PDA

View Full Version : balanced vampires

krossbow
2007-12-12, 05:09 PM
Hey, I was thinking of making a d20 modern game based on "I am Legend" (the book, not the movie. I've yet to see the movie, but I doubt it will be the same, in which the book talks about "living" and "dead" vampiries)

I was going to do a setup where multiple people who were immune to the vampiric effects organize into a society, and the "new breed" organizes into a society, with both of them having to fend off attacks by "dead vampires" and having a cold war type scenario.

In such a situation, I'm trying to figure out a way to balance the "living" vampires so that they'd have strengths but not be overpowered in comparision to humans.

thoughts?

ErrantX
2007-12-12, 05:23 PM
Hey, I was thinking of making a d20 modern game based on "I am Legend" (the book, not the movie. I've yet to see the movie, but I doubt it will be the same, in which the book talks about "living" and "dead" vampiries)

Good good book. Love it.

I was going to do a setup where multiple people who were immune to the vampiric effects organize into a society, and the "new breed" organizes into a society, with both of them having to fend off attacks by "dead vampires" and having a cold war type scenario.

That's a pretty neat idea, also reminds me of Hellgate: London for some reason. Either way, I like survival horror games.

In such a situation, I'm trying to figure out a way to balance the "living" vampires so that they'd have strengths but not be overpowered in comparision to humans.

Try using the half-vampire template from Libris Mortis. If that's not available to you, I'd suggest doing some basic nerfs on the normal vampire template. Cut down ability adjustments by 2-4 and remove most of the special abilities (going to have to do that anyhow). Good luck with that, update the thread with your ideas so we can keep track of it :)

-X