PDA

View Full Version : Adventure for a longtime player leaving us. :(

kbob
2024-01-04, 03:19 PM
Hey y’all!

I have a player leaving for the Marines and this weekend is the last time we get to play with him. We are throwing him a surprise party with a cake that looks like crayons. Haha
Anyway, he wanted to make sure he played with us one last time. He has a level 17 Fighter (Champion). Even though he is a champion, he still pretty powerful and can dish out a lot of damage. He is a ranged build. We tend to lean to more deadly games (though I don’t wish to see his character die… I want him to leave a legacy. But feel well earned… which is what he wants).
He told me on the side that he would love a chance to become the head of the fighters guild in Waterdeep. At level 17 I think that this should be very doable. He never got around to joining until recently though. So my question: what ideas do y’all have for a high a challenging, epic adventure to send him on so he can become the head of the fighters guild? I’m looking for a worthy/challenge for a highly optimized group (he’s a champion but he is still “optimized” and has a some potent magic items). His focus is ranged. I don’t want a “give me” challenge for him. He doesn’t either. He wants to earn it. So deadly encounter but doable. Of course I can help from behind the screen if needed but I try not to do that much. Again spotlight on him but something everyone will want to join in on. We will have a big group playing. We have a pick up group and a lot will be there to say goodbye. Probably 7-9 players. I’m a veteran so I can handle it, though not my favorite. But this is a special event so I will accommodate the number of players.
Paladin, wizard, cleric, druid, ranger (UA version), fighter, and barbarian (plus others).
Again. Looking epic, hard but doable and rewarding, and something everyone will be involved and needed while putting spotlight on him.
Thoughts???

Atranen
2024-01-04, 03:31 PM
Single combat vs a heroic enemy, who breaks the deal as soon as the chips are down, sending his goons to attack the rest of the party (and giving them a chance to contribute)? He gets to lead the charge and 'win' the encounter, they get a fun combat.

Slipjig
2024-01-04, 05:35 PM
It seems to me that the main narrative hole you need to plug is why a presumably-senority-based organization is offering a leadership role to somebody who just joined. Two scenarios:

1) The old guildmaster is retiring, and he announces that his replacement will be the person who brings back a certain item of significance to the Guild's history. Short dungeon crawl, with at least one rival party.

2) The entire Guild is assembled for one of their High Feast Days, possibly Shieldmeet. Somebody who has beef with the Guild stages an attack, Red Wedding style (or possibly it's an internal coup attempt). Everyone at the Head Table is dead by the end of the surprise round. As one of the newest members of the Guild, the PC is sitting at the kids' table. The Apprentice seared next to him turns, and says, "Sir, what do we do?!?", and the PC realizes there are 20 terrified apprentices looking to him for direction.

Unoriginal
2024-01-04, 06:03 PM
Hey y’all!

I have a player leaving for the Marines and this weekend is the last time we get to play with him. We are throwing him a surprise party with a cake that looks like crayons. Haha
Anyway, he wanted to make sure he played with us one last time. He has a level 17 Fighter (Champion). Even though he is a champion, he still pretty powerful and can dish out a lot of damage. He is a ranged build. We tend to lean to more deadly games (though I don’t wish to see his character die… I want him to leave a legacy. But feel well earned… which is what he wants).
He told me on the side that he would love a chance to become the head of the fighters guild in Waterdeep. At level 17 I think that this should be very doable. He never got around to joining until recently though. So my question: what ideas do y’all have for a high a challenging, epic adventure to send him on so he can become the head of the fighters guild? I’m looking for a worthy/challenge for a highly optimized group (he’s a champion but he is still “optimized” and has a some potent magic items). His focus is ranged. I don’t want a “give me” challenge for him. He doesn’t either. He wants to earn it. So deadly encounter but doable. Of course I can help from behind the screen if needed but I try not to do that much. Again spotlight on him but something everyone will want to join in on. We will have a big group playing. We have a pick up group and a lot will be there to say goodbye. Probably 7-9 players. I’m a veteran so I can handle it, though not my favorite. But this is a special event so I will accommodate the number of players.
Paladin, wizard, cleric, druid, ranger (UA version), fighter, and barbarian (plus others).
Again. Looking epic, hard but doable and rewarding, and something everyone will be involved and needed while putting spotlight on him.
Thoughts???

At lvl 17, this Champion has what it takes to be a legendary figure known by the whole world and beyond.

What I'd do is have the Guild announces the Champion will be fighting for the position of Guildmaster, and combatants for all over Toril shows up to fight with him and test their mutual mettle.

I'm talking about master of martial disciplines and legendary combatants from the desert, the mountains, the forests, the swamps the plains. From the depths of the Underdark and from the depths of the sea. Even from other planes, be it Ysgard, Acheron, Hell, Celestia or any other.

I'm talking about celebrated Monks like Bak Mei and Hlam, who have their own schools, and the children of the Giants' gods, and heroes like Ishi Snaggletooth and Minsc (and Boo).

Heck, Laeral Silverhand, former barbarian queen, Chosen of the Goddess of Magic and current Open Lord of Waterdeep, would certainly want to have a few rounds herself.

Yep, that's what I'd do. A gauntlet of awesome combatants for all over the Forgotten Realms and the planes, all here just for the chance to fight this one Champion.

J-H
2024-01-04, 07:55 PM
Solo combat doesn't fit the group, though. A sudden gap of leadership does.

So...what's a fun, epic memorable battle?
Lich
Dragon
Beholder
Balrog Balor
Giants

Pick two and mix. Lich on a Dragon is kind of nice.

JonBeowulf
2024-01-04, 10:13 PM
Don't be concerned about PC death. Sometimes the greatest thing a fighter-type character can do is lay down their life for the party. My V-pal did it an couple years ago and it's still the talk of the group. If he's leaving, let him leave a hero... whether living or dead. It can be an emotional "HELL YEAH!" thing that will last forever.