PDA

View Full Version : cleric PrC's..

daggaz
2007-12-12, 08:17 PM
Im playing in an online chat, and we have the following list of cleric prcs available to us:

Blighter
Consecrated Harrier
Divine Crusader
Entropomancer
Evangelist
Temple Raider

Of these, it seemed like divine crusader was maybe the only one worth looking into for my character, but i cant find much information about it... just wondering if its worth the time to think about, or should I go with straight cleric given the choices..

I have a lvl 5 (soon 6th) NG dwarf cleric who worships silverbeard, strength and war domains, very melee orientated.

Feats are Weapon Proficiency and Weapon Focus in dwarven waraxe (war domain), Improved Initiative (shaky flaw), Power Attack (lvl 1), and Extend Spell (lvl 3). Will most likely be taking Craft Wonderous next level, as it is a low wealth campaign world and there are no magic shops beyond simple potions and scrolls.

Stats are 16str 12dex 16con 8int 16wis 6cha.

Skills are almost maxed concentration, except one rank in know: religion.

Kagan
2007-12-12, 08:49 PM
I'd probably avoid these prestige classes - with only a few exceptions, cleric 20 is the best available cleric build... The list of prestige classes you were given does not contain any of those exceptions.

As a sidenote, I'm curious about the 'shaky' flaw - planning on using ranged attacks this campaign? :smallsigh:

Kaelik
2007-12-12, 08:50 PM
Im playing in an online chat, and we have the following list of cleric prcs available to us:

Blighter
Consecrated Harrier
Divine Crusader
Entropomancer
Evangelist
Temple Raider

As I understand it, Divine Crusader can be good is you build a specific type of build for it. But I don't know off hand. However, given your list, I don't know what to say because honestly, most of those aren't Cleric PrCs at all. Yes Clerics can enter them, Cleric's can also enter Exotic Weapon Master, that doesn't make it a Cleric PrC.

Blighter is a fallen Druid, and I don't think you can really get into it without at least five levels of Druid. It also sucks. Ur-Priest only much worse.
Consecrated Harrier is either Paladin, Ranger or both. Temple Raider is a rogue type.

Evangelist is separate spellcasting, also crappy.

I don't know about Entropomancer.

Honestly, given what I do know of the list, they removed every single +1 casting at every level PrC, and possibly every +1 casting level Prc Period. Since that is the reason to PrC as Cleric, it sounds like the answer is no.

Leon
2007-12-12, 08:55 PM
Crusader is more aimed at non cleric classes that want a bit of spellcasting - you get 1 Domain to cast spells from and it requires you to have a +7 BAB (Cleric reaches that at lvl 10)

Your better off staying with Pure cleric if your after spells and they can be just fine in melee as a pure class

Durendal
2007-12-12, 08:59 PM
I personally wouldn't take any of the PrC's you listed. Most of those PrC's don't give +1 to your existing spellcaster level (ie: cleric casting) but instead substitute it with another spell list.

Since most of the PrC's you listed are from Complete Divine I would look into the Hospitaler class. It continues your cleric casting only costing 3 levels, but gets you full BAB, bonus feats and some other goodies. This will help achieve the melee cleric image.

EDIT: Nevermind what I just said, Hospitaler require mounted combat and ride by attack, feats you dont have.

daggaz
2007-12-13, 07:25 AM
Hey thanks guys... Yeah I just copied the list of allowed PrC's that came from complete divine, theres some other ones from complete adventurer and drow of the underdark, but they didnt sound very clerical. And of course I ignored the list from complete arcane.

Well, guess I dont have to worry about qualifying for a prestige class, and fretting over my low low low skill point pool (negative int mods ftw!).

After some more intensive thought, I think Im gonna go with cleric 5, then maybe ten more levels of cleric, and follow it all up with some more cleric. I dont know tho, might toss a two level dip of cleric in there somewhere tho..

Darrin
2007-12-13, 08:58 AM
After some more intensive thought, I think Im gonna go with cleric 5, then maybe ten more levels of cleric, and follow it all up with some more cleric. I dont know tho, might toss a two level dip of cleric in there somewhere tho..

Seriously, with all that cleric, you'll be fine.

Most Cleric PrCs stink, primarily because they screw up your spellcasting. There aren't a lot of decent divine PrCs with full spellcasting. Pretty much all of the really good ones are from 3.0 Forgotten Realms books (Stormlord, Windwalker). Contemplative can be good if you need another domain, and Divine Oracle or Loremaster can be useful. Radiant Servant of Pelor and Sacred Exorcist can be useful against undead, but not in a way that really outperforms a straight vanilla Cleric.

Telonius
2007-12-13, 09:12 AM
I'd be very surprised if Loremaster isn't allowed, especially since it's in the DMG. It's better than any of the ones you mentioned. Although some people miss this (since it seems like a Wizard-y class), Clerics are allowed to enter it.

The feat requirement isn't that bad. Craft Wand, Extend Spell, and Craft Wondrous are things you probably want to take anyway; Skill Focus is the only wasted feat there. Getting two knowledge skills to 10 isn't that much of a strain. You'll lose BAB (unimportant to a Cleric) a bit of your Fort save, and be bumped down from d8 to d4 for hit points (dropping behind by 2 points per level on average; 20hp for the duration of the PrC). In return, you'll get (essentially) Bardic Knowledge, two extra languages, two extra skill points per level, free Identify, eventually 1/day Analyze Dweomer, a selection of neat tricks, possibly including a free feat that makes up for the one you lost getting into the class.

Kaelik
2007-12-13, 01:13 PM
Hey thanks guys... Yeah I just copied the list of allowed PrC's that came from complete divine,

Well you didn't actually copy all of them because a Complete Divine Cleric can specialize in casting an only take 5 levels of Cleric.

Cleric 5/Divine Oracle 5/Contemplative 10. That's a casting Cleric (who's also mostly just as good in combat.) All from Complete Divine. Why did you "copy the complete divine list" but skip over the good ones. And why did you put Blighter in there because it doesn't work for Clerics at all.

Inyssius Tor
2007-12-13, 01:57 PM
Yeah I just copied the list of allowed PrC's that came from complete divine ...tenchars fnee