PDA

View Full Version : General Adventure Ideas For Fantasy-Looking For More

JNAProductions
2024-01-03, 04:26 PM
Specifically D&D 5E for me, but I'm not so much looking for mechanical adventure ideas, but general concepts.

Current idea I'm positing is The Ancient Stone.
An ancient gemstone is said to contain a shard of pure creation from the conception of existence itself. Untold powers await those who can find and claim it for themselves, if they are able to use it properly.

And then just talk to my players and find reasons for their PCs to want the rock.

Trask
2024-01-03, 04:38 PM
Another mystical rock related adventure

The seven Elfstones were created by the ancients and then passed into the hands of the gnomes, who used them to found a small but mighty kingdom. But the greed of the giants led them to the land in search of the stones, and a war ensued. Now the Elfstones are lost, scattered across the land where the gnomish kingdom once stood. One is held by the gnomes, one by the dwarves, and one by the giants, but the others are lost, and the lands are a ruin without the rule of the gnome king. It is said that he who gathers all the stones will be declared King of a brand new Kingdom.

I imagine a sandbox campaign full of slaying, romping, exploring, sidequesting, possible espionage, drama, romance and all the good stuff. Gnomish clans and distrustful dwarves, greedy giants and their rivalries, and maybe even some hidden motivations for the war...perhaps not all is as simple as the bard's tales say.

KorvinStarmast
2024-01-03, 06:10 PM
Current idea I'm positing is The Ancient Stone.
An ancient gemstone is said to contain a shard of pure creation from the conception of existence itself. Untold powers await those who can find and claim it for themselves, if they are able to use it properly.
We did something very much like this in Phoenix Phyre's campaign (it was a shard or a claw, depends on who was holding it) that ended last year. It was used to banish a threat to the world and potentially creation itself. Big dramatic climactic battle at Char Level 16.

From that experience, I will suggest lacing their early adventures with some lore and stories that allude to this gem before it enters into the story itself by the PCs coming into possession of it.

-----------------------

FWIW, my players are underwhelmed by the Rod of Seven parts in my Salt Marsh campaign (of which they have six parts assembled so far) in my instance of the World of Greyhawk. Sometimes, and artifact may be more trouble than it is worth.

-----------------------------------

Have three different (newtorked) paths to get to "find the heart of the ancient mummy King since it is the necessary ingredient to insert (someplace) and stop the slow rot of {empire X} which is a world cataclysmic event if not countered. The trick is to not have the accomplishment tied to a liner progression in order to arrive at the recovery stage.

Thane of Fife
2024-01-09, 08:47 PM
There's a very nice collection of ideas at Strolen's Citadel (https://strolen.com/main). There are so many you might need to dig around for a while, but I've definitely gotten some good ideas from there before. (Looking on the left side under Browse > Featured > Random looks like a good way to pick through, unless you're looking for something more specific).