PDA

View Full Version : Prestige Class(es) that Replace Base Class Levels?

Delden Roev
2023-12-28, 05:59 PM
Once upon a time I recall stumbling across an official 3.0/3.5 (possibly Dragon/Dungeon Mag?) prestige class that forcibly retrained/replaced multiple levels in a base class. Essentially, once you qualified, you could automatically replace multiple levels in a qualifying base class with levels in the prestige class. I cannot for the life of me remember which prestige class this was, or what the specific mechanic was that allowed for it. I thought it was something akin to a Ronin class that replaces the Samurai base class, but cannot find it. Does anyone know which prestige class this was, and what the source book was? Are there multiple prestige classes that feature this (or a similar) mechanic?

Aside from this being a nifty curiosity, and the infuriating aspect of not being able to remember/find it, I am ultimately looking for a way to be double-prestige-classed on both sides of a gestalt build, despite the rules of gestalt normally not allowing for it (arguably, a forcible retrain/replacement of existing base class levels by way of a prestige class feature bypasses this limitation).

Anthrowhale
2023-12-28, 06:06 PM
Blackguard? Maho-Tsukai (sort of).

Forrestfire
2023-12-28, 06:12 PM
Ronin is in Complete Warrior. There's also the Blackguard in the DMG and the Defiant from the Planar Handbook (trades cleric levels). I'm not aware of others off the top of my head.

ShurikVch
2023-12-28, 06:44 PM
Ghostwalk did it "backward": when ghost comes back to life, it can replace levels in Eidolon or Eidoloncer with levels in any other available class

In case of Kingdoms of Kalamar - Darklight Wizard: the 1st level in it removes all the levels in all the classes you have (Base and Prestige) - but allow to keep feats, skill ranks, and ability scores

noce
2023-12-29, 03:49 AM
Not what you're looking for but Shadowbane Stalker stacks with Paladin when falling into a Blackguard, so you could replace it with Blackguard levels.
Also, Shadowcaster allows you to trade Wizard or Sorcerer levels for Shadowcaster levels.