and, later in the description, that 'each round devoted to movement allows the creature...' Probably a stupid question, but this means taking a full round action for both instances, correct?

Q594b:

The sleet storm spell, as well as the grease spell, both state that 'a creature can walk within or through the area at half normal speed...' How does this interact with other effects that change movement speed, specifically solid fog in this case? In addition, do these effects allow moving at normal speed with a -5 penalty or running at a -20 penalty as the balance skill specifies? While on a slippery surface such as these, are foes denied their Dex bonus to AC as per the balance skill?

Q595:
The blood wind spell (Spell Compendium, p. 33) states that 'The subject can take a full attack action to use all of its natural weapons or unarmed strikes as if they were thrown weapons with a 20-foot range increment ... the result of the attack affects a target within range.'
a. Would a monk be able to deliver stunning fist-type attacks this way?
b. Does this only allow for full attacks to be made, or could a standard action be used to make a single attack?
c. Does 'within range' mean within range of the spellcaster, or within range of the attacker?

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-09, 08:42 PM
A 594a

A character's speed refers to how far they can move with a single move action. That mans a character can double move 10 ft. or run up to 20 ft (unless wearing heavy armor).

Web does not directly modify a character's speed but represents instead the total movement for a round of effort. So both actions take a full round.
[hr]A 594b

Effects that slow movement usually stack using normal rules of multiplication (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/movement.html#double-movement-cost) (as opposed to D&D dice multiplication). That is, moving through heavy rubble (half movement) and a sleet storm (half movement again) reduces your speed to a quarter normal.

Solid fog however, directly reduces your speed to five feet rather than simply multiplying it, so further effects would halve that speed. This invokes the minimum movement rules (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/movement.html#minimum-movement). That means it takes a full round to move 5 ft. in any direction (even diagonals). This would prevent running.

Characters affected by both solid fog and either sleet storm or grease are still balancing and would face all the normal penalties. However, since solid fog does provide some support, even to the extent of reducing falling damage, I would consider granting a circumstance bonus to the Balance checks. As one factor in the character's favor, I suggest +2 as a proper value.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-09, 08:51 PM
A. 594a

The movement speed is reduced to 5 feet, so you can move 5 feet as a move action and 10 feet as a double move.

Running is generally not possible as sight is blocked.

And yes, to the web question.

A. 594b

The two effects does not directly change your movement speed, but they create different conditions that have an impact and does "stack".

The balance skill is directly referenced and all limitations and condition described there applies.

A. 595

a: Yes, you are still attacking with your unarmed strike.

b: The spell description only refers to full attacks, but it seems reasonable to allow it as a house rule.

c: The target is granted a range increment and you use your natural attacks and unarmed strikes just like normal ranged weapons.

SensFan
2008-03-09, 11:41 PM
Q596

What is the book/page number of the Clerity (spelling?) Spell?

Douglas
2008-03-10, 12:07 AM
A596

Player's Handbook II, page 105.

Amusingly, at least one of the widely distributed illegal pdf copies of the book has that page omitted (or so I hear, I have the hardcover myself). Apparently whoever scanned it decided to pretend that particular spell doesn't exist.

Fishy
2008-03-10, 07:19 AM
Q597

An aquatic elf (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elf.htm#aquaticElf) can stay out of water for 1 hour per point of constitution, and has the Aquatic Subtype.

If she later becomes a Dragonborn of Bahamut (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060105b&page=1), she loses her racial abilities but keeps her subtypes. How long can she survive above water?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-10, 07:42 AM
A. 597

By a strict reading you lose all other racial traits, which includes the gills. You still have your aquatic subtype and without being amphibious you better hold your breath when you are above water to avoid suffocation.

As a house rule you might allow aquatic elves to keep their gills if they become dragonborn. :smallamused:

Jastermereel
2008-03-10, 03:10 PM
Q. 598

A. If two humans standing side by side are facing off against an ogre, what happens when the ogre bull-rushes one of them? Assuming space constraints (a 10ft hallway), the ogre would have to enter both squares, but is he allowed to bull rush them both at once? If so, does he have to succeed with both to succeed at all?

B. What happens to those bull-rushed humans if there are other people behind them? Assuming the rules for a failed bull-rush apply to them, they'd fall prone in that new square, but the rules seem vague after that.

C. Similarly, if a large Cloaker faces off against the same duo and tries to engulf, what are the consequences?

I apologize if these questions have been covered before but the site is getting a bit slow to load at the moment and there are +1000 questions between the two threads so I wasn't able to properly skim them recently. And if that isn't new-guyish enough, this is my first post here, after a long and highly educational lurking period.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-10, 03:24 PM
A. 598

A.
You cannot Bullrush two creatures at once by RAW, but you can squeeze into the square of the creature you wish to Bullrush.

Squeezing: In some cases, you may have to squeeze into or through an area that isn’t as wide as the space you take up. You can squeeze through or into a space that is at least half as wide as your normal space. Each move into or through a narrow space counts as if it were 2 squares, and while squeezed in a narrow space you take a –4 penalty on attack rolls and a –4 penalty to AC.

When a Large creature (which normally takes up four squares) squeezes into a space that’s one square wide, the creature’s miniature figure occupies two squares, centered on the line between the two squares. For a bigger creature, center the creature likewise in the area it squeezes into.

A creature can squeeze past an opponent while moving but it can’t end its movement in an occupied square.

To squeeze through or into a space less than half your space’s width, you must use the Escape Artist skill. You can’t attack while using Escape Artist to squeeze through or into a narrow space, you take a –4 penalty to AC, and you lose any Dexterity bonus to AC.

B.
There are no further description of what happens in this case, since creatures cannot normally share spaces unless they are grappling or helpless.

C.
Again, the rules are vague, but the above squeezing rules would apply.

Just Alex
2008-03-10, 06:12 PM
Q 599

Can a Duskblade us a metamagic feat (besides sudden versions) to alter a spell cast via the Arcane Channeling ability?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-10, 06:18 PM
A. 599

Yes, but the casting time cannot be longer than a standard action, which complicates it a little.

Superglucose
2008-03-10, 06:30 PM
Q600

Does the Loremaster PrC ability "bonus language" allow a Loremaster to learn secret languages such as Druidic?

Curmudgeon
2008-03-10, 09:18 PM
A 600 There is no restriction on the Loremaster's choice of languages:
Bonus Languages: A loremaster can choose any new language at 4th and 8th level. While Druids are "forbidden" to teach Druidic to nondruids, this legal restriction doesn't keep a disaffected former Druid from having the ability to teach the language, so we can posit a mechanic that would allow the Loremaster's ability to work in this instance.

Chineselegolas
2008-03-11, 08:02 AM
Q601

A warlock wielding a Sugliin (Frostburn) wants to use the Hideous Blow invocation. The invocation makes you take a single melee attack as a standard action, but a sugliin requires a full round action to attack. Which takes precedence?
Are you unable to use the invocation with the weapon, or does it take a full round.
Same question with ToB manoeuvres which are a standard action and involve a melee attack.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-11, 08:10 AM
A. 601

Strictly speaking you cannot use the Sugliin for such invocations and maneuvers, but allowing it as a full round action would make a very reasonable house rule IMHO.

Miraqariftsky
2008-03-11, 08:23 AM
Q602

How much is the standard WBL of a 10th level character? Thanks!

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-11, 08:34 AM
A. 602

That information can be found on page 135 of the DMG.

RTGoodman
2008-03-11, 10:56 AM
A. 601 Addendum

The Sugliin Mastery feat from the same book as the Sugliin (Frostburn) says, "You can attack with a sugliin as if it were a normal weapon, either making a single attack as a standard action or a full attack as a full-round action." That would allow you to use hideous blow or any martial maneuvers with it as normal.

pantoffelheld
2008-03-11, 02:19 PM
Q. 603a
I want to make a rogue4/swashbuckler3, but I've never multiclassed before. therefor I'm a bit at a loss here. When determing class skills, does UMD still count as a class skill in my swashbuckler levels? Meaning, can I put 10 ranks in UMD? Do I have to pay 2 skill points for 1 rank in swashbuckler levels?
If this is answered the way I don't want it to, I've got an additional questionQ.603b: Can a Changeling take Able learner (feat)? I could've sworn I saw it somewhere, but RoD says human or doppleganger only. seems a bit sily to not allow changelings, since they're essentially human/dopplegangers...
Q.603cFurthermore, why is Lord_Silvanos so awesome?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-11, 02:38 PM
A. 603a

Class skills are only class skills for those classes that have it on their list.
So any ranks you buy for skill points obtained from a class that does not have it on their list only nets you 1 rank per 2 points spend.
The maximum rank, however, is character level +3 if you have the skill as a class skill.

In your example you can have 10 ranks in UMD but any rank bought when you take a level in swashbuckler would cost 2 skill points.
Taking the fourth rogue level after the 3 levels of swashbuckler would allow you to only spend 10 skill points to buy your 10 ranks assuming you never invest in UMD when swashbuckling.

Each skill point you spend on a class skill gets you 1 rank in that skill. Class skills are the skills found on your character’s class skill list. Each skill point you spend on a cross-class skill gets your character 1/2 rank in that skill. Cross-class skills are skills not found on your character’s class skill list. (Half ranks do not improve your skill check, but two 1/2 ranks make 1 rank.) You can’t save skill points to spend later.

The maximum rank in a class skill is the character’s level + 3. If it’s a cross-class skill, the maximum rank is half of that number (do not round up or down).

Regardless of whether a skill is purchased as a class skill or a cross-class skill, if it is a class skill for any of your classes, your maximum rank equals your total character level + 3.

A. 603b

No, but making it a house rule does not seem unreasonable.

A. 603c

The premises of this question are highly subjective and not quite RAW. :smallamused:

Jukashi
2008-03-11, 02:43 PM
Q. 604

If a sorceror uses Shadow Conjuration to emulate Summon Monster III and creates a simulacrum of a Celestial Hippogriff, can they use it as a mount? Normally the emulated spell wouldn't be able to do that, since the Hippogriff can't be communicated with (without Wild Empathy or speaking Celestial, anyway) and isn't trained for the job anyway... but the Shadow Conjuration spell actually creates a creature rather than summoning it, so it shouldn't object if you hop on its back and direct it where to go, should it?

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-11, 02:51 PM
A 603a

You can have a maximum number of ranks equal to your character level + 3 in any skill that appears on any of your class skill lists (character level is the sum of all your class levels and racial hit dice). However, any skill points you gain from taking a level in a particular class buy those ranks solely based upon that class's skill list.

In other words, if your Rogue 4/Swashbuckler 3 does have a max rank of 10 for Use Magic Device. However, if he were to gain a level and take it in swashbuckler, even though his new max rank would be 11, it would cost him two skill points to gain that new rank.

A 603b

Races of Destiny was not written with Changelings in mind. In other words, they were simply overlooked and not intentionally left off the list. Since it doesn't make much sense that a combination of the only two races listed in the feat's prerequisite to be denied the use of Able Learner, it is a common house rule to allow Changelings to take it.

A 603c

I think there's something in his popcorn...

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-11, 02:53 PM
A. 604

Generally a summoned creature would most likely not object to your attempts to mount it, but in case of the Hippogrif there is another problem.

A hippogriff requires training before it can bear a rider in combat.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-11, 02:58 PM
In your example you can have 10 ranks in UMD but you would have to minimum use 13 skill points to get them. (7 (7 ranks) +6 (3 ranks)
You're assuming he buys his ranks evenly as he levels up. There's no reason he has to do this. In fact, it's more beneficial if he doesn't.

He could take 3 levels of Rogue and buy 6 ranks. Then take 3 levels of Swashbuckler and buy 0 ranks. Then take a 4th level of Rogue and buy 4 more ranks all at once.

Jukashi
2008-03-11, 03:05 PM
A. 604

Generally a summoned creature would most likely not object to your attempts to mount it, but in case of the Hippogrif there is another problem.

Q. 604b
Could it be ridden outside combat, though? Celestial Hippogriffs are smarter than regular ones, and simply holding on while it flies you over a canyon isn't complicated. The rules aren't very clear on the subject.

Q. 605
When you cast shadow versions of spells, do you require the original spells' material components?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-11, 03:15 PM
You're assuming he buys his ranks evenly as he levels up. There's no reason he has to do this. In fact, it's more beneficial if he doesn't.

He could take 3 levels of Rogue and buy 6 ranks. Then take 3 levels of Swashbuckler and buy 0 ranks. Then take a 4th level of Rogue and buy 4 more ranks all at once.

I assumed he finished his rogue progression first. :smallredface:

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-11, 03:22 PM
A. 604b

The rules are not very clear, but it seems reasonable to negotiate such a use out of combat for an untrained Hippogriff.

A. 605

No, it only require the components listed in the spell description, which usually does not include material components.

NPC lord
2008-03-13, 10:38 AM
Q:26 If a person becomes a lich, is the physical transformation instantanious, or does it happen over time??

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-13, 11:13 AM
A. 606

Q:26 If a person becomes a lich, is the physical transformation instantanious, or does it happen over time??

MM version: As soon as you finish the creation of your Phylactery you become undead and at that time your corpse, unless preserved, begin to rot.
The description in the MM assumes a somewhat older Lich.

There are other ways of obtaining Lichdom.
For instance, there is a template progression (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031212a&pf=true) that allows you to become a Lich over (4 levels) time and where you could describe a physical change starting when you take the first level, but this is of course just fluff, the rules do not give much detail about the non-mechanical changes.

Rad
2008-03-13, 12:58 PM
A 606 addendum

A. 605
MM version: As soon as you finish the creation of your Phylactery you become undead and at that time your corpse, unless preserved, begin to rot.
The description in the MM assumes a somewhat older Lich.

There are other ways of obtaining Lichdom.
For instance, there is a template progression (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031212a&pf=true) that allows you to become a Lich over (4 levels) time and where you could describe a physical change starting when you take the first level, but this is of course just fluff, the rules do not give much detail about the non-mechanical changes.

In the BOeF they suggest using a shirt of gentle repose to preserve your body. A cleric Lich could also do it himself casting the spell regularly.

Magnor Criol
2008-03-13, 03:37 PM
Most of my questions here could be avoided if I just had enough cash to pony up and buy a DMG 3.5 already. At least, I think they would.

At any rate, time for another round of questions-whose-answers-are-shamefully-simple from Magnor!

Q 607: Regarding item creation
A: If you have Master Craftsman A and Spellcaster B, can they work together to create magical arms & armor? Is it important who has the Craft A&A feat, or perhaps do both need it?

B: Let's say you have a 7th-level cleric with the Magic domain and a 3rd-level wizard. Can the wizard create scrolls for the cleric, who then uses them (via the domain granted power) to brew potions? If yes, what determines the caster level of the resultant potions (the 3 CL of the wizard or the 7 CL of the cleric)?

These questions pertain to a shop in a small castle I'm brewing up; I'm attempting to determine just what's possible for a 7th level cleric, 5th level wizard/aristocrat and a 7th level fighter/rogue with a focus on craft skills to create. Not sure if this has any impact on the answers, but just in case.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-13, 03:51 PM
A 607 A

I don't think this is ever directly addressed in RAW, however the following is what seems most reasonable to me.

When to spellcasters collaborate on creating a magical item, only one ever needs the relevant item creation feat. For instance, a wizard with Craft Wondrous Item could provide the feat and a cleric could provide the necessary spells, and they could both create a necklace of prayer beads. It seems most logical to me that the caster that provides the necessary item creation feat must be the one to provide any other feats that modify the the item's price. So in that example, the wizard would need to provide the Master Craftsman Feat. Even if the cleric had Master Craftsman to reduce the prices for the Magic Arms and Armor he creates, for example, he probably doesn't know how to apply those cost-saving tricks to creating Wondrous Items.

In the case of items where two item creation feats are required and both feats are supplied by different spellcasters, either spellcaster should be able to provide the Master Craftsman feat.

B: Let's say you have a 7th-level cleric with the Magic domain and a 3rd-level wizard. Can the wizard create scrolls for the cleric, who then uses them (via the domain granted power) to brew potions? If yes, what determines the caster level of the resultant potions (the 3 CL of the wizard or the 7 CL of the cleric)?

A 607 B

Once again, I'm not sure if this is clearly addressed in RAW, but I would assume that the caster level of whatever source the spell comes from would determine the maximum caster level of the item. So the wizard's caster level would be the ultimate cap.

SamTheCleric
2008-03-13, 05:01 PM
Q. 608

Does this math make sense? (ie does this work RAW?)

Level 6 Monk: 1d8 Unarmed Damage
-Monk's Belt (Unarmed as though a level 11 monk): 1d10 damage
-Superior Unarmed Strike Feat (Unarmed as though a level 15 monk): 2d6 damage
-Improved Natural Attack Feat (Damage one step higher): 3d6 damage

-
Just want to make sure all of these stack before I start throwing around fists of steel. :smallbiggrin:

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-13, 05:30 PM
A. 608

I am afraid that both the Belt and SUS are based on your monk level, instead of adding a bonus. This means that we have two overlapping effects and only the highest (the Belt) prevails.

SamTheCleric
2008-03-13, 06:31 PM
Well that's no fun... thanks!

Chronos
2008-03-13, 06:53 PM
Q609: Is there any way (feats, PrCs, spells, etc.) to make a full attack with a single thrown weapon? Returning isn't good enough here, since it doesn't come back until the next round, and it has to be a single weapon, so I can't just quickdraw a bunch of daggers.

Douglas
2008-03-13, 07:01 PM
A608 dispute
Both the Monk's Belt and Superior Unarmed Strike state that your unarmed damage is treated as some number of levels higher. Neither of them states what it is higher in relation to. They just say "higher" and end the sentence. Neither of them says anything directly referencing your actual Monk level, and the most obvious interpretation in the absence of anything saying otherwise is that it means "higher than without the feat/item."

You are a level 6 Monk. You take Superior Unarmed Strike. You now have unarmed damage as a level 6+4 = 10 Monk. You put on a Monk's belt. You now have unarmed damage "as a monk of five levels higher." It is a perfectly legitimate interpretation of that wording to say that it means five levels higher than without the belt, in which case you have unarmed damage as a level 10+5 = 15 Monk.

It is also a valid interpretation to say that it means five levels higher than your actual monk level, as the text does not specify one way or the other, but that seems to me to be more of a stretch and monks are weak enough already that boosting them a bit won't break anything.

The RAW is technically ambiguous on this issue, but I think having them stack is the more sensible interpretation.

A609
The Bloodstorm Blade PrC from Tome of Battle gets that ability at level 4. It can be qualified for at level 5, so the ability can be gained at character level 9.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-13, 08:02 PM
A. 608 Continued

It is fairly clear that it is in relation to your actual monk level.

If you are a monk, you instead deal unarmed damage as a monk four levels higher

The wearer’s ... unarmed damage is treated as a monk of five levels higher.

One treats you as monk four levels higher the other five.
Your relativistic stacking argument would apply if it was a bonus, but it is not and here the reference is monk level, not your situation without the feat or item.

Well that's no fun... thanks!

I would personally allow it as a house rule if that is any consolation....

drengnikrafe
2008-03-13, 09:15 PM
Q. 610
Do the bonuses to AC you can get from Mage Armor, Shield, and a Ring of Protection stack?

SamTheCleric
2008-03-13, 09:18 PM
Q. 610
Do the bonuses to AC you can get from Mage Armor, Shield, and a Ring of Protection stack?

A 610

Yes.

Mage Armor is an Armor Bonus. Shield is a Shield Bonus and a Ring of Protection is a Deflection bonus.

Different types of bonuses stack with each other... but you couldn't have say Full Plate (+8 Armor Bonus) and Mage Armor stack (+4 Armor Bonus).

The only exception to this is a Dodge bonus, dodge bonuses always stack.

-

Lord Silvanos: I'll check with my DM and see what he says, I may be able to convince him to house rule it. Thank you for your clarification, though.

Douglas
2008-03-13, 11:16 PM
One treats you as monk four levels higher the other five.
Your relativistic stacking argument would apply if it was a bonus, but it is not and here the reference is monk level, not your situation without the feat or item.
Where does it specifically state that it is higher than your actual monk level? Those words or any equivalent are not present in either the feat or item description.

Alleine
2008-03-13, 11:28 PM
Q 611

A minotaur has the extraordinary ability powerful charge, would it be reasonable to treat this like the feat of the same name for other attacks? And if so how would it be done? The ability states only the gore attack is affected, and that boosts it to 4d6 from 1d8.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-14, 02:34 AM
A. 611

The question falls outside the scope of this thread, since its main purpose is to suggest a house rule.

May I suggest that you create a seperate thread for this question in either homebrew or gaming. :smallsmile:

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-14, 02:45 AM
A. 608 Continued

Where does it specifically state that it is higher than your actual monk level? Those words or any equivalent are not present in either the feat or item description.

The Superior Unarmed Strike treats you, if you are a monk, as a monk four levels higher for the purpose of unarmed strike damage.

This is not a bonus, so you would have to use your current level to determine the effect.

The Monk's Belt treats the wearer's as a monk five levels higher.

This is not a bonus either, so again we have to use the current level to determine the effect.

So I can only read this as to overlapping effects, one that treats you as four levels higher and another as five, for this purpose.

SUS effect on a 6th level Monk:
Treated as Monk 10.

Belt effect on a 6th level Monk:
Treated as Monk 11.

The effects overlap and you use the better value.

Douglas
2008-03-14, 06:05 AM
This is not a bonus, so you would have to use your current level to determine the effect.
Again, where in the rules does it actually say that you have to use your current actual level rather than your current effective level? That is a valid interpretation, but it is not the only one.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-14, 06:35 AM
Again, where in the rules does it actually say that you have to use your current actual level rather than your current effective level? That is a valid interpretation, but it is not the only one.

If either of the items increased your effective monk level I could agree with you. They only treat your monk level as higher for specific purposes.

Your interpretation requires more than that we just just interpret the sentence to mean "higher than your effective monk level" it requires something along the lines of "higher than your effective monk level used to determine your unarmed strike damage".

I consider that to be much more of a stretch and require a different wording.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-14, 07:45 AM
Re: A 610

The only exception to this is a Dodge bonus, dodge bonuses always stack.
Circumstance bonuses from sufficiently different circumstances (as determined by the DM) also stack with each other.

Not that I know of very many situations where Armor Class gets a RAW circumstance bonus, but it could happen.

Douglas
2008-03-14, 08:12 AM
If either of the items increased your effective monk level I could agree with you. They only treat your monk level as higher for specific purposes.

Your interpretation requires more than that we just just interpret the sentence to mean "higher than your effective monk level" it requires something along the lines of "higher than your effective monk level used to determine your unarmed strike damage".

I consider that to be much more of a stretch and require a different wording.
What about "higher than without this feat/item"? That doesn't seem like a stretch at all to me, and would result in them stacking.

MorkaisChosen
2008-03-14, 08:49 AM
Q.612

If a character with multiple attacks (from BAB or multiple natural weapons) is grappling, can he make a full attack for multiple attacks?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-14, 09:01 AM
A. 612

No, he may only make multiple grapple actions based of his BAB.
During a full round action you may substitute each of these actions for grapple maneuvers that take the place of an attack, which include the "Attack your Opponent" action.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-14, 09:08 AM
What about "higher than without this feat/item"? That doesn't seem like a stretch at all to me, and would result in them stacking.

That is how bonuses work, so it certainly is not an unreasonable mechanic, but this is not a bonus.
Treating you as the target of the effect instead of your enhanced unarmed strike level is to me a far more reasonable interpretation.
I see this as an effect targeting you and in this case the two effects overlap so you use the better value.

Chronos
2008-03-14, 03:04 PM
Q613: Can a swift action be used in the middle of a full attack? For instance, if all of my attacks except the last one have a decent chance of hitting, could I cast a quickened True Strike just before the last one?

Idea Man
2008-03-14, 03:34 PM
Q 614: When one shapechanges, are the DCs of the extraordinary and supernatural abilities based on the caster's levels or the original monster's hit dice? This is assuming using the original rules, not the newer polymorph subschool rules.

Q 614a: Clarification - if based on the caster, is it based on his total levels or caster level?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-14, 05:32 PM
A. 613

No, you cannot generally take actions while performing other actions, except for free actions and immediate actions.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-14, 05:38 PM
A. 614

You gain the new forms type and use your CL to determine HD (max 25), so your CL determines the radial HD and that is what the DC of any such ability is based on.

The assumed form cannot have more than your caster level in Hit Dice (to a maximum of 25 HD).
You also gain the type of the new form in place of your own.

Pink
2008-03-14, 06:20 PM
Q 615

Does a Ninja's 'Ghost step' invisibility remain active after the ninja has made an attack?

Previously I was under the impression given to me by some other players that, like the spell, it ends after an attack. However reading the wording I find no indication of this, and since these seems like quite a nice little ability (that can allow a full-round attack with added sudden strikes and sneak attacks), just wanting to make sure.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-14, 06:29 PM
A. 615

Yes, the ability lasts for the entire one round duration even if you attack.

Arganth
2008-03-14, 07:36 PM
Q616: Does metamagic apply to divine magic?

Winged One
2008-03-14, 07:41 PM
A616
Assuming you were asking if divine casters can take and use metamagic feats, yes.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-14, 08:47 PM
A. 613

No, you cannot generally take actions while performing other actions, except for free actions and immediate actions.
"You can take a swift action any time you would normally be allowed to take a free action." (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/psionicDescriptions.html#swift-action)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-15, 04:36 AM
"You can take a swift action any time you would normally be allowed to take a free action." (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/psionicDescriptions.html#swift-action)

Oops......

Kyroswolf
2008-04-23, 01:33 PM
Q.617 Does a high BAB (ex. 6/1) allow multiple grapples on a full attack action?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-04-23, 01:45 PM
A. 617

Yes, it grants you multiple grapple actions.

EDIT: And why is not this thread locked?