PDA

View Full Version : Carrion Crown Recruitment

Inspectre
2023-12-29, 10:02 PM
Theme Music! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPZmjNVxY1M)

In the backwater town of Ravengro, a funeral for Professor Petros Lorrimor is about to begin. While a common event in the grim lands of Ustalav, the strands of Fate that bring a disparate group of strangers together to honor the professor’s memory begin to weave and twist into a far grander pattern. It is within this pattern that the fate of Ravengro, Ustalav, and possibly even the world itself shall be decided.

Howdy folks! I’ll be running the Carrion Crown Adventure Path on these boards for a duo of forum posters, and we’re looking for a few more people to join up to fill out the ranks into a full party. If that’s something that might interest you, read on to the Big Sixteen!

Final selections will be made on Sunday, January 28th– please try to have your characters finished and submitted by then if you wish to be selected!

The standardized answer form that we’ve all come to know and love:

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

Pathfinder D&D – the Carrion Crown Adventure Path, with some detours by me.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

Fairly bog standard Pathfinder – the stuff on the Pathfinder SRD that has been released by Paizo is all fair game. At this point I am not interested in any third-party material, homebrew, or gestalt characters - sorry.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

At least 2-3 more, and for the right set of characters I could go up to 4 to bring the party total up to six.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

Play-by-post, right here on the GiTP forums. We will also have a Discord channel for OOC communication.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

1st level. We will be using milestone leveling rather than keeping track of XP.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

Maximum starting wealth for your class.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

Any class released by Pathfinder is fine, although any type of arcane caster, ranged, or beefy tank would probably be most welcome by the current party of oracle/paladin, and dirge bard

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

Any of the standard core races are fine. Any race that is worth 12 RP or less is fine, although again, no homebrewed races please. Willing to consider races that are above 12 RP on a case-by-case basis.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

20 point buy, Maximum HP at first level. HP thereafter will be determined by either taking the average, rounded up (i.e. 4.5 becomes 5), or by rolling for it but you MUST accept the results of the die roll (even if it comes up a 1).

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

No Evil.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

Standard Pathfinder multiclassing.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

Rolls will either be using the forum die roller, or on Discord.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Mostly bog standard Pathfinder, with a modified Hero Points system from the Carrion Crown Player’s Guide bolted on.
The basic jist is that each player will get three Harrow cards for each “book” of the adventure path, and may spend 1 card as desired to get a bonus (dependent on the suit and/or alignment of the card), or 1 card to avoid otherwise fatal damage.

You may pick up to two disadvantages to gain up to two additional traits. One of your 2-4 traits must be a Carrion Crown background trait from the player’s guide, explaining how you knew Professor Lorrimor.
We will also be using background skills.
Feats remain bog-standard Pathfinder.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

A character background of modest size is requested, including how your character met Professor Petros Lorrimore (please choose one regular trait and one trait from the list of adventure path traits from the Carrion Crown player’s guide).

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

I expect there to be a mix of all of the above. There are a number of mysteries the PCs will be confronted with that will require investigation, research, and interrogating/interviewing people in order to unravel. Carrion Crown is also a horror adventure path, and so while punching the monster in the face until it goes away is a valid tactic, running away or finding a clever way to circumvent problems is likely to be a wiser course of action.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

Again, no homebrew, psionics, playtest, or homebrew material. Anything else that’s on the Pathfinder SRD should be fair game though.

Darius Vibrtrar
2023-12-29, 10:45 PM
Oooooh! My chance to build a life/positive energy kineticist!

I will work on this

Rilem
2023-12-29, 11:31 PM
Interested, will work on Sacrament Alchemist

razorfloss
2023-12-30, 12:45 AM
Never played CC so have no idea what class to play but I am posting interest. Maybe inquisitor or something I never played before the omdura?

Zero Prime
2023-12-30, 07:49 AM
I'd be interested in trying a Magus. I'm much more familiar with 2e,but I'd give this a shot!

DarkOne-Rob
2023-12-30, 08:35 AM
The two original (and returning) PCs are my Paladin (will become an Oradin frontline-healer) and my brother (FarmerBink) returning as a support PC of some kind (his character has changed over the years).

Just FYI.

Spore
2023-12-30, 08:37 AM
How fast will levelling be done and how "long" are the adventuring days? I want to take a crack at an arcane spellcaster, but months of waiting for three spell slots is gonna be awful to play. As would be waiting for a year to reach 3rd level.

DarkNetwerk
2023-12-30, 09:14 AM
Color me interested. I'll be looking at a Rogue, perhaps, or maybe a Barbarian.

Questions on builds (not that I'd necessarily use them but want to know options):
- Can we stack archetypes (where they do not impact the same class feature)?
- Do you allow Variant Multiclassing?
- Do you allow Unchained class variants?

Gyrfalcon
2023-12-30, 04:07 PM
Aaron Eldaval, NG Human Necromancer (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2718007) ready to try again :)

Ricka Draws
2023-12-30, 04:22 PM
Interested, I'd like to play an investigator as I love to be the gal who knows everything that can be known

Thinking about a build or theme in the vein of mister Hyde with the mutagen discovery, seems fitting for this adventure, will read the player guide anyways

Edit: Looks like I misread and believed the game was Carrion's Hill instead of carrion crown but I think the flavor is still fitting for my investigator concept

Rilem
2023-12-30, 04:51 PM
Work in progress for Alchemist Fatima (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2008571), teacher's pet trait. Skeptical, self-reliant. Suspicious of anyone who seems to get something without working for it. (Sorcerors, mystics, priests, etc.)

To: Fatima Eisen, Treyes Hall, University of Lepidstadt

Sister,

Sad news to report: Uncle Petros has died. The message arrived earlier today that he'd passed away at his home in Ravengro.

I'm not sure when you saw him last — I know he wasn't teaching as much as he used to — but I'm sure you realize how fond he was of you. You were, by far, his favorite pretend relative, he often said. (And you know, of course, that he's the only reason you're pursuing that ridiculous pseudo-art of yours instead of studying in a proper school; Petros was always the only one father would listen to, even in the old days.)

Ordinarily we'd all go to pay our respects, but Lisl's expecting any day now. But you should put in an appearance. Don't do anything weird.

Yours,

Drahl

Zero Prime
2023-12-30, 08:07 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/3RXVW8HH/Warrior-Maiden.jpg
Lady Alexanna Vidivicci, dispossessed Countess (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2866393)
AC: 15 | FF: 14 | TOUCH: 11 | HP: 10 | Current: 10
Fortitude: +4 | Reflex: +1 | Will: +2 | Perception: +5
Magus Spell Slots: 1st: 1/1
Active Effects: None.
Conditions: None.Lady Alexanna Vidivicci is a young woman of distinguished, Taldane, features, straight nose with a high bridge, almond shaped eyes, high cheek bones, a narrow jaw, and plump lips, though they are rarely upturned in anything, even remotely, resembling a smile. Porcelain skin, cheeks blushed with rouge, lips colored with deep plum ochres, a diadem of silver wire holding her hair back from her narrow, pointed face. However, she stands near, a head, taller than most other women of Court, she accentuates this with heeled shoes, gowns which incorporate vertical patterns, causing a viewer's eyes to look her stature up and down, layered shawls, cloaks, to add texture and depth to her figure. Alexanna prefers her family's colors, a mixture of deep, velvet, black, silver, and burgundy, the color of dried blood.

However, when not dressed for Court, she prefers functional garb, high riding boots, sturdy breeches, simple blouse, a padded undercoat and a shirt of mail, over which sits a tabard incorporating the Vidivicci family crest. A lonely tower wreathed in thorn laden vines under a crescent moon, and underneath the motto: per sapientiam et potentiam, victoriam in old Taldane. Through wisdom and power, victory. Trained in swordsmanship by her older brother, Quintus, she carries a blade, his blade, that is as wide at the hilt as her own thigh, it's dark wrought, barbed hilt, iron, steel, and inlaid ebony, conceals a singular lidded eye, that remains closed. Family records show the blade was wielded by Ordo Vidivicci, lost in the battle against the Whispering Tyrant's forces when Virlych fell, recovered during the Shining Crusade some centuries later. The family motto inscribed with a copper alloy, that catches light like a setting sun, is engraved down the length of the thick, vicious, blade.

Alexanna Vidivicci, shaped by the intricate dance of politics and loneliness within the walls of Vigil, embodies a resilient spirit veiled in caution and shrewdness. Her upbringing, marred by the conniving schemes of her father, Lord Drakus III, instilled a profound wariness, prompting her to navigate relationships with a discerning eye. Yet, beneath the veneer of distrust lies a yearning for familial restoration and a legacy befitting the Vidivicci name, propelling her to confront the echoes of the Whispering Tyrant.

In her academic pursuits at Lepidstadt University under the tutelage of Professor Lorrimor, Alexanna's sharp intellect thrived. Escaping the political clutches of her father, she discovered a passion for arcane studies, merging martial prowess and spellcasting. This journey, guided by Lorrimor's wisdom, unveiled a multifaceted persona—a tenacious magus with a thirst for knowledge and a longing to reclaim her family's lost glory. Fueled by this ambition and armed with a long-lost blade recovered from the shadows of Gallowspire, Alexanna embarked on a path that intertwined academic pursuit, arcane mastery, and a relentless quest to confront the lingering shadows of Ustalav's history.

Born within the concentric walls of Vigil in Lastwall, where the Vidivicci family had long held sway, Alexanna's father, Lord Drakus III, ruled in absentia, managing the Low Courts of Vigil after losing the family's ancestral lands millennia ago. A cunning patriarch, Drakus fiercely contended with rival Houses, employing schemes and political maneuvering to maintain the remnants of his House's wealth and status. Driven by unrelenting ambition, his thirst for power had driven a wedge between him and his children. Alexanna's older brother, Quintus, left to join the Knights of Ozem, leaving her to rebel against her father's strict ambitions.

Her childhood, marked by loneliness, forced Alexanna to be cautious and distrustful, as her father's various schemes created a sense of isolation. Few true allies existed among the family's staff and servants, teaching her early on that supposed friends could become foes in the blink of an eye. Pressure to strategically marry for the family's survival added an extra layer of stress to her complex life.

Encountering Professor Petros Lorrimor at Lepidstadt University, Alexanna's sharp intellect impressed him. Recognizing her potential, Lorrimor encouraged her to pursue academic life, providing an escape from her father's politics. Under Lorrimor's mentorship, she embraced arcane studies, yet a deep-seated yearning for her family's lost glory fueled her ambition to reclaim ancestral lands and titles taken by the Whispering Tyrant.

Despite the harsh upbringing, her relationship with Lorrimor evolved into an apprenticeship, guiding her scholarly pursuits and magical studies. As Lorrimor retired, Alexanna, armed with an heirloom blade from her brother Quintus, continued his work traveling Ustalav, confronting those corrupted by Tar-Baphon's touch. In this pursuit, she aimed to ensure her legacy and reclaim her home in a manner befitting the Vidivicci name.In Brief: The first born daughter of a noble family who formerly ruled from Virlych. She vowed to restore her family to glory and attended Lepidstadt where she studied the history of Ustalav and the fall of Virholdt & Grodlych counties. The return of Tar-Baphon was intrinsically tied to the history of Virlych and so her studies brought her to the attention of Petros Lorrimor.

She carries a blade, a family heirloom, that has been with the Vidivicci family since the fall of Virlych to Tar-Baphon, it is imbued with dark, possibly corrupting, necromatic energies (Bladebound Archetype), and her family, now landless nobles living on the influence they once held, and the network of neighboring aristocrats who supported them, often calls on their daughter to perform tasks that can keep them in favor, and in Ustalav's courts of power.

Traits: Magical Lineage; Seeker & Teacher's Pet
Flaws: Family Ties (Vidivicci)

ngilop
2023-12-31, 03:50 AM
Here is Sulel'i (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=1868111) Pronounced Soo-lel-eye.

Come to apologize and make good on what Professor Lorrimor saw in his potential.

Inspectre
2023-12-31, 06:19 PM
Darius Vibrtar - Interested in seeing it! Just keep him away from Farmerbink's character, who I believe will still be a dhampir, even if his class changes. :smallbiggrin:

Rilem - Hrrm, God-in-a-can, eh? Should be something new for me to DM for.

razorfloss - Inquisitors can be a lot of fun, and there's certainly plenty of religious orders in the rough region of Golarion that could have wandering followers dispatching evil and keeping Ustalav from getting too much worse (ones that immediately come to mind are Pharasma, as she's a major god in the region, and Iomedae given the proximity of Mendev and Iomedae's own personal history in Ustalav. But certainly you could justify any god really, since your character can be from across the world if you wish, and ran into Professor Lorrimor during his own travels across Golarion.

Zero Prime - Magus can be a lot of fun, regardless of which specific archetype you use. Although I would stay away from large two-handed weapons - don't think I've seen a variant yet that can really make use of the magus's key "sword plus spell!" ability with a two-handed weapon. But then, there may be some new archetype out there that can - I know there's a cool dual-wielding variant that can do it, having played one in a game on these boards years ago. Liking what I see so far from the character bio - this DM always loves it when the player comes up with their own ways to be screwed over (i.e. maybe cursed/bad-guy blackblade, family obligations & ties) :smallamused:

DarkOne-Rob - Glad to have Kristoph returning, and hopefully your brother will be able to narrow down what he wants more quickly than last time! :smallbiggrin: But I'm happy to work with him through whatever he wants to change this time if he decides he wasn't really digging Dirge Bard.

Spore - Yeah, you definitely have my sympathies there, although with this being a play-by-post game and my own unfortunately haphazard update schedule due to RL considerations, I'm suspecting that this will be a slower-than-average game compared to some pbp games that just blaze through an AP. As such, if waiting a long time to level up if going to be a (totally understandable) deal breaker for you, I will probably have to advise you to not play an arcane caster or look elsewhere. That being said, I'm certainly willing to try and work with you if you still want to play an arcane caster, to ensure that you don't get to just cast your 1-3 spells for a day and then be down to crossbow monkey (maybe add some extra scrolls into the loot for more spellcasting consumables or something). Not sure that they are much better than a wizard/sorcerer at low levels, but I know occultist and arcanist can eventually get some more things to do in combat than just "I cast my one spell/day, and then I'm out of things I can contribute".

DarkNetwerk - Let's see - so long as they don't alter the same class feature, you can stack multiple archetypes. Depending on how exactly the two archetypes change a given class ability, I *may* be willing to work with you if there's two archetypes that make modifications to the same ability but the changes aren't mutually exclusive to each other - but you'd have to really sell me on the combination, so I would indeed recommend avoiding overlap in changes.

I haven't seen Variant Multiclassing in action yet, so while I am willing to see what you put together with that this would be the most leery of the three questions for me. For now put this down as a "hesitant yes".

Yes, I will allow Unchained versions of various classes.

Gyrfalcon - Oh hello! Welcome back! I guess we have three returning characters, then, instead of two. :smallsmile:

Ricka Draws - Given the five-second synopsis of Carrion Crown is "monster movie of the week/AP book", I would say that a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde character would fit in, yes. :smallsmile:

Rilem - Ooo, another alchemist. Those are always fun - I could see her getting along with other studious members of what is shaping up to be a (mostly) arcane-focused party.

ngilop - Hrm, "Fire, fire, fire!" the PC, with some interesting potential dichotomies in their personality - (chooses physical work despite arcane power, driven by both past guilt and inspired by the Professor).

DarkOne-Rob
2023-12-31, 06:28 PM
I should link Kristoph (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2710882) for others to reference. @Inspectre - were there any changes to character creation from last time? Or did you copy-paste?

Inspectre
2023-12-31, 08:14 PM
Should be the same as last time unless we made changes after the recruitment was over - the Big Sixteen is a copy+paste from the previous recruitment last time.

Spore
2024-01-01, 06:11 AM
I should link Kristoph (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2710882) for others to reference. @Inspectre - were there any changes to character creation from last time? Or did you copy-paste?

So the Paladin is not actually meant as a first frontliner. That changes things regarding my character.

Zero Prime
2024-01-01, 06:17 AM
Zero Prime - Magus can be a lot of fun, regardless of which specific archetype you use. Although I would stay away from large two-handed weapons - don't think I've seen a variant yet that can really make use of the magus's key "sword plus spell!" ability with a two-handed weapon. But then, there may be some new archetype out there that can - I know there's a cool dual-wielding variant that can do it, having played one in a game on these boards years ago. Liking what I see so far from the character bio - this DM always loves it when the player comes up with their own ways to be screwed over (i.e. maybe cursed/bad-guy blackblade, family obligations & ties) :smallamused:

Everything I have read about Magus says: Go Scimitar for Keen + Shocking Grasp ... but I am a visual guy and that picture spoke to me, both about the Bladebound aspect of the character, about a decadent, maybe distant family clutching at power ... and about a big honking sword. So Bastard sword is the biggest 1 Handed sword I can find ... the build isn't meant to be 2H. If I am reading 1E rules right, the bastard sword will still be hitting d10+4 in one hand, so that's decent. At low levels, Arcane Pool can make up for lack of BaB ... and I will grab Weapon Focus when I can ... so there's that ...

As for adding complications and drama to a character ... I have always been that guy ... I am glad to know that you are the type of GM to plumb the story when I hand you a hook like an Intelligent weapon and I am excited to see where you would run with it.

DarkOne-Rob
2024-01-01, 11:09 AM
So the Paladin is not actually meant as a first frontliner. That changes things regarding my character.
Oh, he is - frontline and Oradin. Sword and board, high hitpoints, high healing, trying to protect the rest of the party.

At level 1-2 he will be a Paladin 100%. At level 3 he goes into Oracle, but that is never a big part of the design. He will - if we ever get there - go into Holy Vindicator (https://www.aonprd.com/PrestigeClassesDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Holy%20Vindic ator) at higher levels.

That help clarify intentions? Another front line melee combatant will be welcome (and probably help), as will more supplemental healing, especially at low levels when Kristoph can't heal others well.

Darius Vibrtrar
2024-01-01, 11:12 AM
Healing Kineticist has your back!

Inspectre
2024-01-01, 11:57 AM
Spore - Having another frontliner would be good, as Rob says, particularly with larger parties as it means I can have multiple fronts/split party encounters without having to worry too much about the party crumbling when an attack from the rear folds all the squishy casters (that's for the teleporting enemies to do :xykon: )

Zero Prime - Yeah, bastard sword is what I tend to default to as well, which has the added benefit of easily being held in two-hands when you aren't planning on casting spells in a given turn.

Spore
2024-01-01, 12:19 PM
Oh, he is - frontline and Oradin. Sword and board, high hitpoints, high healing, trying to protect the rest of the party.

At level 1-2 he will be a Paladin 100%. At level 3 he goes into Oracle, but that is never a big part of the design. He will - if we ever get there - go into Holy Vindicator (https://www.aonprd.com/PrestigeClassesDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Holy%20Vindic ator) at higher levels.

That help clarify intentions? Another front line melee combatant will be welcome (and probably help), as will more supplemental healing, especially at low levels when Kristoph can't heal others well.

I am just kinda confused why you go Cha over Strength then. It is your character and I don't want to backseat game, but Cha over Str feels like you favor defense over offense.

Infernally Clay
2024-01-01, 01:00 PM
You mention that races over 12 RP would be allowed on a case by case basis, so would Tiefling be acceptable? I was thinking a Tiefling Witch of Fate.

Reading the player's guide for this campaign, I quite liked the idea of the Chance Saviour campaign trait. Witches are often rural healers in Ustalav, travelling between remote villages and outposts, and the idea that Lorrimor got himself into some sort of trouble quite off the beaten track and my character just happened to be nearby and able to help fits nicely with the theme of fate.

DarkOne-Rob
2024-01-01, 01:34 PM
I am just kinda confused why you go Cha over Strength then. It is your character and I don't want to backseat game, but Cha over Str feels like you favor defense over offense.
He’s not a big damage dealer - he’s a frontline tank/healer. The Charisma will serve him longer and better (assuming he lives that long).

Inspectre
2024-01-01, 02:22 PM
Spore - As Rob said - I believe the intent is indeed more defense than offense, and for Kristoph to be more of a "lead from the front" inspirational speaker paladin, rather than a "smite evil's face off" paladin.

Infernally Clay - Tiefling would absolutely be acceptable, although some superstitious NPCs will likely shun her (as they would shun half-orcs or anything too far away from bog standard human). That being said, while the populace of Ustalav tends to be afraid of anything different due to superstition and their own personal experiences with things going bump in the night, they are unlikely to be outright hostile and murderous to anyone until they're given cause. Mostly I just set the limit at 12 RP to limit the number of say, Androids or Drow Nobles showing up.

I like the idea of Chance Savior as well! Lorrimor definitely could have gotten mixed up in something nasty that left him poisoned in the wilderness, and since he was a wizard, fixing such things would have been beyond him.

Darius Vibrtrar
2024-01-01, 02:41 PM
Wood Kineticist (https://og.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2866559)

Not having access to the Path of War kineticist feats is a bummer but ill find a way.

Jared Joon was on The professors payroll, not only as a psuedo druid, but as a healer, and nature information broker. Jared comes from a quizzical bloodline, his family came from another country, and there are rumors of his ancestors mixing thier bloodlines with fey and ogre magi in order to gain an magical element for the family, and it has come true in Jared. A Kineticist of the element of wood. He has chosen for himself, that he should not consume anything that he can talk to at any point, via Magic or otherwise. He will not eat the flesh of people, or animals, or even plants. But he is fine eating things that come from these sources. Grain is not a plant, it comes from a plant, Fruit is not a plant, it comes from a plant. Same for Milk and Eggs, they are not animals, but come from animals. It is in this way he brings a balance and how he believes the source of his powers is held.
Having heard the professor died, he at once came to pay his respects.

Will finish equipment tomorrow

Spore
2024-01-01, 11:18 PM
You mention that races over 12 RP would be allowed on a case by case basis, so would Tiefling be acceptable? I was thinking a Tiefling Witch of Fate.

Oh I plan on playing a Ratfolk, so we can share in xenophobia!

Jokes aside if I do you allow a Dire Rat (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/rat/dire-rat/https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/rat/dire-rat/) sized up to medium (+2 Str, -2 Dex, d6 bite, probably no disease) as a mount if I were to pick a mounted class?

As per PathfinderWiki (https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Ysoki) they are supposed to ride rats in lore, so it is possible I just have the wrong bestiary entry.

u-b
2024-01-02, 07:49 AM
Okay, this is another Carrion Crown game and I will again apply with Ebert Malkovich the Summoner. Not that we got anywhere much past day one whenever I got to play this, so I have no knowledge of the AP.

Checking the following stuff ahead of time:
1. Vanilla Summoner (with no archetypes).
2. Reckon eidolon build like this one (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=402007).
3. Pets bought with money like this guy (https://aonprd.com/MonsterDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Leopard) bought this way (https://aonprd.com/EquipmentMiscDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Leopard) and self-trained. Note that this particular proposal is not PFS-legal in case you use that as a reference.

Generally, the plan is to have a reckon eidolon and a fighting pet bought with money, but I can go with just eidolon, either reckon or fighting one, depending on people's preferences.

Inspectre
2024-01-03, 09:58 PM
Darius Vibrtar - Seems like your kineticist is coming along - an interesting choice in diet, so that's a bit of nice color although I'm more curious about his family now. Have they moved to Ustalav, or are they still living in [insert home country here], and Jared is merely here on "vacation", so to say, to pay his last respects to Lorrimor? Just wondering if they are in a position to play any sort of role going forward or if this is just background exposition on how Jared has his powers, and there's no intention to ruminate on that portion of the background further.

Spore - A rat . . . riding a rat? :smallsigh: I can see the long slide from grimdark into traveling circus now, and I have to say that I'm here for it. :smallbiggrin: That sounds hilarious to me, go for it! I don't know if a rat will really make for a particularly good mount, but it's not like there's far weirder things people can ride into battle in D&D.

u-b - The leopard at level 1 does seem a little overpowered to me, but that's because cats are absurd in D&D. I'm alright with things not being fully PFS legal here, particularly since I'm going to be deviating from the AP's script liberally at times anyway. There are a few issues that I can see going forward for Mr. Leopard:

There is always the possibility that the leopard takes an unlucky crit from something nasty and just dies immediately, leaving your character out of a sizable chunk of money. Better than a PC eating that crit, I suppose, but there will probably not be a "dangerous wild animal" trader in town that will be able to provide a replacement leopard (or similar big animal).
Even if it doesn't die, the leopard will eventually fall off in power, since unless your summoner has some way of getting animal companion features, it's going to stay a CR 2 critter forever. Of course you can always try to buy a newer, bigger, animal later on, but there are logistical challenges there and I'm not sure "buying a bigger animal" will scale particularly well past the first couple levels. Course, by then, your summoner can just whistle up 10,000 summon monsters instead.
While I don't intend on pulling some DM BS here and having your trained animal be a jerk and make a mess of things without you ordering it, neither am I going to allow "super intelligent animal comes and just happens to save the day" scenarios with this one - much like a hireling, rather than an animal companion or sacred mount, there are sharp limits to what this thing will and won't be able to do. In other words, you will need to use the standard training animals tricks list, so "Attack", "Guard", etc. which I believe is a Move action in combat to order for it to do something.
Obviously, things change a bit if you do take levels in an animal companion class, and it becomes an animal companion rather than just a pet.

Alhallor
2024-01-04, 04:52 AM
I'm throwing my hat in with Duncan. (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2867198) Ranger and thrown weapon specialist.

u-b
2024-01-04, 05:15 AM
Ebert Malkovich (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=391470) is mostly complete, but I might still tune a few things or maybe expand the background.

Regarding leopard issues: power-wise, I would have been perfectly fine having a riding dog, just could not cram it into the build along with a warhorse as it is for some reason more expensive than a full-fledged hunting cat. Having it along is not a long-term strategy and I would be able to summon suchlikes by level 5, so that's well and good. Perfectly fine with any and all risks involved. I'm teaching it the "Defend" trick, which would be automatic as probably also following attacks on some "apparent enemies", but yeah, move-action commands. Right now, no plans to make it an animal companion.

P.S. Fluff done too.

Darius Vibrtrar
2024-01-04, 08:41 AM
I think a good reason for Jared to have come to ustalav is the death of his father. His mother brought him here looking for economic opportunities. Once old enough he was able to gain employment with the professor. Mother relocated to a relatively good location nearby as an herbalist, gathering materials and making remedies. The professor dies while Jared is on a short leave to help mother with a seasonal gathering event. He returns to pay his respects and say goodbye.

Mother is still alive and a functioning herbalist, not unlike Jared, she's more of a nature oracle than a druid or shaman in terms of sources of power, not that she was an adventurer.

Jared is willing to move about the country, with intentions to return or keep tabs on his mother's well being. Mother is around to contribute to the story as needed.

Farmerbink
2024-01-05, 02:05 PM
Oooooh! My chance to build a life/positive energy kineticist!

I will work on this

Please, no! :smalleek:

Darius Vibrtar - Interested in seeing it! Just keep him away from Farmerbink's character, who I believe will still be a dhampir, even if his class changes. :smallbiggrin:

Indeed, sorry I'm late to the show, but someone failed to actually *tell me* that we were getting this going again. :smallconfused: Elian has to be a Dhampir. If he's not a Dhampir, he's not Elian. XD

DarkOne-Rob - Glad to have Kristoph returning, and hopefully your brother will be able to narrow down what he wants more quickly than last time! :smallbiggrin: But I'm happy to work with him through whatever he wants to change this time if he decides he wasn't really digging Dirge Bard.

Good news: I kept the sheet.

Bad news: I failed to note on the sheet why on earth I was going to go dirge bard into inquisitor, and now I have no idea what Elian is actually supposed to do.

Silver lining: I KNOW who Elian is. The nature of his personality has never really been subject to change, so I just have to figure out something hopefully useful to do mechanically with all that. O_o.

Darius Vibrtrar
2024-01-05, 03:33 PM
Ooooh.

Cause I use wood healer, I'd be interested to see how it would effect a dhampir

Gyrfalcon
2024-01-05, 05:32 PM
If its positive energy, it’ll make him explode. While amusing, its probably not advised.

Darius Vibrtrar
2024-01-05, 05:42 PM
Its not exactly clear. It says I use the dice from positive energy blast, but not that the healing is positive energy, just that it heals the target

The_Snark
2024-01-05, 05:54 PM
Posting interest! It's been a long time since I was in one of Inspectre's games.

Interest as what, I'm not entirely sure yet. I was contemplating a dhampir of some sort, but if one of the current players is doing that already then probably not, it would feel weird to have two of what's meant to be a fairly rare race in the same party...

Zero Prime
2024-01-05, 06:11 PM
I will take a look and catch up on the thread, see if I can find some connections between the submissions and Alexanna. Anyways, most of the fluff is done, just need to look, a little closer, at gear and spell selection.

Also, two dhampir could work if their backstory was intrinsically linked, siblings, shared creator, something like that ...

The_Snark
2024-01-05, 06:50 PM
Also, two dhampir could work if their backstory was intrinsically linked, siblings, shared creator, something like that ...

That's true; I assume Elian already has some degree of backstory, though, being one of the returning characters from the first game. If the player is up for it then I'd be happy to work something out, but if not then it's no big loss - I really didn't have anything more detailed than "dhampir maybe?" in mind yet.

Farmerbink
2024-01-05, 09:58 PM

Part of the idea of my (real-life) brother and I's characters is that they are half-brothers- from the non-vampire side, of course. It would be quite complicated to roll another Dhampir into that relationship, but reasonable enough to have made a friend/bond with another monster-by-default. Our party would be the specialist of snowflakes. but wit the right story I'm not opposed. Inspectre might be, but *shrugs*

Farmerbink
2024-01-05, 11:27 PM
So good news: I have a build plan in mind for you guys to avoid O_o

I'll be an undead bloodline illusionist sorcerer. Obviously, there will be a handful of non-illusion, non-necromancy spells, but we're going primarily BFC/debuffing with illusion and necromancy as the primary vehicles therein. :-D

Inspectre
2024-01-06, 09:05 PM
Alright, let's see if we can put together a list of all potential applicants who have a sheet to show for their character, whether finished or not.

Our returning (recurring?) characters for the game:

DarkOne-Rob
Kristoph
Half-Elf
Oradin

Farmerbink
Elian
Dhampir
Undead Bloodline Illusion Sorceror (maybe)

Gyrfalcon
Aaron Eldaval
Human
Necromancer Wizard

Potential Recruits:

Rilem
Fatima
Half-Elf (Drow)
Sacrament Alchemist

Zero Prime
Lady Alexanna Vidivicci
Human
Blackblade Magus

ngilop
Sulel'i
Human
Sorceror

Darius Vibrtar
Jared Joon
Human (Fey Blooded)
Chiurgeon Kineticist

Alhallor
Duncan
Human
Ranger

u-b
Ebert Malkovich
Human
Summoner

Now that's out of the way, let's see . . .

Darius Vibrtar - Looking at the text for the various talents (and some Paizo board posts), the healing does technically have the element used by the kineticist. Since Wood Healing (the utility talent for Kineticist Chiurgeon) functions as the other kineticist talent for healing - aptly named "Kineticist Healer", there is a note that the healing granted by the kinetic blast does have that elemental type. It certainly could be argued that since something like Kinetic Healer (Fire) doesn't burn people that you're healing, neither should Kinetic Healing (Positive) harm negative-affinity people like Dhampir (unless Jared wants it to hurt). However, there are also arguments on the side that it should count for triggering Negative Energy Affinity, and similar vulnerabilities that are triggered by being exposed to a given element - it's just that Negative/Positive energy is the most common "allergy". Therefore, because this is somewhat of a grey area, I am going to rule on the side that it still counts as positive energy healing, and keep Elian desperate for finding a source of negative energy potions to keep himself alive (because I think this was intended to be a self-chosen problem for Elian to figure out how to solve, and I certainly wouldn't want to steal that journey from him. :smallamused: )

The_Snark - Long time no see my old friend! :smallbiggrin: Please, do come into my parlor. I've missed those days of making your character regret their very existence. :xykon:

Speaking of which, a dhampir in vampire-infested Ustalav does sound like fun (to me) - and certainly if there's anywhere in Golarion where multiple dhampirs (possibly related) are together in a group it would be here.

As for family relations, that would obviously require some buy-in from DarkOne-Rob and Farmerbink, although I would think the most obvious solution to this would be that this potential second dhampir would be related only to Elian through their mutual father (that's the vampire). I don't recall the backstory for either Kristoph or Elian delving too deeply into their family relations, but my recalled understanding is that Kristoph is the offspring of a human male and a female elf. He was found as a baby, however, and thus knows little to nothing of his birth parents - or the fact that he has a older half-brother through his elven mother. Prior to that nearly 100 years (as I believe Elian's age is 120-something, and Kristoph's is 20), Mommy Dearest got involved with a vampire, leading to Elian to being born as a dhampir. Unfortunately I don't recall any details other than that, and I suspect at least some of this backstory was left open for later exploration during the game - such as whether Vamp Dad is still around, whether he and Elf Mom are still an item (with Kristoph's dad being some sort of rebound? :smallconfused: ), etc. It's certainly possible that Elian himself doesn't know the answer to any of those questions, having gotten himself thrown out/ran away some decades ago and had little contact with either Elf Mom or Vamp Dad since.

Anyway, I don't see any particular reason why Vamp Dad couldn't have sired more than one offspring with some other lady (perhaps as his own rebound after Elf Mom left), which could have led to The_Snark's theoretical dhamphir. Or perhaps said dhampir is merely an unrelated family retainer, sent by Vamp Dad to keep an eye on Elian or perhaps the Dhampir is as clueless as everyone else and it'll be a hilarious soap opera moment when all three characters realize they're all vaguely connected through the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon Vamp Dad Count Kevin Bacon the Vampire Lord. :smallamused:

DarkOne-Rob
2024-01-06, 09:59 PM
I'm not bothered by the possibility of a third semi-brother. No guarantee he will get my vote, as I intend to wait until we are at the point of completed applications and have worked it all out, but it isn't a stopping point for me.

razorfloss
2024-01-07, 03:47 AM
Ok figured out what since I just found out it exist (Jeus Christ does pathfinder have ALOT of classes/arctypes) I would like to put my interest as a chosen one paladin. I was going to pick dhampir just because of the sheer story potential but seeing as we already have 2 I'll go for the next best thing and go Skinwalker(Bloodmarked). I'll Have a sheet up later today.

DarkOne-Rob
2024-01-07, 01:13 PM
@razorfloss - Kristoph, my PCs with a guaranteed spot, is a Paladin intending to become an Oradin, frontline/healer. Just FYI if you want to aim at something less similar to an already existing PC.

Gyrfalcon
2024-01-07, 03:45 PM
@FarmerBink - Given you want to go battlefield control and debuffing, I can take Aaron summoning/blasting to minimize overlap. He’ll still provide control vs undead (it’s a major component of being a necromancer), but leave most of the role to your character.

The_Snark
2024-01-07, 06:33 PM
I'm not bothered by the possibility of a third semi-brother. No guarantee he will get my vote, as I intend to wait until we are at the point of completed applications and have worked it all out, but it isn't a stopping point for me.

I appreciate the sentiment, but I don't feel like I have an especially compelling pitch for adding to the vampire family drama; unless I'm struck by sudden inspiration, I will probably opt for something different, give Inspectre some unrelated plot hooks to sink his claws into.

DarkNetwerk
2024-01-08, 09:22 PM
https://imgur.com/x9pXlLW.jpg

Valerija (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets//?id=2868072)
Female CG Human - Ulfen Unchained Barbarian (invuln. rager), Level 1, Init 2, HP 15/15, Speed 40
AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 16
Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 0, CMB +4
Base Attack Bonus 1
Abilities Str 16, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 13, Wis 8, Cha 12

Valerija was born in the Land of the Linnorm Kings, homeland of the Ulfen people, and a land containing a rift to the First World. Her family honored the Norns, and it was clear that Valerija bore their favor as a Triumvirate appeared at her birth, their cryptic prophecy suggesting both boons and banes. When she was still a young girl, her parents travelled to Taldor, as they had been selected to join the Ulfen Guard. They brought Valerija with them as they could continue to raise and train her in the Ulfen ways themselves.

After their year-long posting among the Guard, her family began the long return journey to their homeland, carrying as much treasure they could carry as was the normal payment for such activities. When their ship stopped in Westcrown for more supplies and some minor repairs from a storm, her family decided to visit the bustling metropolis, their child in tow. Unfortunately, they were set upon in the night by cultists of Zura, demon lord of cannibals and vampires and captured, taken away to an underground complex by the city sewer system.

While her parents were selected to become their next meal, Valerija's fate was to be different. The cultists' vampire leaders sensed her subtle connection to the First World and instead marked her for a special sacrifice, searing a brand onto her forehead. The pain was excruciating and Valerija lost consciousness. She was brought back to the cell of her parents who were waiting for a chance to escape. They were able to overpower the human cultists returning Valerija and take their weapons, preparing to sneak and fight their way out through a more discrete route they had learned of from another prisoner. While they were able to evade the bulk of the cultists, their route also took them too close to a vampire's lair. The vampire reached out of the darkness in an attempt to snatch the girl from the arms of her parents but only succeeded in clawing the poor child's face. Subtlety gone, the vampire fought against Valerija's parents, who had put her down with an order to run. She watched in horror as the vile creature became a whirlwind of terror, her parents barely able to deflect even half it's blows, their weapons seeming to do little. Finally gathering her senses, she obeyed her parent's last order and ran for her life. It wasn't long before the blood-soaked vampire had caught up, her parents obviously dead. Valerija leapt into a fast running river of sewage, the vampires claws succeeding only to further scratch her face as she floated away.

The sewage tunnel let out into Gemcrown bay outside Westcrown harbor. She was able to reach the shore before losing consciousness. Thankfully, she was discovered by some fisher folk who brought her to be treated. The story of the girl who was attacked by a vampire and escaped reached the ears of a Professor Lorrimor who happened to be in the area while on his travels. He met with the girl and formed something of a bond. He took charge of her long enough to get her passage back to her homeland and to learn all he could of her encounter.

Back in the Land of the Linnorm Kings, Valerija was taken in by some relatives who were former Ulfen Guard, in the town of Ullerskad. For the years that followed, Professor Lorrimor would often send secret messages and occasionally visit the scarred girl in Ullerskad. His messages and visits often contained information on how to overcome creatures like the one she encountered. She would drink this information as if it were ambrosia and used it as she trained, focusing her rage on the destruction of such foul creatures. The last missive from the Professor appeared to be mundane correspondence just like the others but this time, rather than another tidbit of information on the undead, the secret message contained a request, or perhaps a plea, asking for her help. She began her journey to Ravengro without question.

Learning of his untimely death on her arrival, her surprise swiftly turned to suspicion. Was it foul play? Had his letter arrived sooner, or her travel been swifter, might she have been here to prevent it?

ngilop
2024-01-08, 09:30 PM
I am going to withdraw.

Sicne 2 of the pre-selects are sorcerers (let alone arcane casters) there's no room for a 3rd.

Best of luck to everybody else :)

DarkOne-Rob
2024-01-09, 05:20 PM
I think only one pre-select is a sorcerer (Elian). My PC is going to be an Oradin - Oracle and Paladin - so no arcane spellcasting there.

That said, it's a busy time, tough to get PCs made. Good luck in your games!

Edit: Oops, I missed that Gyrefalcon was bringing a returning PC too. My bad...

Inspectre
2024-01-09, 07:05 PM
We do have a large number of arcane casters in this group between the returning characters and potentials, so I can understand deciding to bow out.
Ah well, lose a sorceror, gain a barbarian.

I will NOT be closing recruitment at this time, as we've had several other people express interest and could be part-way down with their character concepts, but I will alert the assemblage that we have definitely hit the point where I won't be able to take everyone who wants in, so there will unfortunately be an actual selection process come the end of the month (still on track for Sunday the 29th, far as I plan).

While I don't know if a modified Curse of the Crimson Throne would appeal to anyone here (and I know some have already submitted a character over there), I am also re-recruiting for a Curse of the Crimson Throne game over here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?663215-The-Crimson-Echo-(Curse-of-the-Crimson-Throne)-Re-recruitment!). Given we only have two applicants in the running for those spots at the moment, your odds would certainly be better over there right now. Although perhaps you've already taken a look and gotten a headache from the plot summary of the story thus far. :smallsmile: Nonetheless, that is also an option for boosting your chances at getting into a game, if any game will do.

DarkOne-Rob
Kristoph
Half-Elf
Oradin

Farmerbink
Elian
Dhampir

Gyrfalcon
Aaron Eldaval
Human
Necromancer Wizard

Potential Recruits:

Rilem
Fatima
Half-Elf (Drow)
Sacrament Alchemist

Zero Prime
Lady Alexanna Vidivicci
Human
Blackblade Magus

Darius Vibrtar
Jared Joon
Human (Fey Blooded)
Chiurgeon Kineticist

Alhallor
Duncan
Human
Ranger

u-b
Ebert Malkovich
Human
Summoner

DarkNetwerk
Valerija
Human (Ulfen)
Barbarian

Gyrfalcon
2024-01-10, 03:17 AM
I notice a distinct lack of skill/trap monkeys available. If FarmerBink wants to go arcane with his character, I can take Aaron down the Eldritch Scoundrel -> Arcane Trickster path. His backstory would be adjusted a little to allow it, and he'll be less distinctly necromancer, but still taking plenty from that school for maximum discomfort with the Oradin.

The_Snark
2024-01-10, 03:47 AM
I am actually planning a changeling rogue, who should be able to cover a decent portion of traditional rogue skills, although traps and lockpicking are not her specialty.

Farmerbink
2024-01-10, 02:15 PM
I can confirm that unless charming a previously existent zombie/skeleton and throwing it into a trap counts as "trap finding," Elian will not be particularly helpful with any skills-y stuff.

Narbaculus
2024-01-13, 01:19 AM
I am interested in this, though I have never played Pathfinder, much less Carrion Crown. I have played and run Lancer and D&D 5; I have also played Kids on Bikes, Monster of the Week, and WFRP 2. All I know about Pathfinder is that it's like the system OotS uses, and that I would want to use an Urgrosh. What should I do here?

Farmerbink
2024-01-13, 10:50 AM
My short answer is that Pathfinder is the spiritual successor to D&D 3.0/3.5. On a certain level, D&D 5 is very similar to the mechanics of Pathfinder. It's certainly not the same, and you may find that there are some very confusing distinctions, but much of the rules will be familiar.

I honestly don't even know what the best way to learn those rules would be at this point. Probably it would be something along the lines of getting a group to play. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Rilem
2024-01-13, 12:11 PM
I've found that play-by-post can also be a good way to learn, simply because you can research everything that comes up without slowing everybody else down too much.

This does require self-control on the learner's part, because Pathfinder rules can become an insanely deep rabbit hole. So keep things simple.

In Beezus' case, if the only fixed values are "Urgosh" and "Interest in Carrion Crown," I'd suggest two-weapon-fighting Dwarven Ranger, as ranger is relatively similar to the 5E class (though TWF is a bit different).

Or, since there's already a Ranger candidate, Slayer — it does violates my keep-it-simple rule, but not too badly. It's a ranger/rogue hybrid; you can easily find details about it in several places online.

Spore
2024-01-14, 08:24 AM
This does require self-control on the learner's part, because Pathfinder rules can become an insanely deep rabbit hole. So keep things simple.

Talk to me about it. My dream build for this game would be a Promethean Alchemist (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/archetypes/paizo-alchemist-archetypes/promethean-alchemist-alchemist-archetype/) with a Ratfolk homunculus shaped like their dead brother.

But in factual mechanical reality, the class gives up almost all of their defining features (bombs, mutagens) and only keeps extracts in exchange for a bad fighter companion that does not even have armor proficiency nor can use an actual good weapon natively. The game could give them weapon finesse and light armor proficiency and the archetype would still be bad.

Rilem
2024-01-14, 11:54 AM
It might not be mechanically what you're looking for, but Twinned Summoner, reflavoring the arcane bits for Mad Science bits, could capture the I-rebuilt-my-dead-brother vibe.

Kvard51
2024-01-15, 02:28 AM
I'm interested as a Shabti Shaman who was originally created to be the backup plan for Lorrimoor created by Lepidstadt University. But the professor released him from his bond many years ago and allowed him to "live your life as you see fit".

Spore
2024-01-16, 04:18 PM
I finally have a solution and it only took me realizing the glaringly obvious. I pick my first level in a very front-loaded combat class to have something to do during combat and exploration and invest my remaining levels in the Promethean Alchemist. I hope the DM allows me to transport an unanimated clay puppet/raw clay golem and prepurchase a formulae book because I doubt I will have access to such things in Ravengro.

Here is the crunch sheet to be at least considered. You can call the character Daedalus for now. Aiming for a secondary melee - and later on a support/skill role: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2866676

Inspectre
2024-01-17, 08:51 PM
Beezus - So, having played some tabletop games before, there probably isn't anything too far out there that you will find in Pathfinder, although it is probably the closest(ish) to 5E D&D of course, as Pathfinder was a split off of D&D 3.5 (more or less). I would say that finding a play-by-post game is probably the easier way to start, particularly if you can get into a newbie friendly game that starts at level 1 and doesn't focus on high-power builds. For making a character for this game specifically, I would probably start by going here (https://paizo.com/products/btpy8j0q), downloading the player's guide for the Carrion Crown AP, and giving it a quick read through to give you some more ideas on what sort of character you want to play as (beyond "wields an urgrosh"). I will note that you will need to create a Paizo account in order to download the file (I believe), but it is free.

Kvard51 - Interesting character concept. Does this shabti resemble Lorrimor? Because I could certainly see that getting . . . awkward around the small town of Ravengro where the AP starts. :smallamused:

Spore - Sure, I'm willing to help support this idea a little bit by saying that your ratfolk could be taking some advanced studies in preparation for eventually bringing his dead brother back. Although don't think I won't make a whole lot of "This is getting out of hand. Now there are TWO of them!" Star Wars jokes. :smallbiggrin:

All - Something I did forget to mention in the introductory write-up (my sincere bad on this one!), is that I see I failed to mention that, prior to your character's arrival in Ravengro, you think Professor Lorrimor is actually still alive, as he sent for you to come visit him in Ravengro (with a secret message in his letter implying "I need you to come here and help me", rather than "let's hang out"). When your character gets to Ravengro at the very start of the game, of course, you learn that he's tragically had a little "accident" and is now dead. Cue funeral followed by potential PC investigation of said "accidental" death. It's a relatively small detail in the grand scheme of things, but I can see how it may impact your character's motivations and initial actions on coming to Ravengro with the intention of helping the Professor, for whatever reason, only to learn that he's now actually dead under somewhat mysterious circumstances, and his funeral is in a couple hours.

Rilem
2024-01-18, 12:39 AM
Aha, thanks! I'll adjust Fatima's letter to adjust for "alive" professor.

Inspectre
2024-01-20, 09:33 PM
All Just Posting an official one week warning until character selection! I know we have some people out there who have posted interest or suggested a character without actually providing a sheet as yet! But if you don't have a character sheet finished by next Sunday, January 28th, then I am afraid you cannot be considered for the game! List of characters who have submitted full sheets are listed below!

DarkOne-Rob
Kristoph
Half-Elf
Oradin

Farmerbink
Elian
Dhampir

Gyrfalcon
Aaron Eldaval
Human
Necromancer Wizard

Potential Recruits:

Rilem
Fatima
Half-Elf (Drow)
Sacrament Alchemist

Zero Prime
Lady Alexanna Vidivicci
Human
Blackblade Magus

Darius Vibrtar
Jared Joon
Human (Fey Blooded)
Chiurgeon Kineticist

Alhallor
Duncan
Human
Ranger

u-b
Ebert Malkovich
Human
Summoner

DarkNetwerk
Valerija
Human (Ulfen)
Barbarian

Rilem
2024-01-23, 09:16 PM
Wrapping up Fatima

To: Fatima Eisen, Treyes Hall, University of Lepidstadt

Sister,

Peculiar news: I received a letter today, addressed to you, from Uncle Petros.

Forgive me for reading it; it hadn't been sealed but was rather slipped under the doorway; I know not by whom. Nor am I sure why the professor sought you here, rather than at Lepidstadt, unless he thought you'd be back for the summer.

I'm not sure when you saw him last — I know he wasn't teaching as much as he used to — but I'm sure you realize how fond he was of you. You were, by far, his favorite pretend relative, he often said. (And you know, of course, that he's the only reason you're pursuing that ridiculous pseudo-art of yours instead of studying in a proper school; Petros was always the only one father would listen to, even in the old days.)

Yours,

Tima

—-

To: Drahl Eisen, Maiden’s Choir, Caliphas

Drahl,

Thanks for sending the letter on. Peculiar indeed; I’ve re-read it perhaps a dozen times and it scarcely seems like Petros at all. His tone is nervous, his script almost slapdash.

If not for the handwriting, and the references to mother’s pumpkin pudding, I’d have thought it was written by someone else entirely. Has he been ill, do you know?

I think it might be worth a visit to Ravengrow to see what's troubling him. I’d suggest you come as well, but Lisl should be expecting any day now, yes?

Will let you know what I find.

Yours,

Drahl

The birth of Tima, into a family that lived and hunted in northeastern Ustalav, would have been grounds for a minor scandal to begin with. Her father had died more than a year before and her mother had never remarried, yet here she was. Worse was her appearance; though she had no obvious deformities, Ustlavis were adept at spotting things that seemed out of place. In Tima's case, her white hair had some whispering her mother, a local medicine woman, had dallied with the dark elves said to dwell beneath Ustalav. Or perhaps something even worse.

Her mother, no fool, took her child and fled before somebody gathered enough firewood to make a pyre. Together they traveled south to Lepidstadt, where she remarried well. Tima's stepfather was a arcanist who had recently settled down after a lucrative life of adventuring.

After that Tima had fairly normal life. As things turned out, the outward appearance that had nearly earned her a public burning at home was really the only thing odd about her. Despite her mother's gifts with magic, her stepfather's guidance and whatever her bloodline carried, the girl exhibited no inborn talent for the Arts — despite a prodigious intellect. Her stepfather was content to marry her off and be done with her, but Petros, an adventuring acquaintance and fellow scholar, convinced him to send her to the University of Lepidstadt instead.

There, she threw herself into the study of alchemy, specifically pursuing techniques to mimic both arcane and divine magics through chemistry. The latter practice has been controversial — the local churches saw the use of pharmaceuticals to contact divine servants as borderline heresy. But Tima by this point had accumulated enough backers — several of whom were also patrons of the church — that she could continue her research unabated.

Petros Lorrimor, patron, instructor

Veklyri Ars, a prelate with the church of Pharasma

Gurov Ulster, a fellow alchemist who also delved into necromancy. Ulster was sacked in her final year, it was rumored he was involved in the Whspering Way, though he disappeared before any formal charges could be levied.

Stepbrother, Drahl Eisen: Priesthood of Pharasma. She's constantly badgering him for samples of holy water and insists there's really a physical secret ingredient he's not telling her about.

Mother: Elderly now, lives with her.

Petite and pale … is it from all the time spent in the lab, or something else? Wild, white hair, though she typically keeps it covered with a scarf, except in the lab.

Narbaculus
2024-01-24, 12:17 AM
Ekard Grimsbane, son of Edrukk, of Kraggodan (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2872812)
"Something big has been this way. Should we wait for it, or follow it?"

Ekard is a guardsdwarf, a warrior who patrols the tunnels and caverns beneath Kraggodan. He took well to his home's martial tradition, finding himself equally suited to keeping careful watch as to venturing forth to root out clandestine grimspawn. His vigilance and diligence in finding and fighting what lurks in the dark depths have earned him a fierce reputation, as well as a second name.

Kraggodan stands over several passageways down into the Darklands, whence come a myriad of terrible things. This persistent, tenebrous presence has drawn more than warriors to the mountain hold. Scholars who sought to learn the lore of aberrations and other monsters have often traveled to the Mindspin Mountains to speak with the dwarves who keep watch there. One such scholar, a Professor Petros Lorrimor, came from nearby Ustalav to learn what he could of the Darklands' denizens. Ekard was pointed out to the professor as a warrior of some sharpness. Ekard's many experiences underground proved to be a font of knowledge for the professor, who resolved to remain in correspondence with the dwarf.

The next two decades passed much as planned. Lorrimor would ask Ekard for his latest observations of aberrations and their ilk. Ekard would respond with the most carefully detailed narration he could muster, often accompanied by a question or two for the professor. Lorrimor would respond again with his scientific explanation of Ekard's account and ask him some clarifying questions in turn, all informed by the professor's own understanding of natural philosophy and monster lore. Occasionally, Ekard would consult with other loremasters who visited or inhabited his home, shoring up Lorrimor's research with Ekard's own. By this point, whole seasons might have passed, prompting Professor Lorrimor to ask for more observations.

Unfortunately, the professor is seldom able to make the trip to the Mindspin Mountains in person. However, his latest correspondence indicated that he wanted Ekard himself to come to Ravengro, where Lorrimor lives. It seemed the professor required some urgent assistance, though the details of the matter were sparce. Ekard, who had never been to Ustalav before, set out almost at once. A call for help is not lightly ignored, and Ekard will be glad to see his friend again...
https://i.imgur.com/boCD7h0.png

Rilem
2024-01-26, 12:27 PM
Revised Fatima's intro letter (in the post above) again, because she's the one who should be doing handwriting analysis, not her brother.

The_Snark
2024-01-27, 01:09 PM
Here is Irina Dorescu (https://og.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2869004), changeling rogue, an up-and-coming singer in Lepistadt's music scene who owes the Professor for mumble mumble helping her out of a tight spot. I'm not completely finished - still have to finalize skill points and write up a description, contacts/friends, and so on - but most of the character is there.

Inspectre
2024-01-27, 02:30 PM
With tomorrow being the cut-off, here is our updated list! Going to be hard to make a selection with so many good characters to pick from!

DarkOne-Rob
Kristoph
Half-Elf
Oradin

Farmerbink
Elian
Dhampir

Gyrfalcon
Aaron Eldaval
Human
Necromancer Wizard

Potential Recruits:

Rilem
Fatima
Half-Elf (Drow)
Sacrament Alchemist

Zero Prime
Lady Alexanna Vidivicci
Human
Blackblade Magus

Darius Vibrtar
Jared Joon
Human (Fey Blooded)
Chiurgeon Kineticist

Alhallor
Duncan
Human
Ranger

u-b
Ebert Malkovich
Human
Summoner

DarkNetwerk
Valerija
Human (Ulfen)
Barbarian

Beezus
Ekard Grimsbane
Dwarf
Fighter

The_Snark
Irina Dorescu
Changeling
Rogue

Inspectre
2024-01-28, 09:17 PM
So, I think we've got 12 applications (3 returning, 9 new applicants) with Spore's ratfolk promethean alchemist. That is enough to run three separate games of four-PC parties each!
Alas, I cannot run that many games at once, so the next best thing I can really do is to run a game with an oversized party, which I can probably only stretch to 8 PCs.
Which means I still need to cut 4 players from our list of applicants, all of which are interesting characters, so this was really tough for me!

My apologies to Spore, Darius Vibrtar, Alhallor, & u-b - you are the four I've chosen to be cut. I hope you have better luck in the next game you apply for, and if any of you want to be considered alternates in the event we have some drop-outs after the campaign gets rolling, feel free to PM me your interest in that!

Now, for those who have been selected, here is our list of selected applicants! An invite to the IC & OCC threads will be PM'd to you shortly!

Rilem
Fatima (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2008571)
Half-Elf (Drow)
Sacrament Alchemist

Zero Prime
Lady Alexanna Vidivicci (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2866393)
Human
Blackblade Magus

DarkNetwerk
Valerija (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets//?id=2868072)
Human (Ulfen)
Barbarian

Beezus
Ekard Grimsbane (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2872812)
Dwarf
Fighter

The_Snark
Irina Dorescu (https://og.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2869004)
Changeling
Rogue