PDA

View Full Version : Ipod, Ipod, Ipod...

Mr. Mud
2007-12-12, 07:41 PM
With all the talk about the "touch" and the smaller ipod nano, I begin to wonder, What happened to the good ole Mp3 player?

I mean sure, the Ipod can hold more media, has nicer screens, (in most cases) and the brand name is catchy, But my Mp3 player can record sounds, has the same clarity of an Ipod, and fits my hand a lot easier.

-- Oh and by the way, if I’m just ranting on about this it’s because I want an ipod this holiday season :elan:

Vella_Malachite
2007-12-12, 07:51 PM
I have almost exactly the same issue. I have an MP3 that fits my needs perfectly, and one of my friends is always telling me to get an iPod because "it does X and Y and Z and Q and R!!"

I wouldn't use that stuff anyway, why does it even matter?

Kjata
2007-12-12, 07:59 PM
I love ipods. But im not shelling out the money for a new nano when the one i got now is perfectly fine.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-12-12, 08:23 PM
I had a friend who lent me his Ipod mini for a few months, and I was wholly unimpressed. My two biggest issues with it are the awful sound quality and just as terrible battery life. I got a Samsung mp3 player for Christmas last year, and it's great. I can upload pictures on it, listen to the radio, record sound in addition to the music and I don't have to worry about recharging the batter for at least a week, and it's smaller than any Ipod except nano.

warty goblin
2007-12-12, 08:26 PM
I am completely without a portable music player that's smaller than my 5lb laptop. I like life without an mp3 player, it keeps me from being run over by cars.

That said, I've never understood the iPod thing. Sure it looks kinda cool, but its just another thing to worry about, deal with, charge, and fool around with.

Rogue 7
2007-12-12, 08:36 PM
I love my iPod nano. Great battery life, good sound quality, and works without problems. Portable, good-looking, and easy to use. I approve.

A Rainy Knight
2007-12-12, 08:36 PM
I love ipods. But im not shelling out the money for a new nano when the one i got now is perfectly fine.

Same here. I have an older Ipod Mini. Sure, there are nicer ones out there like a nano or a video Ipod. But the nano seems like it would be easy to lose, and I'm not really interested in the Ipod video. I'm probably not going to worry about any kind of MP3 player as long as good ol' faithful Mini still works.

2007-12-12, 08:39 PM
In regards to the Ipod video (and Iphone for that matter) I have no idea why someone would ever want to watch videos/movies on a screen that small.

Raistlin1040
2007-12-12, 09:00 PM
Zune ftw! Actually I don't really have a preferance. My 30GB Zune cost less than a 30GB iPod, so I got it.

DraPrime
2007-12-12, 09:02 PM
In regards to the Ipod video (and Iphone for that matter) I have no idea why someone would ever want to watch videos/movies on a screen that small.

Because it's a heck of a lot more easy than carrying around a tv and dvd player with you wherever you go.

Sneak
2007-12-12, 09:20 PM

I use mine for watching Firefly everywhere I go. :smallwink:

Seriously, though, I personally approve of iPods. True, I am a diehard Apple fan (especially the sour green kind, those Red Delicious ones suck), and maybe that has something to do with it, but...

...well, iPods are good looking, sound amazing (at least with my expensive Bose earbuds/headphones), small, light, easy to carry around...and they actually do last quite a while, even when watching videos. I can watch a few movies before having to charge it.

Although before I get too worked up, I must admit that I have never tried any alternative. I just see no need to. I don't mind people that like other brands. They can make their own choices. I personally like iPods, so I stick to them.

2007-12-12, 09:37 PM
Because it's a heck of a lot more easy than carrying around a tv and dvd player with you wherever you go.

That's what I have a laptop for. In fact, you can actually get a good portable dvd player with a 7" screen for around $100 less than an Ipod Video.

Gorbash Kazdar
2007-12-12, 09:52 PM
Zune ftw! Actually I don't really have a preferance. My 30GB Zune cost less than a 30GB iPod, so I got it.
Hey, another Zune owner! That makes... 4 I know of, counting myself, a coworker, and Jerry Holkins (Tycho of Penny Arcade).

I also have the 30GB one, which I'm very happy with... except that I'm running out of space on it, even with not very much video. That 80GB one is starting to look attractive...

bugsysservant
2007-12-12, 09:54 PM
I paid >$100 for my 4gb mp3 player/radio/voice recorder/video player/photo viewer/waffle maker. I can't conceive of wanting a different, more expensive, more limited player. My brother, who wants an ipod for Christmas says he wants it for the "cute accessories." :smallsigh:

Raistlin1040
2007-12-12, 10:06 PM
Hey, another Zune owner! That makes... 4 I know of, counting myself, a coworker, and Jerry Holkins (Tycho of Penny Arcade).

I also have the 30GB one, which I'm very happy with... except that I'm running out of space on it, even with not very much video. That 80GB one is starting to look attractive...

You are now my new best friend! :smallwink:

Also, off topic, can you burn DVDs you own directly to a Zune (Via computer), or do you need to go through all the illegal downloarding, ripping, converting, burning crap?

Ceska
2007-12-13, 01:09 AM
I have a 2GB USB port mp3 player that I do not use other than as an USB stick for most of the time. It fits my needs and was very cheap.
A friend has a Samsung, I think Samsung, mp4 player that came cheaper than an ipod of the same capacity would have cost, so I have no clue why you would want one of those.

evisiron
2007-12-13, 01:20 AM
2GB for $35. MP3 players ftw!

The only real advantage my ol' ipod mini had was that with the metal casing, it was nigh indestructable. This new thing looks like it could shatter with only a mild hammer blow. :smallamused:

The Extinguisher
2007-12-13, 01:48 AM
I only have one because iTunes is the best music player I've found, but they only upload to iPods. So until I get a new Mp3 player, I have to use it.

It's a neverending cycle of Apple.
Oh god, they're sucking me in!

TheRabidWalnut
2007-12-13, 08:16 AM
I only have one because iTunes is the best music player I've found, but they only upload to iPods. So until I get a new Mp3 player, I have to use it.

MediaMonkey for the win...

The only thing I dislike about the iPod Nano (and there is a lot to praise about it) is the stupid drm-like cable. I want a standard micro USB socket

factotum
2007-12-13, 09:58 AM
I wouldn't have an iPod for two crucial reasons:

a) It's way overpriced for what it is. Typical Apple product, really--they believe that making something look pretty is enough of an excuse to charge 50% more than anyone else.

b) iTunes. It is an abomination that will never touch any machine I own.

Jack Squat
2007-12-13, 10:17 AM
I have a MiniDisk player, and it works fine thus far (2+years).

I personally don't mind the iPod itself, but I hate iTunes. I don't know why, but I do. I'd much rather stick with being able to use Winamp or Windows Media Player to sync up my player than have to download yet another program anyways.

valadil
2007-12-13, 10:24 AM
60gb iPod video for me and I love it. I wouldn't go with anything else because of the iPod adapter in my car that lets me control 60gb of music from my steering wheel. I have yet to see an adapter for another player (though I haven't been looking).

Of course I also convinced my honda dealership to buy me the iPod when I get the car (nat 20 on diplomacy) so the price wasn't a factor for me.

I don't usually watch videos on it, but it's great for airplanes.

Tweekinator
2007-12-13, 02:24 PM
I wouldn't have an iPod for two crucial reasons:

a) It's way overpriced for what it is. Typical Apple product, really--they believe that making something look pretty is enough of an excuse to charge 50% more than anyone else.

b) iTunes. It is an abomination that will never touch any machine I own.

This as well as the fact that I don't want my mp3 player to not be able to play a song regardless of where I downloaded it from(ipods won't play files from the rhapsody service if I remember correctly).

valadil
2007-12-13, 02:49 PM
This as well as the fact that I don't want my mp3 player to not be able to play a song regardless of where I downloaded it from(ipods won't play files from the rhapsody service if I remember correctly).

Heh, I'm the opposite. I wouldn't download or pay for a song if I couldn't play it wherever I wanted.

Tweekinator
2007-12-13, 03:33 PM
Heh, I'm the opposite. I wouldn't download or pay for a song if I couldn't play it wherever I wanted.

I'm pretty sure that's what I said..

And why would you need to differentiate between download and pay? To all of us law-abiding folk here, those are synonymous and no one except a baby-stealing, police-murdering scumbag would download anything without paying for it. At least, that's what our RIAA overlords tell us, and they wouldn't lie, would they?

Jack Squat
2007-12-13, 11:47 PM

And why would you need to differentiate between download and pay? To all of us law-abiding folk here, those are synonymous and no one except a baby-stealing, police-murdering scumbag would download anything without paying for it. At least, that's what our RIAA overlords tell us, and they wouldn't lie, would they?

I don't pay a cent for dowloading music, and it's 100% legal. Yay for my University having a deal w/ Ruckus.

Granted, I can't play it anywhere but on my laptop...yet

The Vanishing Hitchhiker
2007-12-14, 12:44 AM
My mom got me an Ipod (I refuse to submit to your proprietary capitalization of evil!) for Christmas a few years ago - an Ipod Nano. I still use it, but I'd be able to put a lot more than 2 gb of music on it if she hadn't gone out and got the shiniest thing with the biggest name. Ah, parents, always clueless no matter how hip they are. :smallwink:

RTGoodman
2007-12-14, 12:53 AM
I don't pay a cent for dowloading music, and it's 100% legal. Yay for my University having a deal w/ Ruckus.

Yeah, they told us we had free music downloading, but never actually mentioned the part about it only playing on computers that you downloaded all the software on...

Anyway, I also refuse to shell out that much money for a portable music player of any kind. I really want a Zune (got to look at one and play with it at OzzFest back in August, and that further increased my interest in one), but I just can't see needing something for that price.

Also, I see enough idiots walking around campus with their Ipods and cell phones mashed to their heads all day, and it just looks stupid to me. I don't want to join that crowd.

Icewalker
2007-12-14, 12:56 AM
I have an iPod, works fine, no problems with it. Basically, if you prefer an MP3 player or don't need one, don't get one.

I don't use it much, actually. I used to listen to it over speakers, but I've pretty much replaced it with iTunes (because I'm always at my computer anyways) and Pandora Radio (http://www.pandora.com/).

I usually bring it with me on trips lasting more than a few days, and sometimes listen to it.

I also put seasons 1-4 of Futurama on it, so...yeah.

de-trick
2007-12-14, 01:01 AM
I have a original shuffle, fits my style I only like about 39 songs I like, bonus though only few people want to borrow it because my music.:smallamused:

Vella_Malachite
2007-12-14, 02:00 AM
My Creative Zen Neeon (no typo) is great. It does just what I want it to and has so far crashed/stopped working 100% less than all my friends' iPods. I only listen to music; why should I pay $50+ extra for something I won't use?

Plus, I have a dress with a comically oversized belt that is, incidentally, just the right size for me to slip my MP3 into those loops that hold the belt without coming out when I walk, even if I am jumping.

And so far it's gone down three flights of stairs and over 4 benchtops onto hard surfaces without any ill effects, a fact I am insanely grateful for.

I lost my first MP3, my parents would massacre me alive if I broke this one...

valadil
2007-12-14, 10:04 AM

Not quite. I don't know about Rhapsody as I've never tried it, but if their Digital Rights Management prevents it from working on an iPod, I wouldn't use Rhapsody. I thought what you were saying was that if Rhapsody's DRM prevents it from working on an iPod you wouldn't use iPod but still use Rhapsody. I don't want DRM'ed media whereas you want a player that handles any DRM.

LCR
2007-12-14, 12:44 PM
I have an iPod classic (80GB) and the reason I bought another iPod (after I fried my old one with an eBay-bought charger), was because it is so handy to use with iTunes.
Granted, I don't really need 80 gigs, but the Nano was too small.
I'd also love to put all my Blackadder and Flying circus episodes on it, but so far, one half hour episode took me 15 minutes to rip, which is just too much time wasted for a stressed-out med student.

Haydenhawk
2007-12-14, 05:33 PM

Yes it may be legal, but not for long. And even if it isn't legal, think about what you're doing. You are taking away money from deserving artisits.My dad is a musical artist so I know the effects of downloading free music. It's wrong whether its illegal or not

Blue_C.
2007-12-14, 06:05 PM
I've gone through two mp3 players, my original samsung device that my parents bought me, and my iPod that I got as a sales incentive from my work. I ditched the samsung because the iPod had a bigger capacity, but I do miss the radio function sometimes.

I'm thinking about picking up a new nano, but I'll have to wait until I have enough money to afford it.

thedavo
2007-12-14, 07:09 PM
i've got an 8GB nano, one of the new ones which replaced my old 8gb nano that got nicked.

i only ever use it when i'm out and about, i've spent way too much money on my hi-fi to use it as my source of music at home.

and i don't agree with paying for mp3s (before you all yell at me, i own about 600 cds and 250 LPs).

Gorbash Kazdar
2007-12-15, 09:05 PM
My understanding is that Ruckus works somewhat like other subscription services - the new Napster or Rhapsody, for example. There's a limited selection of free material available, but to get access to most of the music and/or unlimited downloads, you pay a monthly fee. Ruckus is unique in that it's partnering with universities directly and specifically. In other words, the universities are just paying some agreed rate to the providers to give their students free access (and faculty/family a reduced rate). So, it's not so much free as it is a service paid for by the institution and offered to their students at no additional cost, as part of the tuition or activities fees paid to the school already.

Zune has a subscription service, which remains the deciding factor for my mp3 device purchases - I like these services a lot, and iTunes hasn't offered one to date. If they do, that would go a long way towards my considering an iPod for my next device purchase.

You are now my new best friend! :smallwink:

Also, off topic, can you burn DVDs you own directly to a Zune (Via computer), or do you need to go through all the illegal downloarding, ripping, converting, burning crap?
Yes, you should be able to rip directly through the Zune software to get it into your collection and onto the device.

Midnighter1021
2007-12-17, 12:52 AM
I love my new Ipod, my aunt owned me a big present because she forgot last year so she went and bought me the 160 gig Ipod Classic and i love it, being film student it really helps me out alot and plus i will never fill it up :smallbiggrin:

Foeofthelance
2007-12-17, 01:00 AM
See, I don't pay a cent to download either. I cheat and buy CDs. I know, I know, I'm terribly old fashioned. But at least I can listen to them when I take a shower!

As for my Ipod, I only got it because my mother gave it to me for my birthday after winning it in a raffle. (Which also explains why it has New York State Union of Teachers stamped on the back.) So far it has done good, despite many drops. When it dies, I shall ax iTunes from my laptop as well, for Apple has sealed pacts with demons and devils alike, and refuses to let me transfer any of my mpegs to watch.

Argent
2007-12-17, 05:02 PM
I've gone through two mp3 players, my original samsung device that my parents bought me, and my iPod that I got as a sales incentive from my work. I ditched the samsung because the iPod had a bigger capacity, but I do miss the radio function sometimes.

I switched over to an iPod about a year ago and thought I'd miss the radio function -- I do occasionally, but not too often. (Most of my radio listening is AM for sports talk anyhow, and I don't know of any mp3 players that have an AM tuner. So I just download most of the relevant podcasts and listen to 'em whenever.)

At first, I didn't want an iPod because I didn't want to be Just Like Everyone Else... but I've become a fan. I like the interface and I like iTunes... I just wish that the iPod grokked Windows File Explorer better.

Emrylon
2007-12-17, 05:19 PM
I have a 2gb Nano. Had it for over a year now and I really like it. I have had no problems at all. I went to upgrade to a bigger memory after christmas, 80gb or so.

Mr. Mud
2007-12-17, 06:18 PM
80 Gigs? What in the world could you do with 80 Gigs, mate? I'd go to 30 gigs or 60 gigs atleast. :smalleek: Thats just me though. You might actually need that mcuh :smallbiggrin:

This reminds me of a story about a friend of mine who si a music editor of Universal. On his Computers ('bout 11 external Drives) he has 2.2 terrabytes. For those for you who don't know what a terrabyte is, it is what the military uses. Its a few years of playback time... :smalleek:

BrokenButterfly
2007-12-18, 09:53 AM
For a long time I didn't really want an iPod (purely because everyone had one I think) although I liked the clear interface of the machine, and the scrolly-wheel of selection it has.

So two Christmases ago I got the Sony Walkman Mp3 player, which I really liked. Apparantly the system for uploading music was a bit too complicated but I didn't use it (I didn't have the right PC facilities at the time, so a friend of mine uploaded my music for me). Unfortunately it got stolen in the summer, so I was back to being Mp3-less for a while.

I got an iPod (Classic 80G) late last month as a present (but not for Christmas) so I've been messing around with it for a while now. I'm very pleased with it, I found the software and burning/uploading process with iTunes to be a lot smoother and straight forward than I expected. All in all, I'm very pleased with my iPod, even if everyone else does seem to have one...

valadil
2007-12-18, 11:44 AM
80 Gigs? What in the world could you do with 80 Gigs, mate? I'd go to 30 gigs or 60 gigs atleast. :smalleek: Thats just me though. You might actually need that mcuh :smallbiggrin:

This reminds me of a story about a friend of mine who si a music editor of Universal. On his Computers ('bout 11 external Drives) he has 2.2 terrabytes. For those for you who don't know what a terrabyte is, it is what the military uses. Its a few years of playback time... :smalleek:

To be more specific, a terabyte is 1000 gigabytes. I've had a 1.1 TB raid in my comp for almost a year now and I think you can even get a TB in a single disk if you have the cash for it. Still a ton of music though. Probably 150K songs or so.

Mr. Mud
2007-12-18, 12:45 PM
Yeah... 150k songs.... thats liek a whole freaking Mac Store!!

valadil
2007-12-18, 03:27 PM
Yeah... 150k songs.... thats liek a whole freaking Mac Store!!

According to their site, the apple store has 6million songs ... so 40 TB. Dayamn. And that's not even counting for however many formats they store it all in.