PDA

View Full Version : Feats and Items for a Factotum

nargbop
2007-12-12, 08:23 PM
I'll be playing a factotum in the spring and need some ideas for improving this generally useful class. Starting at level 12, I'll have enormous intelligence and access to all sorts of magic, in a very limited, very planned manner.

Feats I know about :
NOT font of inspiration. Got to take this five times to be worthwhile, and I want Forge and Craft
Jack of All Trades ( is this even relevant if I intend to put >= 1 in every skill ? )
Empower Spell-Like Ability. This is a rules stretch, as my spell-like abilities are chosen intelligently instead of available racially. From Monster Manual 3; its limitation is spells of ( (caster level/2) - 2 ) so my factotum would be able to apply it to only cantrips at first, then 1st at level up. :smallbiggrin: Empowered Cantrips.

Gear :
The Headband of Intellect +6 is a given.
Maybe Ring of Spell Storing to counter the class' one big drawback - VERY limited spellcasting.
WHAT ELSE ? There don't seem to be many magic items that rely on Intelligence bonusses.

tsuyoshikentsu
2007-12-12, 09:21 PM
NOT font of inspiration. Got to take this five times to be worthwhile, and I want Forge and Craft

Forge Ring and Craft Wondrous Item? Yeah, you don't qualify. TAKE FOI.

Jack of All Trades ( is this even relevant if I intend to put >= 1 in every skill ? )

This is only ever worth it with Bardic Knack.

Empower Spell-Like Ability. This is a rules stretch, as my spell-like abilities are chosen intelligently instead of available racially. From Monster Manual 3; its limitation is spells of ( (caster level/2) - 2 ) so my factotum would be able to apply it to only cantrips at first, then 1st at level up. :smallbiggrin: Empowered Cantrips.

Empowered first-level spells versus more inspiration. LET'S THINK.

UserClone
2007-12-12, 09:29 PM
Jack of all Trades is pointless if you plan on taking at least 1 in every relevant skill.

A better idea might be Able Learner, if you plan on PrC-ing later, and it's also a prereq for the excellent Chameleon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041210b).

BardicDuelist
2007-12-12, 09:31 PM
FoI is actually worth it if you take it three or more times, not 5. You get one the first time, plus two the second, etc. so that if you take it three times you end up with +6, four gives you +10, and five +15.

That being said, Shape Soulmeld (Impulse Boots) gives you uncanny dodge, and Bind Least Chakra (Feet) with Impulse Boots gives you evasion. Both of those are nice, as they are things you can't normally get until 19th level without multiclassing.

If you go for a ranged combat thing, the Greater Manyshot chain is good. If you have the Str and go melee PA chain is good.

Combat Expertise can give you some more durability as you will spend less IP. Ijatsu Focus is a great skill for you, so I reccomend Quick Draw. Improved Feint may prove indespensible.

Iku Rex
2007-12-12, 10:12 PM
Headband +6 is not a given. It's usually too expensive to be worthwhile at level 12.

Books available?

JaxGaret
2007-12-12, 10:44 PM
Knowledge Devotion, from Complete Champion, has been pointed out to me as a good feat choice for a Factotum when I once suggested on the board that the best feat selection for a Factotum is simply Font of Inspiration, every single time, for all of its feats.

Knowledge Devotion essentially gives your character the ability to use Knowledge checks to gain combat bonuses.

An excellent multiclass choice for Factotum PCs is to splash 4 levels of Warblade into the mix, making the character an eventual Factotum16/Warblade4.

This adds a good bit of combat prowess to the Factotum, and reduces how much they'll have to do '1-round inspiration point-fueled blaze of glory, then stay out of the way' in combat.

One might be inclined to take the levels in Warblade at 5th, 8th (or 12th), 11th (or 15th), and 18th (for that 6th level stance) to maximize benefits.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-12-12, 11:05 PM
What race? Sounds like Gnome sticking to core with cantrips so able learner isn't an option.

I like the Font of Inspiration feats particularly with the Flaws variant so you can take some other feats to round out the PC.

If playing with FRCS material: Magic in the Blood feat from PGtF is nice. Spellfire Wielder from Magic of Faerun is nice also. A Reserve feat could be useful if your DM lets Arcane Diletante apply for fueling it. Some of the heritage feats like Fey or Fiendish Presence and Legacy have some nice spell like abilities which are really enhanced with Magic in the Blood feat.

Factotum - 11 with Marshal -1 with the Motivate Intelligence aura and a decent Charisma could be nice if not using -20% experience penalties for race.

Factotum - 8 Chameleon - 4 (3 with Marshal -1) could be nice but need to be a human or doppleganger.

Instead of a +6 Headband consider spreading that wealth around a little bit if using Marshal and enhancing Intelligence and Charisma.