PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Ghostfoot's Variant Rule Playtests [PF1] levels 1-15

Ghostfoot
2023-12-25, 03:28 PM
I would like to playtest a grab-bag of house- and variant-rules for PF1 over the next ~6 weeks.

4 games. 4 players each.

For each game, I will take the first 4 players to express interest.
Post interest in the OOC threads linked below.

Playtest level 1 (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?663239-Ghostfoot-s-Variant-Rule-Playtest-PF1) (3 seats left)
Playtest level 5 (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?663244-Ghostfoot-s-Variant-Rule-Playtest-PF1-level-5) (0 seats left)
Playtest level 10 (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?663245-Ghostfoot-s-Variant-Rule-Playtest-PF1-level-10) (0 seats left) - Vaults of Madness from Serpent's Skull 4
Playtest level 15 (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?663247-Ghostfoot-s-Variant-Rule-Playtest-PF1-level-15) (0 seat left) - Hunter's Maze from Serpent's Skull 6

The big variances are primarily around a) dice-rolling method, b) leadership/ cohorts, c) damage/ armour/ healing.

The rules of each game are the same, it is only the character-level (& thus the dungeon) that is different.

Here's a sample Big 16 from the level 1 playtest:

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

Pathfinder 1E

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

To be agreed by the players, most likely a single dungeon from a Paizo AP.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

Here - GitP forums.

Ideally at least 1 brief post each day to keep things moving. Mechanics only, no fluff needed.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

Level 1 (0 xp).

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

150gp.
No alchemy items to be purchased (except holy water)
No magic items to be purchased.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

Only official Paizo classes are allowed.
Must use Unchained variant where available.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

PC must be Human only.
Cohort (see below) may be any official Paizo race.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

PF 15 point buy, with a range of 3-18 (That's right you can go below 7).
Humans have a maximum starting score of 18 after racial adjustments.

Max hp for 1st level. Half max + 0.5 (rounded up) thereafter.
You can buy extra maximum hp using retraining rules here (https://www.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?Name=Hit%20Points&Category=Retraining) (not that it matters for your level 1 PC).

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Yes and it is mechanically significant (see below).

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

Standard rules. You may use variant multi-classing (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/character-advancement/#Variant_Multiclassing) for your character (VMC) if you wish.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

All die rolls on the GitPs forums - either in the OOC forum or in spoilers in the IC forum please. I will roll initiative, saves and certain skill checks for you. Basically anything reactive I will roll in order to speed play up. You can do all of the proactive rolls for your character.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

2 traits allowed
1 drawback (+ 3rd trait) allowed

Major gameplay changes:

Bell-Curve Rolls (based on Alignment)

If you are Lawful you roll 3d6 in place of 1d20
If you are Neutral you roll 2d10 in place of 1d20
If you are Chaotic you continue to roll 1d20 as normal
New Critical Threat ranges will be provided for Lawful & Neutral characters.

Damage Conversion (3.5 UA)

When damaged with an attack vs AC, an amount of hp damage = Armour bonus is converted to nonlethal damage
This damage (less hardness) is also incurred by the armour

Slower Magical Healing (3.5 UA)

Magical healing converts lethal damage to nonlethal damage.
Magical healing only heals nonlethal damage once lethal damage is completely healed (ie sequentially not concurrently).

Major character generation changes:

Cantrips are nerfed (details tbc). They can be cast as nerfed 0-level spells or as 1st level spells with normal effect.
Everyone gets Combat Stamina as a bonus feat
Every PC gets a variant Leadership as a bonus feat

PC Leadership score is (level + Cha bonus). -1 penalty if party is 4+ PCs. -1 penalty for each X/Y alignment step difference of PC vs Cohort.
If Leadership is 0+ then PC receives a Cohort
Cohort minimum level is ½ (ie level 1 NPC Class). Subject to the minimum, the maximum Cohort level is PC level -2.
Cohort has a 3 point buy (15 point buy once heroic classed)
Cohort can be any playable race
Cohort begins with 0gp wealth, clothing only. You must pay to equip them.
Half max + 0.5 (rounded up) hp (again, you may purchase hp for them)
Warrior class Cohort can swap Medium and/ or Heavy AP for Combat Feats
Aristocrat class Cohort can swap Medium and/ or Heavy AP for non-Combat Feats
Cohort is generally player-controlled - but in combat must roll Int or lower each round or GM determines action for that round
GM will determine Cohort Morale periodically as needed

Minor character generation changes:

Background skills (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/background-skills/) are in effect.
Illiterate

Bonus literacy in (Half Int bonus rounded up) languages, or spend a Linguistics skill point

Knowledge skills don’t identify monsters

You can take untrained ranks in new skill Monster Lore (separate skill per creature type)

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

None.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

Hack & slash, no RP. This is an experiment.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

1pp Paizo

Ghostfoot
2024-01-24, 05:14 AM
Any further interest in the level 10 game?

Auranghzeb
2024-01-24, 05:32 AM
Any further interest in the level 10 game?

I'm interested, but I won't have time until Friday to develop a character.

Ghostfoot
2024-01-24, 05:41 AM
I'm interested, but I won't have time until Friday to develop a character.

Done. You're in :smallsmile:

Talivan
2024-01-24, 02:18 PM
Posting Interest for lv 15 game

Ghostfoot
2024-01-24, 02:47 PM

Okay cool. You're welcome to jump into the OOC for that game...We've already started with 2 players.

Yas392
2024-01-25, 12:46 PM

Looking forward to what you bring to our table.

Gyrfalcon
2024-01-25, 04:27 PM
It looks like both the 10- and 15- games are full up now?

I have a character concept of an aldori defender/swordlord with a bard cohort.

Ghostfoot
2024-01-25, 04:29 PM
It looks like both the 10- and 15- games are full up now?

I have a character concept of an aldori defender/swordlord with a bard cohort.

There is space in both still (we've had interest from folk who subsequently haven't progressed)

Gyrfalcon
2024-01-25, 05:21 PM
I’ll sign up for the lv. 10 game as there’s more space for the character concept there.

Qazgir
2024-01-25, 05:28 PM
I'm interested in the level 15 game if that slot is still available. I can likely have a character cooked up by Saturday morning central time.

Talivan
2024-01-25, 05:51 PM
Okay cool. You're welcome to jump into the OOC for that game...We've already started with 2 players.

Thanks, I will work on the sheet in the next couple of days.

Ghostfoot
2024-01-25, 11:46 PM
I'm interested in the level 15 game if that slot is still available. I can likely have a character cooked up by Saturday morning central time.

Sure thing - done

Ghostfoot
2024-01-25, 11:54 PM
That's level 10 & 15 games now full.

Levels 1 & 5 still open with plenty seats.

Zhentarim
2024-01-27, 05:52 PM
level 5 is just high enough to make a cleric of erastil with a longbow and animal companion-- less BAB than a ranger, but better healing ability

Palanan
2024-01-28, 10:33 PM
I could be interested in both the first- and fifth-level playtests, if the DM is willing to bear with me as I get up to speed on the variant rules.

For instance, do those rules mean that even at first level, we gain a cohort? That's how I read it, but wanted to ask to be sure.

Ghostfoot
2024-01-29, 04:11 AM
level 5 is just high enough to make a cleric of erastil with a longbow and animal companion-- less BAB than a ranger, but better healing ability
cool, sounds good

I could be interested in both the first- and fifth-level playtests, if the DM is willing to bear with me as I get up to speed on the variant rules.

For instance, do those rules mean that even at first level, we gain a cohort? That's how I read it, but wanted to ask to be sure.
Of course, very happy to be patient as there is a fair bit of weirdness to incorporate/ test

Yes, level 1 PC's gain a cohort (unless Leadership score is negative). The cohort will be a level 1 NPC class (eg warrior/ expert/ etc).

BelGareth
2024-01-29, 01:19 PM
interested in the 5th level game

Ghostfoot
2024-01-30, 01:08 PM
Great. That's the Level 5 game full too.

My kids are starting new schools this week so the next couple days will be slow for me.

Palanan
2024-02-02, 09:15 AM
Still interested in the 1st- and 5th-level games, but the forum situation compounded with RL issues has made this week a nightmare.

I have a concept lined up for the 1st-level game, will try to flesh that out and come up with something for 5th level over the weekend.