PDA

View Full Version : Large AoE Spells

Shinoskay
2023-12-26, 05:07 PM
Any good AoE spells? Ive got energy admixture for double damage... I want to run born of three thunders and explosive... ive got the ability to shape my spells.

just want a really cool anti army spells that will rip the ranks apart (or at least drop them on their ass) by doing sonic, lightning, other element, and throws opponents around.

Paragon
2023-12-26, 05:34 PM
Boreal Wind's AoE is insane iirc

Kish
2023-12-26, 05:48 PM
Depending on what exactly you're looking for, Blistering Radiance (from Spell Compendium, fourth level for a wizard or sorcerer or fifth level for a cleric) is a large-scale spell which does trivial damage in a 50-foot radius in one round, but has a duration of one round/level, easily reaching enough damage to annihilate an army over its duration.

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-12-26, 06:20 PM
Depending on whether you can get a huge movement speed (such as via the phantom steed spell, for instance), Permanencied, Widened detect magic works very well as a replacement for locate city in the Locate City Bomb™ or the Fell Drain version of it. Or both! Concentrate on detect magic while moving across large swaths of the battlefield, and watch as the enemy army literally wilts under your gaze.

Anthrowhale
2023-12-26, 09:22 PM
Call Avalanche is a decent seed for Explosive Spell.

Erupt is the best AoE damage spell, although it's a fort half.

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-12-26, 09:27 PM
Erupt is the best AoE damage spell, although it's a fort half.The stupid targeting rules mean that erupt only affects everything within Touch range, so the Area entry means absolutely nothing unless you can touch things at very extensive ranges.

Anthrowhale
2023-12-26, 10:20 PM
The stupid targeting rules mean that erupt only affects everything within Touch range, so the Area entry means absolutely nothing unless you can touch things at very extensive ranges.

Yeah---lots of area spells suffer this defect. I gave up on it and decided to go with clear RAI over RAW here. If you don't want to do that, shoehorning onto an arcane archer is another approach.

Vizzerdrix
2023-12-27, 12:09 AM
Can't Fell Drain be applied to caltrops? Shape spell fell drain caltrops would cause havoc to an army on the march.

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-12-27, 12:13 AM
What happens if you reshape grease into a Widened cone?

Biggus
2023-12-27, 12:12 PM
Any good AoE spells? Ive got energy admixture for double damage... I want to run born of three thunders and explosive... ive got the ability to shape my spells.

just want a really cool anti army spells that will rip the ranks apart (or at least drop them on their ass) by doing sonic, lightning, other element, and throws opponents around.

What class are you?

Beni-Kujaku
2023-12-28, 09:25 AM
My answer to every question, as per Vaarsuvius's theorem, is always Apocalypse from the Sky.

Shpadoinkle
2023-12-28, 10:04 AM
In one issue of Dragon Magazine, there was a feat called War Magic Study, which lets you cast 'war' spells, which multiplies the effect of the spell, with a proportionately increased casting time, but without increasing the spell level. Like, the "War Mount" spell is the same as the level 1 "Mount" spell, except you can summon up to 25 horses with it, with the caveat that the casting time becomes something like an hour. This is stuff I half-remember without looking it up so I might be slightly off, but it's worth looking into for some guidelines.

Found an old thread about it here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?306567-War-Spells!-Discussion-and-Application)

Shinoskay
2023-12-28, 03:08 PM
What class are you?

Running a shadowcraft mage build with wish and miracle. so the answer is yes to which class.

I have full wizard casting, almost full cleric casting, ranger spells up to level 5, and nearly any spell from any list up to level.... 7?...