PDA

View Full Version : Ki Shout generic name?

nick_crenshaw
2023-12-30, 09:41 PM
What would a good generic, neutral setting, name for the Ki Shout feat?

Rynjin
2023-12-30, 11:39 PM
I'm partial to "Ki Shout".

Morphic tide
2023-12-30, 11:51 PM
Given that Monk is core, "Ki Shout" is perfectly viable outside Rokugan. Taking it out of the disjointed Wuxia sideshow 3.x weirdly routinely flirts with is troublesome because without being rooted in Ki it's hard to justify how independent from Intimidate it is.

Malphegor
2023-12-31, 02:41 AM
'battle cry' maybe? Afaik from doing karate as a kid kiai irl is essentially the same as your typical warrior's battle cry

PoeticallyPsyco
2023-12-31, 10:08 AM
"Mighty Roar"

Darg
2023-12-31, 11:16 AM
Kiai Shout like it is in CW? Ok, ok, bad joke. If you want it to be generic, Intimidating Shout seems perfectly acceptable. Otherwise maybe open with fearsome? Awesome in the more archaic sense fits amazingly well.

Khedrac
2023-12-31, 11:32 AM
Or you one of the other spellings of "Ki" - "Qi shout", "Chi shout" etc.

Ashtagon
2023-12-31, 11:39 AM

That just changes it from "Japanese" to "Chinese". It doesn't make it generic.

Prime32
2023-12-31, 12:35 PM
Kiai Shout and Greater Kiai Shout are identical to the Mighty Roar and Greater Mighty Roar feats from Savage Species, just with different prerequisites. So you could use those names.

nick_crenshaw
2023-12-31, 01:49 PM
I'm partial to "Ki Shout".

Given that Monk is core, "Ki Shout" is perfectly viable outside Rokugan. Taking it out of the disjointed Wuxia sideshow 3.x weirdly routinely flirts with is troublesome because without being rooted in Ki it's hard to justify how independent from Intimidate it is.

I'm looking more for a name that would work in a New World/America or Dark Continent/Africa setting. Ok Shout is a requirement for the Singh Rager prestige class which I believe could work in both settings.

nick_crenshaw
2023-12-31, 01:52 PM
Kiai Shout and Greater Kiai Shout are identical to the Mighty Roar and Greater Mighty Roar feats from Savage Species, just with different prerequisites. So you could use those names.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

nick_crenshaw
2023-12-31, 01:56 PM
'battle cry' maybe? Afaik from doing karate as a kid kiai irl is essentially the same as your typical warrior's battle cry

I thought about that and the Battle Cry feat from the Player's Guide to Fighters and Barbarians is very similar but I just learned of Mighty Roar from Savage Species will be using that. Thank you anyways.

glass
2023-12-31, 02:23 PM
I'm looking more for a name that would work in a New World/America or Dark Continent/Africa setting. Ok Shout is a requirement for the Singh Rager prestige class which I believe could work in both settings.Presumably you are also renaming the prestige class, since if Japanese is a problem in those settings I guess Sanskrit is as well. Just going for the literal translation, "Lion Rager"?

Telonius
2023-12-31, 02:43 PM
American setting: "Oorah"

African setting: Lion's Roar (for savannah), or Leopard's Roar (for jungle)

Khedrac
2023-12-31, 04:53 PM

Since the word has effectively passed into English now, I consider it to be pretty generic in the first place. I suppose that a rough translation would be "empowering shout" (not sure on this as the dictionary I have to hand is too old to have any version of the word in it).

Rynjin
2023-12-31, 05:00 PM
I'm looking more for a name that would work in a New World/America or Dark Continent/Africa setting. Ok Shout is a requirement for the Singh Rager prestige class which I believe could work in both settings.

Well, the Chinese railroad workers and demolitionists had a huge hand in building "the new world" as we know it, so any variant of Ki still works there.

But more what I'm getting at is there's not really any point in expending this much brainpower to rename things formally. Just let a player do it if they want. If the class works mechanically in your setting then the fluff is already mutable and might vary from player to player that takes it. There's no reason to rename Samurai to Chevalier when another player might just say "Knight" or "Hussar".

The concept is already universal, the name doesn't need to be. Especially when it'll make it annoying to search up the Feat later as players start associating it with the new name and forget what the actual name is.

Kiai Shout like it is in CW? Ok, ok, bad joke.

Aight this one kind of peeves me. "Kiai" alone essentially just means "Ki Shout" so they just renamed it to 'Ki Shout Shout" at some point?

nick_crenshaw
2023-12-31, 05:44 PM
Presumably you are also renaming the prestige class, since if Japanese is a problem in those settings I guess Sanskrit is as well. Just going for the literal translation, "Lion Rager"?

Yes I will be, see below.

American setting: "Oorah"

African setting: Lion's Roar (for savannah), or Leopard's Roar (for jungle)

I'm sticking with Mighty Roar (and Greater Mighty Roar) but will use either either Lion Rager or maybe Simba Rager for Africa and Cougar Rager for North America.

Bohandas
2024-01-01, 03:37 AM

It's a lot more generic than "ki". "Chi" shows up in a lot of places, "Qi" shows up in a few, and "Ki" is practically nowhere

To the point where personally I assoviate it exclusively with D&D. The number of times I've seen it used outside of a D&D context could be counted on one hand

Ashtagon
2024-01-01, 06:48 AM
It's a lot more generic than "ki". "Chi" shows up in a lot of places, "Qi" shows up in a few, and "Ki" is practically nowhere

Really?

https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=chi%2C+qi%2C+ki&year_start=1800&year_end=2019&corpus=en-2019&smoothing=3

Qi doesn't start to rise until around the 1980s, which corresponds with wider Western recognition of the pinyin transcription standard that China adopted (which corresponds with when the West started trading with China). Ki shoots up from 2012 onwards. I suspect there may have been a pop culture reference that caused this.

(nb there will also be some false positives, such as Korean film director Kim Ki-duk. He reached international notability in 2012, but I doubt he was personally responsible for the rise in ki back then, even so.)

Whether to use ki or qi/chi really depends on whether the writer was talking about China or Japan.

Prime32
2024-01-01, 12:38 PM
Qi doesn't start to rise until around the 1980s, which corresponds with wider Western recognition of the pinyin transcription standard that China adopted (which corresponds with when the West started trading with China). Ki shoots up from 2012 onwards. I suspect there may have been a pop culture reference that caused this.
I want to say Dragonball had something to do with it, but IIRC official manga releases say "chi" (since the setting is Chinese-flavoured) while anime dubs say "energy". Not sure on the videogames.

Bohandas
2024-01-01, 01:44 PM
Whether to use ki or qi/chi really depends on whether the writer was talking about China or Japan.

Given that - in the west - it shows up most often in kung-fu movies (with an honorable mention going to new age tcm quacks) I don't think that qualifies them as equal

Duke of Urrel
2024-01-06, 07:29 PM
Miss Piggy recommends: Hiiii-yAH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4TFedidkpk