PDA

View Full Version : Help with aberrant minds power origin

Snig
2023-12-28, 02:04 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice. I'm about to start my very first Rime of the Frostmaiden campaign, and I'll be playing an Aberrant Mind Sorcerer.

The secret that the DM has given me involved my character being from another planet and crash landing as a prisoner on a mind flayer ship up in the northern mountains.

I'm playing with ideas around how my character, as a prisoner of the illithid, gained his aberrant mind powers?

I was thinking that the mind flayers grew the prisoners in bio pods as a source of power for their ship. The crash broke them free from the pod and awakened their mind.

Now how do I get from this point, to them actually having powers? What it makes sense to have their mind somehow connected to the mind flayers hive mind?

Another (possibly more convoluted) idea was to have the mind flayers reason for coming here is to free an ancient abolyth which has been frozen in the ice and unlock it's secret knowledge from a millennia of existence? But then I struggle to find a connection between my character and this abolyth.

I'd love to hear some ideas!

Dr.Samurai
2023-12-28, 02:18 PM
What if there was an elder brain onboard as well? The crash killed everyone onboard except your character. They survived on drinking the briny fluid of the elder brain's pool, which provided psionic powers. Your character had to awaken them and hone them in order to escape the crashed ship, where they were trapped for x amount of time.

Mastikator
2023-12-28, 02:19 PM
One of the aberrant origins is "You were implanted with a mind flayer tadpole, but the ceremorphosis never completed. And now its psionic power is yours. When you use it, your flesh shines with a strange mucus.".

Unoriginal
2023-12-28, 06:35 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice. I'm about to start my very first Rime of the Frostmaiden campaign, and I'll be playing an Aberrant Mind Sorcerer.

The secret that the DM has given me involved my character being from another planet and crash landing as a prisoner on a mind flayer ship up in the northern mountains.

I'm playing with ideas around how my character, as a prisoner of the illithid, gained his aberrant mind powers?

I was thinking that the mind flayers grew the prisoners in bio pods as a source of power for their ship. The crash broke them free from the pod and awakened their mind.

Now how do I get from this point, to them actually having powers? What it makes sense to have their mind somehow connected to the mind flayers hive mind?

Another (possibly more convoluted) idea was to have the mind flayers reason for coming here is to free an ancient abolyth which has been frozen in the ice and unlock it's secret knowledge from a millennia of existence? But then I struggle to find a connection between my character and this abolyth.

I'd love to hear some ideas!

The Ind Flayers have a long history of experimenting on their captives and ending up giving them psionic powers.

It can be caused by anything from 'you were a test subject in an experiment meant to improve Illithid mind powers" to "they used their psionics on you so much you built up a resistance, and since you were born a Sorcerer your magic took the new path that was open as a result".

JLandan
2023-12-30, 02:49 PM
Since you're from another planet, you are an alien. So you would have a unique race. That race might be naturally psionic. What other features might fit into a naturally psionic alien?

I would say bust out an old 3e Complete Psionic and/or Expanded Psionic Handbook and find something to adapt to 5e. Shouldn't take much work.

I already did conversions for a psionic campaign I ran some time ago.
Humans, Noble Humans, Dromites, Duergar, Elan, Gith, Half-Giant, Maenad, Synad, Thri-kreen, Warforged, Xeph.

If you're interested, I could post the stats.

Psyren
2024-01-05, 11:39 AM
Since you're from another planet, you are an alien. So you would have a unique race. That race might be naturally psionic. What other features might fit into a naturally psionic alien?

I would say bust out an old 3e Complete Psionic and/or Expanded Psionic Handbook and find something to adapt to 5e. Shouldn't take much work.

I already did conversions for a psionic campaign I ran some time ago.
Humans, Noble Humans, Dromites, Duergar, Elan, Gith, Half-Giant, Maenad, Synad, Thri-kreen, Warforged, Xeph.

If you're interested, I could post the stats.

Adding to this list (which contains official races like Duergar and Thri-Kreen), 5e contains other naturally psionic races like Githyanki / Githzerai, Svirfneblin, Gem Dragonborn, Vedalken and Kalashtar, as well as other races that you could get a racial psionic connection onto with minor tweaks like a Kobold with gem ancestry, a Goliath reskinned as a Half-Giant, Changelings, Blue Goblins, Reborn, Astral Elves and Yuan-Ti.