PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Airbenders [A useless D&D 3.5 class] [Help appreciated]

ChudoJogurt
2023-12-25, 01:57 PM
I've been on a kick writing expansions for the Tome of Battle, which, for all is clunkiness is the only way to make martial characters interesting.
As part of that kick, and for some NPCs I needed for the current game, I have made a Prestige class for Airbenders.

Prestige Class: Airbender
In the secluded mountains the halfling monks of the Air Nomad Tribes meditated upon the nature of Elemental Air -- the ever free, ever capricious, empty of anything but it's own nature, and thus they were enlightened. And as part of their practice, a martial art that expressed their unique connection to the element was developed, emphasising quick movement, evasive dodges and manipulation of the air.

Prerequisites:
Base Attack Bonus: +2
Martial: Able to ready at least one maneuver.
AC bonus (as Monk/Swordsage class feat
Other: Able to cast Gust of Wind as a spell-like ability.

This last requirement is used to motivate the more supernatural aspects of the martial art.
Generally the main ways to enter this class is being a D'hin halfling (for whom this class is written), or being a Wizard/Sorcerer with Innate Spell (most likely the Faerun version).
This is a fairly early-entry class. D'hin can enter at ECL 3 (D'hin 1/Swordsage 2) or something like Sorc 1/Swordsage 3 (Via Precocious apprentice), but most would go Storm Cleric 3/Sworsage 2 or Shi'ar 4/Swordsage 2 with for Ascetic Mage and extra air theme.

Basic Stats
HD: d8
Skills: 4+Int. (Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex))
Initiator: It's an initiator class. it stacks with other initiator classes for determining initiator level

"Level""Base
Attack Bonus""Fort
Save""Ref
Save""Will
Save""Special""Manoeuvres known""Manoeuvres Readied""Stances Known""1st""0""0""2""0""Esoteric Feat (Light Breeze), Breathing""1""""""2nd""1""0""3""0""Freefall""2""""1""3rd""2""1""3""1""Mighty Gale""3""""""4th""3""1""4""1""Push-and-Pull""4""""""5th""3""1""4""1""""5""1""""6th""4""2""5""2""Light as a Feather""6""""""7th""5""2""5""2""Blast of WInd""7""""""8th""6""2""6""2""Cyclonic Blast""8""""""9th""6""3""6""3""""9""1""""10th""7""3""7""3""Let go your Earthly Tether""10""""1"""

Breathing: You get extra use of your Gust of Wind spell-like ability for each level in that class. While you have any uses of GoW left, and at least two maneuvers of Light Breeze style readied and expended, you refresh one at random at the beginning of your turn as long as you're breathing air
Esoteric Feat: You gain Wind Carries The Leaves [Esoteric] feat, even if you don't fulfill the prerequisites
Freefal You can expend a single use of GoW feat to have Feather Fall cast as a spell-like ability for 1 round.
Mighty Gale: Creatures are considered to be one size catergory smaller for the purpose of your Gust of Wind effects
Push-and-Pull You can use Gust of Wind to pull creatures instead of pushing them. The effects are the same, except the direction they move is towards you, not away
Light as a Feather: You become lighter, as elemental energies of air infuse your body. Gain +4 to Jump, Climb, Balance and Tumble checks, and -4 to checks to resist overrun and bull rush. You can't be tripped as you always land easily on your feet.
Blast of Wind: Gust of Wind can be used as 60ft cone instead of line
Cyclonic Blast:2 uses of gust of wind to create powerful blast of cutting wind, as per Cyclonic Blast spell
Let go your Earthly Tether Fly at will, perfect manoeuvrability, as long as unencumbered and wearing light or no armour. Your class level is added to your caster level for all [Air] spells. Using normal Gust of Wind spell-like ability, Push-and-Pull or Freefall do not consume uses of GoW.

Esoteric Feat:

So, to make more martial arts available to original initiator classes, I made up an idea of Esoteric Feats.
Esoteric Feat is a category of feat, that shows that this specific character has devoted extra time and effort and passed some initiation rites to learn an obscure and probably supernatural martial art.
The feats would be useful in themselves, and add one Martial Discipline to the list of learnable disciplines for adept.

Wind Carries The Leaves [Esoteric]
Prerequisites: Listen 5, Concentration 5, Able to cast Gust of Wind as a spell-like ability.
The understanding of the flow of air aorund him, allows adept to throw ranged weapons with increased distance. The adept can use their Wisdom score instead of Strengh for damage on thrown weapon ranged attacks with Light Breeze Style signature weapons
This is also the Esoteric feat for Light Breeze Style, You may take Light Breeze manoeuvres, whenever you get new Manoeuvres Known.

Light Breeze Style:
This light-footed style has been adopted by the D'hin nomadic monks, and can only be used by those with connection to Elemental Air.
It uses dagger, shuriken, chakram and bo staff as it's signature weapons.
The key skill for this Discipline is Tumble.

Light Breeze Style Manoeuvres are often (Su) abilities, much like Desert Wind. Light Breeze manoeuvres rely upon air and emphasise proper breathing techniques, and thus the maneuvers and stances of this Discipline can only be used or recovered when the adept is surrounded by air and can breathe normally.

Manoeuvres
LevelManoeuvre 1
Type: Boost
Casting Time: 1 swift action
Target:
Duration:
Comments:
Saving Throw:
Description: Attuned to the most minute movements of air, the adept of this martial art can sense things without relying on their sight
The character can use Listen check to pinpoint all invisible opponents within 30 feet, if he beets their Move Silenltly check. If he beats the Move Silently check by 20 or more, he also ignores the concealment from their Invisibility until the end of the roundLevelManoeuvre 1
Type: Strike
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Target:
Duration:
Comments: Su
Saving Throw:
Description: Concentrating the gust of wind into a single, short air blast, the adept pushes an opponent away
As bull rush, except at distance up to 30ftLevelManoeuvre 2
Target:
Duration:
Saving Throw:
Description: Wind can break the waves, and move the mighty stones. Adept surrounds himself with a vortex of air, which carries him forward, pushing everyone out of his way.
Overrun everyone in a straight line up to double speed. Gain +8 to Strength checks for overrunLevelManoeuvre 2
Target:
Duration:
Saving Throw:
Description: The adept uses the forces he controls to propel himself as well as push others
The adept shoots a Gust of Wind, as a swift action, whether to push or to pull. He may move 1d4x5 feet in the direction opposite to the cast -- if he's pushing the target, he moves away, if he's pulling, he moves towards. If he's flying, he may move 1d8x5 feet instead.
This maneuvers expends 1 use of Gust of Wind spell-like ability.LevelManoeuvre 2
Casting Time: 1 full round action
Target:
Duration:
Saving Throw:
Description: The wind carries objects -- it is just the matter of carrying them to the right place. As the adept executes this stance, the air grabs a bunch of projectiles, releasing them at the target.
This is performed as a full-round attack, with thrown weapons. The adept makes an extra thrown attack at his highest base attack bonus, but all the attacks in this full attack suffer a -2 penalty and all must be aimed at the same target. The damage is increased by +1d6 per each hit.
The addept need not draw his weapons before making the attack, and he can even use any unattended missiles lying around within 5 feet.
This attack can be executed with any thrown weapons, or even just separate arrows/bolts, which are considered 1d4 piercing x2/20, range 10ft weaponsLevelManoeuvre 3
Target:
Duration: 1 round
Comments:
Saving Throw:
Description: Swift as the wind, and just as elusive, the adept is capable of great bursts of speed. When using this boost the adept is hasted as per Swift Haste for the durationLevelManoeuvre 4
Type: Counter
Casting Time: 1 immediate action
Target:
Duration: 1 round
Comments:
Saving Throw:
Description: The adept has mastered the circle-walking pattern of the Light Breeze style. He can substitute his Tumble check for his AC for a duration until the beginning of his next round. If he defends successfully against a melee attack, he can move up to 5 fteet without getting further from the attacker.LevelManoeuvre 4
Target:
Duration:
Comments:
Saving Throw:
Description: Man and the element acting as one, a mighty throw is supplemented by a blast of air.
Thrown weapon attack enhanced by a gust of wind. It triples the range, and adds 4d6 to damageLevelManoeuvre 4
Type: Counter
Casting Time: 1 immediate action
Target:
Duration:
Saving Throw:
Description: A powerful blast of wind released from Adep'ts hands extinguishes fires, changes the course of hurricanes and deflects arrows and bullets alike.
Used against any [Fire] or [Air] spell that targets an area, a strong blast of wind extinguishes it. Make Initiator or Caster level check with a competency bonus +5 as if counterspelling a spell with a Dispell Spell spell, or use the same check against any ranged weapon attackLevelManoeuvre 5
Target: A creature that needs to breathe
Duration: (see text)
Comments:
Saving Throw: Fort DC 15+Wis
Description: The adept's strike expand and affix the air in the victim's lungs.
If the strike hits, the victim that fails it's saving throw is unable to breathe, as it's lung are seized by a tetanic spasm. The victim cannot speak, and is suffocating. They can repeat their saving throw every minute as a free action, and when they spend a standard action trying to forcefully push the air outLevelManoeuvre 5
Target: 30ft cone
Duration:
Comments:
Saving Throw: Fort DC 15+Wis
Description: Shout, stun those who fail the saving throw. Is [Su] [Sonic] effect

Stances
LevelStance 1
Type:
Casting Time:
Target:
Duration:
Comments:
Saving Throw:
Description: Get +10 enhancement to land speed (and if you have it - flight speed), as long as you're not encumbered and wear light or no armorLevelStance 3
Type:
Casting Time:
Target:
Duration:
Comments:
Saving Throw:
Description: Can jump really far and fast. When jumping vertically up, can move up to half his speed up and up to quarter his speed horizontally. When jumping forward, can move up to his speed, jumping over (or on) obstacles up to quarter his speed. Can use Jump checks to jump further/longer if he can, and needs to use Jump checks for specific precise jumps (e.g. for Tiger Claw manoeuvres, or to land on a very small specific patch of land).
While in this stance can stand on any surface wide enough to put the ball of his foot on, and strong enough to support an ant.LevelStance 5
Type:
Casting Time:
Target:
Duration:
Comments:
Saving Throw:
Description: This stance emphasises the defensive nature of the style. The adept's movement become circular, unpredictable and the haze of speed and air around him prevents others from attacking him effectively.
Adept gains 20% miss chance against any ranged attacks, gets +2 dodge bonus to AC, and does not get attacks of opportunity for leaving the squares threatened by opponent, as long as he does not end up closer to any opponent than he was where he started from.LevelStance 8
Type:
Casting Time:
Target:
Duration:
Comments:
Saving Throw:
Description: All the might of the hurricane and all the intangibility of air are incarnated in this stance. The characters' movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity for leaving threatened squares. He may move both before and after performing a standard action (up to his speed, or double that if he also expends the move action), or, if making a full attack, he may move before, after and in between each individual attack, as long as his total movement per round does not exceed his base land speed.
As a free action he may expend GoW use to add 3d6 sonic to damage of his melee and thrown attacks

Comments:
It's a bit of a silly class, tbh. It's clearly sub-optimal -- it requires a useless +1 LA race or spending three feats and few sorcerer/cleric levels that provide almost no synergy.
It can be a single-attribute class via Zen Archery, adding Wis to attack, AC and damage, but D'hin have -2 to Wisdom as their racial bonus.
It's also not terribly powerful, probably dealing less damage than Ranger or Rogue or even Ninja that concentrates on throwing same shuriken/daggers.
It's kinda intended as an NPC class, that can present decent opponents at level 7-10 in a favorable terrain, running around, pushing opponents off the cliffs and pulling each other away from harm as needed, generally being annoying and trying to inflict a death of thousand cuts.

rel
2024-01-18, 12:39 AM
One issue with the ToB is there was never much additional content for initiators.
While classes like the wizard got dozens of new spells with each new book, the initiators were stuck with the original maneuver list that was never expanded upon.

A possible way to simultaneously address that shortcoming and make this airbending concept more effective and accessible, is to do away with the prestige class and simply add the new maneuvers you've created directly to the desert wind maneuvers list.
Scrap the gust of wind spell like interactions, and just make each maneuver a simple stand alone power that any initiator can take.

ChudoJogurt
2024-01-19, 08:30 PM
I could, but I feel that doesn't fit the philosophy of D&D -- it's just too magical.
Sure with Esoteric feat any Swordsage can pick up most of the maneuvers, but I feel that throwing around blasts of air would not work as initiator magic.

Morphic tide
2024-01-19, 08:48 PM
I could, but I feel that doesn't fit the philosophy of D&D -- it's just too magical.
Sure with Esoteric feat any Swordsage can pick up most of the maneuvers, but I feel that throwing around blasts of air would not work as initiator magic.
Death Mark, Dragon's Flame, Fan the Flames, Firesnake, Inferno Blast, Ring of Fire, Salamander Charge, and Wyrm's Flame from Desert Wind would disagree with you. If they're fine for chucking fire, why not blasts of air?

Tzardok
2024-01-20, 02:54 PM
Death Mark, Dragon's Flame, Fan the Flames, Firesnake, Inferno Blast, Ring of Fire, Salamander Charge, and Wyrm's Flame from Desert Wind would disagree with you. If they're fine for chucking fire, why not blasts of air?

I agree with that. Heck, I once made a Stone Dragon maneuver (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?651594-Tzardok-s-Miscellaneous-Homebrew-Repository&p=25811193#post25811193) that had formed a stone javelin from the ground.

Metastachydium
2024-01-21, 12:33 PM

I agree with that. Heck, I once made a Stone Dragon maneuver (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?651594-Tzardok-s-Miscellaneous-Homebrew-Repository&p=25811193#post25811193) that had formed a stone javelin from the ground.

Why, why, the "initiators in general (and Crusader/Swordsage in particular) are totally not gish classes" notion once more! I'll readily third Morphic tide and Tzardok here. Devoted Spirit, Desert Wind and Shadow Hand are all quite heavy on manipulating energy in occasionally flashy ways. The same for air sounds nothing wild to me.

ChudoJogurt
2024-01-22, 09:03 PM
For sure RPG police won't break down my doors if I make a magic Injtiator style.
And it won't even look that far out of line with Desert wind, etc.
But I kinda feel that there is a philosophical difference between a martial art that produces supernatural effect, and a martial art that is about martial use of a supernatural ability.

It also works quite nicely with almost-but-not-quite locking it as a d'hini special martial art.