PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Pokemon-related RPG

Chainedbirds
2023-12-28, 09:14 PM
Good Day,

I've been working on a system to play as a Pokemon, similar to the Mystery Dungeon games, but with the allowance of DnD character progression. I've spent some time building up the Basics and wondered if there was anything I should consider, change, or remove when combining this with DnD 5e. Using 5e for simplicity and because it is the only system my gaming group plays at the moment.

Levels
1 DnD Level is equivalent to 5 Pokemon Levels. So all Pokemon Adventurers start as Level 5 Pokemon and will eventually Capstone at 100 Pokemon Levels (or 20 DnD Levels)
It is suggested that all starting Pokemon be at their 1st stage of Evolution (Ex: Pichu) or a non-Mythic or Legendary Pokemon without the ability to Evolve (Ex: Absol)
Pokemon Attacks
You are only allowed to carry a total of 4 Pokemon Moves on your character at any given time.
You know all Pokemon moves your species of Pokemon would learn or know at their current Pokemon Level, excluding Egg/TM/HM or Taught Moves. If a Pokemon learns a Pokemon Attack outside of Level-Up (TM/HM/Etc.), they may relearn that move during a Long-Rest if they currently do not have it equipped.
During a Long-Rest, a Pokemon may change out any or all of their current Pokemon Attacks for any other move they know or have learned before.
Pokemon Attacks have 3 categories: At-Will (PP Cost 25 or Higher), Once-Per-Short-Rest (PP Costs 15-20), and Once-Per-Long-Rest (PP Costs 1-10).
If a Pokemon Attack would be Super Effective against a certain Type of Pokemon, That Pokemon receives an additional 50% more damage (rounded up), and makes Saving Throws or Ability Checks against that Attack at Disadvantage.
If a Pokemon Attack would be Not Very Effective against a certain Type or Pokemon, That Pokemon is considered Resistant to the damage dealt, and makes Saving Throws or Ability Checks against that Attack at Advantage.
STAB (Same Type Attack Bonus) Applies your Proficiency Bonus to Attacks, Damage, and Save DC.
You may use At-Will Melee or Ranged Attacks as a part of your Attack Action, and may use additional attacks if you are capable of making multiple attacks in a round.
Pokemon Attack Save DCs
Pokemon Attacks come in multiple different forms and use different Ability Scores depending on the move being used.
Melee Attack: Uses Strength.
Melee Attack (Finesse): Can use Strength or Dexterity.
Melee Attack (Special): Uses either Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma, chosen at character creation.
Ranged Attack: Uses Dexterity.
Ranged Attack (Power): Can use Strength or Dexterity.
Ranged Attack (Special): Uses either Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma, chosen at character creation.
Buff: Normally does not have a Save, otherwise uses either Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma, chosen at character creation.
Debuff: Uses either Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma, chosen at character creation.
Pokemon Damage and Resistances
Resistances and Weaknesses are kept inline with the Pokemon Type Charts in normal Pokemon games (Ex: a Fire Type Pokemon would naturally resist Ice and Fire damage, whilst a Water Type Pokemon would take extra damage from Electric damage). To expand on this, the following types of Damage will be converted to their Pokemon Equivalent:
FIRE = FIRE / FROST = ICE / LIGHTNING = ELECTRIC / ACID = WATER /
NECROTIC = GHOST / RADIANT = FAIRY / PSYCHIC = PSYCHIC /
THUNDER = NORMAL
Force damage will remain the same as in DnD with no Pokemon Type associated.
Evolution
During a Long-Rest, or immediately after your current Level equals or Exceeds the Pokemon Level that would cause Evolution, you may choose to Evolve. If you Evolve via an item or other special condition, you may choose to Evolve as soon as the item is used or the condition is met.
If Evolution causes the Pokemon to lose a Type (Water, Normal, etc.) and Replace that Type with a new one, that Pokemon keeps the benefits they once gained from that previous type, but can no longer gain any additional bonuses of that type going forward in Levels (if any).
If You do not have an Evolution, you gain an additional Feat at DnD Levels 1, 6, 11, and 16.
Additional Magic Item Slot
All Pokemon have a Held Item Slot in addition to the normal DnD Body Slots for equipment and Magic Items. This Held Item Slot can hold Berries, Pokemon Equipments, Pokemon Tools, and other Pokemon related items. Most held items will grant Passive Effects whilst in the Held Item Slot to the Pokemon Holding it, but requires 1 hour of attunement to take effect. Use Items, like Berries, can be used as a Bonus Action and/or Reaction depending on the item being used.
Pokemon Types
Pokemon have Bonuses granted to them from their Type. If you change your Type temporarily to a new Type using Pokemon Attacks, Abilities, or Spells, you do not get the Bonus Proficiency options awarded to that Type.
At Character Creation, or upon Evolving into a Pokemon with a new Type, you may select two Skill Proficiencies associated with that Type. If you only have one Type, you gain all Skills Proficiencies associated with that Type.
Pokemon Egg Groups
Pokemon also gain some Passive effects for their Egg Group(s).
If a Pokemon’s Evolution causes them to replace their Egg Groups (Ex: Nidoran Evolving into Nidorina), they lose all effects and bonuses from the lost group and gain all the benefits of the new group.
Pokemon Sizes
Pokemon Sizes are often inconsistent, but Pokemon will be categorized into 4 Categories Based off of Average sizes:
0.1 m - 0.4 m Tiny
0.5 m - 1.0 m Small [Base Movement 25 ft]
1.1 m - 2.0 m Medium [Base Movement 30 ft]
2.1 m - 4.0 m Large [Base Movement 35 ft]
While some Pokemon can be Huge, Diminutive, Gargantuan, or Colossal, most will be among these initial parameters.
Ev-Yield
During character creation and Evolutions, apply the Ev-Yield Bonus as a permanent Racial Bonus to your ability scores according to this chart:
HP = CHARISMA
ATK = STRENGTH
DEF = CONSTITUTION
S.ATK = INTELLIGENCE
S.DEF = WISDOM
SPEED = DEXTERITY
SKILLS
Strength: Athletics
Dexterity: Acrobatics, Sleight of Hand, Stealth
Intelligence: Arcane, History, Nature, Investigation, Pokedex
Wisdom: Insight, Medicine, Perception, Survival, Pokedex
Charisma: Deception, Intimidation, Performance, Persuasion, Pokedex
Skill: Pokedex
You may use this skill to Identify other Pokemon. On success, you gain knowledge on a Pokemon’s Type, Egg Group, Minimum Level, and Common Pokemon Ability. Additional information can be rewarded to those who succeed on the check by 5 or more. Common Pokemon, ones known to your Species or from your region, are relatively easy to identify, while those from other regions or who are exceedingly rare to encounter (Like Pseudo-Legendaries, Mythics, and Legendaries) will have a higher DC. You may use Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma when making this check (Chosen at Character Creation).
All Pokemon are Proficient in this Skill

The only Pokemon concept I did not include was Natures, as having an Ability boost to a certain personality just felt off in an RPG setting; kind of like giving a Bonus to a Stat depending on the Alignment you choose.

I'll also post an example of a Level 1 Pokemon without a Class as a Base:

Charmander
Level: 1 (Pokemon Level 5) - Hit Die 1d8 (For Fire Types)
Height: Small (0.6m)
Type: Fire
Egg Group: Dragon + Monster
Ability: Blaze (Hidden Ability: Solar Power)
EV-Yield: +1 Dexterity (1 Speed)

[B]Sun Drinker. You do not suffer penalties or environmental damage in areas of extreme heat. You do not need to drink water to maintain Hydration.
Fiery Retribution. When you are hit by a Melee attack (Unless the Type of Damage is one that would be Super Effective against you), you can use your Reaction to deal Fire damage to the attacker equal to 2 x your proficiency bonus. If the attacker takes Damage from this trait, and is not resistant to Fire damage, they must make a DC (11 + either your Intelligence or Charisma Modifier) Constitution saving throw, or gain the Burned Condition for a number of rounds equal to your proficiency bonus. You can't use this trait again until you finish a Short Rest.
Skill Proficiencies: Persuasion, Arcana, Acrobatics, Sleight of Hand, Performance

Monstrous Strength. You may Ignore the Heavy or Two-Handed Property of Weapons you wield.
Monstrous Build. You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.

Cantrip. You know one cantrip of your choice from any spell list. Charisma or Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for it.
Craftsmanship. You gain proficiency in a tool and instrument of your choice.

Pokemon Attacks Known:
- Growl. [At-Will] [Debuff] [15 ft Cone] [Action]:
- You give off a menacing sound that hesitates your opponents. Each enemy creature in a 15 ft cone must make a Charisma saving throw. On a failed save, a creature's Ranged and Melee non-Special Attacks receive a -1 penalty on Attack and Damage rolls for 1 Minute.
- Scratch. [At-Will] [Melee Attack (Finesse)] [Action]:
- You strike at an opponent with your sharp claws. On a hit, the target takes 1d8 Normal/Slash damage.
- Ember. [At-Will] [Ranged Attack (Special)] [Action]:
- You launch a bead of fire at a creature or object within range. On a hit, the target takes 1d6 Fire damage and must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or gain the Burned Condition until the end of your next turn. A flammable object hit by this attack ignites if it isn’t being worn or carried.

I'd rather not flood this first post with too much information, so I'll leave the Type and Egg Group charts out for now. I am also aware that Pokemon will be on a higher power-level than most races in DnD based on the above information, but it will be Pokemon VS Pokemon, so (I hope) everything can be balanced out in the end.

Any and all questions and commentary are welcome.

Just to Browse
2023-12-30, 09:16 PM
Always happy to see a new take on the pokemon rpg project! Have you run this at the table yet?

On first blush, I'm leery of 1-to-1 conversions between video games and RPGs, especially when hacking into an existing system where you don't have the opportunity to reuse rules infrastructure. I'm seeing some rough edges in stuff like the EV mapping where HP maps to Cha instead of Con (because DEF has to map to Con), or STAB bonuses which affect accuracy instead of damage. The rules of pokemon don't line up cleanly with D&D, so no matter how hard you work, uou're going to end up with weird rough edges.

I know you mentioned going for 5e to fit your group, but based on your organization, I think 4e D&D would be a really good fit. Powers are heavily codified & tagged, characters have small numbers of powers, and the Daily/Enc/At-Will structure is similar to your PP divisions.

Chainedbirds
2024-01-04, 04:38 AM
Good note, as I have essentially plastered the 4e Attacks as Pokemon Attacks in regards to usage and power. I should probably look into those 4e things when figuring out the potencies of Daily (Long-Rest) or Encounter (Short-Rest) Attacks that are purely damage or save-or-X type effects.

My table is somewhat interested in the system, but only 1 is actively helping me out in regards to mechanics and Type/Egg Group stuff. With a bit more interest from the other members, I think we can get a one-shot off at least to test and see if the system just implodes at first encounter.

I'm seeing some rough edges in stuff like the EV mapping where HP maps to Cha instead of Con (because DEF has to map to Con), or STAB bonuses which affect accuracy instead of damage. The rules of pokemon don't line up cleanly with D&D, so no matter how hard you work, you're going to end up with weird rough edges.

STAB also applies to Damage. It mostly works okay when comparing it to Cantrips and spells, though a lot more useful early game for those who can get STAB (surprisingly not many Lvl 5 Pokemon get a non-Normal attack).

In regards to the EV stuff, it was essentially my solution to how to apply Racial Bonuses to Ability scores in an efficient way. Charisma - HP was initially a "I guess it just goes there", but looking at the list of Pokemon who's EV Yields are HP, many could be considered on the more Charismatic side. Many Normal and Fairy Types are included, and coincidentally, Giratina and Arceus are both on there.

The only other solution would be a choice for each like a [+1 Def] = [+1 Con] or [+1 Cha]. Player choice and all.