PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Any way for a non-native outsider to prevent banishment?

redking
2023-12-29, 08:31 AM
It's not clear to me that Dimensional Anchor will protect an outsider from the Banishment. What can the discerning outsider do to protect itself from meddling adventurers?

loky1109
2023-12-29, 08:51 AM
Naturalized Denizen feat (UA, 94)

glass
2023-12-29, 12:03 PM
Just a note: Banishment does not care that whether you are an Outsider (Native or otherwise). It cares if you are Extraplanar. So the trivial answer is: Be on your home plane. Being on any plane other than the potential caster's home plane works too.

EDIT: Aside from that, Banishment allows SR and a Save, so boosts to either or both of those will help. And of course, Spell Immunity is an option.

Inevitability
2023-12-29, 05:31 PM
Fiendform, strangely enough.

Spells and effects that harm or ward evil outsiders affect you, and any effect that would normally banish an outsider to its home plane instead ends the spell and leaves you staggered for 1 round per caster level.

RAW, this clause applies even if you would get banished without an active Fiendform, too.

redking
2023-12-30, 09:14 AM
Naturalized Denizen feat (UA, 94)

This seems to have the most solid, unambiguous verbiage of the lot. I wonder what an item of that might cost.

Eurus
2023-12-30, 11:12 AM
I think you could carry around a spellblade weapon keyed to dismissal and/or banishment, if you're worried about those spells in particular and want an item based solution.

Yogibear41
2023-12-31, 01:27 AM
Rod of Embassy Magic Item, in arms and equipment guide I believe. (maybe other books too)

Crake
2023-12-31, 02:22 AM
It's not clear to me that Dimensional Anchor will protect an outsider from the Banishment. What can the discerning outsider do to protect itself from meddling adventurers?

Dimensional anchor very much DOES protect you from banishment. It prevents any and all forms of planar travel, and banishment is most definitely a form of planar travel.

Doctor Despair
2023-12-31, 12:04 PM
This seems to have the most solid, unambiguous verbiage of the lot. I wonder what an item of that might cost.

I believe guidelines suggest ~10k per feat