PDA

View Full Version : min-maxing a cleric

EphU437
2007-12-12, 04:09 PM
A friend asked my advice about building a cleric. His stats are 11/10/12/10/18/15. He is evil and interested in undeath. He can use ANY published material.

Though rusty, I know the game and am not looking for a complete build, just some of the elements that work well (Really well) for clerics, i.e. DMM(Quicken).

thanks,
Eph

Amiria
2007-12-12, 04:22 PM
Evil and interested in undeath ? Great !

Undeath domain for Extra Turing feat.
Planning domain for Extend Spell feat.

Then take Persistent Spell and DMM for it later. Enough feat slots to also take DMM Quicken.

18 Wisdom and 15 Charisma. Persistent divine buffs will cover his physical 'deficiencies.'

NotCC
2007-12-12, 04:26 PM
DMM Persistent Spell cheese
Zen Archery - use Wis modifier for ranged
Extra domains - gotten through various PRC's
You are a Cleric (Read: You are cheesy without trying)
Power attack
Yadda, Yadda, Yadda

AmberVael
2007-12-12, 04:27 PM
...yeah, this thread is pretty much done.
*takes it out of the oven*

There are a few minor tips I'd add though.

Get the Lesser Planetouched Aasimar as his race. +2 to charisma and wisdom and no LA? Yes please. It's a variant in the Player's Guide to Faerun.
Alternately, if you're needing more feats, just go plain ol' human. Extra turning, you know.

In case it wasn't obvious, he should be shooting for Persisted Divine Power. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/divinePower.htm)

EphU437
2007-12-12, 04:38 PM
Race is human, that's already set. (he's level 2 with permission ofr a limited rebuild.).

He isn't strongly committed to the undeath stuff - he's an evil cleric.

which are the better caster PrCs?

Zen archery - what ranged spells are we talking about?

AmberVael
2007-12-12, 04:45 PM
Oh right, retraining. Silly me. >.<

As for cleric PrCs... hm hm hm. I like Divine Oracle for the extra domain- that could just be a level dip for that though.

RandomFellow
2007-12-12, 04:49 PM
A friend asked my advice about building a cleric. His stats are 11/10/12/10/18/15. He is evil and interested in undeath. He can use ANY published material.

Though rusty, I know the game and am not looking for a complete build, just some of the elements that work well (Really well) for clerics, i.e. DMM(Quicken).

thanks,
Eph
Fell Animate+DMM (Fell Animate) = Fun Times

The only cleric that can animate dead at level 1. =)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-12, 05:04 PM
Evil and interested in undeath ? Great !

You keep surprising me my dear Countess. :smallamused:

Amiria
2007-12-12, 05:19 PM
You keep surprising me my dear Countess. :smallamused:

Hey, although I am in character (Amiria = neutral good Transmutress) most of the time, I aspire to give unbiased, objective advice in this section of the boards. :smallwink:

Of course, Amiria would oppose and probably kill the here advised character build if they meet in an IC environment. :smallsmile:

greenknight
2007-12-12, 06:24 PM
Of course, Amiria would oppose and probably kill the here advised character build if they meet in an IC environment. :smallsmile:

Probably not if the character were of equal level. Remember, Clerics are full spellcasters too, and they do get some good spells - especially if you're willing to resort to cheese.

To the OP: Since I think cheese like that just wrecks a game, I'd advise not using it. It's JUST NOT WORTH IT!

Swordguy
2007-12-12, 06:37 PM
You could eventually go for Bassetking's infinite damage exploit...

DruchiiConversion
2007-12-12, 08:19 PM
You could eventually go for Bassetking's infinite damage exploit...

You know when we're deciding what is and isn't too powerful to use as anything more than a theoretical exercise? The phrase 'infinite damage' is a pretty good indicator that it IS too powerful for a real game. :smallwink:

NotCC
2007-12-12, 09:19 PM
Race is human, that's already set. (he's level 2 with permission ofr a limited rebuild.).

He isn't strongly committed to the undeath stuff - he's an evil cleric.

which are the better caster PrCs?

Zen archery - what ranged spells are we talking about?

Uh, all of them. And all ranged attacks. If you have Zen Archery you add your Wis modifier to all ranged attacks/ranged touch spells instead of Dex.

tyckspoon
2007-12-12, 09:26 PM
Uh, all of them. And all ranged attacks. If you have Zen Archery you add your Wis modifier to all ranged attacks/ranged touch spells instead of Dex.

It's helpful if you want to go for an archer as your combat schtick instead of melee. Clerics don't have all that many ranged touch spells (unlike Wizards with rays); most cleric spells are either targeted or melee touches. Zen Archery could be useful if you pick up Reach Spell or eventually take a Hierophant level for divine reach to turn everything into a ranged touch.

EphU437
2007-12-12, 10:38 PM
thanks for the responses so far.

What are the best non-good caster PrCs, drawing from all 3.5 sources?

Swordguy
2007-12-13, 12:09 AM
You know when we're deciding what is and isn't too powerful to use as anything more than a theoretical exercise? The phrase 'infinite damage' is a pretty good indicator that it IS too powerful for a real game. :smallwink:

*shurg* He asked for min-maxing, and that as about as maxed as it gets. :smallbiggrin:

I don't like the term, or the idea, but if you're gonna commit to something, do it whole hog.