PDA

View Full Version : my dead fancy NPC generator

hotspur95
2024-01-04, 03:58 PM
Hi all!
I made an NPC generator (for Version 3.5).

I wanted to create something that would make NPCs that could be used right away without having to add anything.

I did it for my own game, but my players have suggested that others might like to use it.

Its features:
• 14 races
• 17 classes
• 3 templates (Vampire, lich and skeleton) that can be applied
• Re-roll 1s option on stat rolls
• Optional buffs for higher level NPCs
• Everything needed to run a character straight away – stats, skills, equipment, feats, spells.
• Animal companions and familiars

It’s not got any fancy graphics, its designed so you can cut and paste into a text editor.

I don’t want to break the rules by posting a link, but if you search for:

roztov epizy NPCDD

You’ll find it. I like the other NPC generators out there, but I wanted something a bit more full on 😊

Here is a sample output:

This is Helly Wolf-friend, the Human Druid.
Helly is a Human. She is dressed in well made hide armour. She has curly black hair and grey eyes. She has pale coloured skin. She has a scar across her mouth.
She is mature in appearance, of average height and thin when compared to others of her race.

Helly Wolf-friend has strong body odor.

Racial Traits (DC 15 Knowledge): Helly is an Illuskan. One of the proud, fair-skinned sea-faring people who hailed from the Sword Coast North.

Hidden Traits (DC 20 Spot): Helly has a good sense of humour.

Personal History: Helly has been a Druid for sixteen years. Helly has four children. Helly is a member of a Druidic circle.

CHARACTER SHEET

[Name: Helly Wolf-friend] [Level: 16 ] [ Class: Druid 16 ] [ Gender: Female ]

[ Race: Human ] [ Type: Humanoid (Human) ] [ Size: Medium ]

[ Alignment: True Neutral ] [ Hit Points: 79 ] [ AC: 28 ] [ Flat Footed: 27 ] [ Touch: 11 ] [ Initiative: 1 ]

[Age: 48 years. ] [ Height: 165cms (5 feet and 5 inches). ] [ Weight: 65 kg (143 lbs) ]

[ Base Attack Bonus: 12/7/2/- ] [ Fortitude: 10 ] [ Reflexes: 6 ] [ Willpower: 15 ]

[ Base Melee Attack: 12/7/2/- ] [ Base Ranged Attack: 13/8/3/- ]

[Melee Attack: 14/9/4/- ] [ Damage: 1d6+2 ]
[Ranged Attack: 13/8/3/- ] [ Damage: 1d4+0 ]

[ STR: 11 (0) ] [ DEX: 13 (+1) ] [ CON: 11 (0) ] [ INT: 13 (+1) ] [ WIS: 21 (+5) ] [ CHA: 12 (+1) ]

WEAPONS: Light Mace +2, Masterwork Darts (10)

EQUIPMENT: Hide Armor +2, Heavy Wooden Shield +1, Ring of Protection +2, Amulet of Natural Armor +2, Periapt of Wisdom +4, Potion of Fly, Robe of Bones, Boots of Levitation, Spyglass, Thieves' tools, Wooden Holy Symbol, Silver Earrings, Average lock, Small Key, Foreign Coins, Two Six-Sided Dice, Gold cup set with emeralds, Golden yellow topaz, Bloodstone, Carved bone statuette, Emerald, Banker's Note for 10000 gp, 669 gp

ANIMAL COMPANION: Tyrannosaurus (Level -15) (Bonus HD +10, Natural Armour +10, Str/Dex Adj +5, Bonus Tricks: 6, Link, share spells, Evasion, Devotion, Multiattack, Improved evasion)

SKILLS: Appraise 1, Autohypnosis 3, Balance 1, Bluff 3, Climb 4, Concentration 11, Control Shape 3, Craft 9, Decipher Script 1, Diplomacy 9, Disable Device 1, Disguise 1, Escape Artist 1, Forgery 1, Gather Information 1, Handle Animal 14, Heal 22, Hide 5, Intimidate 3, Jump 3, Knowledge (local) 1, Knowledge (arcana) 1, Knowledge (nature) 12, Knowledge (history) 1, Knowledge (religion) 1, Knowledge (the planes) 1, Knowledge (geography) 6, Knowledge (dungeoneering) 5, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) 1, Listen 11, Move Silently 5, Open Lock 1, Perform 1, Psicraft 1, Profession 17, Ride 12, Search 1, Sense Motive 3, Sleight of Hand 3, Spellcraft 6, Spot 14, Survival 16, Swim 14, Tumble 1, Use Magic Device 1, Use Psionic Device 1, Use Rope 3

Druid Spells Per Day: Level 0: 6 / Level 1: 6 / Level 2: 6 / Level 3: 6 / Level 4: 4 / Level 5: 4 / Level 6: 3 / Level 7: 3 / Level 8: 2 / Level 9: 0

Druid Spells Memorised:
0- , Mending, Detect Poison, Light, Detect Poison, Create Water, Virtue
1- , Magic Stone, Magic Stone, Speak with Animals, Detect Animals or Plants, Shillelagh, Charm Animal
2- , Bear's Endurance, Animal Trance, Flame Blade, Flame Blade, Bull's Strength, Restoration - Lesser
3- , Daylight, Cure Moderate Wounds, Wind Wall, Dominate Animal, Wind Wall, Plant Growth
4- , Repel Vermin, Cure Serious Wounds, Flame Strike, Blight
5- , Call Lightning Storm, Transmute Mud to Rock, Hallow, Transmute Mud to Rock
6- , Transport via Plants, Dispel Magic - Greater, Bull's Strength - Mass
7- , Sunbeam, Scrying - Greater, True Seeing
8- , Reverse Gravity, Earthquake

FEATS: Persuasive, Combat Reflexes, Stealthy, Armor Proficiency (Heavy), Quick Draw, Deft Hands, Animal Companion, Nature Sense, Wild Empathy, Woodland Stride, Trackless Step, Resist Nature's Lure, Wild Shape (5/day, Large, Tiny, Plant, Huge, Elemental 1/day), Venom Immunity, A Thousand Faces, Timeless Body,

RACIAL FEATS:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Druids are proficient with the following weapons: club, dagger, dart, quarterstaff, scimitar, sickle, shortspear, sling, and spear. They are also proficient with all natural attacks (claw, bite, and so forth) of any form they assume with wild shape (see below). Druids are proficient with light and medium armor but are prohibited from wearing metal armor; thus, they may wear only padded, leather, or hide armor. (A druid may also wear wooden armor that has been altered by the ironwood spell so that it functions as though it were steel. See the ironwood spell description) Druids are proficient with shields (except tower shields) but must use only wooden ones. A druid who wears prohibited armor or carries a prohibited shield is unable to cast druid spells or use any of her supernatural or spell-like class abilities while doing so and for 24 hours thereafter.

Penalties on Former Classes:

Languages: Common , Dwarven

H_H_F_F
2024-01-04, 04:27 PM
That's impressive, for an automatic generator. Items (kind of), and it maximizes Wis. Feats are the sort of trash that example npcs usually take.

However, just at a glance, the AC seems to be off (I think) while she seems to not have a human bonus feat. Any idea why that might be?

hotspur95
2024-01-05, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the input!

Yes, the basic Feats selection is completely random and there is an existing bug where it sometimes selects the same Feat twice.
It's an area I need to work on.

All feats should feed into the stats though.

I'll make a note to check if the Human Feat selection works. I might tag it as such too, as I do with regular character sheets.

I'll check the AC, I did a lot of work on it recently, it should take into account every mod, but I could have a bug there somewhere.

Metastachydium
2024-01-05, 08:39 AM
(I don't have much to add (beyond how maxing CHA on a Warlock as the generator did for me is usually suboptimal), but know that I love how Slyth and Warlock, of all things, made it into the final cut. I'm very fond of those two, odd picks as they may be.)

hotspur95
2024-01-05, 04:00 PM
(I don't have much to add (beyond how maxing CHA on a Warlock as the generator did for me is usually suboptimal), but know that I love how Slyth and Warlock, of all things, made it into the final cut. I'm very fond of those two, odd picks as they may be.)

Thanks for the input!

I'm always adding to this, depending on what is needed in my game.
I like Slyths and the players were in the Underdark so I added them into the generator :)

And Warlocks play a big part in our current campaign

hotspur95
2024-01-05, 04:02 PM
I recently added an option to buff NPCs with common spells (imagine the NPCS had enough time to apply buffs they have prepared etc) and it was adding it to the AC whether the option was ticked or not!

That should be fixed now.

Example output:

This is Hasher Yatesta, the Human Druid.
Hasher is a Human. He is dressed in well made hide armour. He has curly ginger hair and brown eyes. He has dark coloured skin. He has a long beard. He has a scar across his nose.
He is middle-aged in appearance, very tall and of average weight when compared to others of his race.

Hasher Yatesta has a coin for flipping.

Racial Traits (DC 15 Knowledge): Hasher is an Illuskan. One of the proud, fair-skinned sea-faring people who hailed from the Sword Coast North.

Hidden Traits (DC 20 Spot): Hasher has a love of animals.

Personal History: Hasher has been a Druid for sixteen years. Hasher is a great enemy of bear and He seeks out and slays them at every opertunity. Hasher has never joined a Druidic circle, they are just too independant.

CHARACTER SHEET

[Name: Hasher Yatesta] [Level: 16 ] [ Class: Druid 16 ] [ Gender: Male ]

[ Race: Human ] [ Type: Humanoid (Human) ] [ Size: Medium ]

[ Alignment: Neutral Good ] [ Hit Points: 109 ] [ AC: 27 ] [ Flat Footed: 27 ] [ Touch: 10 ] [ Initiative: 0 ] ] (AC Mods: AC = 10+[Dex Bonus: +0][Equip/Buff Bonus: +17])

[Age: 40 years. ] [ Height: 195cms (6 feet and 5 inches). ] [ Weight: 86 kg (189 lbs) ]

[ Base Attack Bonus: 12/7/2/- ] [ Fortitude: 11 ] [ Reflexes: 5 ] [ Willpower: 19 ]

[ Base Melee Attack: 13/8/3/- ] [ Base Ranged Attack: 12/7/2/- ]

[Melee Attack: 15/10/5/- ] [ Damage: 1d6+3 ]
[Ranged Attack: 12/7/2/- ] [ Damage: 1d10+0 ]

[ STR: 12 (+1) ] [ DEX: 11 (0) ] [ CON: 12 (+1) ] [ INT: 14 (+2) ] [ WIS: 28 (+9) ] [ CHA: 10 (0) ]

WEAPONS: Heavy Pick +2, Masterwork Heavy Crossbow

EQUIPMENT: Hide Armor +2, Heavy Wooden Shield +1, Ring of Protection +2, Amulet of Natural Armor +2, Periapt of Wisdom +4, Boots of Levitation, Spyglass, Ring of Swimming, Potion of Fly, Bearclaw Knecklace, Average lock, Iron Key, Torch, Gold Ring, Waterskin, Silver Earrings, Gold and ruby ring, Blue diamond, Silver ewer, Blue diamond, Golden yellow topaz, 1643 gp

Buffs:
Barkskin: Grants +2 (or higher) enhancement to natural armor.
Owl's Wisdom: Subject gains +4 to Wis for 1 min./level.
Spider Climb: Grants ability to walk on walls and ceilings.

ANIMAL COMPANION: Crocodile (Level -3) (Bonus HD +10, Natural Armour +10, Str/Dex Adj +5, Bonus Tricks: 6, Link, share spells, Evasion, Devotion, Multiattack, Improved evasion)

SKILLS: Appraise 5, Autohypnosis 5, Balance 3, Bluff 1, Climb 6, Concentration 7, Control Shape 5, Craft 18, Decipher Script 8, Diplomacy 12, Disable Device 5, Disguise 2, Escape Artist 6, Forgery 4, Gather Information 5, Handle Animal 17, Heal 18, Hide 0, Intimidate 0, Jump 1, Knowledge (local) 4, Knowledge (arcana) 2, Knowledge (nature) 10, Knowledge (history) 2, Knowledge (religion) 2, Knowledge (the planes) 2, Knowledge (geography) 2, Knowledge (dungeoneering) 2, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) 2, Listen 22, Move Silently 4, Open Lock 2, Perform 3, Psicraft 2, Profession 21, Ride 13, Search 2, Sense Motive 9, Sleight of Hand 0, Spellcraft 14, Spot 20, Survival 18, Swim 12, Tumble 0, Use Magic Device 2, Use Psionic Device 0, Use Rope 0

Druid Spells Per Day: Level 0: 6 / Level 1: 7 / Level 2: 6 / Level 3: 6 / Level 4: 5 / Level 5: 5 / Level 6: 3 / Level 7: 3 / Level 8: 2 / Level 9: 0

Druid Spells Memorised:
0- , Virtue, Detect Poison, Virtue, Detect Magic, Know Direction, Know Direction
1- , Pass without Trace, Obscuring Mist, Entangle, Summon Nature's Ally I, Produce Flame, Charm Animal, Detect Animals or Plants
2- , Summon Nature's Ally II, Summon Swarm, Spider Climb, Chill Metal, Flame Blade, Delay Poison
3- , Wind Wall, Remove Disease, Summon Nature's Ally III, Cure Moderate Wounds, Diminish Plants, Poison
4- , Antiplant Shell, Repel Vermin, Blight, Freedom of Movement, Antiplant Shell
5- , Wall of Fire, Hallow, Wall of Fire, Hallow, Wall of Fire
6- , Transport via Plants, Spellstaff, Owl's Wisdom - Mass
7- , True Seeing, Transmute Metal to Wood, Scrying - Greater
8- , Whirlwind, Word of Recall

FEATS: (H)Diligent, Magical Aptitude, Shield Proficiency, Athletic, Combat Reflexes, Armor Proficiency (Medium), Animal Companion, Nature Sense, Wild Empathy, Woodland Stride, Trackless Step, Resist Nature's Lure, Wild Shape (5/day, Large, Tiny, Plant, Huge, Elemental 1/day), Venom Immunity, A Thousand Faces, Timeless Body,

RACIAL FEATS:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Druids are proficient with the following weapons: club, dagger, dart, quarterstaff, scimitar, sickle, shortspear, sling, and spear. They are also proficient with all natural attacks (claw, bite, and so forth) of any form they assume with wild shape (see below). Druids are proficient with light and medium armor but are prohibited from wearing metal armor; thus, they may wear only padded, leather, or hide armor. (A druid may also wear wooden armor that has been altered by the ironwood spell so that it functions as though it were steel. See the ironwood spell description) Druids are proficient with shields (except tower shields) but must use only wooden ones. A druid who wears prohibited armor or carries a prohibited shield is unable to cast druid spells or use any of her supernatural or spell-like class abilities while doing so and for 24 hours thereafter.

Penalties on Former Classes:

Languages: Common , Dwarven , Elven

Pezzo
2024-01-05, 05:39 PM
Wow this is fast, only problems i noticed are the number of feats, using level 16 I tried different races and that changes the number of feats, and sometimes it picks proficiency feats that are redundant with the class proficiencies or picks the same feat twice. But that's not a problem as you would probably pick feats manually.
Also the animal companion block lists the correct bonuses for the druid level, but doesn't take into account the reduced effective druid level for alternative animals.

redking
2024-01-07, 10:24 AM
Great stuff. I have built some HTML + Javascript generators myself, albeit to handle calculations like skillpoints and the like. Don't forget the psion! Also, its not clear to me where the NPCs are getting their ability scores. Is it a dice roll? How about an option of standard and elite arrays?

hotspur95
2024-01-08, 10:42 AM
Wow this is fast, only problems i noticed are the number of feats, using level 16 I tried different races and that changes the number of feats, and sometimes it picks proficiency feats that are redundant with the class proficiencies or picks the same feat twice. But that's not a problem as you would probably pick feats manually.
Also the animal companion block lists the correct bonuses for the druid level, but doesn't take into account the reduced effective druid level for alternative animals.

Thanks for the feedback! Yes feats need a bit of work and thanks for spotting the bug with Druid animal companions - I'll add it to the bug list :)

hotspur95
2024-01-08, 10:48 AM
Great stuff. I have built some HTML + Javascript generators myself, albeit to handle calculations like skillpoints and the like. Don't forget the psion! Also, its not clear to me where the NPCs are getting their ability scores. Is it a dice roll? How about an option of standard and elite arrays?

Thanks for the feedback!
Yeah - the dice rolls are ugly. I tried 4d6 drop lowest, but then I got all muddled up with assigning to class stats and the code is a bit of a fudge :)

Looking at other NPC makers I've seen that you can sometimes select the dice roll method so I might do that some time, but remembering what that code is like its giving me the shudders just thinking about it.

The 'Re-roll ones?' option is on by default. if that is set to No then the NPCs get a bit more rubbish.

I'll add sorting all that out to my to do list - and Psions too!

redking
2024-01-08, 10:49 AM
I'll shoot you some code by PM!

hotspur95
2024-01-11, 10:49 AM
I'll shoot you some code by PM!

Thanks very much :)

noce
2024-01-11, 11:03 AM
[ Base Attack Bonus: 12/7/2/- ] [ Fortitude: 10 ] [ Reflexes: 6 ] [ Willpower: 15 ]

[ Base Melee Attack: 12/7/2/- ] [ Base Ranged Attack: 13/8/3/- ]

[Melee Attack: 14/9/4/- ] [ Damage: 1d6+2 ]
[Ranged Attack: 13/8/3/- ] [ Damage: 1d4+0 ]

[ STR: 11 (0) ] [ DEX: 13 (+1) ] [ CON: 11 (0) ] [ INT: 13 (+1) ] [ WIS: 21 (+5) ] [ CHA: 12 (+1) ]

WEAPONS: Light Mace +2, Masterwork Darts (10)

Ranged Attack should be 14/9/4, it seems that you're not taking into account the +1 from Masterwork Darts.

hotspur95
2024-01-16, 10:19 AM
Ranged Attack should be 14/9/4, it seems that you're not taking into account the +1 from Masterwork Darts.

Thanks for the spot!
That should be easy to fix...

Elrak
2024-01-23, 07:07 PM
Cool stuff and I will probably be using it. That said after rolling a few random generations I noticed that aside the double selection of feats, the selection of spells may also be duplicate and in regards to the AC I think there may be an issue with the type stacking. E.G. I saw a character with bracers of armor and a masterwork studded leather which both to my knowledge provide an Armor bonus and should not stack but did in the calculated values.