PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder kineticist; dimensional rip question

Railak
2023-12-25, 05:09 PM
So a thing came up in the last game we had about the kineticist utility talent, dimensional rip, which creates these portals that block line of sight. The best description I've though of is The Spot from Across the Spiderverse. The kineticist can direct his blasts through the portals and have them come out of whatever one he wants. I am not the player that was using this, I am the DM.

The thing that came up, does the kineticist suffer miss chance if he can't see the target?

The utility has nothing about it, and both of us searching Google could not find an answer. We rolled with it, cause we couldn't find anything that said against it, but that was also just to get the game moving again. The closest thing the talent has is its a new origin point of the blast, subtracting the amount of range needed to reach the first portal.

KillianHawkeye
2023-12-26, 02:25 AM
I don't normally use 3rd party material, but I googled it. The ability is a bit complex, but what it boils down to is if a character fires blind through an opaque portal in the hopes of hitting something they can't even see, I'd say they have a 50% miss chance to contend with in the best case. As a DM, I'd also probably ask how they know which square they're even firing at.

I'm going to make a comparison to the Snake infusion, which allows a Kineticist to twist and turn their kinetic blast around obstacles like Goku turning his Kamehameha mid-blast. It also allows you to "choose a path that leads into squares you cannot see" without explaining exactly what to do in that situation. Or like any other time a wizard/sorcerer fires a ray spell into a darkness or fog cloud spell. And in those cases, my answer is the same. The DM has to determine what, if anything, is in the attack's path, and the character has to roll a 50% miss chance since they can't see what they're attacking.

Understandably, there's a slight gap in the rules of D&D 3.5 and Pathfinder where they don't really specify what happens to a ray or projectile when they miss a target or are shot into an incorrect space, but firing blind seems like a situation where it probably should come up. When something is in the way, there's a chance that you hit the cover, but when you miss an attack, they don't really say to worry about what's behind the target, and they REALLY should. But when you're firing blind, you don't actually have a target at all, you're just shooting and hoping for the best, and it's up to the DM to determine the outcome.

That's my 2cp as someone who's both a DM and has played a Kineticist, at least.