PDA

View Full Version : Crafting with long lasting spells-cost and rules question

Elvensilver
2023-12-29, 11:54 AM
One of my players would like to craft a belt of lesser age resistance for her witch. Seems easy, right? CL7 7*SL 4*1800(for command word activated) /(5/1 (charge per day)) . But there's also a row for continuous items - or use activated items. Using the price for continuous items, another way to compute the cost would be : CL7*SL4*2000*0.5. Which way is correct? Am I right to assume that I can't factor in charges per day in the second try? As a continuous item of a 24h spell should not need charges and this should be factored in in the cost of continuous.

And regarding spells with a long duration and item crafting, how would one go about pricing an item that gave a continuous effect, that might be dismissed (for the reminder of the day) for an instantaneous benefit? Something like 'Goggles of Heightened Awareness' (https://aonprd.com/SpellDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Heightened%20Awareness) .

Yora
2023-12-29, 12:11 PM
I remember struggling with that very question many ages ago... :smallwink:

What item creation rules do you use? D&D or Pathfinder? Seems magic item creation costs are the same.

If you want to have an item whose effect is always on when it is worn, that's a continuous effect. 28,000 gp.

If you are happy with the item having one charge per day and you have to take an action to turn it on every morning, then you can make it command word. 10,080 gp.

zlefin
2023-12-29, 02:21 PM
There is no single 'correct' way; that's part of why they explicitly note the numbers they give are guidelines, and ad hoc adjustments can and should be made to fix them for some cases, as well as by comparing to existing items. They simply aren't robust enough to cover all the various spells well; it's just a rough estimate that works adequately in the more typical cases.

If it's a 24h spell, I'd use the continuous cost rather than the charges cost as my default, unless the effect is one that might well be dispelled. ie when considering the item from a balance perspective, if it's 24h, needs be refreshed daily, and you have 1 use/day, then if it gets dispelled, you lose the benefit until the next day; how relevant that is varies considerably. Whereas a standard dispelling on a continuous item would just shut it off for a few rounds.

Chronos
2023-12-30, 09:32 AM
Agreed that the "rules" are just guidelines. But I would say that the fact that a spell normally has a very long duration means that it's easy to keep it up, long-term, and so I would let the player use the cheaper once-per-day price (though again, note the implications for dispelling, if that's something you care about).