PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A (By RAW) V

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Roland St. Jude
2007-12-12, 03:32 PM
(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written).

If your question is about real world weapons and armor ask it here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1149238581 ;start=0#0).
If your question is about homebrew rulings start a thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew).
If you are looking for the meaning of an acronym or abbreviation look here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1121064702 ;start=0#0).
You may want to skim the old Q&A thread to see if your question has already been asked and answered here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18288).

The Procedure:

Do:
Label your questions with bold Q#s.
Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
Specify if your question is for a system other than D&D (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
Answer a question that’s already been answered.
Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
Post to debate the answers given.
Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
How do I play D&D? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
What +2 LA race should I take for my sorcerer build? (Again, an opinion question)
Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
Q.1. Are there any Large +0 LA races?
Q.2.As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
Q.3. What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?
Q.5. Where can I find this “Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil” everyone is talking about?
Q.6. What is GURPS?

{The first few versions of this thread seemed to run pretty efficiently, but if you have any comments about how this thread could be improved please PM me.}

Please start over with the numbering. Thanks.

bugsysservant
2007-12-12, 04:38 PM
Q.1. Can someone with a burrow speed and a reach weapon attack someone above from underground?

For instance, could a mineral warrior with a glaive stand underground and jab upperward, avoiding being attacked?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-12, 04:44 PM
A. 001

The rules are not entirely clear, but you probably could not do it with a reach weapon, since the ground would provide total cover both ways.

However being just below the ground (0-5 feet) and attacking with a regular weapon without fear of retaliation should be possible. (The surface dweller would have to ready an action to attack the burrowed attacker)

ryuteki
2007-12-12, 05:46 PM
Q.2

Do the basic combat rules cover how to throw someone over a railing and off of a ship, without actually going over yourself?

Theli
2007-12-12, 05:50 PM
A. 2

I don't believe so. But there are rules for bullrushing someone off a train railing/window in the Explorer's Handbook (an Eberron accessory.)

AngelAndrius
2007-12-12, 07:13 PM
Q3 I only have a PDF of the PGtF but I can't seem to find the LA+0 Aasimar anywhere inside. What page is it on?

cupkeyk
2007-12-12, 08:04 PM
Q3 I only have a PDF of the PGtF but I can't seem to find the LA+0 Aasimar anywhere inside. What page is it on?

Uhh, I am not sure how legal your question is. It's something like 163, third or second to the last page or something.

AngelAndrius
2007-12-12, 08:27 PM
Didn't mean to be illegal :smallfrown:

Sorry about that, I thought it was pretty safe.

martyboy74
2007-12-12, 08:47 PM
He meant procedure-wise, not WotC-wise.

Douglas
2007-12-12, 08:49 PM
No, that fit the procedure perfectly. The question itself is legal. His possession of a PDF of PGtF may or may not be legal depending on how he acquired it.

Fax Celestis
2007-12-12, 08:53 PM
No, that fit the procedure perfectly. The question itself is legal. His possession of a PDF of PGtF may or may not be legal depending on how he acquired it.

I believe common acceptance around here is that if one mentions they have the PDF, they purchased the eBook.

Naihal
2007-12-12, 10:23 PM
Q4. Do channeled spells, such as channeled pyroburst, automatically discharge after reaching their maximum casting time? In other words, can I take three full rounds to discharge channeled pyroburst instead of two if I wanted to?

Fax Celestis
2007-12-12, 10:40 PM
A4 You can, but it won't have any additional effect.

StickMan
2007-12-12, 11:34 PM
Q5. Do familiars gain bonus feats. The section on familiars states:

Hit Dice: For the purpose of effects related to number of Hit Dice use the master's character level or the familiar's normal HD total, whichever is higher. and wouldn't gaining feats be an effect related to Hit Dice?

Reinboom
2007-12-13, 01:27 AM
Q. 006
Just to be sure, can you take 10 on knowledge checks?

Gralamin
2007-12-13, 01:43 AM
A. 006
Yes, the rules on Taking 10 state:

Taking 10

When your character is not being threatened or distracted, you may choose to take 10.
Any skills you cannot take 10 on will directly say so, but I do not recall any skills that disallow taking 10 offhand. Note that in battle, you cannot take 10 on Knowledge Checks without Skill Mastery.

Chronos
2007-12-13, 01:56 AM
Any skills you cannot take 10 on will directly say so, but I do not recall any skills that disallow taking 10 offhand.Barring some non-core class features, you can't take 10 on Use Magic Device.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-13, 02:37 AM
A. 005

No, even though WotC has used very liberal interpretations of effect previously.

It clearly refers to in game effects where the outcome is influenced by how many HD a target posses, such as special abilities, spells, powers etc.

Adumbration
2007-12-13, 09:13 AM
Q. 007

Is there a Large sized creature with LA +1 or lower, and preferably without any HD? (I know, a slim chance, but had to ask anyway.)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-13, 09:20 AM
A. 007

I am afraid not.

I think the best you can do is the Half-Ogre with LA +2 and no racial HD from Races of destiny.

Goliaths and Half-Giants both have Powerful Build and a LA +1, which smells a bit like being large.

AKA_Bait
2007-12-13, 01:14 PM
Q. 008

Do the quasispells cast through use of a reserve feat allow for SR if the spell used to power the feat does not?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-13, 01:23 PM
A. 008

As Supernatural abilities none of them allow for SR.

CelestialMonkey
2007-12-13, 02:35 PM
Q.9 Ok, so let's say I'm using a +1 flaming sling (strange I know but stick with me). If I'm loading it with magic stones via the magic stone spell, does the 1D6 +1 of the stones stack with the 1D6 fire +1 enchantment of the sling? I thought it did in 3rd edition then I found out that 3.5 rules don't allow you to stack enhancements of projectiles with the weapons that fire them. Then again, it's two different types of energy, so maybe it would work together...

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-13, 02:40 PM
A. 009

The +1 enhancements do not stack, they overlap, but any special abilities from either affects the projectile.

A +2 Flaming Sling firing +1 Shocking bullet would become a +2 flaming and shocking bullet.

AKA_Bait
2007-12-13, 02:49 PM
Q. 010

Are there any acid spells bettween 2nd and 4th level (inclusive) in the schools of abjuration, divination, enchantment, illusion, or transmutation?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-13, 03:02 PM
A. 010 Partial

Energized Shield (Clr 3, Pal 2) and the lesser version (Clr 2, Pal 1) are abjuration spells from the Spell Compendium.

Curmudgeon
2007-12-13, 05:36 PM
A 10

The "acid" part of your question is a little vague.

Venomfire (Serpent Kingdoms) has the [Acid] descriptor and meets your other criteria.

Energize Potion (Book of Exalted Deeds), Energy Surge and Lesser Energy Surge (both PH2), Glyph of Warding (PH), and Weapon Of Energy (Spell Compendium) are all spells that meet your criteria and allow for dealing acid damage. There are also quite a few spells that protect from acid damage, but I'm guessing that's not what you had in mind.

Water to Acid (Stormwrack) does what the name specifies.

AKA_Bait
2007-12-13, 05:46 PM
Q. 010 Clarification

I was a bit vague because CM was a bit vague. Basically, I'm wondering if there is a spell that a Spelltheif can learn that would allow them to take the Acidic Splatter reserve feat and if so, what that spell is.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-13, 06:27 PM
A. 010 follow up

CM could have been more clear, but you need the Acid descriptor, so both Energy Surge (and the lesser version) and Weapon of Energy will do the trick.

Seffbasilisk
2007-12-13, 09:23 PM
Q. 11 As a Warlock, can I use 'Hideous Blow' on a weapon taking an AoO? Can I use it while using 'Eldrich Glaive' to take AoO's at a distance?

Q. 12 Can I use 'Hideous Blow' to enhance the damage done by my weapon during a Swordsage maneuver?

Q. 13 As a Hellfire Warlock, I have the feat 'Improved Critical: Hellfire Blast'. If I crit with a weapon using 'Hideous Blow' to channel my Hellfire blast, do I multiply the Hellfire blast damage as well? Or do I only get that crit when just blasting with pure hellfire?

Xefas
2007-12-13, 10:53 PM
Q. 15a

Do the glass/fragile/crystal objects effected by the area-affect use of Shatter get a saving throw of any kind if they're unattended? Do they get one if they are attended?

Q. 15b

Does the single target affect of Shatter outright destroy the object it is targeting, or only deal 1d6 sonic damage per level, like it does when targeted against creatures? Does the object get a saving throw if attended/unattended?

Human Paragon 3
2007-12-14, 12:37 AM
q16

I am a level 10 master of many forms, and therefore can turn into a diminutive aberration, among other options. A mimic is an aberration, but it is listed as large. Could I transform into a diminutive mimic? How about a gargantuan pixie?

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-14, 12:57 AM
A 16

I don't think MoMF lets you alter the size of what you change into. It just gives you the ability to take the form of smaller and larger creatures than are normally allowed.

A15a

Unattended non-magical items do not get saving throws.
Unattended magic items get a save equal to 1/2 caster level.
Attended non-magical items use the save of the character.
Atteneded magical items use the character's save, or 1/2 caster level, whichever is greater.

Human Paragon 3
2007-12-14, 01:25 AM
A 16

I don't think MoMF lets you alter the size of what you change into. It just gives you the ability to take the form of smaller and larger creatures than are normally allowed.

That's sad. Can I get a 2nd opinion on that? It seems like an over-restrictive reading on the rules, to me. Under that interpretation, you couldn't even use your mastery of many forms to grow or shrink one size category (Large or Small Humanoid) without turning into a halfling or similar.

tyckspoon
2007-12-14, 01:29 AM
That's sad. Can I get a 2nd opinion on that? It seems like an over-restrictive reading on the rules, to me. Under that interpretation, you couldn't even use your mastery of many forms to grow or shrink one size category (Large or Small Humanoid) without turning into a halfling or similar.

My understanding is the same. You could potentially turn into an advanced and therefore larger version of a particular creature if your HD cap is high enough (I have seen a statement that you can't do that, either Sage or FAQ, but I don't think the actual rules are written in such a way as to prohibit it), but you cannot become anything smaller than the base version of a creature.

Edit: While I'm here, A 11, 12, 13: Hideous Blow Questions

11. Hideous Blow requires a standard action to invoke. Attacks of Opportunity do not grant an action, only a single attack. The answer is no; Hideous Blow may not be used for Attacks of Opportunity.

12. Again, no. Strikes are usually Standard actions, and you cannot take two Standard actions at the same time. It would be possible to use a Swift action such as a boost and then perform a Hideous Blow with the benefits of the boost, if desired.

13. This depends on how you interpret the Hideous Blow, I think. If it is a weapon attack that inflicts the Eldritch Blast as extra damage, the Eldritch Blast does not crit- extra damage dice in general are not multiplied by a critical hit (See also: Sneak Attack, energy-enchanted weapons.) If it is an Eldritch Blast that does bonus weapon damage, the Eldritch Blast gets a critical bonus but the weapon damage does not. As the attack roll is a standard melee attack, the intent appears to be that the weapon is the primary weapon and the Eldritch Blast damage is a non-crittable bonus.

Stephen_E
2007-12-14, 02:02 AM
Q17
Horseshoes of the Zephyr give the wearer the ability to move without leaving tracks/been able to be tracked.

Trackless Step - Class ability - means you pass without leaving tracks and can't be tracked.

Would wearing Horseshoes of Zephyr, or equivalent for non-hoved creature, count as meeting a Prestige Class prereq Trackless Step?

Thanks
Stephen

tyckspoon
2007-12-14, 02:10 AM
A 17

No. If the prerequisite says Trackless Step, you need Trackless Step (or another ability that says it counts as Trackless Step.) The horseshoes could qualify for a more loosely-written requirement along the lines of 'the ability to move without tracks', but they do not adequately substitute for actually having the class feature.

Stephen_E
2007-12-14, 02:10 AM
11. Hideous Blow requires a standard action to invoke. Attacks of Opportunity do not grant an action, only a single attack. The answer is no; Hideous Blow may not be used for Attacks of Opportunity.

Q11 - checking answer
Doesn't the PHB define a single attack as a standard action.
i.e. An AOO allows you to do the specific standard action - a single melee attack.

Is there some other definition of a single attack where it isn't a standard action?

Stephen

Gralamin
2007-12-14, 02:18 AM
Q11 - checking answer
Doesn't the PHB define a single attack as a standard action.
i.e. An AOO allows you to do the specific standard action - a single melee attack.

Is there some other definition of a single attack where it isn't a standard action?

Stephen

A11 Clarification
A single melee attack is a standard action, but you cannot use other standard actions because an AOO specifies the type of standard action: a single melee attack.

Stephen_E
2007-12-14, 02:30 AM
A11 Clarification
A single melee attack is a standard action, but you cannot use other standard actions because an AOO specifies the type of standard action: a single melee attack.

Q11 Clarification

You can use special melee attacks that are standard action instead of a standard melee attack. This is why you can Trip with a AOO.

Isn't Hideous Blow a special melee attack done as a standard action that allows you to channel your Eldritch Blast with a Melee Attack. So therefore shouldn't you be able to use a Hideous Blow as an AOO?

Or is their some errata redefining what a Hideous Blow is?

Stephen

tyckspoon
2007-12-14, 02:39 AM
Q11 Clarification

You can use special melee attacks that are standard action instead of a standard melee attack. This is why you can Trip with a AOO.

Isn't Hideous Blow a special melee attack done as a standard action that allows you to channel your Eldritch Blast with a Melee Attack. So therefore shouldn't you be able to use a Hideous Blow as an AOO?

Or is their some errata redefining what a Hideous Blow is?

Stephen

You can make an AoO with special attack options that are directly equivalent to a normal melee attack- that is, any option for which you could trade out an attack in a Full Attack sequence. Hideous Blow is not that kind of attack; it's a specific Standard action that includes an attack, like casting a touch spell.

Curmudgeon
2007-12-14, 02:49 AM
Q11 Clarification

You can use special melee attacks that are standard action instead of a standard melee attack. This is why you can Trip with a AOO. No, that's not right. Trip, sunder, disarm, and the like are all "special attacks". They are not standard actions. You can use one of these special attacks when you are allowed to make an attack. This can be any of the following:
a standard action attack
a full attack
an attack of opportunity
a bonus attack (such as that granted by the Improved Trip feat)
Special attacks are not interchangeable with particular standard actions, such as that specified by Hideous Blow.

Edit: Ninja'ed by tyckspoon.

Stephen_E
2007-12-14, 04:46 AM
Q17

Let me know if people think this goes beyond "simple Q&A.

What sort of action is an AOO?

1) Standard Action
2) Move Action
3) Full Round Action
4) Free Action
5) No Action
6) Action type varies

I beleive the answer is 1) A standard action. Subset - Melee Attack.

Q18
What can you do as a AOO?

My understanding following the rules in the PHB is that any melee attack that can be done as a standard action. This would appear (as per RAW not counting any errat I'm not aware of) to include something such as Peirce Magical Protection (comp Arcane) or any other action that says "as a standard action you may make a melee attack".

If I'm mistaken on either of these can you explain, using the RAW on actions from the PHB or somewhere else, why your answer is right.

Thanks
Stephen

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-14, 04:55 AM
A. 018 & 019 (NOT 17 & 18)

An AoO is a "free attack" that does not require you to take an action. With a few exceptions actions can only be taken on your turn, this includes standard actions of which you get only one in a round that you can perform on your initiative count.

As an AoO you can make a single melee attack. You cannot do anything that requires you to do more than make such an attack.

Making an Attack of Opportunity: An attack of opportunity is a single melee attack, and you can only make one per round.

Rad
2007-12-14, 05:20 AM
A 17 (not so sure)

A 17

No. If the prerequisite says Trackless Step, you need Trackless Step (or another ability that says it counts as Trackless Step.) The horseshoes could qualify for a more loosely-written requirement along the lines of 'the ability to move without tracks', but they do not adequately substitute for actually having the class feature.

3.0 had the rule of the "virtual feats" that said that a class, racial or other ability which was the same of another can be used to meet prerequisites. Don't know if they kept it in 3.5 though.

Stephen_E
2007-12-14, 05:39 AM
Q. 11 As a Warlock, can I use 'Hideous Blow' on a weapon taking an AoO? Can I use it while using 'Eldrich Glaive' to take AoO's at a distance?

Q. 12 Can I use 'Hideous Blow' to enhance the damage done by my weapon during a Swordsage maneuver?

A.11
No, because an invocation is a spell-like ability. AOOs don't permit the use of spell-like abilities. It is a spell-like ability that allows you to make a melee attack, but still a spell-like ability. In the same way that you can't cast a touch spell as an AOO.

Note: That you can make a touch attack as an AOO if you have a stored charge, but invocations can't be stored to the best of my knowledge.

A.12

No. Hideous Blow is a spell-like action that takes a standard action. Unless you can make a Sword Sage manuver as a Swift/Free action, you can't do it at the same time as Hideous Blow (or visa versa. You'd have to reduce a standard action spell-like ability to a swift or free action).

The important points are that invocations are spell-like abilities so should be checked under the "spell-like abilities" actions. Hideous Blow is an Invocation that allows a Melee attack as part of the "use spell-like ability" action. Not a melee attack action itself.

Stephen

PS If anyone wonders why I was asking for clarifications earlier. I was unsatified with the reasoning to the answers in that they didn't seem to make sense. So I sat down and read through the Comp Arcane, PHB, Errata and FAQ section on this several times until I was certain I understood why the answers were what they were.

Stephen_E
2007-12-14, 05:56 AM
A. 017 & 18

An AoO is a "free attack" that does not require you to take an action. With a few exceptions actions can only be taken on your turn, this includes standard actions of which you get only one in a round that you can perform on your initiative count.

As an AoO you can make a single melee attack. You cannot do anything that requires you to do more than make such an attack.

Making an Attack of Opportunity: An attack of opportunity is a single melee attack, and you can only make one per round.

Attack
Making an attack is a standard action.

An attack of opportunity "interrupts" the normal flow of actions in the round. If an attack of opportunity is provoked, immediately resolve the attack of opportunity, then continue with the next character’s turn (or complete the current turn, if the attack of opportunity was provoked in the midst of a character’s turn).

I can't find anything in the rules that say AOOs aren't actions.
The rules say they "interrupt the normal flow of actions" but this statement in no way implys it isn't an action.
The rules say single attacks are standard actions.
The rules say AOOs allow a single melee attack.

Therefore I can't see how by RAW it's possible to come to any conclusion other than AOOs are a standard action - Melee attack.

Note that in a normal round you can only make 1 standard action, but AOOs interrupt the normal flow of actions.

Stephen

Level20Commoner
2007-12-14, 07:21 AM
Q19 Salutations! First time poster, long time lurker. My question has to do with multi-classing. The basic rule that says "no classes may be more than 1 level apart or else" is easy enough to understand, but the rules governing fully 'completed' classes seems to be either vague or hard to find (probably the latter).

Please consider the following example. Suppose I wanted to enter the "Maester" prestige class. If memory serves it is only 3 levels in total. Once I have completed the class, must I still factor in my 3 levels of Maester when determining if I will suffer an XP penalty on future level gains. My gut tells me no, and this is why. If one has ever looked at stat blocks that were made for Gods/Goddesses, they usually look something like this: Barbarian 20/ Fighter 20/ Ranger 20/ Wizard 20. Now I suppose that the god in my example could have taken each of his/her/its four maxed out classes 1 level at a time to prevent multi-classing penalties, but I think it much more likely that he/she/it completed the Barbarian class (that is to say reached level 20), then completed each of the other classes in turn. Clarification on the finer points of multi-classing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Khanderas
2007-12-14, 07:34 AM
Q19 Salutations! First time poster, long time lurker. My question has to do with multi-classing. The basic rule that says "no classes may be more than 1 level apart or else" is easy enough to understand, but the rules governing fully 'completed' classes seems to be either vague or hard to find (probably the latter).

Please consider the following example. Suppose I wanted to enter the "Maester" prestige class. If memory serves it is only 3 levels in total. Once I have completed the class, must I still factor in my 3 levels of Maester when determining if I will suffer an XP penalty on future level gains. My gut tells me no, and this is why. If one has ever looked at stat blocks that were made for Gods/Goddesses, they usually look something like this: Barbarian 20/ Fighter 20/ Ranger 20/ Wizard 20. Now I suppose that the god in my example could have taken each of his/her/its four maxed out classes 1 level at a time to prevent multi-classing penalties, but I think it much more likely that he/she/it completed the Barbarian class (that is to say reached level 20), then completed each of the other classes in turn. Clarification on the finer points of multi-classing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Pristiege classes and your race's favored classes do not apply when considering multiclasspenalties.

So the short and easy answer is: The Maester class is a prestige class and therefore ignore it when calculating your XP penalty.

The gods part... Well they are gods. Those levels are more a thing they give themselves for Saving throws, Casterlevels and whatnot. Problebly comes with the domains / personality of the deity in question. I wouldnt think of it much.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-14, 11:43 AM
A. 018 & 019 Continued

I can't find anything in the rules that say AOOs aren't actions.
The rules say they "interrupt the normal flow of actions" but this statement in no way implys it isn't an action.

It is not listed as a standard action or any other type of action anywhere, because actions are normally performed on your turn. AoOs are an exception that allows you to something that ""interrupts" the normal flow of actions" and allow you to make a "single melee attack".
That's it. A single melee attack, not a standard action, not a full-round action, not a move action, but one single melee attack.

Each round of a combat uses the same initiative order. When a character’s turn comes up in the initiative sequence, that character performs his entire round’s worth of actions. (For exceptions, see Attacks of Opportunity and Special Initiative Actions.)

The rules say single attacks are standard actions.
The rules say AOOs allow a single melee attack.

Therefore I can't see how by RAW it's possible to come to any conclusion other than AOOs are a standard action - Melee attack.

Apples are a kind of fruit.
Oranges are a kind of fruit.
So apples are oranges?

If you still disagree, I suggest you start a new thread, where a large number of people can tell you the same thing I just did, but some of them will probably be able to do it with more finesse and eloquence. :smallsmile:

NEXT QUESTION IS Q. 21

Duke of URL
2007-12-14, 11:48 AM
Q21

Under the assumption that you can replace any attack in a full attack action with a melee touch attack (e.g., with a BAB of +11, you could make 3 touch attacks in a single round, or intersperse one or more touch attacks with regular attacks, as long as the total equals three), can a Monk using Flurry of Blows make touch attacks as part of the Flurry?

Also, if you can take secondary attacks with a natural weapon (such as a claw), could you choose to make a melee touch attack with the natural weapon as well, or do natural weapons have to make regular melee attacks?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-14, 11:55 AM
A. 021 Clarification

Q21

Under the assumption that you can replace any attack in a full attack action with a melee touch attack (e.g., with a BAB of +11, you could make 3 touch attacks in a single round, or intersperse one or more touch attacks with regular attacks, as long as the total equals three), can a Monk using Flurry of Blows make touch attacks as part of the Flurry?

Also, if you can take secondary attacks with a natural weapon (such as a claw), could you choose to make a melee touch attack with the natural weapon as well, or do natural weapons have to make regular melee attacks?

What kind of touch attack are we talking about here? I assume you want to accomplish something special and not just touch people.

If the touch attack in question can be substitute a regular attack then the answer to the first part would be yes.

The secondary attacks with natural weapons can generally not be replaced by touch attacks, but sometimes a natural weapon is used to deliver a touch attack, but that is another matter entirely.

Duke of URL
2007-12-14, 11:58 AM
Q21 clarification

A. 021 Clarification

What kind of touch attack are we talking about here? I assume you want to accomplish something special and not just touch people.

If the touch attack in question can be substitute a regular attack then the answer to the first part would be yes.

Specific example: A Monk with the Touch of Golden Ice feat (BoED) decides evil opponent's AC is too high to hit with regular attacks, but still wishes to afflict Golden Ice on opponent, so he chooses to switch to non-damaging touch attacks just to deliver the automatic touch ability. Can he take advantage of his Flurry of Blows ability to increase the number of touch attacks he makes?

The secondary attacks with natural weapons can generally not be replaced by touch attacks, but sometimes a natural weapon is used to deliver a touch attack, but that is another matter entirely.

I figured as much, but it was worth checking. :smallamused:

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-14, 12:14 PM
A. 021

Ahh, the Book of Exalted Cheese. :smallwink:

The touch attacks are made with the unarmed strikes, so I see no problem with allowing the use of FoB.

It does not make much sense, but any natural weapons still require a regular attack to deliver the effect.

cupkeyk
2007-12-14, 12:48 PM
Q22

Is the creature affected by Nightmare Lullaby (SpC) helpless(sleeping) AND confused at the same time?

Asmodeus
2007-12-14, 01:17 PM
Q22

Is the creature affected by Nightmare Lullaby (SpC) helpless(sleeping) AND confused at the same time?

A 22

No. The creature is only confused. Not helpless.

The target must make a will saving throw or become confused, thinking it has entered a nightmare.

Bayar
2007-12-14, 02:16 PM
Q23
Can a creature attempt to attack a humanoid version of the Dancing Lights spell? Does it need a Will save to tell it's not a real thing?

Q24
Can you choose what kind of humanoid the Dancing light spell take? i.e. human, halfling, kobold(think it is a reptilian...)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-14, 02:25 PM
A. 023

It can attempt it and will most likely notice that it is just lights as soon as they are hit.

It is not an illusion, it is just Dancing Lights, so no saving throw is involved. If the attack is made at a distance a DM might call for a spot check, but it is a judgment call.

A. 024

There does not seem to be much room for detail, but you could probably give them a tail and make them smaller than average.

... faintly glowing, vaguely humanoid shape.

Bayar
2007-12-14, 05:03 PM
Q.25
Can Light be cast on yourself...so you can shine?

Sry for these awkvard questions, but I wanna try something different...

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-14, 05:06 PM
A. 025

The target has to be an object, but you could choose any item on your person.

Target: Object touched

TheLogman
2007-12-14, 05:21 PM
Q.026 Is there any rule prohibiting a Druid from Wild Shape-ing into a swarm of animals? (Considering the subtype on said animals is Animal, not Animals)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-14, 05:27 PM
A. 026

A swarm is by definition more than one animal, which each have the animal subtype. Notice the size listed for the animals. (Which incidentally also would prevent many of the swarms as the Druid can change into anything smaller than tiny.)

A swarm of Tiny creatures consists of 300 nonflying creatures or 1,000 flying creatures. A swarm of Diminutive creatures consists of 1,500 nonflying creatures or 5,000 flying creatures. A swarm of Fine creatures consists of 10,000 creatures, whether they are flying or not.

cupkeyk
2007-12-14, 05:44 PM
A. 026

A swarm is by definition more than one animal, which each have the animal subtype. Notice the size listed for the animals. (Which incidentally also would prevent many of the swarms as the Druid can change into anything smaller than tiny.)

Otherwise, they would not have made a PRC for it. It's in Savage Species. But I don't recall what it's called.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-14, 05:47 PM
Otherwise, they would not have made a PRC for it. It's in Savage Species. But I don't recall what it's called.

Master of Flies.

Tortoise262
2007-12-14, 07:14 PM
Q. 027
I have a halfling. His rapier is fit for a small character, and so weighs 1 pound. If under the effects of Reduce Person, his rapier is "similarly reduced by the spell." Does that mean it becomes a Tiny rapier and weighs .5 pounds, or is the weight divided by 8, as my character is?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-14, 07:19 PM
A. 027

Your rapier becomes a rapier sized for tiny creatures and its weight is divided by 2.

For some reason weapons have different weights assigned according to size.

kjones
2007-12-14, 08:22 PM
Q 28

The Feigned Opening maneuver from Setting Sun is a swift action, but is used in response to attacks of opportunity. Does this mean that can only be used against attacks of opportunity that happen during your turn (i. e. rising from prone, etc.) and not while doing stuff like moving?

Q 29
The Shifting Stance maneuver allows you to take a 5-ft. move whenever anyone attacks them, consuming an AoO for each move. Can this maneuver only be used against Attacks of Opportunity, or any attacks? If it's used against an AoO, can you take a move that's not on your turn?

Chronos
2007-12-14, 08:48 PM
Q030: Can a spellcaster using Detect Magic, Arcane Sight, or similar magic, detect the presence and/or boundary of an Anti-Magic Field?

Gralamin
2007-12-14, 09:00 PM
A028

If you provoke an Attack of Opportunity, it will usually be on your turn, and as long as you have not used a swift action this turn you may use Feigned Opening.
Edit
If you provoke one on another's turn, then you may not use Feigned Opening.

A029

You mean the Shifting Defense stance

While you are in this stance, you can make an immediate 5-foot step each time an opponent attacks you. Moving in this manner consumes one of your attacks of opportunity in the current round. You cannot move in this manner if you have no attacks of opportunity remaining.
As long as you are attacked, and have a attack of opportunity available in the round, then you may take a 5 ft step.

"If it's used against an AoO, can you take a move that's not on your turn?"
I'm not sure what you mean, as you usually provoke attacks of opportunity on your turn.
Edit If for example you mean two untrained trippers tripping each other, could one take a 5 foot step away? Yes, but it stop all trip attempts?

A030

By RAW yes, as it would be a field of Moderate or Strong abjuration magic.

Edited after consideration

Ryuuk
2007-12-14, 11:03 PM
Q 031

A Ring of Mystic Fire (Magic Item Compendium) lets you expend charges to give additional d6s worth of fire damage to a spell. How would this work with Scorching Ray? Does each ray get the boost or just the first ray?

Curmudgeon
2007-12-15, 02:36 AM
A 031

The Ring of Mystic Fire gives a bonus to the damage you deal with the next fire spell, not fire attack, so you only get the damage boost once.

Sstoopidtallkid
2007-12-15, 04:31 AM
Q 032

The geometer prestige class(Complete Arcane) adds the Glyph of Warding (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/glyphOfWarding.htm) to your spellist. If I ban Abjuration, can I still cast it?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-15, 05:32 AM
A. 032

Yes.

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-15, 11:05 AM
Q33 Are their any feats that give DR. If so which.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-15, 11:13 AM
A. 033 Partial

The Epic level feat Damage Reduction from Complete Warrior.

Divine Damage Reduction from Races of Stone.

Adamantine Body from Eberon Campaign setting.

Improved Damage Reduction from Eberon Campaign Setting improves already exisxting DR and so does Thick-skinned from Savage Species.

The prerequisites are either severe or very specific.

Amiria
2007-12-15, 12:59 PM
Q 34

Potions of Enlarge Person are more expensive than other potions of 1st level spells because using potion is a standard action while casting the spell requires 1 round.

How does this carry over to potions with a caster level greater than 1 ? Is it always x5 or is it 250 + 50gp per caster level above 1 ?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-15, 02:18 PM
A. 034

There are no rules for increasing price based on casting time.
The listed price for the Enlarge Person potion would have to assume that it was made at CL 5 instead of CL 1.

It can duplicate the effect of a spell of up to 3rd level that has a casting time of less than 1 minute.

The ... cost for brewing the potion—25 gp x the level of the spell x the level of the caster.

ski309
2007-12-15, 03:36 PM
Q 035
Can a wizard prepare a lower-level spell in place of a higher level spell (ie., a wizard is out of level 1 spell preparations and prepares another level 1 spell instead of a level 2 spell)?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-15, 03:43 PM
A. 035

Yes.

Spell Slots: The various character class tables show how many spells of each level a character can cast per day. These openings for daily spells are called spell slots. A spellcaster always has the option to fill a higher-level spell slot with a lower-level spell. A spellcaster who lacks a high enough ability score to cast spells that would otherwise be his or her due still gets the slots but must fill them with spells of lower level.

Akennedy
2007-12-15, 04:01 PM
Q. 36

With Karmic Strike (pg 102 of CW), do I get an AoO when it comes back to my turn to hit the opponent that hit me; or do I get an AoO as soon as he hits me?

In other words, when do I resolve the AoO due to karmic strike?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-15, 04:05 PM
A. 036

You "activate" the feat on your turn, but the AoO is taken as soon as the opportunity presents itself.

Alveanerle
2007-12-15, 04:53 PM
Q. 037
A. Do all wizard spell slots have to be filled at the same time?
B. Can wizards have more than one memorization session per day, assuming that neither of those memorization sessions deals with common spell slots?

In other words, is the following scenario possible:
[6:00] After waking up from decent all night sleep Flunkey the Wizard of Doom opens up his spellbook and decides to refresh his understanding of inner workings of a spell "magic missile" that he used up the day before. No other spell slots get touched.
[12:00] Flunkey decides to sit down for some time again, forget an identify spell that he had memorized, and memorize some other spell in its place.

The slot where identify was memorized was not touched in the first memorization run - the noon session would be the first and only touching of that spell slot for the day.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-15, 05:11 PM
A. 037

A. No.

B. Yes.

When preparing spells for the day, a wizard can leave some of these spell slots open. Later during that day, she can repeat the preparation process as often as she likes, time and circumstances permitting. During these extra sessions of preparation, the wizard can fill these unused spell slots. She cannot, however, abandon a previously prepared spell to replace it with another one or fill a slot that is empty because she has cast a spell in the meantime. That sort of preparation requires a mind fresh from rest. Like the first session of the day, this preparation takes at least 15 minutes, and it takes longer if the wizard prepares more than one-quarter of her spells.

Douglas
2007-12-15, 05:16 PM
A37 clarification
That exact scenario is not possible. The wizard would not be able to replace a memorized Identify in the second session. Memorization sessions after the first can only involve spell slots that were left completely empty.

Fax Celestis
2007-12-15, 05:38 PM
A37 Debate There is no explicit statement in any location that says that prepared spells can only fill empty spots. Move along, nothing to see here.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-15, 05:41 PM
A. 037...

No? :smallwink:

She cannot, however, abandon a previously prepared spell to replace it with another one or fill a slot that is empty because she has cast a spell in the meantime.

EDIT:

Fast edit there Fax. :smallamused:

Chronos
2007-12-15, 06:28 PM
Q 038: Can a spontaneous spellcaster use a higher-level Spells Known slot to learn a lower-level spell? For instance, if a sorcerer has learned his limit of cantrips, can he learn Mage Hand in place of a first-level spell?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-15, 06:35 PM
A. 038

RAW, no. You get what's on the table.

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-16, 06:01 AM
Q39 Can you have to professions and get money from both.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-16, 06:11 AM
A. 039

You can certainly have two professions, but making money from more than one a week is probably not supported by the RAW, depending on your definition of dedicated work.

Check: You can practice your trade and make a decent living, earning about half your Profession check result in gold pieces per week of dedicated work. You know how to use the tools of your trade, how to perform the profession’s daily tasks, how to supervise helpers, and how to handle common problems.

Action: Not applicable. A single check generally represents a week of work.

If you have a Ring of Sustenance or similar a case could be made that you could work part time in another profession, but the details would have to be worked out between DM and player.

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-16, 07:13 AM
Q39 Do traps have a minimum cost?

UserClone
2007-12-16, 07:41 AM
Q40: Is there a limit on Inspiration points spent on sneak attack per round for the Factotum, or for that matter, any IP ability which doesn't appear to have a hard-and-fast limit?
Q41: Is it just me, or can you get a crapload of AC (albeit for a short time) just by spamming Cunning Defense?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-16, 07:41 AM
A. 040 (NOT 39)

Q39 Do traps have a minimum cost?

No, some spell can be considered traps and cast at a negligible cost. (Especially compared to the highly inflated trap prices listed in the DMG)

RAW does not provide a minimum cost, but I think the cheapest listed is 85 gp for a Fire Trap (25 gp for the material component if you can cast the spell yourself).

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-16, 07:53 AM
A. 041 (Not 40)

Q40: Is there a limit on Inspiration points spent on sneak attack per round for the Factotum, or for that matter, any IP ability which doesn't appear to have a hard-and-fast limit?

No, you can spend as many IP on sneak attack as you have points available, but some of the other abilities might not stack with themselves.

Q40: Is it just me, or can you get a crapload of AC (albeit for a short time) just by spamming Cunning Defense?

It is just you I am afraid. You can use CD against several opponents, but you cannot spend more than one point on any one opponent.

UserClone
2007-12-16, 08:25 AM
RE: A41: Wow. Uncanny how not reading the last sentence of a paragraph can alter one's perspective. Whoops.

Asmodeus
2007-12-16, 10:39 PM
Q. 42

The Phylactery of Undead Turning aids a Cleric when they make a Turn Undead check.

When a Cleric can turn more than just undead, such as a cleric with the Air Domain, does the Phylactery aid with these turn attempts as well, or only when used against undead?

Q. 43

Is it possible to have a Negative AC, or is there some Minimum of 0 rule?

Q. 44

When a Living Spell (Eberron Campaign Setting) makes an Engulf attack, does it do any extra damage beyond the effects of the spell? Any grappling or crushing damage?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-17, 03:51 AM
A. 042

The description only refer to Turning of Undeads I am afraid.

A. 043

There is no minimum.

A. 044

No, only the spell effect.

Bayar
2007-12-17, 07:07 AM
Q45
If you have armor with less than 4 AC, and recieve Mage armor, you get ac 4 instead of your normal armor?
Q46
If you have armor of 4 or more AC and recieve Mage armor, you dont get to use the Mage armor AC, but can you benefit from the "incorporeal creatures can't bypass it" thing?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-17, 07:11 AM
A. 045

Yes.

A. 046

Yes, you will benefit from the "force effect" for the +4 provided by Mage Armor.

cupkeyk
2007-12-17, 08:26 AM
Q47

Does Summon Elysian Thrush on top of Healthful Rest and a (self sacrificing) longterm care heal check allow up to six people to heal 8/level of hit points over eight hours of rest?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-17, 08:43 AM
A. 047

All three "effects" (the term is used loosely) double your normal natural healing rate and since all double the base you end up with 4 times the normal natural healing rate as per the D&D multiplying rules or 4 HP for 8 hours.

cupkeyk
2007-12-17, 08:52 AM
A. 047

All three "effects" (the term is used loosely) double your normal natural healing rate and since all double the base you end up with 4 times the normal natural healing rate as per the D&D multiplying rules or 4 HP for 8 hours.

Hmmmn, actually won't it be six, since long-term care is 2/level (instead of doubling it), healthful rest doubles it to 4 and elysian thrush "doubles" it again to 6?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-17, 08:58 AM
Hmmmn, actually won't it be six, since long-term care is 2/level (instead of doubling it), healthful rest doubles it to 4 and elysian thrush "doubles" it again to 6?

No, Long-Term Care also doubles the normal rate instead of providing 2 hp/level. (They just spelled it out)

Long-Term Care: ... If your Heal check is successful, the patient recovers hit points or ability score points (lost to ability damage) at twice the normal rate ...

cupkeyk
2007-12-17, 09:27 AM
Q48

Will a bard 10/sublime chord 10 who selected bardic knack have +5 "ranks" to any skill and an (int modifier)+10 to bardic knowledge?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-17, 09:41 AM
A. 048

Yes.

Asmodeus
2007-12-17, 10:21 AM
A. 042

The description only refer to Turning of Undeads I am afraid.

A. 043

There is no minimum.

A. 044

No, only the spell effect.

Thanks. I'll sacrafice some virgin popcorn in your name at midnight tonight.

Thyatira3902
2007-12-17, 11:36 AM
Q.0049

In Tome of Battle, each discipline has favored weapons. Do you have to use those weapons in order to use the maneuvers/strikes/counters? Or is that only if it explicitly states it in the description of the maneuver?

squishycube
2007-12-17, 11:47 AM
A49
I do not actually own the book, so this is not a definitive answer, but based on how things usually go in D&D you'd only have to use the favoured weapon if it explicitly says so in the description.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-17, 12:08 PM
The Cube o' Jello has reached a state of jigglyness where it is no longer necessary to read a book to understand its meaning. :smallwink:

Thanks. I'll sacrafice some virgin popcorn in your name at midnight tonight.

Make that extra virgin with no butter. (The Holidays are fast approaching.) :smalltongue:

Ryuuk
2007-12-17, 04:11 PM
Q 050

Would a Ring of Mystic Fire (MIC) boost the caster level of Spell like abilities with the fire descriptor?

Q 051

Assuming you have a Psychic Warrior 10 / Warmind 1, what would the manifester level of the power gained through the level in Warmind be?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-17, 04:16 PM
A. 050

No, it only applies to spells.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-17, 04:27 PM
A. 051

The War Mind's description does not mention any stacking of manifester levels, so the answer seems to be 1.

Power Points are not tracked separately.

cupkeyk
2007-12-17, 05:59 PM
Q52

I may be totally delusional in this but is there a spell focus(descriptor) feat, like spell focus (mind-affecting) or spell focus(fire)? If so, which book is it from/

Bayar
2007-12-17, 06:11 PM
Q53
Can true Strike give +20 on a ranged touch attack? I mean when you see if a spell hits the target...

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-17, 06:16 PM
A. 053

Yes, that is also an attack roll.

Theli
2007-12-17, 08:01 PM
Q.054

Are you considered armed, and capable of attacks of opportunity, if you only have a heavy shield equipped and are capable of shield bashing?

(For more detail, this person is a human with no martial weapons proficiency, doesn't have any form of improved unarmed strike, and there are no shield or armor spikes involved.)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-17, 08:08 PM
A. 054

Yes, shields are also weapons so you are not unarmed whether you are proficient with shield bashes.

tyckspoon
2007-12-17, 08:17 PM
A 54

Yes. A shield may be used as a martial weapon; a heavy shield is a one-handed bludgeon. It won't be a very effective weapon for that character- only d4 damage plus a non-proficiency penalty to hit- but it is a weapon.

A 51

There is no such general feat that I can find. There are however a number of similar feats, such as Cold Focus (Frostburn) and Spell Focus (pick one of Chaos, Law, Good, Evil) [Libris Mortis]; it would be fairly simple to homebrew a general Spell Focus (descriptor) feat based on such.

Tortoise262
2007-12-17, 08:53 PM
Q. 55
Can I attemt a bull rush while mounted? If I do, does the AoO from the defender go to me or my mount?

Asmodeus
2007-12-17, 10:23 PM
Q. 14
Can I attemt a bull rush while mounted? If I do, does the AoO from the defender go to me or my mount?

That should actually be question 55.

A 55

It is much more common to use the Overrun (trample) maneuver when mounted, however, a bullrush is possible. The following is a quote from the Rules of the Game article about Mounts (part 3) (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050208a).

Bull Rush: Initiating a bull rush while mounted works just like making a melee attack. You and your mount function as a single creature when resolving the bull rush.

Use your mount's size and Strength modifier for the opposed Strength check you make to resolve the bull rush.

Tortoise262
2007-12-17, 10:28 PM
Sorry, I think I was looking at the first page to get the Q number. I guess it woulda been better to take Trample instead of Weapon Focus, then. D'oh.

sixpence
2007-12-17, 10:47 PM
Q 56

Say a wizard uses the Alacritous Cogitation feat. This wizard comes up in battle against an enemy spellcaster who's casting a spell that the wizard knows but doesn't have specifically prepared, but could theoretically cast using Alacritous Cogitation. Could the wizard attempt to counterspell?

Asmodeus
2007-12-17, 10:48 PM
Sorry, I think I was looking at the first page to get the Q number. I guess it woulda been better to take Trample instead of Weapon Focus, then. D'oh.

Just a heads up... I edited my reply to be a little more clear about bull-rushing while mounted, and quoted my sources.

tyckspoon
2007-12-17, 11:47 PM
A 56

No, to the extent of my reading. Counterspelling requires readying an action, which allows you to prepare a standard, move, or free action. Alacritous Cogitation requires a full-round action to use.. hmm.

Q 57!
Is it possible to counter a spell with a casting time of 1 full round or a full-round action with itself, or is Dispel Magic the only option?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-18, 04:46 AM
A. 057

The rules don't go into detail about it, but no you cannot ready to counterspell a spell with a casting time longer than a standard action, due to the problem you mentioned about readying an action that is not a standard, free or move action.

It was dicussed a little here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2832058).

However, Dispel magic is not the only option. Improved Counterspell will also work for instance.

squishycube
2007-12-18, 06:09 AM
A51 Emphasis
Because I just spent 10 minutes trying to find a rule to correct the Eyelord's answer, only to find out that I overlooked the word "not" (and to add a source):
Multiclass psionic characters, that is characters with levels in multiple manifesting classes, have only one power point pool from which each class can draw as many power points as it wants. (Provided there are still power points in it, obviously.)

Source (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/index.htm)

The Cube o' Jello has reached a state of jigglyness where it is no longer necessary to read a book to understand its meaning. :smallwink:
Thank you, thank you, I will be here all week. I accept cash and cheques.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-18, 06:19 AM
A51 Emphasis
Because I just spent 10 minutes trying to find a rule to correct the Eyelord's answer, only to find out that I overlooked the word "not"...

You could have just asked. :smallamused:

It was really just an aside to the original question, but I thought it was worth mentioning. :smallwink:

squishycube
2007-12-18, 06:23 AM
This is what's know as the "selluf doen"-phase, which translates basically as "do it myself", a period many children have for a while. (And which I obviously never got out.)

Lets see if people still dare to come here with their ponderings.

Mr. Friendly
2007-12-18, 07:17 AM
A 57 Dispute:

The Conterspelling rules do not address casting times, per se, what they do say though is that you take a ready action to Counterspell. You do not have to declare beforehand what you are Counterspelling, only name the target. Then you....

If the target of your counterspell tries to cast a spell, make a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + the spell’s level). This check is a free action. If the check succeeds, you correctly identify the opponent’s spell and can attempt to counter it. If the check fails, you can’t do either of these things.

To complete the action, you must then cast the correct spell. As a general rule, a spell can only counter itself. If you are able to cast the same spell and you have it prepared (if you prepare spells), you cast it, altering it slightly to create a counterspell effect. If the target is within range, both spells automatically negate each other with no other results.

Emphasis mine. It would indicate to me then that you could cast any spell as a Counterspell and part of "altering it slightly" can be reducing the casting time.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-18, 07:31 AM
A 57 Dispute:

The Conterspelling rules do not address casting times, per se, what they do say though is that you take a ready action to Counterspell. You do not have to declare beforehand what you are Counterspelling, only name the target. Then you....

Emphasis mine. It would indicate to me then that you could cast any spell as a Counterspell and part of "altering it slightly" can be reducing the casting time.

If you follow the link I provided and scroll down you will see that this is also mentioned in the discussion that follows.

It is not clear what altering a spell "slightly" means, but interpreting this to mean that it would reduce casting time from say an hour to a standard action seems to be a very liberal interpretation.

Reduction in casting time is IMHO not a "slight" change.

But in any case, the sage addressed it, albeit indirectly, in the FAQ and the official position is that you cannot counterspell with a spell that has a casting time longer than a standard action if you are using a readied action.

Although in the link I provided, I make a suggestion for how it can be done with spell that have a full-round casting time.

Rad
2007-12-18, 07:31 AM
A 57 Dispute

If the target of your counterspell tries to cast a spell, make a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + the spell’s level). This check is a free action. If the check succeeds, you correctly identify the opponent’s spell and can attempt to counter it. If the check fails, you can’t do either of these things.

To complete the action, you must then cast the correct spell. As a general rule, a spell can only counter itself. If you are able to cast the same spell and you have it prepared (if you prepare spells), you cast it, altering it slightly to create a counterspell effect. If the target is within range, both spells automatically negate each other with no other results.
(emphasis mine)

It is perfectly known and well defined what kind of action is needed to cast the spell, so I do not think you can change that. The "variations" mentioned are fluff IMO.

EphU437
2007-12-18, 09:09 AM
Q. 58

Can a caster with a crafting feat cooperate with another caster, using the latter's spell access to craft an item?

Joe wizard and Bob cleric want to make a wand of CLW. Joe has craft wand. Can they do so?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-18, 09:52 AM
A. 058

Yes, spell access can be obtained from external sources like magic items or other casters.

cupkeyk
2007-12-18, 09:59 AM
Q. 59

Can you use a Flyig Broom as a mount? What are the stats of a flying broom mount?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-18, 10:09 AM
A. 059

The rules don't treat it as a mount despite the similarities.

You have to observe the rules for overland flight and the weight limitations given in the description.

I suggest you simply apply common sense if you want to do mount related things with the broom.

Broom of Flying: This broom is able to fly through the air as if affected by an overland flight spell (average maneuverability) for up to 9 hours per day (split up as its owner desires). The broom can carry 200 pounds and fly at a speed of 40 feet, or up to 400 pounds at a speed at 30 feet. In addition, the broom can travel alone to any destination named by the owner as long as she has a good idea of the location and layout of that destination. It comes to its owner from as far away as 300 yards when she speaks the command word. The broom of flying has a speed of 40 feet when it has no rider.

Moderate transmutation; CL 9th; Craft Wondrous Item, overland flight, permanency; Price 17,000 gp;Weight 3 lb.

Magnor Criol
2007-12-18, 11:20 AM
Q. 60
If you apply a template to a creature, and then that creature gains class levels, it gains HD. Do template abilities dependent on HD (such as in the Half-Celestial template, wherein the creature's HD determine what spell-like abilities it gets) alter as the templated creature's HD go up, or are templates determined when the creature gets that template and that's the end of it?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-18, 11:39 AM
A. 060

It depends on the ability, but in case of templates it will often be specified whether racial or just any HD will do.

In your example, the Half-Celestial, there is no mentioning of racial HD, so the creature will continue to gain abilities as it gains class levels.

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-18, 11:39 AM
Q61
Do I use craft for needlework.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-18, 11:45 AM
A. 061

If you are sewing/knitting a beanie for X-mas you would use craft, but if you just want to work as a seamstress during the holidays you would use profession.

In other words, if you are making something specific it generally falls under the craft skill.

Amiria
2007-12-18, 11:52 AM
Q 62

I kinda had this question before in the last threat I believe, but ...

... ToB - Death From Above (Tiger Claw 4) maneuver. It says that you have to be adjacent to your opponent so it was concluded that you can't use a reach weapon or even simply reach (i.e. because Enlarge Person) to do it. But now look at the third sentence of the third paragraph:

"If this check succeeds, you can make a single melee attack against an opponent that you were adjactent to when you began this maneuver."

Emphasize mine. No does this mean that sometime during the leap you aren't adjacent to him anymore and hence can use a reach weapon ?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-18, 12:15 PM
A. 062

It does not change anything in my opinion. If the DC had been higher than 20 you could have argued that you could reach a height far above your enemy, allowing the use of a reach weapon.

But it is easy enough to house rule that an increase of the jump DC would allow the use of a reach weapon for this maneuver.

Fax Celestis
2007-12-18, 12:27 PM
A57 Confirmation In order to counter a spell, you have to ready an action. You cannot ready actions that take more time than a standard action.

Readying an Action
You can ready a standard action, a move action, or a free action. To do so, specify the action you will take and the conditions under which you will take it. Then, any time before your next action, you may take the readied action in response to that condition. The action occurs just before the action that triggers it. If the triggered action is part of another character’s activities, you interrupt the other character. Assuming he is still capable of doing so, he continues his actions once you complete your readied action. Your initiative result changes. For the rest of the encounter, your initiative result is the count on which you took the readied action, and you act immediately ahead of the character whose action triggered your readied action.

You can take a 5-foot step as part of your readied action, but only if you don’t otherwise move any distance during the round.Emphasis mine.

Fax Celestis
2007-12-18, 12:29 PM
Q62 How can I acquire rebuke/command undead?

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-18, 12:33 PM
Q63 Can I have a masterwork healing tool that doesn't run out or do I need to use the kit.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-18, 12:44 PM
A. 063

I don't think so, but a magical item that provided a +2 (competence) bonus would only cost about 400 gp.

Asmodeus
2007-12-18, 01:43 PM
Q62 How can I acquire rebuke/command undead?

A 62 (Partial)

The primary method is to take a level of Cleric with a neutral or evil alignment.

A paladin can also gain this ability at level 4, if you use variant rules that allow a paladin to have different alignments than lawful good.

EphU437
2007-12-18, 02:09 PM
Q. 064

Does material component cost increase the crafting time of a scroll?

How many days does it take to make a scroll with 10 identify's on it?

While I'm at it, what would it cost to craft such a scroll?

Asmodeus
2007-12-18, 02:16 PM
Q. 064

Does material component cost increase the crafting time of a scroll?

How many days does it take to make a scroll with 10 identify's on it?

While I'm at it, what would it cost to craft such a scroll?

A. 64

No, only the Base Cost comes into play when determining the time it takes to craft a scroll.

You can create a scroll of any spell that you know. Scribing a scroll takes one day for each 1,000 gp in its base price. The base price of a scroll is its spell level × its caster level × 25 gp. To scribe a scroll, you must spend 1/25 of this base price in XP and use up raw materials costing one-half of this base price.

Any scroll that stores a spell with a costly material component or an XP cost also carries a commensurate cost. In addition to the costs derived from the base price, you must expend the material component or pay the XP when scribing the scroll.

Emphasis is mine.

A single scroll with multiple spells has a base cost equal to the sum of all the spells' base cost.

A single scroll of identify has a base price of 25 GP. Multiply this by 10 to get the base cost for a single scroll with 10 identify spells on it.

Base Cost = 25 * 10 = 250 GP
Time in days = Base Cost / 1000 = 250 / 1000 = 1 day minimum
GP cost = (Base Cost / 2) + Material Component Cost = (250 / 2) + (100 * 10) = 1125 GP
XP cost = (Base Cost / 25) + XP Componet Cost = (250 / 25) + 0 = 10 XP

You might be able to get a DM to houserule that you can do it faster than 10 days, since each scroll is less than 1000 GP, but this is how the RAW says to do it.

Edit: Corrected my math. Thank you, LS.

Bayar
2007-12-18, 04:05 PM
Q65
If a fighter multiclasses into a cleric, will the cleric class skills be added next to the fighter's class skills?

Asmodeus
2007-12-18, 04:17 PM
Q65
If a fighter multiclasses into a cleric, will the cleric class skills be added next to the fighter's class skills?

A 65

I'm not 100% sure about what you mean by 'added next to', but any skill that is a class skill for at least one of your character classes is a class skill. However, any skill points you have already spent on ranks in a crossclass skills which later become class skills do not get converted to full ranks instead of half ranks.

For example, at level 1, my fighter puts max ranks in intimidate and knowledge religion. He has 4 ranks in intimidate and 2 in knowledge religion. Intimidate is a class skill, and knowledge religion is a cross class skill.

at level 2, I take a level of cleric, and put 1 skill point into each of those skills. I now have 5 ranks in intimidate, and 3 ranks in knowledge religion. If I have more skill points to spare, I can add more to knowledge religion, because it can now have up to 5 ranks before it is maxed out. Both intimidate and knowledge religion are considered class skills for my character.

Does that answer your question?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-18, 04:50 PM
A. 064 Clarification

A. 64

GP: (12.5GP + 100GP) * 10 = 12,500 GP

:smalltongue:

(12.5GP + 100GP) * 10 = 1250 GP

:smalltongue:

Time: 1 day * 10 = 10 days

You might be able to get a DM to houserule that you can do it faster than 10 days, since each scroll is less than 1000 GP, but this is how the RAW says to do it.

House ruling should not be necessary.

You do not need to use 10 days. Major scrolls can hold six spells and is arguably only one item, so you only need 2 days if you split it into two scrolls.

Major scroll 1d6 spells

And there is no prohibition against making even longer scrolls holding more than 6 spells.

A scroll holding more than one spell has the same width (about 8 1/2 inches) but is an extra foot or so long for each extra spell.

Asmodeus
2007-12-18, 05:16 PM
I corrected my math typo. Thanks.

As far as 10 days vs 1 day (because the 100 GP pearl wouldn't factor in, making it 125 GP for 1 day of work) , i guess it depends on whether you think of this multi-spell scroll as a single item with multiple charges, or seperate items, which just happen to be attached. I follow the school of thought that they are separate scrolls, which just happen to be on the same piece of paper. Since you can only work on 1 item per day, you would be forced to take 10 days to create this multi-spell scroll.

The RAW doesn't specify which form is correct for multi-spell scrolls, so I'm looking for more details now.

Also, all the scrolls shown in the Dungeon Master's Guide contain a single spell. There's not actually any rule that limits scrolls to a single spell (see page 237 in the Dungeon Master's Guide). To create a scroll of multiple spells, combine the spells' base costs to determine the scroll's creation time and XP costs. If the multiple spell scroll is abandoned, the whole expenditure is wasted.

One advantage to creating a scroll with multiple spells is that you have to use only one action to get out the scroll during an encounter. Once you have the scroll in hand, you can read any spell it contains. DMs should feel free to set a reasonable limit to the number of spells you can search through on a multispell scroll before you have to use an action to find the one you want. I recommend a maximum of seven spells. If a scroll contains more spells than that, it takes a move action to find the correct one. As spells are used from a scroll, the writing that stores them vanishes from the scroll, which can make the remaining spells easier to search.

According to this, you are correct. The base price for a multi-spell scroll is equal to the cumulative base price of each individual scroll. Thus, a scroll with 10 identify spells would only take a single day.

I would ask though if you need to have identify prepared 10 times, or only once?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-18, 05:40 PM
I corrected my math typo. Thanks.

According to this, you are correct.

There is an even more RAW reference, the FAQ.

Can my wizard craft more than one item in a day if the total cost to create the items is no more than 1,000 gp?

No. All items take at least one day to craft, so you can’t
combine multiple cheap items into a single day’s work. A small loophole to this rule is the scroll with multiple spells, which counts as a single item.

(My emphasis)

As you can see, I am not completely useless. :smallwink:

The base price for a multi-spell scroll is equal to the cumulative base price of each individual scroll. Thus, a scroll with 10 identify spells would only take a single day.

I would ask though if you need to have identify prepared 10 times, or only once?

You would certainly need to have it prepared 10 times, since you need to cast it ten times.

Asmodeus
2007-12-18, 05:47 PM
As you can see, I am not completely useless. :smallwink:

Clearly not. You just gave me a new way to exploit scrolls.

My artificer is going to exploit the hell out of this rule. He doesn't even have to have it prepared 10 times. Just make UMD checks.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-18, 05:54 PM
My artificer is going to exploit the hell out of this rule. He doesn't even have to have it prepared 10 times. Just make UMD checks.

Well I think the multiverse is relieved that your artificer is going to spend his days making scrolls of Identify. :smalltongue:

Now if you had said Monk I would have been worried. :smallamused:

tyckspoon
2007-12-18, 06:30 PM
A 62 extension (Rebuke/Command Undead)

If you prefer arcane casters, the Dread Necromancer in Heroes of Horror has Rebuke Undead at first level.

Theli
2007-12-18, 08:07 PM
Q66

Does moving out of a square containing a Tiny, or smaller, creature with a reach of 0' provoke an attack of opportunity?

Theli
2007-12-18, 08:20 PM
A66

Ok, I think I was able to answer my own question. You threaten a square whenever you're considered "armed" and can make a melee attack into that square. Since any such tiny, or smaller, creatures with natural weapons are armed and can attack in their own square, they threaten that square.

ocato
2007-12-18, 11:52 PM
Q67

Alright, if a Monk 2/Paladin 8 with TWF, Snap Kick (ToB), Ascetic Knight (not that it matters, I don't think) full attacks:

His BaB is +9/+3. TWF gives him an 'off-hand' attack with his unarmed strike at his highest attack bonus. However, monk unarmed strikes never take penalties due to being off-hand, as I recall. Snap Kick grants an extra unarmed strike when you attack with a melee weapon with a -2 to all attacks that round. All attacks take a -2, the offhand unarmed strike takes no penalty due to being offhand, so just the -2, and the longsword takes -2 from TWF and -2 fron snap kick.

So the full attack would be Unarmed +7/ Unarmed +7/ Longsword +5/ Longsword -1.

Is this correct?

Tortoise262
2007-12-19, 12:11 AM
Q. 68

Is there a polearm that has reach, AND can be used to trip? If not, I guess I'll have to settle for a guisarme and not get the polearm feats.

tyckspoon
2007-12-19, 12:31 AM
A 67

No. It's been answered on the FAQ a couple of times- relevant quotes follow.

The rules don’t come right out and say that a monk can’t use an unarmed strike for an off-hand strike (although the exact wording of the unarmed strike ability suggests otherwise), and no compelling reason why a monk could not do so exists.
When using an unarmed strike as an off-hand attack, the monk suffers all the usual attack penalties from two-weapon fighting (see Table 8–10 in the Player’s Handbook) and the monk adds only half her Strength bonus (if any) to damage if the off-hand unarmed strike hits.

Can a monk fight with two weapons? Can she combine
a two-weapon attack with a flurry of blows? What are her
penalties on attack rolls?
A monk can fight with two weapons just like any other
character, but she must accept the normal penalties on her
attack rolls to do so. She can use an unarmed strike as an offhand
weapon. She can even combine two-weapon fighting with
a flurry of blows to gain an extra attack with her off hand (but
remember that she can use only unarmed strikes or special
monk weapons as part of the flurry). The penalties for twoweapon
fighting stack with the penalties for flurry of blows.

The FAQ answers make it clear that the 'no off-hand' clause for the monk is only meant to apply to the monk's primary attacks. Your example character's attacks would look like Longsword +5/Longsword -1/Unarmed +5/Snap Kick bonus (Unarmed +5*). It's customary to give the main-hand/primary attack first.

*I'm not entirely certain that the TWF penalties should apply to the Snap Kick bonus attack. Snap Kick says it applies to all other attacks quite clearly, but TWF only references the weapons used in the TWF attack, which Snap Kick is not involved in. It is most consistent with other attack options that cause penalties to apply the TWF penalty to the Snap Kick attack as well.

A 68
Pardon? When did a guisarme become not a polearm?

Theli
2007-12-19, 01:53 AM
Q69

If you move 5ft to get next to a door, then use a move action to open the door, can you then move past this door, without any additional actions, according to RAW?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-19, 04:29 AM
A. 069

You cannot take a move action in a round where you have already taken a 5 foot step.

You can move 5 feet in any round when you don’t perform any other kind of movement. Taking this 5-foot step never provokes an attack of opportunity. You can’t take more than one 5-foot step in a round, and you can’t take a 5-foot step in the same round when you move any distance.

Theli
2007-12-19, 05:45 AM
A069

The other side of the question is, can you take a move action in the middle of another move action? (A 5 foot step was not explicitly mentioned.)

Where are to rules printed for being able to, or unable to, take certain actions during others? (A "general" rule is mentioned in the rules compendium regarding the inability to take standard actions during move actions, but this is said very off-hand and I can't find it stated explicitely anywhere.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-19, 06:15 AM
A. 069 Continued

A069

The other side of the question is, can you take a move action in the middle of another move action? (A 5 foot step was not explicitly mentioned.)

Where are to rules printed for being able to, or unable to, take certain actions during others? (A "general" rule is mentioned in the rules compendium regarding the inability to take standard actions during move actions, but this is said very off-hand and I can't find it stated explicitely anywhere.

The 5 foot step is an exception to the general rule that you cannot take one action during another.

You can take a 5-foot step before, during, or after your other actions in the round.

No other actions have such a rule, except perhaps of speaking and similar.

I am not sure if it is explicitly mentioned, but it is clear from the examples in the PHB, the strict division of actions in the rules and the few feats that allow you to break this rule and take a standard action during a move for instance.

Theli
2007-12-19, 09:59 AM
A. 069

I just find it incredibly odd that if you start out exactly 5' away from a door, you can only move up to the door and open it, but can't move any further.

But if you start even a fraction of an inch closer to the door, you can open it, and then move through it your entire speed.

If anything is a candidate for houseruling, this is.

Curmudgeon
2007-12-19, 12:37 PM
Q 70

Regarding the Rogue's Vest (Magic Item Compendium, page 130):
... if you have the skirmish, sneak attack, or sudden strike ability, you deal an extra 1d6 points of damage when making such an attack Is this damage skirmish/sneak attack/sudden strike damage?

If so, it would qualify for feats like Deadly Precision (which lets you re-roll 1s on sneak attack dice).

The item description obviously doesn't say, so I'm looking for a precedent from some other source.

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-19, 01:17 PM
Q71 What is the listening dc for someone normally talking.

Theli
2007-12-19, 01:26 PM
A71

The d20 SRD puts it at 0 for people talking. This should be reasonably extended to people who are talking to themselves. Then you have additionaly several listed modifiers based on distance (+1 per 10 feet), through a door (+5), if you're distracted (+5), and through a stone wall. (+15)

Note that you have to beat the DC by 10 to be able to determine what they are saying.

Swooper
2007-12-19, 03:28 PM
Q72
At 4th level, and every even numbered level after that, each of the martial adept classes presented in the Tome of Battle can lose knowledge of a manoeuvre in place of a new one. Certain manoeuvres require the martial adept to know one or more manoeuvres from the same discipline as a prerequisite. Would it be possible to fulfil the prerequisite for, say, Iron Heart Surge when advancing to 6th level by knowing Steely Strike, but at the same time lose Steely Strike and therefore know only Iron Heart Surge from the Iron Heart discipline from then on?

Mr. Friendly
2007-12-19, 03:36 PM
Q. 73

Interactions between Bearded Devil's Infernal Wound ability, Arterial Strike (CW) and Vicious Wound (SS)

Supposing a Barbazu Devil wielding his Glaive were to have the Arterial Strike Feat (and enough sneak attack to use it) as well as the Vicious Wound Feat from Savage Species, were to then get a Sneak Attack on someone, what exactly would happen?

Would the Arterial Strike trigger seperately from the Infernal Wound? If so, would the Vicious Wound trigger twice? (Bleed 3 and Bleed 2, so a total of 5 bleed per round) Or would it all stack into a single wound? (Bleed 2 + Bleed 1 + 1 additional, Bleed 4 total)

Theli
2007-12-19, 03:58 PM
Q. 74

When striking a tiny sized creature that's both denied its dex and sharing a space with a medium size creature, would an ally's (of the medium size creature) melee attack face some kind of percentile accidental hit chance?

I think a 25% chance to hit the medium ally would apply, but I'm not 100% sure.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-19, 04:02 PM
A. 073

Arterial Strike does not trigger Vicious Wounds, since it is not a wounding special ability despite the similarities.

So the total would be 4.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-19, 04:07 PM
A. 074

No, but it would have soft cover from ranged attacks.

Grappling is one of the only situations were you face the risk of hitting your ally and even that only applies to ranged attacks.

Theli
2007-12-19, 04:13 PM
A. 074

Bullrush as well includes a 25% chance of an AoO striking the wrong person. I had assumed that this extended to other cases where two creatures were sharing space, but I guess I'm mistaken.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-19, 04:16 PM
A. 074

Bullrush as well includes a 25% chance of an AoO striking the wrong person. I had assumed that this extended to other cases where two creatures were sharing space, but I guess I'm mistaken.

Yes, there are other cases, but if it applied to creatures sharing space it would have been mentioned either under COMBAT MODIFIERS or BIG AND LITTLE CREATURES IN COMBAT.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-19, 04:26 PM
A. 072

Q72
At 4th level, and every even numbered level after that, each of the martial adept classes presented in the Tome of Battle can lose knowledge of a manoeuvre in place of a new one. Certain manoeuvres require the martial adept to know one or more manoeuvres from the same discipline as a prerequisite. Would it be possible to fulfil the prerequisite for, say, Iron Heart Surge when advancing to 6th level by knowing Steely Strike, but at the same time lose Steely Strike and therefore know only Iron Heart Surge from the Iron Heart discipline from then on?

The rules don't specify in what order things happen, just that you have to meet the prerequisites of the new maneuver.

However, I am fairly certain that the RAI and the Sage will require that you not choose the prerequisite maneuver for the swap at that point, but until an official ruling has been made I don't think you can get a RAW answer.

Mordokai
2007-12-19, 05:28 PM
Q 73

Is there a feat that would allow cleric to destroy undead he would otherwise turn, even if he doesn't have twice the HD of the undead? I believe I saw it somewhere, but I just can't remember the precise location at the moment. If it is out there, where can it be find? If it's not out there, what's the next best thing?

Theli
2007-12-19, 05:34 PM
A73

I think there's a feat called "Disciple of the Sun" from the Complete Divine book which lets you do the equivalent of a Greater Turning at the cost of two turn attempts.

A Greater Turning attempt destroys where a regular turn with just turn.

Greater Turning is also available 1/day from the Sun Domain and few PrCs from various splat books.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-19, 05:41 PM
The above question is 75.

Next one will be 76.

Pantler
2007-12-20, 05:31 AM
Q 76

If a character dies because of an energy drain caused by Enervation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/enervation.htm) spell, does he come back as a wight? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#energyDrainAndNegativeLevels)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-20, 05:45 AM
A. 076

No, the creature just dies.

theterran
2007-12-20, 07:34 AM
Q77

Does the bard's Inspire Courage work on summoned creatures as well?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-20, 07:37 AM
A. 077

Yes, they are also allies (for the time being at least).

cupkeyk
2007-12-20, 08:53 AM
Q78

If my monk kensai enhanced his fist with flaming burst, will he deal fire damage when he succeeds on a grapple check to deal unarmed strike damage?

Corollary
If a quarterstaff has a magical enhancement of flaming burst, will I deal fire damage when making a grapple check with entangling staff to deal constrict damage while maintaining the grapple?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-20, 09:00 AM
A. 078

No on both accounts.

If you use the attack in grapple option it will of course work and the initiating attack with the staff is also just a regular attack.

Adumbration
2007-12-20, 01:13 PM
Q 79

A question about Wildshape. How do the hit dice transfer when wildshaping? Is the druid's natural hitpoints used, or the creature's hit dice?

Asmodeus
2007-12-20, 01:15 PM
Q 79

A question about Wildshape. How do the hit dice transfer when wildshaping? Is the druid's natural hitpoints used, or the creature's hit dice?

A 79

Your Hit Dice and HP stay the same.

This ability functions like the alternate form special ability, except as noted here.

Except as described elsewhere, the creature retains all other game statistics of its original form, including (but not necessarily limited to) HD, hit points, skill ranks, feats, base attack bonus, and base save bonuses.

Adumbration
2007-12-20, 01:17 PM
A 79

Your Hit Dice and HP stay the same, except for the change in your CON modifier.

Q 79 Part B:

So if I wildshape into a plain owl, I still retain the (for an example) fair 100 HP?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-20, 01:20 PM
A. 079 B

Yes.

The creature retains its hit points...

And you do not get extra hp from an increased CON.

Asmodeus
2007-12-20, 01:23 PM
A. 079 B

Yes.

And you do not get extra hp from an increased CON.

Already Fixed that.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-20, 01:25 PM
Already Fixed that.

I did not know you needed to fix anything. :smalltongue:

I just thought it was an important point to stress, since it is a very strange and inconsistent mechanic. :smallwink:

Adumbration
2007-12-20, 01:28 PM
Thanks Asmodeus and Lord Silvanos. (Here I come, druid 5/ master of many forms 7 !) :smallwink:

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-20, 02:45 PM
Q80 Can I use an illusion spell to create light?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-20, 02:51 PM
A. 080

The Shadow Evocation spells can certainly do it, but unless something in the spell description could indicate an affect on visibility or light generation the answer is probably generally no.

cupkeyk
2007-12-20, 03:03 PM
Q81

Is the Diplomacy check to set the DC of Soothing Voice and the target/s will saves contested rolls? Can a half-elf bard use Sociable Personality and re-roll his Soothing Voice DCif his target succeeds?

Belkarseviltwin
2007-12-20, 03:17 PM
Q 82 (Q77 followup)
Does Inspire Courage work on Dominated or charmed enemies?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-20, 03:21 PM
A. 082

Yes, they are also allies for the time being.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-20, 04:19 PM
A. 081

You have to decide whether to re-roll before you know the result of the save.

theterran
2007-12-20, 04:56 PM
Q83

Inspire Courage lasts for 5 rounds after you stop. If you started it up again in the following round after you stop, but applied the Dragonfire Inspiration feat to it, would they stack? or would the second one override the first and you just get the d6 fire damage?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-20, 05:08 PM
A. 083

It is the same ability but it provides two different effects, so your allies would still benefit from the normal version for the remaining 5 rounds.

Ditto
2007-12-20, 09:02 PM
Q 84

The Scout's Skirmish feature does not work when mounted.

There is a Scout variant from Dragon347 called the Light Cavalry Scout, which basically grants a Scout the paladin's mount class feature. Wouldn't this mean that, while the Light Cav technically still has Skirmish, the class' intention is build against that. I'm working out of Crystal Keep's shorthand... is there some workaround provided with this variant, or is the message 'Ride like a paladin, or shoot like a scout.'?

BRC
2007-12-20, 10:38 PM
Q 85: Do followers just use the standard NPC WBL system or do they have a seperate system.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-21, 03:37 AM
A. 085

There is no separate system in place for followers.

theterran
2007-12-21, 12:56 PM
Q86

Inspire Courage does not mention anything about concentration, so can I keep it up for as long as I want to perform and still be able to attack?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-21, 01:20 PM
A. 086

Yes.

EphU437
2007-12-21, 03:25 PM
q. 087

What are the mechanics of holding a chill touch charge (or charges) when using that hand? Can you hold a charge for hours? Can a charge be used inadvertantly?

What about familiars? When using share spell to make a rat familiar the touchee, can it use its bite attack? If so, as long as it bites nothing does it hold the charge?

Thanks,
Eph

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-21, 03:37 PM
q. 087

What are the mechanics of holding a chill touch charge (or charges) when using that hand? Can you hold a charge for hours? Can a charge be used inadvertantly?

You can hold a charge as long as you want as long as you don't touch anything. If you touch anything, even by accident, the spell will discharge.

What about familiars? When using share spell to make a rat familiar the touchee, can it use its bite attack? If so, as long as it bites nothing does it hold the charge?

You don't use Share Spell for that. You use Deliver Touch Spells.
And yes you can use the natural weapon to deliver the spell, but in that case you have to make a regular attack roll and not a touch attack roll.

Belkarseviltwin
2007-12-21, 05:13 PM
Q 087 followup
Which part of the body is a touch spell charge held on? I assume it's the hand for humanoids but:
Can you choose to deliver a touch spell with a body part other than your hand? If so, can you do this only on casting or at other times?
If a charge is held on a non-humanoid creature- say a rat familiar- is it held on its front paw? Can it run without discharging the spell at the ground?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-21, 05:52 PM
A. 087 Follow up

The rules for holding the charge do not go into detail about this, but it is reasonable to assume that any body part that can be normally used for an attack can be used to hold the charge.
In case of the rat it makes sense to assume that the charge is held with the creatures sole natural weapon, the bite.

Neftren
2007-12-21, 07:10 PM
Q. 88

For the Bladesinger Prestige Class, does wearing a Buckler count as "Wielding Something in the Other Hand"? I'm interested in giving the Bladesinger a buckler, but I'm not sure if wearing a buckler would restrict any of the abilities.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-21, 07:25 PM
A. 088

Some of the Bladesinger class abilities require that your "other hand" is free and since a buckler is worn on the forearm and leaves your hand free to hold items using a buckler should not be a problem by a strict reading.

Bayar
2007-12-21, 07:30 PM
Q89
A vial of poison can be used on a single arrow? or on a couple? (since they are smaller...)

Neftren
2007-12-21, 07:30 PM
Q. 88 Follow Up

Okay, so I technically am not counted as "wielding" the shield, rather just "wearing" the shield. Reason I asked was because Bladesingers aren't proficient with shields, yet the text on the abilities doesn't state anything about shields...

Thank you.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-21, 07:38 PM
Q. 88 Follow Up

Okay, so I technically am not counted as "wielding" the shield, rather just "wearing" the shield. Reason I asked was because Bladesingers aren't proficient with shields, yet the text on the abilities doesn't state anything about shields...

Thank you.

No, you are wielding the shield and incur non-proficiency penalties, armor check penalties and arcane spell failure, you are just not wielding it in your hand.

However, the penalties are easily overcome by buying a mithral buckler.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-21, 07:41 PM
A. 089

It only affects a single arrow.

How many darts, arrows, and so on, does one dose of poison cover?

One dose of poison affects a single weapon—longsword, dagger, dart, arrow, whatever. The weapon’s size doesn’t matter (no, this isn’t entirely realistic, but it’s significantly easier for gameplay purposes).

Neftren
2007-12-21, 08:00 PM
No, you are wielding the shield and incur non-proficiency penalties, armor check penalties and arcane spell failure, you are just not wielding it in your hand.

However, the penalties are easily overcome by buying a mithral buckler.

According to the text:

"When wielding a longsword or rapier (and nothing in the other), ..."

I am in fact wielding a shield then?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-21, 08:04 PM
According to the text:

I am in fact wielding a shield then?

No, what I am saying is that you are wielding it, but you are not wielding it in your other hand, so you are in the clear. :smallsmile:

The text says:

When wielding a longsword or rapier in one hand (and nothing in the other), ...

Alleine
2007-12-21, 08:34 PM
Q 90

Is there a change in price for building a golem that is smaller than normal?

squishycube
2007-12-21, 10:58 PM
A90
This is not covered by RAW for as far as I know. Custom magic items (a category golems surely belong in) need DM fiat anyway, so this should not mean any extra work for the DM.

There is probably some golem book out which does list prices for many more golems than core does, but I wouldn't trust that book's judgement too much.

Curmudgeon
2007-12-22, 12:10 AM
According to the text:

I am in fact wielding a shield then? D&D has rather specific terminology for weapons and shields. You "draw" or "sheathe" a weapon, whereas the corresponding actions for shields are to "ready" or "loose" them. And whereas you "wield" a weapon, you "wear" a shield. I suppose you would both "wear" and "wield" a shield if you used it for bashing. But as a buckler is worn on the forearm, it still would never be wielded in your hand.
Ready or Loose a Shield

Strapping a shield to your arm to gain its shield bonus to your AC, or unstrapping and dropping a shield so you can use your shield hand for another purpose, requires a move action. If you have a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, you can ready or loose a shield as a free action combined with a regular move.

Dropping a carried (but not worn) shield is a free action.

Suzuro
2007-12-22, 01:26 AM
Q 91

For a spellthief, I don't have to be able to cast the level of the spell to use it after stealing it, correct. For instance, if I can steal 2nd level spells, but can only cast 1st, I can still cast the spell that I stole?

-Suzuro

Armads
2007-12-22, 06:16 AM
Q 92

Does massive damage apply to damage dealt by spells?

squishycube
2007-12-22, 07:36 AM
A91
You are correct

A92
Anything that qualifies as an attack can deal massive damage, thus everything requiring an attack roll.
Massive Damage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/injuryandDeath.htm#massiveDamage)

Fax Celestis
2007-12-22, 01:45 PM
Q 91

For a spellthief, I don't have to be able to cast the level of the spell to use it after stealing it, correct. For instance, if I can steal 2nd level spells, but can only cast 1st, I can still cast the spell that I stole?

-Suzuro

A91 Yes. Be warned, however, that your Armored Mage properties only apply to Spellthief spells, not to stolen spells...at least, not without the Master Spellthief feat in CScn. As an aside, you may be interested in this thread.

Ditto
2007-12-22, 06:54 PM
Q 93

The Reduce Person (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/reducePerson.htm) spell does not specify the effect on a target's speed. (It does mention space: Small->Tiny means 2.5' space/0' reach.) Is there a ruling on this elsewhere, or would the Tiny creature have a fantastically disproportionate speed?

I'm trying to figure the Reduced speed of a Halfling (20' base), Goblin (30' base) and Pixie (60' Fly base).

tyckspoon
2007-12-22, 06:59 PM
A 93

Read more carefully.

A Small humanoid creature whose size decreases to Tiny has a space of 2½ feet and a natural reach of 0 feet (meaning that it must enter an opponent’s square to attack). A Large humanoid creature whose size decreases to Medium has a space of 5 feet and a natural reach of 5 feet. This spell doesn’t change the target’s speed.

Ditto
2007-12-22, 07:06 PM
:smallredface:
Perm RP + Perm Longstrider + Goblin = 40' base Speedy Gonzalez of terror it is, then. Thanks!

Edit: On that note...
Q 94
Is the PHB/SRD list of spell candidates for Permanency exhaustive? If not, is there a specifically approved, further expanded list? With all the spells that have been added to the D&D universe, I figure there must be more approved somewhere...
(I'm wondering if that Perm. Longstrider I saw on a dwarf I played with is legit.)

Mr.Bookworm
2007-12-22, 08:56 PM
Q 95

When do Warlocks gain access to the different Invocation levels (Least, Lesser, Greater, and Dark)?

I don't see it in the Complete Arcane.

Ditto
2007-12-22, 10:26 PM
A 95

Here (p. 165) (http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf), it looks like Least- 1; Lesser- 6; Greater- 11; Dark- 16.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-23, 04:57 AM
A. 094

I think that there might be a few spells published later that mentions that they can be used with Permanency, but other than that I don't think the list has been expanded or altered anywhere.

SoD
2007-12-23, 08:05 AM
Q 96

Can a Master of Many Forms shape shift into Magical Beasts?

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-12-23, 09:54 AM
Q 97
Does a wildshaped druid retain their own BAB (+STR adjustment of new form), or do they gain the new form's BAB?

Adumbration
2007-12-23, 10:09 AM
Q 97
Does a wildshaped druid retain their own BAB (+STR adjustment of new form), or do they gain the new form's BAB?

A. 097

*The creature gains the physical ability scores (Str, Dex, Con) of its new form. It retains the mental ability scores (Int, Wis, Cha) of its original form. Apply any changed physical ability score modifiers in all appropriate areas with one exception: the creature retains the hit points of its original form despite any change to its Constitution.

* Except as described elsewhere, the creature retains all other game statistics of its original form, including (but not necessarily limited to) HD, hit points, skill ranks, feats, base attack bonus, and base save bonuses.

From Alternate Form (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#alternateForm), which is basically the same as Wild Shape, "except as noted here." See druid section for more.

So you retain your BAB, but to determine the total attack bonus, add to that your strength and size modifiers.

(Yay, my first answer! I hope it helps.)

Maxymiuk
2007-12-23, 01:58 PM
Q. 98

Do racial HD count towards determining a character's initiator level?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-23, 05:41 PM
A. 098

Yes, racial HD are part of character level.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-23, 05:43 PM
A. 096

No, Magical Beast is not part of the Improved Wild Shape class feature of the MoMF.

Asmodeus
2007-12-23, 06:02 PM
Q 99

When a cleric takes the Air domain, does his ability to turn earth creatures use the same supply of turn attempts as his ability to turn undead?

I.E. If he can turn undead 4 times per day, and he's already used up these attempts against undead, does he have any turning attempts left to use on an earth creature?

Curmudgeon
2007-12-23, 06:10 PM
A 99

This is a separate ability. It just uses the same mechanic as turning undead does.
Granted Power (Su): Turn or destroy earth creatures as a good cleric turns undead. Rebuke, command, or bolster air creatures as an evil cleric rebukes undead. Use these abilities a total number of times per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier. This granted power is a supernatural ability.

cupkeyk
2007-12-23, 06:15 PM
a99.

they are computed separately, you have 3+cha mod turn attempts for each creature type.

SexyOchreJelly
2007-12-23, 06:53 PM
Q100

Well... racial substitution levels. Do you have to take them at that exact overall level? Or could you say be, a level 2 dwarven rogue and multiclass with fighter and take the racial substitution level for the first level of fighter, even though you are actually third level overall, and become a dwarven rogue 2/dwarf racial substitution level fighter 1?

Gralamin
2007-12-23, 07:04 PM
A 100

Yes you can, as the substitution is based on Class levels for one class, not Character Level.

cupkeyk
2007-12-23, 07:24 PM
Q101

What is the FR equivalent of Greece?

graymachine
2007-12-24, 07:11 AM
Q102

Under the description of Skulks in RoD it states that there Level Adjustment is +1, but in the build it states that "Skulks begin with 2 levels in humanoid," stating that they get 2 HD, so many skill points, etc. Does this mean that the minimal starting level is 4th (2 levels of "humanoid" and +1 LA) as this seems to imply? Sorry for so simple a question; the wording on it is very confusing.

Soepvork
2007-12-24, 07:16 AM
A102

The effective character level of a character is (# racial hit die + # class hit die +LA). Therefore, under RAW, a skulk without class levels is equivalent to a 3rd level character without LA and racial hit die.
Basically,

For example: a skulk (with no class levels) has the same ECL as a 3rd level human fighter, a skulk with 1 class level has the same ECL as a 4th level dwarven rogue.

Level Adjustment and Effective Character Level

To determine the effective character level (ECL) of a monster character, add its level adjustment to its racial Hit Dice and character class levels.

Use ECL instead of character level to determine how many experience points a monster character needs to reach its next level. Also use ECL to determine starting wealth for a monster character.

Monster characters treat skills mentioned in their monster entry as class skills.

If a monster has 1 Hit Die or less, or if it is a template creature, it must start the game with one or more class levels, like a regular character. If a monster has 2 or more Hit Dice, it can start with no class levels (though it can gain them later).

bugsysservant
2007-12-24, 11:11 AM
Q 103. Can a wizard take Bind Vestige, Improved Bind Vestige and Martial Study (Devoted Spirit) in order to qualify for Anima Mage, than retrain those feats later once you meet the requirements for the class from Anima Mage's binding progression and class skills?

squishycube
2007-12-24, 11:37 AM
A103
There has been some discussion about feats/PrCs/etc, their requirements and not meeting the requirements any more after taking the feat/etc/etc. Conclusion (if I recall correctly):
The sage advises to prohibit use of the thing you do not qualify for anymore. (In the case of PrCs, you do not get to use any of its class features, but you do keep all the other things every class gives (HD, skill points, etc).
However, a good case can be made to rule the other way.

bugsysservant
2007-12-24, 11:56 AM
A103
There has been some discussion about feats/PrCs/etc, their requirements and not meeting the requirements any more after taking the feat/etc/etc. Conclusion (if I recall correctly):
The sage advises to prohibit use of the thing you do not qualify for anymore. (In the case of PrCs, you do not get to use any of its class features, but you do keep all the other things every class gives (HD, skill points, etc).
However, a good case can be made to rule the other way.

But you would still meet the prerequisites. If you held off the retraining till you could bind a vestige fo second level or higher from binder progression of the class itself, you could then qualify for Anima mage by virtue of its own class features. And you could immediately retrain the martial study, because you now have intimidate as a class skill from Anima Mage, so wouldn't be violating the cross class limit by taking ranks then dropping the feat. Or have I misunderstood you reply?

Mordokai
2007-12-24, 01:28 PM
Q104

Is there any race that gives bonus to charisma, without LA? I know of lesser aasimar, anything beside that? Preferably humanoid and “tall“, aka, human and elf like.

cupkeyk
2007-12-24, 01:30 PM
a104

star elf from the dalelands in Faerun. Buomman from the Planar handbook, i think.