PDA

View Full Version : 3.P - Spell Choices for Secondary Spell Feat?

MaxiDuRaritry
2024-01-04, 12:11 AM
I've been reading through the 3rd party book The Practical Enchanter (Distant Horizons Games), and it's been quite enjoyable, as it has a lot of fun little humor bits, such as asides from a 28th level lich wizard ("EVIL WIZARD") who has managed to bypass computer security to insert his own commentary. Highly recommended for a fun read.

Anyway, I came across the Secondary Spell feat:

Secondary Spell (Divine)
You’ve become a living channel of divine power.
Prerequisites: Turn or Rebuke Undead, Level 5+, Wisdom 12+
Benefit: Your attempts to Turn or Rebuke Undead also produce two levels of secondary spell effects. While you must select these when this feat is taken and must receive approval from the game master, most clerical spells are eligible. Common choices include Protection from Evil and Cure Light Wounds (the latter on someone the user touches at the same time), Bless and Divine Favor, or Consecrate. Evil clerics often select spells like Doom and Cause Fear, Desecrate, or Summon Monster (some very minor undead). This does not make a single-target spell into an area effect.
Normal: Channeling has no side effect.

You can choose two 1st level spells or one 2nd level spell. Given how these things typically break down, I assume a 0-level spell counts as one-half of a level for this purpose, so you could have up to four cantrips or orisons, or two of those and one 1st level spell. And even if the author didn't consider it, for the purposes of this thread, let's say that's how it goes.

It gives you quite a few free castings, depending on how many turn/rebuke attempts you've got, with feats and equipment (night sticks) giving you access to quite a lot more than normal.

What spells would you choose for this? Feel free to come up with multiple combinations for different characters, including combos for low-level ones, mid-level ones, and high-level ones. Also, I assume different builds will want different things, such as 3.5's alter self for a martial-oriented character or an infiltrator. Please give a short description if the combo is for a specific character or archetype, if you would.

As mentioned above, I think 3.5's alter self would be a great for a martial-oriented or assassin-type character. It's got lots of offensive, defensive, utility, and movement options, and it will remain relevant for quite a long time, up to and through high levels, if you choose your forms well.

Khedrac
2024-01-04, 03:34 AM
I played in a 3.5 game where the party cleric was a combat medic and the DM found the sanctuary healing kicker very very annoying. Although the DC would be lower it could be a really good spell to prevent damage to the healed.

PoeticallyPsyco
2024-01-04, 03:21 PM
Divine insight is another good utility spell, assuming that at some point in the next few hours you'll need to roll a skill check.

Miss Disaster
2024-01-04, 03:32 PM
Resurgence (1st Level Cleric Spell - SpC) + Divine Favor (1st Level Cleric Spell - PHB)

That combo right there fixes harmful conditions and bolsters combat ability. Hard to beat.

Chronos
2024-01-04, 04:51 PM
The key here is that you get the normal Turning effect, and the spell effect. So for best use of the feat, you want the spell to be something that'll be useful at the same time as turning. That means either spells that are specifically useful while fighting undead, or spells that are just generally always useful. And it probably favors buffs over spells that fix things, since usually when you're going to turn undead, it's the first thing you do in the combat.

Maat Mons
2024-01-04, 09:31 PM
Do these have to be cleric spells? I’d like Entangle so they can’t flee. Or Faerie Fire so I can easily find them later. Seems fitting for a 3.5 Cleric with the Fey, Moon, Plant, or Watery Death domain. Or for a PF Cleric with the Plant domain, the Light subdomain of the Sun domain, or the Moon subdomain of the Darkness domain.

MaxiDuRaritry
2024-01-04, 09:35 PM
Do these have to be cleric spells? I’d like Entangle so they can’t flee. Or Faerie Fire so I can easily find them later. Seems fitting for a 3.5 Cleric with the Fey, Moon, Plant, or Watery Death domain. Or for a PF Cleric with the Plant domain, the Light subdomain of the Sun domain, or the Moon subdomain of the Darkness domain.Given that it only specifies 2 levels of spells but not what class's spells, and that the DM should approve the spells chosen but that most cleric spells should be automatically allowed, I'd say that any class's spells should be candidates for the feat. You don't even need to be able to cast them, since that's not a prereq.

I think some classes with unusually low levels for their spells, such as trapsmith, would go well with this feat. Haste is just a level 1 trapsmith spell, for instance.

Inevitability
2024-01-14, 03:35 PM
RAW, that doesn't seem to require you to expend components or respect casting times (Desecrate needs components, Summon Monster takes longer than a standard action to cast), so the obvious answer is to get silly with a spell that'd otherwise eat into those.

MaxiDuRaritry
2024-01-14, 03:50 PM
RAW, that doesn't seem to require you to expend components or respect casting times (Desecrate needs components, Summon Monster takes longer than a standard action to cast), so the obvious answer is to get silly with a spell that'd otherwise eat into those.Excellent points, there.

So assuming psionic powers count as spells (and there's not really much of a reason why they couldn't, since nothing in it specifically wouldn't work using power points instead of spell slots, aside from augmentation), psionic minor creation (level 1; manifesting time: 1 minute) and psionic identify (level 2; manifesting time: 1 day) would be excellent candidates. I think most DMs would probably frown on getting full augmentation for free, since two 20d6 energy rays every time you turn/rebuke undead might have them shaking their heads a bit. On the other hand, only getting two 1d6 energy rays would make the feat pretty pointless. But there are plenty of other good powers (and spells) to use, for sure.

pabelfly
2024-01-14, 05:35 PM
Deific Vengeance would let you add up to 10d6 damage while Turning.

MaxiDuRaritry
2024-01-14, 05:46 PM
Deific Vengeance would let you add up to 10d6 damage while Turning.Haha. I read the description for the spell, and it reminds me of Rin's catchphrase in Fate/Stay Night UBW Abridged.

"Actually-Satan? 100% MAXIMUM NO CHILL!"