PDA

View Full Version : Path of the Psion

Rerem115
2023-12-26, 01:32 PM
Someone in a campaign I'm in has been itching to try and remake their KoTOR character in 5e, but didn't like the psionic options available. So, I brewed this up, made it a bit more setting agnostic, and I was wondering what y'all's thoughts were.

**Edited after 4th pass**

Some psions are disciplined, erudite ascetics who rely on practice and study to refine their powers. Others, though, are bubbling wellsprings of raw power, acting on instinct and emotion to crush their adversaries with the sheer force of their body and mind.

Path of the Psion

Level
Proficiency Bonus
Features

3rd
+2
Psychokinesis (1d6), Psionic Power

6th
+3
Fortitude of Mind, Detect Life

10th
+4
Psy-Powered Leap, Shattering Strike

14th
+5
Psychokinesis (2d6), Towering Will

3rd Level
Psychokinesis: While raging, your Unarmed Strikes and weapon attacks deal an additional 1d6 Psychic/Radiant/Fire damage, chosen when you pick this subclass. At 14th level, this additional damage increases to 2d6.

Psionic Power: You harbor a wellspring of psionic energy within yourself. This energy is represented by your Psionic Energy dice, which are each a d6. You have a number of these dice equal to twice your proficiency bonus, and they fuel various psionic powers you have, which are detailed below.

Some of your powers expend the Psionic Energy die they use, as specified in a power's description, and you can't use a power if it requires you to use a die when your dice are all expended. You regain all your expended Psionic Energy dice when you finish a long rest. In addition, as a bonus action, you can regain one expended Psionic Energy die, but you can't do so again until you finish a short or long rest.

Some of your Psionic Power features require your target to make a saving throw to resist the feature's effects. The saving throw DC is calculated as follows:

Psionic Power save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Constitution modifier.

When you reach certain levels in this class, the size of your Psionic Energy dice increases: at 5th level (d8), 11th level (d10), and 17th level (d12).

The powers below use your Psionic Energy dice.

Intuitive Mind: If you fail an ability check, you can roll one Psionic Energy die and add the number rolled to the check, potentially turning failure into success. You expend the die only if the roll succeeds.

Psychometabolism: As a bonus action, you can expend a Psionic Energy die. Roll the die, and you regain hit points equal to the number rolled plus your Constitution modifier (minimum of one). Alternatively, you can use this power to cure one disease or neutralize one poison affecting you.

Telekinetic Movement: You can move an object or a creature with your mind. When you take the Attack action on your turn, you can replace one of your attacks with a burst of psionic energy, targeting one loose object that is Large or smaller or one creature, other than yourself. If you can see the target and it is within 30 feet of you, you can move it up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space you can see. Unwilling creatures can make a Strength save against your Psionic Power DC to avoid being moved. Either way, you can move the target horizontally, vertically, or both. Once you use Telekinetic Movement, you can't do so again until you finish a long rest, unless you expend a Psionic Energy die to use it again.

6th Level
Fortitude of Mind: You gain proficiency in Wisdom saving throws. If you already have this proficiency, you instead gain proficiency in Intelligence or Charisma saving throws (your choice).

You also gain the following option for your Psionic Energy Dice:

Detect Life: As a bonus action, you can enter a heightened state of awareness. For 10 minutes, you become aware of the location of all creatures within 30 feet of you, and when you attack a creature you can't see, your inability to see it doesn't impose disadvantage on your attack rolls against it. Once you use this feature, you can't do so again until you finish a short or long rest, unless you expend a Psionic Energy die to use this feature again.

10th Level
You have mastered new ways to use your mind to enhance your body, detailed below.

Psy-Powered Leap: As a bonus action, you can propel your body with psionics. You gain a flying speed equal to twice your walking speed until the end of the current turn. Once you take this bonus action, you can't do so again until you finish a short or long rest, unless you expend a Psionic Energy die to take it again.

Shattering Strike: Once on your turn when you hit a creature with an Unarmed Strike or an attack with a melee weapon, you can expend one Psionic Energy die. The target must make a Constitution saving throw against your Psionic Power DC, or the attack becomes a critical hit. Success or failure, the target takes additional Force damage equal to a roll of your Psionic Energy die + your Constitution modifier (minimum of one).

14th Level
Towering Will: When you or a creature within 30 feet of you makes a saving throw, you can expend a Psionic Energy die as a reaction to either help or hinder them. Roll the die, and either add it to the total rolled, potentially causing it to succeed, or subtract it from the total, potentially causing it to fail. You can do this after seeing the initial roll, but must decide before the DM says if it succeeds or fails.

JNAProductions
2023-12-26, 02:33 PM
Level three feels a bit overcrowded. Might not be OP, but it's a LOT.

Level six is also probably not OP, but the hour-long duration means that it'd be pretty easy to have that up whenever you need it.

Level ten needs to say whether or not the added Psionic Die is part of the attack (and so doubled on a crit) or not.

Level fourteen is quite powerful, but given you're fourteen levels deep into Barbarian, I don't think it's OP.

My big question is: Why Strength for your Psionic Save? If it's pure body stuff, it should be Constitution. If it's mental, it should be a mental stat.

Rerem115
2023-12-26, 04:49 PM
Yeah, the first level is pretty 'wide', feature-wise. Psychokinesis is there to emulate a lightsaber for a 3rd level damage bump, but the rest is me running face-first into a common hazard of trying to introduce a new resource pool (especially spellcasting) to a class: you have to give them something to use their slots/dice on, right? Of all of them, I'm least attached to Psychometabolism, but I can see the argument for cutting Intuitive Mind.

I like the hour duration, but I can see how that could be overlong. 10 minutes work?

Shattering Strike probably doesn't need to be doubled on a crit, even if my dice goblin heart cries out for it to be so. Putting a clause like, 'Success or failure, the target takes additional Force damage equal to one roll of your Psionic Energy die + Modifier' should probably work.

As for the Strength question, call it an impulse? I'd been looking at Battlemaster maneuvers a lot and had somatic psionics (Again, Jedi, or Avatar the Last Airbender) on the mind. Though, it could be changed to Con for relatively little loss.

JNAProductions
2023-12-26, 05:17 PM
Yeah, the first level is pretty 'wide', feature-wise. Psychokinesis is there to emulate a lightsaber for a 3rd level damage bump, but the rest is me running face-first into a common hazard of trying to introduce a new resource pool (especially spellcasting) to a class: you have to give them something to use their slots/dice on, right? Of all of them, I'm least attached to Psychometabolism, but I can see the argument for cutting Intuitive Mind.

I like the hour duration, but I can see how that could be overlong. 10 minutes work?

Shattering Strike probably doesn't need to be doubled on a crit, even if my dice goblin heart cries out for it to be so. Putting a clause like, 'Success or failure, the target takes additional Force damage equal to one roll of your Psionic Energy die + Modifier' should probably work.

As for the Strength question, call it an impulse? I'd been looking at Battlemaster maneuvers a lot and had somatic psionics (Again, Jedi, or Avatar the Last Airbender) on the mind. Though, it could be changed to Con for relatively little loss.

For Intuitive Mind, I'd just make it any ability check.

10 minutes seems fine-good for one encounter for sure, possibly two if you rush it, but not too easy to keep up all day.

Sounds good.

I think Constitution is the better choice, if you don't want a mental stat for it. (And I entirely get why you'd be hesitant to make it a mental stat.)

Rerem115
2023-12-26, 06:48 PM
Oh, yes, I'm pretty dead-set on making this a physical 'caster'; no need to make my buddy spread their ASIs any thinner.

Those changes seem fine, and I've updated the original post to match.

JNAProductions
2023-12-26, 06:50 PM
Oh! I notice that the extra damage only works on weapon attacks.

I’d change that to any attack-basically just adds Unarmed Strikes to it, since you can’t do spells while raging, but it’d be good for a barehanded brawler.

Rerem115
2023-12-26, 07:01 PM
That's because I wanted to make it work with thrown weapons! Because the rules are silly, I couldn't find a way to make it work for both thrown and unarmed without specifying a range.

...Which I probably could do, it's just not as elegant as I like.

JNAProductions
2023-12-26, 07:23 PM
That's because I wanted to make it work with thrown weapons! Because the rules are silly, I couldn't find a way to make it work for both thrown and unarmed without specifying a range.

...Which I probably could do, it's just not as elegant as I like.

"While Raging, your attacks deal an additional 1d6 points of damage of [TYPE]."

Normally you'd want language excluding spells, but Rage.

Edit: That would make it work on proper ranged weapons... Which seems fine to me.

Rerem115
2023-12-26, 07:30 PM
Ahhh, that makes sense.

JNAProductions
2023-12-26, 07:34 PM
For formatting, I recommend using the bits and bobs from this thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?521278-Preset-Class-Tables-for-5e-Homebrew). Full credit to Ziegander for making it originally, I just updated them with [NOPARSE].